ADVERTISEMENT

No. 23 Rutgers Wrestling Closes Dual Season with No. 1 Penn State (Friday), No. 10 Nebraska (Sunday)

Going to be another brutal weekend unfortunately.

PSU - I think we all know their lineup if you're a fan of college wrestling and they've unleashed their younger guys at 57 and 65. Both of whom are having a great year with solid wins.

What does the fan base expect out of the Penn State match friday? I think realistically we are favored at one weight class.

Neb - going to be a tough one as well but I do see some opportunities here match up wise.

RU - 133, 149, heavyweight
Neb - 125, 141, 157, 174, 197
Toss up - 165, 184
Wrestle stay has neb over RU 26-6. I think it should be closer to that.

PSU - I think we all know their lineup if you're a fan of college wrestling and they've unleashed their younger guys at 57 and 65. Both of whom are having a great year with solid wins.

What does the fan base expect out of the Penn State match friday? I think realistically we are favored at one weight class.

Neb - going to be a tough one as well but I do see some opportunities here match up wise.

Toss up - 165, 184
You're right; Peterson is the only favorite. I could see them sitting out their starters at 133 and 174 to avoid any unnecessary risk of injury. I have no idea who would wrestle in their place. I'd like to think Olivieri has a chance, but our guys have had a tough time breaking the top ten, although weirder things have happened. Overall, it'll be pretty ugly. I'm curious how Soldano will do with Brooks and whether or not the experience has the same demoralizing effect on him as it did with Poz.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nebraska... We should win 133. If White wrestles inspired, there's a chance.

Toss up - 165, 184
RU - 133, hopefully, 149, I give Soldano the nod at 184, and Boone should win HWT if he doesn't get hurt on Friday. I'd like to see Kanniard pull it off, but I fear he'll be offering up his legs.

You're right; Peterson is the only favorite. I could see them sitting out their starters at 133 and 174 to avoid any unnecessary risk of injury. I have no idea who would wrestle in their place. I'd like to think Olivieri has a chance, but our guys have had a tough time breaking the top ten, although weirder things have happened. Overall, it'll be pretty ugly. I'm curious how Soldano will do with Brooks and whether or not the experience has the same demoralizing effect on him as it did with Poz.
For the most part this year, RBY will only wrestle one of the two duals if they have a Friday/Sunday match. Since they at home Sunday I think RBY wrestles Sunday and sits against RU. The only other guy who may sit is Brooks at 184. His roommate is a very solid 184 pounder, Donovan Ball. Brooks likes to let his roommate get mat time. If it’s Ball, him and Soldano will be a good one with an edge to Soldano. If it’s Brooks..well..won’t be pretty as he’ll take Soldano apart with his reckless style.

If RBY sits it will most likely be Baylor Shunk. Scrappy kid but Heilmann will be too much for him

My guess..RBY and Brooks sit against RU.

Last edited:
For the most part this year, RBY will only wrestle one of the two duals if they have a Friday/Sunday match. Since they at home Sunday I think RBY wrestles Sunday and sits against RU. The only other guy who may sit is Brooks at 184. His roommate is a very solid 184 pounder, Donovan Ball. Brooks likes to let his roommate get mat time. If it’s Ball, him and Soldano will be a good one with an edge to Soldano. If it’s Brooks..well..won’t be pretty as he’ll take Soldano apart with his reckless style.

If RBY sits it will most likely be Baylor Shunk. Scrappy kid but Heilmann will be too much for him

My guess..RBY and Brooks sit against RU.
Wild guess and I even got one right.

Penn state and Nebraska both present golden opportunities that goodie mentioned in his season opener...

Time to beat some guys "we arent supposed to beat". Notch some upsets

The only thing in the Penn State match I care to see is how Soldano matches up with Brooks. Highly unlikely he wins but if he can score on Brooks or even keep it close you have to love it.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Pretty bad that this team just has no shot at the top 8 - 10 Big 10 teams. Reminds me of football for the last decade. Maybe we beat Md, Indiana, Illinois but not even Indiana or Northwestern for wrestling anymore. Are there any recruits coming in that are going to change this moving forward? Doesn't seem like it.

Pretty bad that this team just has no shot at the top 8 - 10 Big 10 teams. Reminds me of football for the last decade. Maybe we beat Md, Indiana, Illinois but not even Indiana or Northwestern for wrestling anymore. Are there any recruits coming in that are going to change this moving forward? Doesn't seem like it.
Dont ask that you will just get lambasted

How in the hell can you equate wrestling in any shape or form to the atrocities we have seen in football? Football has languished in the bottom of the pit nationally while wrestling has had success, closely competed with top teams (not this year), and stays ranked in the top 25.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
How in the hell can you equate wrestling in any shape or form to the atrocities we have seen in football? Football has languished in the bottom of the pit nationally while wrestling has had success, closely competed with top teams (not this year), and stays ranked in the top 25.
Do we have any shot at beating the top 8 Big 10 teams? Hence the comparison to football since they joined the Big 10. We are trending in that direction currently. Convince me otherwise.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Peterson, Shawver, and Olivieri have shown they belong in the big 10. If Poz can return to form he’s up there as well. Soldano is a work in progress but has had flashes of elite potential. Those 5 are going to pull most of the weight next year assuming Soldano doesn’t RS.

The key is to supplement the rest of the roster with guys who can win matches. Boone is absolutely one of those guys now. Clark will keep most matches to a decision in either direction. White we have to see, and Turley is hit or miss. 165 is a huge problem.

Maybe Fongaro or Gayer get stronger and fill in somewhere in middle weights. The incoming freshman class isn’t great but I think the lackluster recruiting the last few years has a lot to do with the covid year creating huge rosters. The 2024 class should be better with Henrich, Nini, and hopefully Harer coming in.

Do we have any shot at beating the top 8 Big 10 teams? Hence the comparison to football since they joined the Big 10. We are trending in that direction currently. Convince me otherwise.
Programs were worse than: Penn State, Iowa, Ohio St, Michigan

Programs were better than: Maryland, Indiana (they beat us but only because of a 9 point injury default swing)

The rest of the big 10 is pretty much even where any team can beat the other year to year. Teams like Northwestern are better this year but I’d be pretty surprised if that was a permanent thing.

The top 8 of the big ten on a good year could all be top 12 in the country in wrestling. Every team is good. Even our worst teams are typically right around top 25.

Big ten football doesn't sniff big ten wrestling.

The top 8 of the big ten on a good year could all be top 12 in the country in wrestling. Every team is good. Even our worst teams are typically right around top 25.

Big ten football doesn't sniff big ten wrestling.
Yeah all things equal if Rutgers was perennially 8-10th in the big 10 and towards the bottom of the AP rankings I don’t think there would be much complaining

Reactions: Peteras9144
I don't think many people realize what kind of accomplishment it was to have 2 NC in one year.
I would like to see RU have 3 to 4 ALL Americans a year with 1 of them having a shot at Champ.

This is a down year. This should end are streak of Multi year AA's.
There is an OUTSIDE shot we can equal that. but currently seems out of touch.

The top 80 wrestlers AA Every year....
That means unless someone is a top 20 P4p wrestler coming out of highschool, it is highly possibly they are not going to AA

Since Covid gave an extra year, unless someone is a top 15 P4P wrestler coming out of high school, there is a possibility they do not AA,

This is a down year, but there is hope with young kids like Peterson, Shawver, Poz, Soldano
I believe the team can recruit better and I am hoping for good results on that front!

Peterson, Shawver, and Olivieri have shown they belong in the big 10. If Poz can return to form he’s up there as well. Soldano is a work in progress but has had flashes of elite potential. Those 5 are going to pull most of the weight next year assuming Soldano doesn’t RS.

The key is to supplement the rest of the roster with guys who can win matches. Boone is absolutely one of those guys now. Clark will keep most matches to a decision in either direction. White we have to see, and Turley is hit or miss. 165 is a huge problem.

Maybe Fongaro or Gayer get stronger and fill in somewhere in middle weights. The incoming freshman class isn’t great but I think the lackluster recruiting the last few years has a lot to do with the covid year creating huge rosters. The 2024 class should be better with Henrich, Nini, and hopefully Harer coming in.
We need to go gangbusters in the portal especially at 165 and 174 if possible to make up for poor recruiting from last year. I'd go all in to try to land O'Malley at Drexel for 174.

What the hell are you talking about lackluster recruiting the last few years. The staff recruits the top wrestlers in the country. Some come to Rutgers and some of them choose not to. But it's not because the staff isn't trying to bring in the top wrestlers. White should move up to 157 and Clark should redshirt next year. Poz looks like he's making the move up. Shawver maybe at 133 next year. Who knows maybe some kids come home for their final year (Cannon, Griffith and Lewis).

What the hell are you talking about lackluster recruiting the last few years. The staff recruits the top wrestlers in the country. Some come to Rutgers and some of them choose not to. But it's not because the staff isn't trying to bring in the top wrestlers. White should move up to 157 and Clark should redshirt next year. Poz looks like he's making the move up. Shawver maybe at 133 next year. Who knows maybe some kids come home for their final year (Cannon, Griffith and Lewis).
I don’t think the last few recruiting classes have been all that great. Soldano headlined this years class obviously but aside from him, there wasn’t a ton of top end talent. The year before that was Olivieri and that’s pretty much it. I guess technically you can throw Peterson in there but that was similar to the Alvarez decommit situation. The year before that was more or less just Poz. Shawver has developed into a decent wrestler but wasn’t really a big name recruit.

Point is, we need more guys with top end talent. One top guy per year is nice but it’s not going to cut it team wise in the conference.

Obviously we’ve hit on transfers like Bulsak and Rivera but the high school recruiting can certainly improve.

This year? No, and i said that in my post. Past years, yes. Wrestling has had at least 2 AA for how many years? Produced B1G individual champions. Had 2 national champions which were the first ever in wrestling history. There's no way it's similar to football.

What about Mike O'Malley as a transfer target for 174? He'd be just what the doctor ordered.

What about Mike O'Malley as a transfer target for 174? He'd be just what the doctor ordered.
I like O'Malley also, but someone has to enter the transfer portal to transfer. What gives you the idea he wants to transfer. His brother is a grad student at Drexel, maybe Mike also wants to get a grad degree their.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Dang, wondering if it would have made any difference, this season ,if White went 157(Clark 165)… who goes 149 for us next year??
In this hypothetical it would almost have to be Fongaro or a transfer

Dang, wondering if it would have made any difference, this season ,if White went 157(Clark 165)… who goes 149 for us next year??
The weight cut wasn't hard for him. He's a very disciplined young man. Watching him this year I think 157 would have been a better weight. That's my opinion. Clark is a 157lber. Clark looks good this year. Getting better every match, his confidence is growing.

Doesn't matter whether our guys move up or down in weight class. They won't be successful if they can't execute some reliable takedowns. IMO

Reactions: koleszar and obrats
So who are our best chances of upset for Penn State tonight? Name 3.

Oliveri, Clark, janzer in that order. Imo
If we got one of the three I'd be pretty pumped.

So who are our best chances of upset for Penn State tonight? Name 3.

Oliveri, Clark, janzer in that order. Imo
If we got one of the three I'd be pretty pumped.
Assuming it’s the PSU starter going.. best chance of an upset are 1: Olivieri
I’m having a tough time thinking of any other upset possibilities.. I honestly think 2: Soldano.. if he can catch AB in a big move he’s got a punchers chance..

Clark and Janzer are on the rise but Levi Haines and Dean are another animals and national title contenders..

Assuming it’s the PSU starter going.. best chance of an upset are 1: Olivieri
I’m having a tough time thinking of any other upset possibilities.. I honestly think 2: Soldano.. if he can catch AB in a big move he’s got a punchers chance..

Clark and Janzer are on the rise but Levi Haines and Dean are another animals and national title contenders..
I can't see Soldano catching Brooks in any scenario. The upper echelon guys are too much for Soldano at this time. They are too big and too strong. Brooks hasn't even given up a takedown yet this year. Brian will need to clean up his style/limit risks big time just to keep it close imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT