ADVERTISEMENT

No. 23 Rutgers Wrestling Closes Dual Season with No. 1 Penn State (Friday), No. 10 Nebraska (Sunday)

Is Olivieri hurt! Hope not. If not hurt or sick, don’t understand the decision. Joey needs the experience and if Hardy gets a tech fall, we given them the match. Can’t believe that Goodale wouldn’t give our guys a chance to win the match.

• Wow
Reactions: rugrapfan1
11-10 Nebraska through 6 but I’m not confident we’re going to have enough to win this unless Soldano can work a pin.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Nice job by White to get the late takedown. Horrendous 2nd stall call against him earlier.

If it’s rest I don’t agree with the decision at all. Should have rested him Friday since we have a way better shot of winning this dual full lineup.

Boone was sick a couple days ago so maybe just a bug
I'd guess it was under the weather or resting a minor tweak. He looked sluggish last match and others have been under the weather.

Kanniard missed Fri too, have to wonder if he's hurt or under the weather.
Kannaird went out for the coin toss so he’s not sick

Desantis deserves a crack but I’m not sure this is the right spot for it. Hopefully he can get a win

Kannaird went out for the coin toss so he’s not sick

Desantis deserves a crack but I’m not sure this is the right spot for it. Hopefully he can get a win
You can be sick or just getting over it and still there. Looked like Wilson grabbed headgear a 2nd time just now btw

I think fans care more about winning duals than the teams do. Just amazing how many teams rationalize sitting guys out depending on match ups. Now if someone is hurt that is legitimate but that does not always seem to be the case and as a result the quality of the dual suffers. Very individual focused sport.

I think fans care more about winning duals than the teams do. Just amazing how many teams rationalize sitting guys out depending on match ups. Now if someone is hurt that is legitimate but that does not always seem to be the case and as a result the quality of the dual suffers. Very individual focused sport.
Right now, it's all we've got. B1G's were going to get fvcking pounded.

Goodale wants to win duals so I’m hoping we get some answers because these lineup choices probably cost us an opportunity to pull an upset. Healthy Olivieri isn’t getting tech’d and Kannaird gives the team a better chance of a win at 165 than Desantis. Puzzling to say the least.

Looks like the coaches wanted to give DeSantis and Britton an opportunity rather than win the dual which is fine but when fan support decreases because people don’t want to watch backups or have us continually lose matches, they can’t complain. Can’t have it both ways. Can’t say duals don’t matter and then expect people to show up and throw money at the program especially if guys aren’t AAing or winning NCs. If the later is happening then no one will have an issue but that doesn’t appear to be the case this year.

If guys are sick or hurt it’s a different story but that doesn’t look like it’s the case especially since there is like 3 weeks until the B1G tournament.

Goodale wants to win duals so I’m hoping we get some answers because these lineup choices probably cost us an opportunity to pull an upset. Healthy Olivieri isn’t getting tech’d and Kannaird gives the team a better chance of a win at 165 than Desantis. Puzzling to say the least.
Even further to that, Kanniard wins that match after watching Wilson. Hopefully a good reason bc this dual was winnable

Reactions: bluemountain1967
Looks like the coaches wanted to give DeSantis and Britton an opportunity rather than win the dual which is fine but when fan support decreases because people don’t want to watch backups or have us continually lose matches, they can’t complain. Can’t have it both ways. Can’t say duals don’t matter and then expect people to show up and throw money at the program especially if guys aren’t AAing or winning NCs.
Agreed. And again, let them wrestle against Penn State where the dual is not winnable. Senior night too.

Reactions: bluemountain1967
Looks like the coaches wanted to give DeSantis and Britton an opportunity rather than win the dual which is fine but when fan support decreases because people don’t want to watch backups or have us continually lose matches, they can’t complain. Can’t have it both ways. Can’t say duals don’t matter and then expect people to show up and throw money at the program especially if guys aren’t AAing or winning NCs. If the later is happening then no one will have an issue but that doesn’t appear to be the case this year.

If guys are sick or hurt it’s a different story but that doesn’t look like it’s the case especially since there is like 3 weeks until the B1G tournament.
Season ticket sales for this year weren't as robust as years past. Now that may have to do with only 4 home matches, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on in the near future. The great support for the program may begin to wane.

Turley actually looked good. Not sure what happened in previous matches this year but so close to the takedown against the #2 kid. He wrestles like this all season and he would beat a lot of kids he lost to.

Last edited:
Now we Forfeit? This is fvcking strange. I guess the coaches have an excuse for this.

And now a forfeit? Guessing Soldano is legitimately hurt or sick and without a backup there we weren’t winning the dual so give the seniors one last bout.

This week feels like it was a few years ago … MBB 0-2, wrestling 0-2, gymnastics lost, WBB 0-2 … losing every B1G contest.

Season ticket sales for this year weren't as robust as years past. Now that may have to do with only 4 home matches, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on in the near future. The great support for the program may begin to wane.
It’s more the few duals. I was going to buy until I saw the schedule

I'm sure it was to protect seeds at the B1G, but this is everything that is wrong with the sport and why it will never grow. We gave away 30% of our matches today in a potentially winnable dual. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: KidDagger
I'm sure it was to protect seeds at the B1G, but this is everything that is wrong with the sport and why it will never grow. We gave away 30% of our matches today in a potentially winnable dual. Disgraceful.
I think there’s a simple but probably controversial way to fix this problem at least for conference tournament seeding.

Each team gets one entry per weight class. Take the teams win loss records at each weight instead of doing it individually. If Penn State wants RBY to get the one seed then he better wrestle during the season or his backup has to earn it for him. Elite guys wrestling 10 times before postseason is stupid.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think there’s a simple but probably controversial way to fix this problem at least for conference tournament seeding.

Each team gets one entry per weight class. Take the teams win loss records at each weight instead of doing it individually. If Penn State wants RBY to get the one seed then he better wrestle during the season or his backup has to earn it for him. Elite guys wrestling 10 times before postseason is stupid.
You really think RBY gives a crap where he’s seeded at conference tournament? He’ll be 13-0 going into B1Gs. Who’s he gonna be seeded behind? Heilmann because he didn’t wrestle against RU? Only screws someone else as they would have to face him earlier than expected.

Seed him 14th. He’ll still end up 1 and someone else gets screwed..

You really think RBY gives a crap where he’s seeded at conference tournament? He’ll be 13-0 going into B1Gs. Who’s he gonna be seeded behind? Heilmann because he didn’t wrestle against RU? Only screws someone else as they would have to face him earlier than expected.

Seed him 14th. He’ll still end up 1 and someone else gets screwed..
No one is doubting he’s the best wrestler but if you don’t think the stars of the sport sitting out is god awful for the growth of the sport you’re crazy.

Something needs to be done about it. There are too many guys who take days off routinely and it’s ridiculous. Teams are forfeiting and medically defaulting 0:01 into matches to protect seeds. It’s embarrassing

No one is doubting he’s the best wrestler but if you don’t think the stars of the sport sitting out is god awful for the growth of the sport you’re crazy.

Something needs to be done about it. There are too many guys who take days off routinely and it’s ridiculous. Teams are forfeiting and medically defaulting 0:01 into matches to protect seeds. It’s embarrassing
They fixed the .01 defaults 2 yrs ago. That’s no longer allowed.

Covid has a lot to do with this. Bottom line. You’re asking kids to wrestle 5-8 yrs because they got the free Covid year. It’s a grueling sport. If I only get to see a Spencer Lee or an RBY for 13-20 matches I’m grateful

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT