ADVERTISEMENT

No. 5 Rutgers Women's Soccer Travels West for NCAA College Cup / Friday, Dec. 3 @ 7 p.m.

Lowrey point blank on the left wing, terrific save by the GK, and then made another save on the rebound shot by Frankie.

That’s where we needed to tie the game. Golden opportunity.

But we went down swinging and had a bunch of chances. Gotta be proud of this wonderful group of young ladies.

Will say, you’ve gotta bury that one near side with a little air under it.

But it’s a hell of a lot easier to say that from my lazy boy.

What a game! Not the result we were hoping for but so proud of this team. I think the perfect word to describe this game for RU is …….unlucky.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Great game by the ladies our best of the year Sam had 2 great chances he should not have taken Amirah out as he tried to sub her back in with 17 minutes to go and because of the lack of a whistle on our control he could not get her in until 9 minutes to go

Bummed we lost because we played an awesome game. Very proud of the team and another great season.

also, well done by the posters here in not devolving into the “same old Rutgers BS”. It’s refreshing to be part of this particular sub message board. I can’t even look at the football or basketball boards anymore, total cesspools and not just because those teams stink. Thanks for making this one tolerable! Cheers.

I had a ton of fun cheering for this team this fall. The last few games were entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm incredibly proud of this team and the way that they were tenacious and RU terrific representatives of both NJ and Rutgers. Go RU!

It hurts a bit because I thought Rutgers played at the same level as FSU for most of the game. But these women have nothing to be ashamed of. They played their hearts out against the top team in the nation and brought home Rutgers' first ever Big Ten championship. I hope they know how special this season was and leave with their heads held high.

First year I really watched them. What an exciting group of young ladies. Very proud of them and look forward to an exciting future for them

Superior foe in reputation only. Our girls were every good & then some. Their goalie saved it for them. We'll be back.
Well this was a generational team and talent. Yes our recruiting is great and we will make the tournament; getting to the Final Four again is going to be a tall order. The one player that will be hardest to replace is Amirah Ali. She was special. I think we will be seeing more of her in the news in the coming years.

Congrats to the team on a special season. You could just see the game getting away from them in the second half. While possessing the ball is not everything in soccer, there seemed to be a very long stretch where FSU was playing in our end with the ball. This resulted in two corners with the second one resulting in a goal. After that, things change dramatically as RU starts playing with desperation. I guess there is a fine line between staying aggressive in a 0-0 match versus throwing caution to the wind when down 1-0 but you can't help but wonder a bit where was the urgency during parts of the second half at 0-0. After the first half they certainly should have been confident that they could hang with FSU.

While they should be good again next year, they will need to replace some key pieces upfront and in the back.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Well this was a generational team and talent. Yes our recruiting is great and we will make the tournament; getting to the Final Four again is going to be a tall order. The one player that will be hardest to replace is Amirah Ali. She was special. I think we will be seeing more of her in the news in the coming years.
We didn’t make the college cup with the greatest women’s player of all time (arguably). It’s a team game and they will find a way.

Superior foe in reputation only. Our girls were every good & then some. Their goalie saved it for them. We'll be back.
Agreed in reputation only; O'Neill with his best coaching job and I believe we played by far our best game of the year and to me you had 2 very evenly matched teams and we actually had the better chances and more of them and just couldn't find the back of the net
Also love how we added a forward and just kept attacking in the end would love to see us do that more!!
Just a great game and we will be back even though we lose a lot of offensive firepower and Gabby we have such a young talented crew that we will be back; if we can add even 1 very good offensive player in the portal we will be even better

Congrats to the team on a special season. You could just see the game getting away from them in the second half. While possessing the ball is not everything in soccer, there seemed to be a very long stretch where FSU was playing in our end with the ball. This resulted in two corners with the second one resulting in a goal. After that, things change dramatically as RU starts playing with desperation. I guess there is a fine line between staying aggressive in a 0-0 match versus throwing caution to the wind when down 1-0 but you can't help but wonder a bit where was the urgency during parts of the second half at 0-0. After the first half they certainly should have been confident that they could hang with FSU.

While they should be good again next year, they will need to replace some key pieces upfront and in the back.
I think the team played very well and the strategy was sound.

You could clearly see that FSU was talented enough that taking risks could very well cost us. So this was a faceoff between two talented teams trying to take advantage.. differently.. of the others mistakes.

We took what Michigan did to us in the Big Ten final and tried to stop FSU from starting its offense from deep in their zone.. forcing longer passes that we could intercept.

And FSU was very patient trying to NOT fall into that trap while also trying to get us to over-commit to that strategy and create openings deep that if they hit on the passes would create opportunities. They got corners off those opportunities and cashed in on one of them (with some barely legal goalie interference of movement). And we nearly cashed in on our strategy working many times.. even when down a goal late in the game.

Really a well-played game on both sides.

Everyone involved with R team should be proud of that game and the season.

Agreed in reputation only; O'Neill with his best coaching job and I believe we played by far our best game of the year and to me you had 2 very evenly matched teams and we actually had the better chances and more of them and just couldn't find the back of the net
Also love how we added a forward and just kept attacking in the end would love to see us do that more!!
Just a great game and we will be back even though we lose a lot of offensive firepower and Gabby we have such a young talented crew that we will be back; if we can add even 1 very good offensive player in the portal we will be even better
Agree Dentist. We could very well find ourselves back there in the near future. We lose Gabby, Frankie & Amirah. However, this is a frosh & soph laden team with invaluable experience now. I can see Allie L, Sam & Riley up front. Sam may well play the middle as I like Allie coming down the wing. As good as Amirah is she still likes to dribble a bit to much with defenders on her for me. I can see Lowrey more than stepping in for her. We will be able to score. And as you say if we add another good scorer we will be even better. Kaylie Daigle needs to grow in order to adequately replace Frankie. As soon as she gets the ball her first move is to dribble whether she has defenders on her or not. Needs to move the ball better.
In the back, as I have previously posted, I was very impressed with frosh Courtney Ruedt at center D. Believe she can step in for Gabby. We also have a center back from Austria coming in via Florida. Looks very good in her video. Allie Post from Livingston, a middie, is also coming. Believe she is very good as well.
PS--Allie Post's HS coach said she is unquestionably the best player he has coached in his 19 yrs of coaching. Perhaps she is ready to step into Frankie's role.

Last edited:
Don’t we lose Mcclelland too? She’s a senior. Not sure the extra Covid year applies or if she even wants it. She will not be easy to replace.

I don’t think so. Tons of talent in the garden state.
NJ does not have more talent than the country and the world, combined.

Plus, I just came from a club game - a highly recruited future D1 PDA player is not going to Rutgers because she does not want to play at “PDA U” in her words.

Plus, I just came from a club game - a highly recruited future D1 PDA player is not going to Rutgers because she does not want to play at “PDA U” in her words.

I don’t think I suggested that NJ has more talent than the world combined, so you’re sort of arguing with yourself there, as that wasn’t your question.

The question as I understood it, can he sustain success for his team with a reliance on recruiting NJ… I think the answer is yes.

Even more cool I just learned from my sister who was once an all state goalie, that my niece played with Allie Lowry in Bridgewater for many years. I never knew that.

Not to me
Even more cool I just learned from my sister who was once an all state goalie, that my niece played with Allie Lowry in Bridgewater for many years. I never knew that.
Not to mention our former goalie also from Bridgewater Casey Murphy just got her 1st cap last week for the USWNT and played outstanding and looks like she could be a permanent fixture for a long time
Also as the question about if we can win with mainly NJ talent the answer is a definite yes!!

Reactions: RU MAN

You are always going to get some girls who want to go out of state but as you can see what many of us have been saying for years if you build a top program the players will want to come and of course that goes for all sports at Rutgers

Wow, she must have been teammates with my daughter - small world.

Our cool thing is that my younger daughter used to train with Casey Murphy. Casey was super nice and very tall

You are always going to get some girls who want to go out of state but as you can see what many of us have been saying for years if you build a top program the players will want to come and of course that goes for all sports at Rutgers
Early word is the RU signed 5 players from the PDA ‘05 team (formerly known as the Strikers). But the best player on the team is going to UNC

This was a tough one, I thought the 424 was interesting and kept the game in reach, really limited FSUs ability to move the ball in the middle third. In the 2nd half I was hoping to see a little more pressing than we saw, however the players left it all on the field and thats what you want as a coach.

What turned the corner for FSU was midway through the 2nd half they started to play more direct into their attacking third by putting balls into the air. Meisel struggled with recovery in those situations, her matchup was a tough one.

Funny thing Becci Fluchel, the stadium announcer was saying her last name as Fliechel v Fluchel and every time the guy said the name a group of what I figured to be parents - "corrected" the announcer. And when he finally got it right the folks in my section gave a kind of Bronx cheer.

This was a tough one, I thought the 424 was interesting and kept the game in reach, really limited FSUs ability to move the ball in the middle third. In the 2nd half I was hoping to see a little more pressing than we saw, however the players left it all on the field and thats what you want as a coach.

What turned the corner for FSU was midway through the 2nd half they started to play more direct into their attacking third by putting balls into the air. Meisel struggled with recovery in those situations, her matchup was a tough one.

Funny thing Becci Fluchel, the stadium announcer was saying her last name as Fliechel v Fluchel and every time the guy said the name a group of what I figured to be parents - "corrected" the announcer. And when he finally got it right the folks in my section gave a kind of Bronx cheer.

Yeah couldn't believe how many times the pronunciation was messed up. Really enjoyed the trip. Team played better than 2015 appearance.

How crazy was it when the second game was about to start? Felt like the whole student body from Santa Clara was there... I left right as the second game was about to start.

I hope you enjoyed your trip as much as I did!

Last edited:

Agree regarding their 2nd half strategy & them playing direct ball over Misal. I like her very much, but agree that she struggled with a tough matchup.

Yeah couldn't believe how many times the pronunciation was messed up. Really enjoyed the trip. Team played better than 2015 appearance.

How crazy was it when the second game was about to start? Felt like the whole student body from Santa Clara was there... I left right as the second game was about to start.

The 2015 team was very good but I said at the beginning of the year that this was the best team, hands down, that I had seen us have. Great year. Hopefully many more to come.

The 2015 team was very good but I said at the beginning of the year that this was the best team, hands down, that I had seen us have. Great year. Hopefully many more to come.

2023 College Cup. That's the target. Have to see who we get in the portal too. May be some growing pains next fall.

I actually live in the area so it was an hour drive for us. Left after the first game however yes the stadium was overrun by Santa Clara students.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
I actually live in the area so it was an hour drive for us. Left after the first game however yes the stadium was overrun by Santa Clara students.

Nice. We had an awesome tailgate at a Santa Clara hotel and went to the team hotel for Scarlet Walk before they got on the bus to the stadium. Was awesome bc FSU came out of the hotel first and they had no support outside.

Reactions: daverivera1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT