ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Faces No. 16 Wisconsin Sunday in Madison / Match Thread

You do this all the time and are simply imagining personal attacks that don’t exist. We all know Crackers does it and we’re all tired of his act. Aside from him, who else?

MVB didn’t wrestle well. Kannaird didn’t wrestle well. Turley didn’t wrestle well. Bulsak didn’t wrestle well. These aren’t personal attacks. These are opinions that the wrestlers themselves probably share. I don’t think anyone has gone overboard criticizing those guys. Maybe I missed it.

I thought the stalls were a bit much by the refs, definitely not balanced. The team was a bit lethargic, but you can turn around and say the same about some of the Wisconsin hammers like the guy who beat Andy Clark.

Some of us here need to relax with the personal attacks on these kids, after all, they are kids. Let's see what happens with the development of the season for some of these guys and who knows what growth can be made.
SCNJ .....you even liked this guys quote so don’t come on here saying it’s just me ...you either can’t read or have selective memory

SCNJ .....you even liked this guys quote so don’t come on here saying it’s just me ...you either can’t read or have selective memory
I agree with his assessment of the stalls and the overall point of letting the kids develop. I still don’t think anyone has been attacked.

If you went through the lengths to find a post I simply liked, you could have done the same thing and just quoted a personal attack instead. There aren’t any that I saw.

There could be multiple reasons(and I am just speculating).
1. Maybe Alvarez will only weigh in for some matches and they need Olivieri for multiple duals going forward.
2. Maybe Alvarez said I will try and make weight today and if I dont, I am done for the year.
3. Maybe Dean Peterson will go 133 next year and they can Redshirt Olivieri next season
Coaches are always looking at the current year, but also try and plan out the next season.
Will see what happens the rest of the season and next year.
I was thinking #3. Redshirt next year for oliveri with Peterson, Raimo and Garcia battle for 33/41

Reactions: njsportsphan
Hopefully Raimo is okay long term. He still hasn’t certified so I’m guessing he isn’t going to wrestle this year.

I agree with his assessment of the stalls and the overall point of letting the kids develop. I still don’t think anyone has been attacked.

If you went through the lengths to find a post I simply liked, you could have done the same thing and just quoted a personal attack instead. There aren’t any that I saw.
Yea I just made them up ..others made the same comment and I guess they made it up too.....you have an issue with me and what I supposedly do well ya know what ....you can’t do a thing about it ...i said what I felt ..I meant it and if you don’t like it ...OH WELL....

Folks
Sammy is not physically or mentally well enough to make that cut to 133 anymore so that is his choice. The kid gave his all and his health is the most important. So end all of the speculation and Joey wants to compete. I hope that ends speculation
Thanks Bill. Appreciate the insight/confirmation. Hopefully Sammy gets right at his preferred weight moving forward.

He only wrestled one day this entire season so far and hasn’t wrestled in a month, so can’t it be COVID at this point. He’s either seriously injured or just going to compete strategically during the year aka the bare minimum to protect his #1 ranking/seed

Lol it totally could be covid. Covid spreads anywhere, anytime. Would have loved to see that match. I highly doubt Princeton ducked. Glory would destroy Camacho. Princeton doesn't duck. I say all of this and hate Princeton.

Lol it totally could be covid. Covid spreads anywhere, anytime. Would have loved to see that match. I highly doubt Princeton ducked. Glory would destroy Camacho. Princeton doesn't duck. I say all of this and hate Princeton.
Did he have COVID as well in November when he didn’t wrestle against Iowa? Do you really think he wrestles next week against Courtney who is a legitimate top 3 opponent?

If not, he’ll be first 20 something year old to suffer symptoms from COVID for more than a month. He should donate his body and time to science at that point.

Folks
Sammy is not physically or mentally well enough to make that cut to 133 anymore so that is his choice. The kid gave his all and his health is the most important. So end all of the speculation and Joey wants to compete. I hope that ends speculation

Hope he is alright. I would like for him and White to bulk up.

There could be more going on than we know. But assuming not, Sammy growing could be a good thing, no?

You do this all the time and are simply imagining personal attacks that don’t exist. We all know Crackers does it and we’re all tired of his act. Aside from him, who else?

MVB didn’t wrestle well. Kannaird didn’t wrestle well. Turley didn’t wrestle well. Bulsak didn’t wrestle well. These aren’t personal attacks. These are opinions that the wrestlers themselves probably share. I don’t think anyone has gone overboard criticizing those guys. Maybe I missed it.
MVB wrestled fine against a top kid (Gomez looks like Nate Diaz and wrestles like Kaid Brock). He made a poor decision in the last few seconds of the match. He was trying to set up a big move against a guy who is known for big moves. Kanniard has work to do/is in a rut. He wrestled about as well as he has been wrestling. Turley wrestled better than he did at Matmen but has a long way to go to wrestle himself back to where he was at the end of last year. Bulsak wrestled fine against a young top kid who is improving. He wrestled a little tight at the end trying to hold the lead but nothing major. Bad match strategy at 125. No clue why Shawver took bottom. Not sure if that is on him, the coaches or both. Clark wrestled tough, Boone looked better than he has previously as well. Olivieri got his first match under his belt and got a win against a solid kid. Overall a decent performance on the road.

Yea I just made them up ..others made the same comment and I guess they made it up too.....you have an issue with me and what I supposedly do well ya know what ....you can’t do a thing about it ...i said what I felt ..I meant it and if you don’t like it ...OH WELL....
My man relax. I’m not gonna pretend like I want to fight you. I respect your passion and commitment to the program but I think you go overboard with what you think is unfair criticism.

There could be more going on than we know. But assuming not, Sammy growing could be a good thing, no?
For sure. There’s question marks in the middle of the lineup right now and an abundance of talent at the bottom. I would love to see Peterson challenge Shawver for 125. Olivieri/Raimo 133. As it shakes itself out, one of those four aforementioned names go 141/149 with Alvarez being the other. White goes 157.

165 is a puzzle, hopefully a stronger Kannaird. Then a similar situation as the lightweights where we have a ton of talent. Turley, Poz, Janzer, Soldano, Boone, Kyonte in some mix and match.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Folks
For sure. I’ve done various fasting techniques over the years to stay in shape. One meal a day (OMAD) is something I’ve tried and had success keeping weight down but it really takes a toll on you mentally.

MVB wrestled fine until the last 15 seconds or so. I appreciate him wrestling until the final whistle but you also need to have situational awareness especially as a 6th year guy. That team point could have been huge if a few things shook out differently (Turley wins, Clark gives up bonus points, etc). Need to be aware of the risk vs reward.

Folks
Weight cut is brutal, especially injured. Hopefully, he heals up and gets right and goes 141 or 149 next season. Why didn't he go 149 this season, as there was a bunch of speculation that he was after last season, and I thought he wouldn't have an issue beating MVB? Can he not beat MVB or was this more of a strategy decision to get both in the lineup for the strongest lineup? Thanks.
Did he have COVID as well in November when he didn’t wrestle against Iowa? Do you really think he wrestles next week against Courtney who is a legitimate top 3 opponent?

If not, he’ll be first 20 something year old to suffer symptoms from COVID for more than a month. He should donate his body and time to science at that point.
We heard he decided not to bother making weight once Lee 🦆 so I'm curious what happened today.
MVB wrestled fine until the last 15 seconds or so. I appreciate him wrestling until the final whistle but you also need to have situational awareness especially as a 6th year guy. That team point could have been huge if a few things shook out differently (Turley wins, Clark gives up bonus points, etc). Need to be aware of the risk vs reward.
He was very defensive, stalling and wrestling the edge, not too dissimilar to his normal style, but he barely pushed anything on his feet.

Last edited:
Not making excuses but the Big Ten did us no favors. We wrestle at home Friday night and fly several hours Saturday to Wisconsin and wrestle noon Wisconsin time Sunday. You think that contributes to being sluggish? They are not robots
I'm starting to come around to this conclusion on the effect it could have on our wrestler's effort. Wisconsin being home all weekend then the short turn around of a Friday 7pm match, flight Saturday, 12pm CST match on Sunday for Rutgers. Is it the reason we lost no, could it affect our wrestler's effort, most definitely. That's probably the toughest turn around, from time to distance with opponent doing no travel you're ever going to find in weekend B1G matches.

My man relax. I’m not gonna pretend like I want to fight you. I respect your passion and commitment to the program but I think you go overboard with what you think is unfair criticism.
Dude you totally are blind then because at least three guys mentioned the same thing today and as far as I’m concerned many of the comments were unnecessary and certainly none of it was criticism ...learn to read and maybe pay attention to what guys were saying and I don’t mean the comments the forum drunk had to say ..I don’t even respond to that idiots bottom of the bottle commentary anymore ..if moderators here condone what’s being said then so be it ...I don’t say anything here I won’t say to your face ..I would love to see some of what was said today be said to the wrestlers themselves or Goody or the parents and see how tough their keyboard opinions are then ...

I’m convinced that several of the more active posters on this forum are not Rutgers fans, they are actually loser trolls from other schools. If they do in fact purport to be fans, they’ve got a funny way of showing it. Criticism is one thing, but pounding your chest with an “I told you he sucks” every time a kid doesn’t have his best performance (a la RUCrackers with MVB loss to an AA contender) is pathetic, and not supportive of the program.
Hmmm, I don't see last night's thread anymore but do remember my predictions and yours. Do you?

I'm starting to come around to this conclusion on the effect it could have on our wrestler's effort. Wisconsin being home all weekend then the short turn around of a Friday 7pm match, flight Saturday, 12pm CST match on Sunday for Rutgers. Is it the reason we lost no, could it affect our wrestler's effort, most definitely. That's probably the toughest turn around, from time to distance with opponent doing no travel you're ever going to find in weekend B1G matches.
Yeah definitely a tall task. And are they expected to be in attendance in class tomorrow? Can’t be easy being a big 10 athlete.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Yeah definitely a tall task. And are they expected to be in attendance in class tomorrow? Can’t be easy being a big 10 athlete.
I don’t think classes restart until after MLK day

End of day it's just a dual meet which means absolutely nothing in the sports eyes. We did not wrestle well and boy does our strength and conditioning regiment need a long look at. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. Again I really hope they didn't just pull Oliveri's redshirt to get Goodale one match closer to 200 wins.
That’s the dumbest comment I’ve ever heard on this forum, and that’s a real accomplishment.
Hmmm, I don't see last night's thread anymore but do remember my predictions and yours. Do you?
I’m sorry you’re having trouble grasping the concept of what I am saying about your “prediction.” Saying “we’ll win 3, maybe 4 if we’re lucky” isn’t a prediction. In that case, You’re right if we win 3, 4, or even 5. It’s just a way to hedge your prediction, be a downer, and be right no matter what. This is akin to, “when we wrestle Penn State, we’re gonna lose unless we have 5 upsets.” That’s not a prediction, it’s stating the obvious and hedging your bet so you can say you’re right whether we win or lose. Exactly the type of person I’m talking about talking about who is a fake fan.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble grasping the concept of what I am saying about your “prediction.” Saying “we’ll win 3, maybe 4 if we’re lucky” isn’t a prediction. In that case, You’re right if we win 3, 4, or even 5. It’s just a way to hedge your prediction, be a downer, and be right no matter what. This is akin to, “when we wrestle Penn State, we’re gonna lose unless we have 5 upsets.” That’s not a prediction, it’s stating the obvious and hedging your bet so you can say you’re right whether we win or lose. Exactly the type of person I’m talking about talking about who is a fake fan.
I said in the early portion of this season that he’s actually a Penn State troll. There’s a reason he’s got so much negative to say during the week but is nowhere to be found during matches. He’s busy watching Penn State and commenting on their forum on his real account.

That’s the dumbest comment I’ve ever heard on this forum, and that’s a real accomplishment.

Nope, wrong again. I told you the weight classes that we'd be lucky to win. We weren't. Do you remember what I said about Sammy's ankle and possible weight issue? Do you remember your prediction? And fake fan is your pathetic rationale for not being able to discuss any of this on a logical basis because it isn't what you want to believe. Virtually everything I had said got echoed through this match thread, but I had the balls to say it before it happened when it wasn't popular amongst the cheerleading. Oh, the part about me not being willing to say I was wrong if I had been: are you willing to say how wrong your prediction was? Look, I believe we should all be able to offer opinions, including Crackers, without name-calling attacks like yours. In these cases, I don't like being right but it's actually easy to predict after watching it play out the same year after year. I'd like to see a big change but that won't happen until something is done differently. In the meantime, you make your predictions and I'll make mine. Let me know when mine is actually wrong and stop whining.

That is why Goodale is the coach to manage the roster and make those decisions. As I said before. these kids are not robots. Wrestle Friday night and fly several hours Saturday after getting up at dawn. Arrive in afternoon Saturday and have to keep weight down and wrestle noon in Wisconsin Sunday. Not an easy thing so I can see why they looked sluggish. 11-1 still not too bad folks.
I agree with your take here. Very hard to travel on short rest and compete at this level hours later. That being said I think everyone needs to cool it with the 11-1 pounding of the chest. I mean its great that the team is 11-1 but lets be honest they have not beaten anyone yet. They beat UNC who sat 3 of their top guys. That was. a decent win. Today was there first true match against an equal opponent and they didn't look great overall. Most of those 11 wins are against far inferior programs that had no shot against us.

Ok. Agreed but do we get any credit for putting together a team that is superior to those 11 teams we beat?
Yes absolutely. They have done a great job at taking care of business against the teams they should beat. Hopefully they can upset a few teams moving forward.

Ok let’s go through my dumb post as you so crudely put it.

Dual meets mean absolutely nothing in the sport. A lot of coaches agree or they wouldn’t be sitting wrestlers to protect seeds if they thought otherwise.

We did not wrestle well and our strength and conditioning needs a look at. Several weights we seemed to be outmuscled or gassed. Those are not skills based, no single approach to this is beyond a reevaluation. Sometimes things you think will work don’t and a change is in order. More an astute observation than dumb comment as you put it

Finally perhaps you missed the hope part in the sentence of, “I hope Goodale”. Well my hope came to fruition as that was not the reason.

So apparently reading comprehension and comprehension of the sport itself are clearly not your strong suits.

Last edited:
Dude you totally are blind then because at least three guys mentioned the same thing today and as far as I’m concerned many of the comments were unnecessary and certainly none of it was criticism ...learn to read and maybe pay attention to what guys were saying and I don’t mean the comments the forum drunk had to say ..I don’t even respond to that idiots bottom of the bottle commentary anymore ..if moderators here condone what’s being said then so be it ...I don’t say anything here I won’t say to your face ..I would love to see some of what was said today be said to the wrestlers themselves or Goody or the parents and see how tough their keyboard opinions are then ...
All the sudden you're thinking that the moderators are going to step in and correct people? Dude you are all over the place mentally and emotionally. You have no dog in the fight with Rutgers Wrestling. You're an abusive non-factual dope When you've wrestle as many matches as I did for Rutgers, and double digits in the NCAA tournament then I will appreciate your input. Other than that you are moron who offers nothing to this board. What are you and the other dumbbells, who never stepped foot on a college wrestler mat going to say? Me pretending to be a college student at Rutgers or the Boone's Farm alcohol route. Get some new frigging material already. Just because I don't want people to know who I am.Three people inboxed me already and figured me out. fact is you guys can't come up with anything else My post might seem harsh, but I'm on point. I'd be hard-pressed to find somebody challenge any things that I've said about our wrestlers performances.

Folks
You are all entitled to your opinions as I think we are all RU wrestling fans and want to bask in the glory of RU success. Scott is not perfect or infallible like the Pope but he has done a pretty fabulous job elevating this program to national prominence along with Donny snd the rest of the coaches, RTC snd SKWC. We get spoiled by excellence so when we fall short we get upset. Peace and goodwill toward men.

Some people think just because they wrestled they know how coaching works. Look around the NFL some of the best never played in the NFL. The staff does a great job and whoever says otherwise is clueless. Can they be better yes and if you think they don't want to be your a idiot.

Alvarez is a 133 this year and was doing fine and had his weight under control. Sometimes the mind isn't as strong as the body and things happen. Coaches can't babysit kids 24/7 theyre young men who must be held accountable as well. Can't always be the coaches fault. That's how society is now find the excuse so we look around at who we can blame instead of blaming ourselves

I don't want people to know who I am.Three people inboxed me already and figured me out.
You've mentioned in-box a few times. I haven't found any way of sending private messages through this forum. I suppose you have your reasons for anonymity but have also given lots of hints. If you are who I think you are, you should be proud to reveal yourself. Despite the childish exchanges, or maybe except for the childish exchanges, your background entitles you to some amount of respect for your opinions.

Crackers - you were one of the best wrestlers in Rutgers history. We don't have many two time All Americans. You speak the truth and are not a homer. I enjoy learning from you. Please take it easy on some of us who are not as well informed and try to avoid personal attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
No dog in the fight but crackers adds a lot more to the board than Harley. Harley always has nothing but a sour comment and doesn’t let anything go, guy is a toothache whatever his relationship to the van brills is he blows every comment out of proportion.
Crackers is a little off the wall sometimes😳 but def has knowledge/insight - except when we beefed over pistol Pete Gonzalez a few yrs ago lol

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT