ADVERTISEMENT

No. 17 Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Season Starts Saturday

Lotta lacrosse to go but Syracuse is slowly turning into one of those hype programs. The PR doesn’t match the results.

I don't know about that. Their 1st midfield may be the best in the country. Army adapted. We'll see if Syracuse can do the same in their next game.

I don't know about that. Their 1st midfield may be the best in the country. Army adapted. We'll see if Syracuse can do the same in their next game.
Agree their middies are legit. Their attack is overrated IMO. Chase Scanlan in particular.

Agree their middies are legit. Their attack is overrated IMO. Chase Scanlan in particular.
Chase didn't leave many friends behind at Loyola...didn't handle the breakup well...but he's a kid, so I don't really put much stock in that stuff...let's just say the guys at Loyola were not to broken up by his departure

Reactions: Caliknight
They did. Only issue was other teams had to adhere to our stringent protocols and couldn’t/wouldn’t. Acc teams have it much easier.
We've discussed this @Caliknight ...the big ten protocols are ridiculous...unfair frankly to the kids...it's not something the big ten should tout as some great badge of honor IMO...it's gonna really suck when we lose a stud or two because of a positive test...we will not see that player again for 4-5 weeks...in an already short season...everyday I cross my fingers for 44 and ALL our guys that we stay clean...just very hard to do...positive thought!

I know of multiple teams/conferences that have it much easier as you state...

You and I are aligned on this...too bad it's not our decision ;)

With all that said, we have the 10 games schedule, the tourney at the end...it's better than nothing...

Army is very very good...they're gonna be a problem in the Patriot for my other team...The Loyola Greyhounds ;)

Army really looked great today...impressive...and I love watching Cuse get beat...but that's just me

Army is very very good...they're gonna be a problem in the Patriot for my other team...The Loyola Greyhounds ;)

Army really looked great today...impressive...and I love watching Cuse get beat...but that's just me

And they're probably the least likely team to have a positive test.

Reactions: Golfer2019
And I think only one starter for Nova did not return. What a difference that guys must have made.

Carraway did the damage against Nova with 8 goals and 1 assists.
Yup Moore is on UVA...

A couple of Detroit Catholic School League kids contribute and play a lot for GT...one very tight with my guys (he was on the same team with my two guys at DCC here...they won a lot of games)...the other one played at Brother Rice and played with my son Joey in the summers (juiced cherries)

GT is good...

Yup Moore is on UVA...

A couple of Detroit Catholic School League kids contribute and play a lot for GT...one very tight with my guys (he was on the same team with my two guys at DCC here...they won a lot of games)...the other one played at Brother Rice and played with my son Joey in the summers (juiced cherries)

GT is good...
Yeah lol...confused Moore for Carraway.

@rufamily good to see you post...I hope you and the family are well! I hope ours paths cross this spring...sooner than later...be well!
sorry I have been preoccupied, @Golfer2019 your boy played very well that rope unit Is going to be tough to handle with those explosive athletes on it. Some of you know that I am a local guy and reasonably in the know. But I will tell you that The amount of work these kids put in was crazy. I saw RU kids at our turf fields most days this fall even when they were practicing, always getting extra work.

If you rewatch the game watch how many different exits Dugenio used to win faceoffs at least three and even on the tie-ups he made Arceri work for the ball. We also got lots of help from the wings and John alluded to the fact that they were working more on wing play and getting kids into the right spot to win the ball of the ground.

They get a lot of nice stuff...I wish I was a little smaller...I'd steal a bunch from someone I know...

It's important. First and foremost, to take care of the kids. It's also great marketing. Lax kids see a lot of other lax kids and they all love swag and gear. I still love the gear lol. My favorite box to open every year is the lax gear box I get sent.

Reactions: Golfer2019
It's important. First and foremost, to take care of the kids. It's also great marketing. Lax kids see a lot of other lax kids and they all love swag and gear. I still love the gear lol. My favorite box to open every year is the lax gear box I get sent.

Don't get a lot these days despite contributing, but we when we graduated we were allowed to take our game jerseys with us. Still have mine. A long term investment for future fundraising.

Don't get a lot these days despite contributing, but we when we graduated we were allowed to take our game jerseys with us. Still have mine. A long term investment for future fundraising.

All my original gear got taken and thrown out by accident when I moved, including my jersey. Still bummed about that.

My boys have so many helmets, I can't even count...when it's all said and done, I've asked my guys if I could have one when they're done for my man cave...

I've got dibs on the chromatic red RU helmet, and the white throwback loyola helmet with the hound on the side...I love both of those ;)

I think it's the least they could do is let me have one for display...

My boys have so many helmets, I can't even count...when it's all said and done, I've asked my guys if I could have one when they're done for my man cave...

I've got dibs on the chromatic red RU helmet, and the white throwback loyola helmet with the hound on the side...I love both of those ;)

I think it's the least they could do is let me have one for display...

Multiple helmets? Funding sure has changed. I played in the years following the 1973 oil shock during the resulting major recession. Funding was chopped to the degree that for 2 nearby away games we travelled by car. The coaches, trainer and some on the players who owned cars provided transportation. And we were in the Top 20 one of those years.

My years we not much better as I remember having to bring broken heads to Pat to get a new one and the box of cleats that were retreads from the football team. Now every team has multiple helmets. @mdk01 Sounds like you may have shared some turf with one of my relatives.

Way different game today. Air trips are on charters and I’m sure everyone has seen the new facility.

Back in the day there were no apparel deals like there are today. Good for them. The way it should be.

Reactions: rufamily
Multiple helmets? Funding sure has changed. I played in the years following the 1973 oil shock during the resulting major recession. Funding was chopped to the degree that for 2 nearby away games we travelled by car. The coaches, trainer and some on the players who owned cars provided transportation. And we were in the Top 20 one of those years.
Even non revenue sports still need to recruit...kids like swag...

Keep an eye on the helmets this week ;)

My years we not much better as I remember having to bring broken heads to Pat to get a new one and the box of cleats that were retreads from the football team. Now every team has multiple helmets. @mdk01 Sounds like you may have shared some turf with one of my relatives.

The first 2 years I played an assistant coach would take cracked wood sticks, wrap fiberglass tape around them and restring them. The introduction of plastic sticks happened my junior year is HS and changed everything. Times have indeed changed.

@rufamily - a non-Princeton Ivy.

Reactions: rufamily
Point is they have the budget to do it.
I get your point...it's as much about contracts with equipment companies as well...equipment companies provide tons of the hard goods (sticks and helmets)...it's way different for all sports...multiple uniform combinations, multiple helmets, in all sports...think about football helmets...not cheap yet you've got teams with 2-3 helmets in football too...equipment contracts are lucrative....and so is Big Ten Network money :)

Even the smaller schools get lots of gear...yes, some more than others, but many lower level D1 lax teams also get tons of stuff...

Just a different time...good for the kids

And yes, programs have good donor bases as well...can't forget to mention that

I get your point...it's as much about contracts with equipment companies as well...equipment companies provide tons of the hard goods (sticks and helmets)...it's way different for all sports...multiple uniform combinations, multiple helmets, in all sports...think about football helmets...not cheap yet you've got teams with 2-3 helmets in football too...equipment contracts are lucrative....and so is Big Ten Network money :)

Even the smaller schools get lots of gear...yes, some more than others, but many lower level D1 lax teams also get tons of stuff...

Just a different time...good for the kids

And yes, programs have good donor bases as well...can't forget to mention that

And yes, equipment makers have more incentive to fund swag (marketing) when there are 2500 (and growing) HS programs to sell to than when there were 6-700. When you consider clubs as well as NCAA teams there really aren't that many more college programs than in the past, though NCAA teams have obviously substantially increased.

And also yes, "friends" programs are providing support at a whole different level now.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
This! The reach of the sport has grown tremendously. I saw a post in a Facebook group yesterday about a program starting in Louisiana. With the athletes that get produced in the south once this game takes off down there look out.

The first 2 years I played an assistant coach would take cracked wood sticks, wrap fiberglass tape around them and restring them. The introduction of plastic sticks happened my junior year is HS and changed everything. Times have indeed changed.

@rufamily - a non-Princeton Ivy.
I remember the smell of Resin in my attic as we tried to fix the wooden sticks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT