ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Faces No. 16 Wisconsin Sunday in Madison / Match Thread

Wow Turkey ridden the entire 2nd … RU is good, but Wisconsin looks much stronger and is the better team.

We are being dominated, they're simply much better than us, we look physically weaker.

We seriously need to re-evaluate our weight training regiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar
Calling Harley for Mike Van Brill... Calling Harley for Mike Van brill. So what excuse do you have today for your Golden Boy? You going to bring one of your loser excuses in that I've got to drink Boone's Farm or check the lock on my trailer.
Lost every match since. Way to bring the Bad Karma.

Turley's style is funk and high risk moves, so if he's not in wrestling shape and still nursing an injury, it'll be hard to pull out wins consistently.

I'd guess this is a clear indication that Alvarez is done for the season, at least at 133. Maybe he tries to challenge MVB for 149 or just shuts it down.
I’m so frustrated he tried to make 133 again after missing it last year bc of weight issues..

I remember him beating Nebraska’s R. Lovett at 133 and now Lovett bumped up to 149 n doing fine… I hope Alvarez Isn’t done for the year if he isn’t injured…

Reactions: Leonard23
I’m so frustrated he tried to make 133 again after missing it last year bc of weight issues..

I remember him beating Nebraska’s R. Lovett at 133 and now Lovett bumped up to 149 n doing fine… I hope Alvarez Isn’t done for the year if he isn’t injured…
I don’t think it’s cause for concern just yet. Today was supposed to be Alvarez first match in like 2 weeks after injuring an ankle. I have to imagine his ability to exercise to keep weight down was limited. To miss by .4 especially on the road isn’t a huge deal given the circumstances. It’s not an excuse, but I’ll be more concerned if it happens again next week.

The Olivieri decision is puzzling though.

Agreed. He should've planned to go 149 after missing 133 last year. Extreme weight cutting isn't for everyone and personally I hate it. There's a reason Rivera wants to go 141. He likes not sucking a ton of weight.

The free covid year of eligibility has really screwed up things with so many having an extra eligibility, which likely played a roll here. If MVB wasn't eligible, would we even be talking about Alvarez not going 149?

Expected Wisconsin to win 6 matches coming in … hopefully we grab this to keep the score respectable.

I don’t think it’s cause for concern just yet. Today was supposed to be Alvarez first match in like 2 weeks after injuring an ankle. I have to imagine his ability to exercise to keep weight down was limited. To miss by .4 especially on the road isn’t a huge deal given the circumstances. It’s not an excuse, but I’ll be more concerned if it happens again next week.

There's no way we pulled Olivieri's RS if Alvarez was wrestling 133 again. I'd be shocked if Olivieri wasn't the 133 starter from here on out.

If Goodale pulled Oliveri's redshirt just to win a dual I'll be very disappointed in his decision making.

Reactions: 61RayStreet
Agreed. He should've planned to go 149 after missing 133 last year. Extreme weight cutting isn't for everyone and personally I hate it. There's a reason Rivera wants to go 141. He likes not sucking a ton of weight.

The free covid year of eligibility has really screwed up things with so many having an extra eligibility, which likely played a roll here. If MVB wasn't eligible, would we even be talking about Alvarez not going 149?
Probably not. That whole decision by the NCAA was so bizarre

The 2020 grads lost their winter postseason. They weren’t allowed to come back. Instead, anyone on the roster in 2021 didn’t burn a year of eligibility. How on earth does that make sense

Probably not. That whole decision by the NCAA was so bizarre

The 2020 grads lost their winter postseason. They weren’t allowed to come back. Instead, anyone on the roster in 2021 didn’t burn a year of eligibility. How on earth does that make sense
It doesn't and will have negative ramifications for years to come, because many of the HS kids won't have a spot or be able to wrestle as early because some 26 year old "doctor" in their 7th year (after 2 holdbacks in HS) is ahead of them.

Bulsak struggling, looking very stiff and slow and getting into bad positions.

Reactions: MS-RU
Whew Bulsak narrowly pulls its out but he’s wasn’t great especially on his feet. Amos looked like the better wrestler today but they don’t always win.

Last edited:
It doesn't and will have negative ramifications for years to come, because many of the HS kids won't have a spot or be able to wrestle as early because some 26 year old "doctor" in their 7th year (after 2 holdbacks in HS) is ahead of them.
Yep. The same problem is happening in NJ high school. Spring athletes who graduated in 2020 or 2021 are actually allowed to come back for a bonus HIGH SCHOOL season as long as they’re enrolled in a community college. Just about every decent baseball team in the state is exploiting it. All it does it push the problem down the road.

2020 sucked but there’s no reason the ramifications need to continue to mount up. We all lost 2020. Move on.

This ref doesn't like the whizzer counter roll through tilt. We've done it twice with control and scored nada. Now a who knows what review.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT