ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Faces No. 16 Wisconsin Sunday in Madison / Match Thread

Bill I guess that's why it surprises me even more how critical some posters are of the Rutgers program or maybe how nasty they can get on this forum. We have an incredible program with great fans, donors, facilities, coaches, athletic dept. and student athletes. I have traveled to almost every single event for Rutgers wrestling and have seen what the coaches have to deal with behind the scenes for the last 8 years since JVB started with the program. Most of which I will never mention on a forum. There has been so many ups and downs with JVB and MVB's wrestling careers, which is the same in life. We all can't be as great as Crackers! My two boys were not blue chip recruits or even State champs, however the Rutgers program has helped them both become Academic All Americans, both ranked in the top 20 multiple times and even top 10 for a moment! LOL As a father I can not be more proud of both of the wrestling careers, academic careers, and they are just good young men.
I believe they are both the epitome of NJ wrestling. Blue collar guys that just busted their balls to become as good as they can be. There are just so many high quality wrestlers that never make it in D1 wrestling it is just that difficult. So sometimes when posters are so critical of the program it just baffles me. Especially Crackers as he knows how difficult it is to become a Top 10 program and we are so close. Personally if any parent ever asked me about the Rutgers program I would tell them that it has everything in place for them to succeed. My experience as a parent has been phenomenal and I believe we have a great coaching staff.
I am not looking to start a keyboard fight with any of the negative posters. Just reminding them of how good our wrestling program is today.
Also not making excuses for the team or even MVB as he did not have his best match of the year. To wrestle Friday night and get done around 10:00pm, then go work out because you need to make weight on Sunday, meet at 7:00am the next morning to travel across the country, then have a 4:30 practice, maybe get to eat a snack, or maybe still have to run to lose a few more pounds, then wake up Sunday morning and realize you still need to work out again to make weight, then walk in to Wisconsin which was a hostile environment, then expected to wrestle your best is really difficult. I was exhausted just from doing all the traveling! LOL I believe the team performed really well with the short turn around and all the traveling.
Crackers this not an excuse for MVB. He lost all of the 50/50 positions. Maybe if he won one of the positions the match could have gone differently. He will bust his balls to maybe turn around that match the next time. There is nobody more upset then himself or us. I am sure he wanted to be the hero and win the match for the team. Luckily the major did not lose it for the team, but I like that he just wants to win.
So regardless of how negative some posters can be about our program, it is one of the best in the country. Also don't make fun of my grammatical errors as I never said I was a good writer.

Bill I guess that's why it surprises me even more how critical some posters are of the Rutgers program or maybe how nasty they can get on this forum. We have an incredible program with great fans, donors, facilities, coaches, athletic dept. and student athletes. I have traveled to almost every single event for Rutgers wrestling and have seen what the coaches have to deal with behind the scenes for the last 8 years since JVB started with the program. Most of which I will never mention on a forum. There has been so many ups and downs with JVB and MVB's wrestling careers, which is the same in life. We all can't be as great as Crackers! My two boys were not blue chip recruits or even State champs, however the Rutgers program has helped them both become Academic All Americans, both ranked in the top 20 multiple times and even top 10 for a moment! LOL As a father I can not be more proud of both of the wrestling careers, academic careers, and they are just good young men.
I believe they are both the epitome of NJ wrestling. Blue collar guys that just busted their balls to become as good as they can be. There are just so many high quality wrestlers that never make it in D1 wrestling it is just that difficult. So sometimes when posters are so critical of the program it just baffles me. Especially Crackers as he knows how difficult it is to become a Top 10 program and we are so close. Personally if any parent ever asked me about the Rutgers program I would tell them that it has everything in place for them to succeed. My experience as a parent has been phenomenal and I believe we have a great coaching staff.
I am not looking to start a keyboard fight with any of the negative posters. Just reminding them of how good our wrestling program is today.
Also not making excuses for the team or even MVB as he did not have his best match of the year. To wrestle Friday night and get done around 10:00pm, then go work out because you need to make weight on Sunday, meet at 7:00am the next morning to travel across the country, then have a 4:30 practice, maybe get to eat a snack, or maybe still have to run to lose a few more pounds, then wake up Sunday morning and realize you still need to work out again to make weight, then walk in to Wisconsin which was a hostile environment, then expected to wrestle your best is really difficult. I was exhausted just from doing all the traveling! LOL I believe the team performed really well with the short turn around and all the traveling.
Crackers this not an excuse for MVB. He lost all of the 50/50 positions. Maybe if he won one of the positions the match could have gone differently. He will bust his balls to maybe turn around that match the next time. There is nobody more upset then himself or us. I am sure he wanted to be the hero and win the match for the team. Luckily the major did not lose it for the team, but I like that he just wants to win.
So regardless of how negative some posters can be about our program, it is one of the best in the country. Also don't make fun of my grammatical errors as I never said I was a good writer.
Great post. 2 kids wrestling not only D1 but in big 10 is quite an accomplishment, remember both from hs. I think Harley is a lightning rod for criticism from a few posters, esp posting abt mvb. The crackers vs Harley sideshow seems to be fueled more by Harley that’s all he posts. At least crackers spreads it around.

Knowing you and both JVB and MVB has been an unexpected benefit of working with the SKWC. Most of the people on this board don’t get the opportunity to see that the Rutgers program truly is a family.
Both of your sons are true student athletes who embrace the grind, have their teammates backs, and will be successful in anything they choose to do going forward. Sitting next to you over the years in the RAC I know that while you are 100% engaged when the VB boys grapple your intensity remains high for the other guys on our team as well.
We have some passionate fans and sometimes the conversations on this board get carried away and go sideways. Put it in perspective. The first dual that Scott and Leo coached in The Barn drew 22 fans. This program has come a long way through the efforts of a lot of people. There is still room to improve and we all recognize that. Not every athlete or coach gets it right all the time and pointing that out without personal attacks is fair game. Just save the vitriol for the guys who don’t wear scarlet.

Last edited:
Was wondering if you called yourself DVB (Dad Van Brill).
Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of watching your sons wrestle for RU!

Mr VB
Tell my boy John I am pissed at him for not coming down to see me at intermission because I thought he had the seats with his girlfriend for the Indiana match!! Tell Mike I still love him no matter what he does the rest of the year.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the boys and our family. We are very proud how Rutgers has helped our boys be the best they could be. When I walk into the Rutgers arena I am proud of what both boys accomplished with help from a lot of great people in the program.
Obviously I know Harley and he has been a big fan of the boys since they were 8 years old. He would go to local tournaments to watch them when they were little, high school, and college. I don't always agree with what he says on the forum and sometimes cringe because I feel like he over protects them! LOL So protective that I knew people would think it was Sue or I. If anyone truly knows us, we don't protect our kids. LOL Except maybe when Crackers goes a little too far.
I really don't have an issue with Crackers criticism usually it is very knowledgeable assessments of each wrestler and his tendencies. It is more the way he delivers the criticism.
I am more upset that 8 years went so fast and it is almost over. I enjoyed it so much and appreciate all the great Rutgers fans that have been so supportive of our family. Going to miss watching one of them wrestle in front of such a great fan base and arena.

Well said

Mr VB
Tell my boy John I am pissed at him for not coming down to see me at intermission because I thought he had the seats with his girlfriend for the Indiana match!! Tell Mike I still love him no matter what he does the rest of the year.
He was supposed to stop by and see me at Army. Guess we both need to straighten our guy out!!

I will straighten him out! I think sometimes he probably hates being in the stands watching. He probably would pay to be able to wrestle another 4 years, but it is time to put on the big boy pants and get to work! LOL

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Mike
You probably know my wife has Alzheimer’s and is wheelchair bound as she no longer can walk. So I have 24/7 live in aide helping care for her as it is a two person job. She would accompany me to see the boys practice and sit on the bench with me in the dungeon. I shall always treasure your son John and the way he treated her, talked to her and hugged her. She really loved him and used to wipe the sweat from his face caused she hated to see him sweat. He and Gravina were her favorites!

Did I not say that parents read what’s being said here about their kids ..the kids themselves see the vitriol at times throw there way ...criticism is one thing ..personal attacks are another ...for almost 8 years I’ve witnessed it and got attacked for calling some out for it ...I don’t just defend the VB boys either ..stuff said about JoJo one match had gotten so bad a couple parents challenged Crackers to a fight in the parking lot for God’s sake ...he got booted for it ...then talking about a kids haircut somehow effecting Boone’s effort is another one ...I can go on but who does that ..Scott’s integrity gets questioned a lot for his decisions which some don’t agree with ...for wrestlers who have gotten to this level of competition they should know how hard it is which makes me question their real level of participation....not one kid on RU goes out there to look bad or disappoint some of you but you comment like they did...I get it that you pay for the right to criticize through donations etc but all I’ve ever said was stop the personal attacks and keep to critique they might learn from ....not their efforts ...you try doing what they do ..trust me many would fail !....enough said !

I’m still waiting for an example of a single personal attack that occurred during the match. They simply did not happen and if someone can provide me an example of one I will criticize that person as Harley has.

But honestly I’d rather we all just move on. Illinois and Penn State this week. Another weekend with a quick turnaround and a road trip.

I thought the stalls were a bit much by the refs, definitely not balanced. The team was a bit lethargic, but you can turn around and say the same about some of the Wisconsin hammers like the guy who beat Andy Clark.

Some of us here need to relax with the personal attacks on these kids, after all, they are kids. Let's see what happens with the development of the season for some of these guys and who knows what growth can be made.
I guess this guy was lying too ...point made !....you want to deny it happens feel free but some of us see it while you don’t I guess ..enough said let’s move on !

I completely side with you on the Crackers nonsense. I even said so yesterday. No one else has made a personal attack.
Stop burying your head in the sand ..it happens all the time not just yesterday ...that’s my point ...don’t believe me ..oh well ,

Mike
You probably know my wife has Alzheimer’s and is wheelchair bound as she no longer can walk. So I have 24/7 live in aide helping care for her as it is a two person job. She would accompany me to see the boys practice and sit on the bench with me in the dungeon. I shall always treasure your son John and the way he treated her, talked to her and hugged her. She really loved him and used to wipe the sweat from his face caused she hated to see him sweat. He and Gravina were her favorites!
Yes I am so sorry. I know she has been struggling. Bill you will definitely be one of the people I remember from this experience. You have always been so nice and supportive to us. I will tell John and make sure he looks for you next match.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
PSU fan here, and I think this is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this board.

Quite honestly, I can't even imagine being on a message board like this, as the parent of a wrestler. More power to you, and good luck to the rest of the way. (Except against PSU, of course.) 😂

PSU fan here, and I think this is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this board.

Quite honestly, I can't even imagine being on a message board like this, as the parent of a wrestler. More power to you, and good luck to the rest of the way. (Except against PSU, of course.) 😂
WHAT?

You guys on that dysfunctional board rip wrestlers to shreds all the time. This board is like Mother Terresa became a wrestling fan compared to that cesspool you oozed out of. You should see some of the sh*t talk about Rutgers wrestlers over there.

Last edited:
WHAT?

You guys on that dysfunctional board rip wrestlers to shreds all the time. This board is like Mother Terresa became a wrestling fan compared to that cesspool you oozed out of. You should see some of the sh*t talk about Rutgers wrestlers over there.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? Here, I'll make it simpler for you...

If I was the parent of a current wrestler, I would find it very difficult to be on a message board of his team's fans, or maybe any message board.

Now, if you'd like to go find such an egregious message that I wrote about an RU wrestler, or any other wrestler, and bring it back over here, have at it. You're going to be looking for a long, long time for a message where I "rip a wrestler to shreds."

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? Here, I'll make it simpler for you...

If I was the parent of a current wrestler, I would find it very difficult to be on a message board of his team's fans, or maybe any message board.

Now, if you'd like to go find such an egregious message that I wrote about an RU wrestler, or any other wrestler, and bring it back over here, have at it. You're going to be looking for a long, long time for a message where I "rip a wrestler to shreds."
No, my reading comprehension is just fine. You referenced this board with "this is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this board" Which board is that you referenced? The one you're currently on.

Then again referenced that same board with "Quite honestly I can't even imagine being on a message board like this" What board exactly were you referencing with this sentence structure? The one you're currently on.

So no, my reading comprehension is just fine, your writing skills need a lot of work. But nice try, trying to weasel your way out of it when someone called you out. You tried to paint this board as being toxic and it's simply not true.

I don't have to find sh*t. If anyone wants to see how your board discusses wrestlers, they can simply click on the psu board.

Last edited:
All the sudden you're thinking that the moderators are going to step in and correct people? Dude you are all over the place mentally and emotionally. You have no dog in the fight with Rutgers Wrestling. You're an abusive non-factual dope When you've wrestle as many matches as I did for Rutgers, and double digits in the NCAA tournament then I will appreciate your input. Other than that you are moron who offers nothing to this board. What are you and the other dumbbells, who never stepped foot on a college wrestler mat going to say? Me pretending to be a college student at Rutgers or the Boone's Farm alcohol route. Get some new frigging material already. Just because I don't want people to know who I am.Three people inboxed me already and figured me out. fact is you guys can't come up with anything else My post might seem harsh, but I'm on point. I'd be hard-pressed to find somebody challenge any things that I've said about our wrestlers performances.
1983 Anthony Surage (7th) 142
1980 Anthony Surage (8th) 142

There he goes again. Harley the toothache. Mr VB post a handful of classy respectful msgs, SC posts time to move on, everybody’s in a cumbaya moment… and in comes the dark cloud rehashing the same old laundry.
Read the room it’s time to move on.

I guess this guy was lying too ...point made !....you want to deny it happens feel free but some of us see it while you don’t I guess ..enough said let’s move on !
I’ll say this, if it wasn’t for Bill’s insight (by FAR the best information) into the program as well as some of the other parents, I wouldn’t even come to this forum because of the toxic environment that has been created based on a lack of moderation. The fact that fans of the same program are trashing each other, MID-MATCH NO LESS, is sad. It comes down to basic civility, which is sorely missing here.

I couldn’t even tell you the last time I checked into the FB/BB forums here. Literally come by for insight into the Olympic programs since there isn’t much on the 247 site (not saying they are all angels either).

It’s just wrestling at the end of the day and the outcomes of these matches will be a flash in a pan in a few days/weeks/months. And as what has already been said regarding their performance, the dual is one data point for each and everyone one of these wrestlers and when the line of best fit is complete, we will know whether it was an outlier or the trend.

No, my reading comprehension is just fine. You referenced this board with "this is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this board" Which board is that you referenced? The one you're currently on.

Then again referenced that same board with "Quite honestly I can't even imagine being on a message board like this" What board exactly were you referencing with this sentence structure? The one you're currently on.

So no, my reading comprehension is just fine, your writing skills need a lot of work. But nice try, trying to weasel your way out of it when someone called you out. You tried to paint this board as being toxic and it's simply not true.

I don't have to find sh*t. If anyone wants to see how your board discusses wrestlers, they can simply click on the psu board.
When I said "a message board like this" I was referencing any message board. Believe it or not. You are much too defensive.

And, again, go find a message where I've attacked a wrestler. I can't help what other people write.

When I said "a message board like this" I was referencing any message board. Believe it or not. You are much too defensive.

And, again, go find a message where I've attacked a wrestler. I can't help what other people write.
Look you questioned my reading comprehension skills so of course I'm going to retort with a rebuttal. But how you're explaining it now is not what you originally wrote. Yes, now my response could be considered too defensive after your clarification but not before.

It's a message board folks they're all the same this one is not unique, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to read it. As far as asking for moderation, attacking other posters or personal attacks on fellow posters is #1 on the list for censorship. Talking about coaches, performance or the matches themselves are not in the rules for censorship.

Last edited:
I joined the board to learn more about wrestling and support Rutgers wrestling. As I experience many posters fighting among themselves, I am not learning much. I will look for other sources.
Don’t do that! The ignore feature really useful. I’ve only done it to 2 posters (1 PA guy showed up in this thread). Def considering adding 1-2 more as these 2 are the big culprits ALL THE TIME.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Look you questioned my reading comprehension skills so of course I'm going to retort with a rebuttal. But how you're explaining it now is not what you originally wrote. Yes, now my response could be considered too defensive after your clarification but not before.
Peace. I agree my wording could have been better, but there are many boards "like this," but only one "this board."

I joined the board to learn more about wrestling and support Rutgers wrestling. As I experience many posters fighting among themselves, I am not learning much. I will look for other sources.
Personally, I think you would be making a mistake by avoiding this board.. There are a lot of quality posters here, who are passionate about RU wrestling and some who are just passionate about wrestling. Learn to ignore or read past those who don't add value. Or, put them on ignore.

Crackers - you were one of the best wrestlers in Rutgers history. We don't have many two time All Americans. You speak the truth and are not a homer. I enjoy learning from you. Please take it easy on some of us who are not as well informed and try to avoid personal attacks.

Crackers
I saw you wrestle many times at RU, EIWA and NCAAs as I have been going for well over 40 years. I figured it out many months ago and respect you for it. Bravo man.
1983 Anthony Surage (7th) 142
1980 Anthony Surage (8th) 142

😲
If RUCrackers/RUCreedo/RUGrappler89 is Anthony Surage, then I'm at a loss for words and it makes his posts even more cringeworthy.

WHAT?

That they may do but they don’t rip their own like what’s done here ..I believe that’s what he means and he is right...it’s not the first time a parent has come here to address a poster for the vitriol toward their kid ...it’s unnecessary and I got criticized all the time for defending kids against such comments...I know a few of you don’t believe it’s wrong and maybe don’t think the kids or the parents see it ....they do and all I’ve ever asked was don’t make comments that you would not say to the kid or the parent and keep it to wrestling ...one guy wants me to point out such comments not realizing guys do remove them once called out for it so let’s move on ..be proud of where this team has come and be proud of their efforts to get to a higher level .

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Being a wrestling fan and a wrestling spectator is two vastly different things for an abundance of reasons.

Many of the nasty and un called for comments made about the student athletes that made the decision to attend Rutgers to wrestle is a reflection of the person making the comments poor vantage point.

looking at the origin of Rutgers wrestling and its current trajectory, as a program their has been nothing but a steady improvement throughout the years.

I could confidently say that the people who take the time out of their day to make a degrading comment about a student athlete is a sad human with interior problem.

Yes, you can feel that performances are unsatisfactory. Yes, you can feel that we should of won a given dual meet. Yes, you could have your own opinion of what decision you would make as a coach. But something none of you would ever have to balls to ever truly do is go through a D1 wrestling pre-season and regular season.

Wrestling is a combat sport very similar to the UFC minus it’s obvious rule barriers. With that being said, some of you so called “fans” are just poor excuses of what a true fan is to any given organization.

I’m sure if anything negative you have to say to a Rutgers wrestler, if said to their face. They would assault you and you would not be able to do a single thing about it.

some of you people are gross and have no regard for the true sacrifice it is to wrestler at this level and what these guys go through on a daily basis.

Something some of you need to hear is.... if you have a son or were to have a son at this very moment the likely hood your son will be good enough to wrestle for Rutgers so slim you have a better chance hitting the power ball.

the likely hood your son would end up wrestling at Rider if he’s lucky. But a more realistic place is a JWU or something of that nature. Where you will be watching a below average team that most of Rutgers backups would crush.

You were ok until you put down kids wrestling for rider or jwu. Puts you in same boat as ppl you just called gross, sad humans and a sad excuse for a fan.
Also lol you would be assaulted and do nothing abt it by one of those wrestlers like you commented above.
I know if it was my kid I wouldn’t handle it well. Thing I always remember someone saying was - Do you think he wanted to lose? Do you think your more pissed off than he is?

Being a wrestling fan and a wrestling spectator is two vastly different things for an abundance of reasons.

Many of the nasty and un called for comments made about the student athletes that made the decision to attend Rutgers to wrestle is a reflection of the person making the comments poor vantage point.

looking at the origin of Rutgers wrestling and its current trajectory, as a program their has been nothing but a steady improvement throughout the years.

I could confidently say that the people who take the time out of their day to make a degrading comment about a student athlete is a sad human with interior problem.

Yes, you can feel that performances are unsatisfactory. Yes, you can feel that we should of won a given dual meet. Yes, you could have your own opinion of what decision you would make as a coach. But something none of you would ever have to balls to ever truly do is go through a D1 wrestling pre-season and regular season.

Wrestling is a combat sport very similar to the UFC minus it’s obvious rule barriers. With that being said, some of you so called “fans” are just poor excuses of what a true fan is to any given organization.

I’m sure if anything negative you have to say to a Rutgers wrestler, if said to their face. They would assault you and you would not be able to do a single thing about it.

some of you people are gross and have no regard for the true sacrifice it is to wrestler at this level and what these guys go through on a daily basis.

Something some of you need to hear is.... if you have a son or were to have a son at this very moment the likely hood your son will be good enough to wrestle for Rutgers so slim you have a better chance hitting the power ball.

the likely hood your son would end up wrestling at Rider if he’s lucky. But a more realistic place is a JWU or something of that nature. Where you will be watching a below average team that most of Rutgers backups would crush.
I'm not advocating for personal attacks against any RU wresters but the fact that you and Harley both mention that you shouldn't say anything on a message board that you wouldn't say to one of the wresters face is completely ridiculous. If the wrestlers or parents cant take a little criticism then they shouldn't be reading these boards. Simple as that. And I read every message in this thread and nothing jumped out to me that was really that bad so people need to get a grip here.

Reactions: SCNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT