ADVERTISEMENT

No. 23 Rutgers Wrestling Closes Dual Season with No. 1 Penn State (Friday), No. 10 Nebraska (Sunday)

They fixed the .01 defaults 2 yrs ago. That’s no longer allowed.

Covid has a lot to do with this. Bottom line. You’re asking kids to wrestle 5-8 yrs because they got the free Covid year. It’s a grueling sport. If I only get to see a Spencer Lee or an RBY for 13-20 matches I’m grateful
If they’re that exhausted then graduate. No one is forcing them to be a college athlete.

The best guys need to wrestle in order for the sport to grow. No one wants to go see backups and forfeits.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If they’re that exhausted then graduate. No one is forcing them to be a college athlete.

The best guys need to wrestle in order for the sport to grow. No one wants to go see backups and forfeits.
Lol. So if you’re Cael and RBY tells you he’ll come back but only wrestle the big matches and home matches..you’d tell him no? Sure

Lol. So if you’re Cael and RBY tells you he’ll come back but only wrestle the big matches and home matches..you’d tell him no? Sure
I don’t fault Cael or RBY. I fault the governing body that allows it to happen.

By 184 the dual match was decided and Goodale knew Soldano prob wouldn't beat Pinto so he forfeited. Weak. Another weekend of getting pounded in Big 10 duals.

• Haha
Reactions: Peteras9144
The program has peaked under Goodale, seems to be regressing a bit. Maybe it is time for some new blood to take over where he left off and take the program to the next level.

Reactions: flyer1986
Wisconsin like 5 years ago is the first that comes to mind unfortunately
Has it really been that long since they won a dual? I don’t follow it as closely as many on this board but close enough to be very surprised if that is true.

Has it really been that long since they won a dual? I don’t follow it as closely as many on this board but close enough to be very surprised if that is true.
They’ve won plenty of big 10 duals but a big time matchup? Yeah I think this is the most recent

We don't have a better explanation, do we? I would have liked to have seen Soldano compete regardless of the duel result.
Think he was resting a minor tweak or something.. wonder if match came down to 184 if he woulda went..

While A. Brooks is amazing, I still believe best p4p is def Spencer Lee, I did notice that after Poz lost to AB is when his bad streak started to happen last year.. getting beat down could really grind ya down n hurt your confidence so maybe it was best to sit Soldano w/ the dual out of hand.. Hope he bounces back n get some of that early season hype back up at b10

program has regressed, we dont recruit like we have or like we should. we need an identity and goodale is not it. need to find the next pide piper and pay him to build a program. duals do matter to the fan base we need depth and studs, i get we will never be elite, but we need to be top 5 in the BIG 10 we need to be better than any of the ACC schools and lehigh
its a shame we are not better, best conference and fertile ground but mediocracy

Think he was resting a minor tweak or something.. wonder if match came down to 184 if he woulda went..

While A. Brooks is amazing, I still believe best p4p is def Spencer Lee, I did notice that after Poz lost to AB is when his bad streak started to happen last year.. getting beat down could really grind ya down n hurt your confidence so maybe it was best to sit Soldano w/ the dual out of hand.. Hope he bounces back n get some of that early season hype back up at b10
From post #4, "I'm curious how Soldano will do with Brooks and whether or not the experience has the same demoralizing effect on him as it did with Poz.".

That was the turning point for Poz last year. Poz lost 10-2 major.

program has regressed, we dont recruit like we have or like we should. we need an identity and goodale is not it. need to find the next pide piper and pay him to build a program. duals do matter to the fan base we need depth and studs, i get we will never be elite, but we need to be top 5 in the BIG 10 we need to be better than any of the ACC schools and lehigh
its a shame we are not better, best conference and fertile ground but mediocracy
Anything could be in the box, even a boat!

Others can chime in if they know better, but didn't we have scholarships tied up between 5-6 year wrestlers and higher profile wrestlers who didn't pan out (Aragona, Alvarez). 9.9 ships are hard to manage when some go down the tubes and others stay on the team longer than expected.
From post #4, "I'm curious how Soldano will do with Brooks and whether or not the experience has the same demoralizing effect on him as it did with Poz.".

That was the turning point for Poz last year. Poz lost 10-2 major.
The turning point was when he tweaked his knee. It might have been that match, I dont remember. One close to the program felt initially he might have been out for the year when he was injured, then he was back in a week and everything was said to be hunky dory (which I personally doubt). Upon return, Poz was a much different wrestler. My thinking it was the injury and not a confidence issue after losing to a beast of a national champion.

Last edited:
Others can chime in if they know better, but didn't we have scholarships tied up between 5-6 year wrestlers and higher profile wrestlers who didn't pan out (Aragona, Alvarez)? 9.9 ships are hard to manage when some go down the tubes and others stay on the team longer than expected.

The turning point was when he tweaked his knee. It might have been that match, I dont remember. One close to the program felt initially he might have been out for the year when he was injured, then he was back in a week and everything was said to be hunky dory (which I personally doubt). Upon return, Poz was a much different wrestler. My thinking it was the injury and not a confidence issue after losing to a beast of a national champion.
Take it for what it’s worth but Goodale said in the preseason that Poz spent a lot of time away from the wrestling room to get his mind right and thinks he’s in a better spot now than he was previously.

Others can chime in if they know better, but didn't we have scholarships tied up between 5-6 year wrestlers and higher profile wrestlers who didn't pan out (Aragona, Alvarez)? 9.9 ships are hard to manage when some go down the tubes and others stay on the team longer than expected.

Poz himself acknowledged an injury during a podcast. I had posted the link to the podcast, an interesting listen. I tend to think he suffered a confidence crisis too, but that will remain speculation. I'm big on Poz as is obvious by my posts. Whatever happened, I hope he has fully recovered, although there was a recent report that he has/had another injury this year. I hope he is back in the line-up next year and competitive. I would have liked to have known how he and Soldano matched up this year.

This may have been reported on before, but I don't recall; is the 9.9 an NCAA or Rutgers rule? Is it set in stone or can it be increased if the university permits it? As everyone knows professional football has a draft system that attempts to level the playing field. That couldn't be done in college sports for a variety of reasons, but I wonder if allowing some universities to offer more scholarships might help level that playing field. Of course, the university would have to be supportive. I think a case could be made.

Poz himself acknowledged an injury during a podcast. I had posted the link to the podcast, an interesting listen. I tend to think he suffered a confidence crisis too, but that will remain speculation. I'm big on Poz as is obvious by my posts. Whatever happened, I hope he has fully recovered, although there was a recent report that he has/had another injury this year. I hope he is back in the line-up next year and competitive. I would have liked to have known how he and Soldano matched up this year.

This may have been reported on before, but I don't recall; is the 9.9 an NCAA or Rutgers rule? Is it set in stone or can it be increased if the university permits it? As everyone knows professional football has a draft system that attempts to level the playing field. That couldn't be done in college sports for a variety of reasons, but I wonder if allowing some universities to offer more scholarships might help level that playing field. Of course, the university would have to be supportive. I think a case could be made.
I talked to poz a few times this year. It sounded like he was doing very well getting back into the gym, getting his body healthy, mind right, and spending some time hitting the books a little harder than he was able to in the past. Everything sounded very positive and straightforward from our quick convos.

Let's not forget but he came straight to college wrestled was an All-American in his first year never took any time off to red shirt no gray shirt in between high school or college and had to deal with all the weirdness of covid while developing as a true frosh.

Per the scholarships, 9.9 is an NCAA rule across all teams. Not all universities have the funding to have 9.9 however. I believe there is a minimum amount you can give per kid not sure if that is relevant.

Also with the nil I'm not sure how that would impact what colleges can do. My first thought is that I could offer scholarships to my starters and with enough endowment money I could offer an nil deal that covers tuition for others on the team.

With that said I don't know how many universities would actually have that kind of money for a wrestling team. Look at Ohio State a year ago they just got three of the top five guys in the country. While they do a great job recruiting year over year, that is a very impressive Haul and I'm sure others can speak on it but I would have to imagine that there is a substantial amount of nil money getting thrown around to get kids of that caliber together in the same class.

I talked to poz a few times this year. It sounded like he was doing very well getting back into the gym, getting his body healthy, mind right, and spending some time hitting the books a little harder than he was able to in the past. Everything sounded very positive and straightforward from our quick convos.

Let's not forget but he came straight to college wrestled was an All-American in his first year never took any time off to red shirt no gray shirt in between high school or college and had to deal with all the weirdness of covid while developing as a true frosh.

Per the scholarships, 9.9 is an NCAA rule across all teams. Not all universities have the funding to have 9.9 however. I believe there is a minimum amount you can give per kid not sure if that is relevant.

Also with the nil I'm not sure how that would impact what colleges can do. My first thought is that I could offer scholarships to my starters and with enough endowment money I could offer an nil deal that covers tuition for others on the team.

With that said I don't know how many universities would actually have that kind of money for a wrestling team. Look at Ohio State a year ago they just got three of the top five guys in the country. While they do a great job recruiting year over year, that is a very impressive Haul and I'm sure others can speak on it but I would have to imagine that there is a substantial amount of nil money getting thrown around to get kids of that caliber together in the same class.

Scholarship regulations

Rules around athletic and academic competition follow precedent, but the new financial and monetary rules around scholarships are a little more complicated. Starting in the 2022-23 season, any member of a men’s wrestling team on an athletic scholarship must receive at least 20% of a full scholarship.

Athletes receiving athletically-related need-based aid at an institution that offers such funding do not need to receive at least 20% of their costs, but they still must demonstrate financial aid as any non-athlete would be required to do. Wrestlers in their final two years of eligibility who have not previously received aid at any institution may also receive less than 20% of athletically-related financial aid.

Reactions: Peteras9144
FWIW after Poz was injured last year and before he came back I was talking to a former high school teacher and coach of his that was under the impression it was a serious injury and he wasn’t coming back anytime soon.

OSU paid the three kids six figures in NIL money.

Anyone know if any of the redshirts and non-starters are hitting any open tournaments in the coming weeks?

OSU paid the three kids six figures in NIL money.
That is a serious charge. Other than heresy, can you provide proof of your statement. Are you certain the Bouzakis commitment did not relate to the fact that his brother died at age 6 and Coach Ryan's son died of a heart disorder at age 5. This created a close connection between coach and recruit. You may also want to research the reason why Feldman committed OSU. It is pretty well documented. I have no information on Mendez.

By the way, Lewis Fernandes of Cornell did not quit. He was injured and had serious surgery. If healthy, he expects to return next year. Please do not speculate.

Last edited:
Reactions: dollarbill
That is a serious charge. Other than heresy, can you provide proof of your statement. Are you certain the Bouzakis commitment did not relate to the fact that his brother died at age 6 and Coach Ryan's son died of a heart disorder at age 5. This created a close connection between coach and recruit. You may also want to research the reason why Feldman committed OSU. It is pretty well documented. I have no information on Mendez.

By the way, Lewis Fernandes of Cornell did not quit. He was injured and had serious surgery. If healthy, he expects to return next year. Please do not speculate.
Didn't speculate. I heard it from people that coached him.
Can anyone prove how much NIL someone got paid. People talk about how much teams are paying wrestlers to come to their school.

Both things can be true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT