ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Faces No. 16 Wisconsin Sunday in Madison / Match Thread

I constantly feel like there is ridiculous home bias in every wrestling match except when we’re hosting. Maybe that’s me being a baby but it certainly feels that way.

I constantly feel like there is ridiculous home bias in every wrestling match except when we’re hosting. Maybe that’s me being a baby but it certainly feels that way.
100%

it’s not even debatable anymore.

Reactions: Leonard23
Right there with you

Close after 2 … does it come down to an escape or a stall call?

Shame because Boone wrestled decent given the opponent and got robbed of 4 points. Not a great showing by the team overall

Boone kept it close longer than expected … won 2 handily, got lucky to hold on 2 more … 11-0 was still the best start in team history.

Boone wrestled better today. More effort and looked interested. Wish he'd do more on his feet.

Reactions: dollarbill
I know Boone lost ,but if he can wrestle like that and get a little bit stronger the kid can do some damage. He's got to stop being such a head case, and not just wrestling good against All Americans like Hilger

The constant prerequisite that we start each match off with an automatic stall got a little much for me with this ref.

I thought the stalls were a bit much by the refs, definitely not balanced. The team was a bit lethargic, but you can turn around and say the same about some of the Wisconsin hammers like the guy who beat Andy Clark.

Some of us here need to relax with the personal attacks on these kids, after all, they are kids. Let's see what happens with the development of the season for some of these guys and who knows what growth can be made.

End of day it's just a dual meet which means absolutely nothing in the sports eyes. We did not wrestle well and boy does our strength and conditioning regiment need a long look at. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. Again I really hope they didn't just pull Oliveri's redshirt to get Goodale one match closer to 200 wins.

Reactions: njsportsphan
End of day it's just a dual meet which means absolutely nothing in the sports eyes. We did not wrestle well and boy does our strength and conditioning regiment need a long look at. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. Again I really hope they didn't just pull Oliveri's redshirt to get Goodale one match closer to 200 wins.
As two of his former wrestlers have said in the past...Goody is businessman first and coach second.

Wow...tough loss against an unbeaten team by 1 bout on the road and people are bad mouthing program...When some of these guys talking smack we were losing to Wagner during their time...Were 11-1..top 15 team and can make some noise at NCAA Tournament
Agree, not easy winning on the road in the Big! Kids always wrestle hard. Olivieiri did a good job in his debut. Clark wrestled the #8 kid in the country, a very high recruit, and wrestled tough for 7 minutes. Sea bass dominated, Bulsak gutted a win out.

In other news, Glory doesn't wrestle Camacho. Was he unable to make weight, is he sick or contact traced out, or is this a 🦆🦆🦆? If a 🦆, then we're just continuing to ruin the sport. Also, Ayala just dominated #5 Schroder, and #3 Micic got upset by Matthews 11-5.

Last edited:
In other news, Glory doesn't wrestle Camacho. Was he unable to make weight, is he sick or contact traced out, or is this a 🦆🦆🦆? If a 🦆, then we're just continuing to ruin the sport.
He only wrestled one day this entire season so far and hasn’t wrestled in a month, so can’t it be COVID at this point. He’s either seriously injured or just going to compete strategically during the year aka the bare minimum to protect his #1 ranking/seed

As you can see I’m not responding or jumping on anyone’s comments today ...I saw the match just like all of you did ..it’s been hard to watch at times for sure ...I just don’t get the personal attacks on kids the way it’s tolerated here ..no point in calling out anyone because if the moderators don’t seem to care then why should I ..many of you are invested in this program and I guess that gives you the right ...the coach gets attacked as pulling a redshirt to get a win..a kid gets denegrated about how he looks and so on and so forth ...of course I have defended kids here...some of who I am very fond of but it’s pointless so have at it with your attacks on our kids ..it’s painfully obvious after todays comments that lots of you just don’t care if a kid or his parents are reading whats being said here..it’s not a forum to share critiques of styles or point out deficiencies or even share expertises but it’s more like drunken sailors spewing insults at whoever doesn’t meet your expectations ...you can call today’s sharing justified all you want but to me it was a disgrace ...this is OUR team and many of you just don’t seem to get that or the effort it takes kids to even get on the mat at this level ...you can’t know that otherwise it wouldn’t be so easy to say some of what was said today ...

Can the posters who really know and understand wrestling explain possible reasons for pulling Oliveri's redshirt. The kid seems special and hate to see him loss a year if Sammy comes back to wrestle this year. Did Coach Goodale explain it to the press post match? He must have had a very good reason

As you can see I’m not responding or jumping on anyone’s comments today ...I saw the match just like all of you did ..it’s been hard to watch at times for sure ...I just don’t get the personal attacks on kids the way it’s tolerated here ..no point in calling out anyone because if the moderators don’t seem to care then why should I ..many of you are invested in this program and I guess that gives you the right ...the coach gets attacked as pulling a redshirt to get a win..a kid gets denegrated about how he looks and so on and so forth ...of course I have defended kids here...some of who I am very fond of but it’s pointless so have at it with your attacks on our kids ..it’s painfully obvious after todays comments that lots of you just don’t care if a kid or his parents are reading whats being said here..it’s not a forum to share critiques of styles or point out deficiencies or even share expertises but it’s more like drunken sailors spewing insults at whoever doesn’t meet your expectations ...you can call today’s sharing justified all you want but to me it was a disgrace ...this is OUR team and many of you just don’t seem to get that or the effort it takes kids to even get on the mat at this level ...you can’t know that otherwise it wouldn’t be so easy to say some of what was said today ...
Well said! I totally agree!!!!

Can the posters who really know and understand wrestling explain possible reasons for pulling Oliveri's redshirt. The kid seems special and hate to see him loss a year if Sammy comes back to wrestle this year. Did Coach Goodale explain it to the press post match? He must have had a very good reason
IMO the only justifiable reason can be that Olivieri is the guy moving forward at 133. Otherwise it makes zero sense. I assume it’s too late for this into season but best lineup might be Alvarez to 149, MVB to 157, Kanniard to 165 if there are weight cutting issues. But I doubt that is happening. Unless they said it’s open competition at 133 and they will Make Sammy fight for it and Olivieri wanted it.

Unless Goodale commented it’s all speculation.

The most obvious reason would either be that Sammy is hurt and will be out for an extended period of time or he just won’t be able to make 133 anymore going forward. He wouldn’t have his redshirt pulled for one random dual in January.

Neither is a good situation unless Sammy really believes he can compete at 149 but as people have said adding that much good weight in a short time isn’t really feasible.

That is why Goodale is the coach to manage the roster and make those decisions. As I said before. these kids are not robots. Wrestle Friday night and fly several hours Saturday after getting up at dawn. Arrive in afternoon Saturday and have to keep weight down and wrestle noon in Wisconsin Sunday. Not an easy thing so I can see why they looked sluggish. 11-1 still not too bad folks.

There could be multiple reasons(and I am just speculating).
1. Maybe Alvarez will only weigh in for some matches and they need Olivieri for multiple duals going forward.
2. Maybe Alvarez said I will try and make weight today and if I dont, I am done for the year.
3. Maybe Dean Peterson will go 133 next year and they can Redshirt Olivieri next season
Coaches are always looking at the current year, but also try and plan out the next season.
Will see what happens the rest of the season and next year.

You do this all the time and are simply imagining personal attacks that don’t exist. We all know Crackers does it and we’re all tired of his act. Aside from him, who else?

MVB didn’t wrestle well. Kannaird didn’t wrestle well. Turley didn’t wrestle well. Bulsak didn’t wrestle well. These aren’t personal attacks. These are opinions that the wrestlers themselves probably share. I don’t think anyone has gone overboard criticizing those guys. Maybe I missed it.

There could be multiple reasons(and I am just speculating).
1. Maybe Alvarez will only weigh in for some matches and they need Olivieri for multiple duals going forward.
2. Maybe Alvarez said I will try and make weight today and if I dont, I am done for the year.
3. Maybe Dean Peterson will go 133 next year and they can Redshirt Olivieri next season
Coaches are always looking at the current year, but also try and plan out the next season.
Will see what happens the rest of the season and next year.
The first two make sense. I don’t think the 3rd one does. If Alvarez is still good to go 133 and anticipates wrestling in major tournaments, then saving Olivieri’s red shirt for next year wouldn’t make a difference. In either situation he’s burning a year of not wrestling in the tournaments.

I thought the stalls were a bit much by the refs, definitely not balanced. The team was a bit lethargic, but you can turn around and say the same about some of the Wisconsin hammers like the guy who beat Andy Clark.

Some of us here need to relax with the personal attacks on these kids, after all, they are kids. Let's see what happens with the development of the season for some of these guys and who knows what growth can be made.
I’m convinced that several of the more active posters on this forum are not Rutgers fans, they are actually loser trolls from other schools. If they do in fact purport to be fans, they’ve got a funny way of showing it. Criticism is one thing, but pounding your chest with an “I told you he sucks” every time a kid doesn’t have his best performance (a la RUCrackers with MVB loss to an AA contender) is pathetic, and not supportive of the program.

The first two make sense. I don’t think the 3rd one does. If Alvarez is still good to go 133 and anticipates wrestling in major tournaments, then saving Olivieri’s red shirt for next year wouldn’t make a difference. In either situation he’s burning a year of not wrestling in the tournaments.
Like I said, just speculating. But nobody is guaranteed 4 tournaments, many factors too consider.

The explanation is that Joey O is the 133 starter going forward. I'd guess Alvarez is banged up and having trouble with an already difficult cut.
That is why Goodale is the coach to manage the roster and make those decisions. As I said before. these kids are not robots. Wrestle Friday night and fly several hours Saturday after getting up at dawn. Arrive in afternoon Saturday and have to keep weight down and wrestle noon in Wisconsin Sunday. Not an easy thing so I can see why they looked sluggish. 11-1 still not too bad folks.
Too many have unrealistic expectations, don't understand the difficulties, and expect no letdowns. Everyone has off days for a million reasons. Doesn't mean they're bad or plateauing. They're just normal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT