ADVERTISEMENT

Official Head Coaching Candidate thread

vkj91

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
yes, I know we have a head coach. Yes, I'd love for him to win 6 games. That being said, figure it would be "easier" to have one place for people who want to discuss potential hires. For those who think this "hurts" recruiting, I'm sorry. I did a pretty exhaustive search of guys I think could be candidates but I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Personally, I don't want another first time head coach but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed. I also think it's very rare for a P5 guy to jump to another P5 school without a really compelling reason, as a result, I limited those names. These are in no real order. Have at it

Norvell: Memphis. He's my guy and have liked him since ASU days. Strong recruiter, winner, fun offense. Has beaten P5 teams while at Memphis. 37, makes under 2 million, won at least 8 games every year as a HC

Jim McElwain: 46-29 as a HC. Won 2 SEC titles. Would imagine he wants back into P5

Jason Candle: Toledo, 29-14. 39 years old. Scores points in bunches

Lance Leipold: can't argue results. Guy wins 133-35 as a HC. Will bring zero buzz but will definitely make you competitive and upset a few teams.

Mike Houston: ECU via JMU. Lots of area recruiting ties. 81-27 as college HC. 42-18 as HS head coach

Rod Carey: fact the Temple AD hired his is good enough for me. Huge buyout.

Luke Fickell: Think he has as much upside as anyone on this list. Can the fan base live with another midwestern OSU DC?

Josh Heupel: really like him but is it still Frost team and the epitome of a rental head coach.

Willie Fritz: excellent coach. Not sure he's a NJ fit but guy is turning around Tulane which is a horrible job. 173-91 as a college head coach

Bill Napier: not a huge track record only 9-8 as HC BUT has worked under Dabo, Saban, and Graham

Blake Anderson: Arkansas State 40-27. 3 conference titles. Fun Offense to watch

Seth Litrell. Maybe the hottest name out there. Probably getting SEC job

Bill Clark: UAB he's the southern version of Lance Leipold with even more wins

Jeff Tedford. only two losing seasons at Cal. Killing it at Fresno. would he come east? could he be our Bronco Mendenhall

P5 Guys:

Fleck: Doesn't want to be in Minnesota. I personally am not a fan and don't think he's a great coach but his teams find a way to win.

Campbell: @rutgersguy1 says he has a huge buyout. Sucks because to me he's a B1G type coach.

Retreads:
Schiano
Jones
Strong

Interesting coordinators:

Bob Shoop: Great DC, lots of area ties. Only HC job was a failure at Columbia
Steve Sarkisian: has he paid off his debt and fixed his image yet?
Phil Longo: NJ guy, huge resume, no HC experience
Dan Enos: Mixed bag as a HC but lots of P5 OC experience
Rich Rod: would take in heartbeat

yes, I know we have a head coach. Yes, I'd love for him to win 6 games. That being said, figure it would be "easier" to have one place for people who want to discuss potential hires. For those who think this "hurts" recruiting, I'm sorry. I did a pretty exhaustive search of guys I think could be candidates but I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Personally, I don't want another first time head coach but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed. I also think it's very rare for a P5 guy to jump to another P5 school without a really compelling reason, as a result, I limited those names. These are in no real order. Have at it

Norvell: Memphis. He's my guy and have liked him since ASU days. Strong recruiter, winner, fun offense. Has beaten P5 teams while at Memphis. 37, makes under 2 million, won at least 8 games every year as a HC

Jim McElwain: 46-29 as a HC. Won 2 SEC titles. Would imagine he wants back into P5

Lance Leipold: can't argue results. Guy wins 133-35 as a HC. Will bring zero buzz but will definitely make you competitive and upset a few teams.

Mike Houston: ECU via JMU. Lots of area recruiting ties. 81-27 as college HC. 42-18 as HS head coach

Luke Fickell: Think he has as much upside as anyone on this list. Can the fan base live with another midwestern OSU DC?

Josh Heupel: really like him but is it still Frost team and the epitome of a rental head coach.

Willie Fritz: excellent coach. Not sure he's a NJ fit but guy is turning around Tulane which is a horrible job. 173-91 as a college head coach

Bill Napier: not a huge track record only 9-8 as HC BUT has worked under Dabo, Saban, and Graham

Jeff Tedford. only two losing seasons at Cal. Killing it at Fresno. would he come east? could he be our Bronco Mendenhall

P5 Guys:

Fleck: Doesn't want to be in Minnesota. I personally am not a fan and don't think he's a great coach but his teams find a way to win.

Campbell: @rutgersguy1 says he has a huge buyout. Sucks because to me he's a B1G type coach.

Retreads:
Schiano
Jones
Strong

Campbell's buyout started at 7M and drops 1M each February...so now it should be 6M...and Heupel's buyout was 10M if he left before the 2020 season bowl game and he's gotten an extension since don't know if anything changed on that front with the extension.

Reactions: vkj91
Dave Clawson - Wake HC

Mike Elko - Texas A&M DC - DC at Wake, ND, A&M - from South Brunswick

Campbell's buyout started at 7M and drops 1M each February...so now it should be 6M...and Heupel's buyout was 10M if he left before the 2020 season bowl game and he's gotten an extension since don't know if anything changed on that front with the extension.

You dont leave Iowa St after you turned it around to go to RU - you wait for a big job to open

Great list...I don’t follow them all enough to have a solid choice but if we go with lessor experience...I want it to be a guy from an exciting offense. Wouldn’t mind it being a guy from a lower level who has found a way to beat a few P5 schools with much less talent.
I’m with you on RichRod- would take him in a nanosecond...

Great list...I don’t follow them all enough to have a solid choice but if we go with lessor experience...I want it to be a guy from an exciting offense. Wouldn’t mind it being a guy from a lower level who has found a way to beat a few P5 schools with much less talent.

Rodriguez's former administrative assistant filed a multimillion-dollar claim accusing him of sexually harassing her and creating a hostile work environment for years. Rodriguez was fired on January 2, 2018 after a three-month internal investigation by the Arizona Wildcats. He admitted to having an extramarital affair, but denied all allegations of other sexual misconduct.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Rodriguez's former administrative assistant filed a multimillion-dollar claim accusing him of sexually harassing her and creating a hostile work environment for years. Rodriguez was fired on January 2, 2018 after a three-month internal investigation by the Arizona Wildcats. He admitted to having an extramarital affair, but denied all allegations of other sexual misconduct.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

And it shouldn't happen.

This is who I'd be looking at if I were Hobbs, in no particular order, with some notes lifted from vkj91's credible post:

Jim McElwain: 46-29 as a HC. Won 2 SEC titles. Would imagine he wants back into P5 and did a nice job at Colorado State, too.

Jason Candle: Toledo, 29-14. Worth talking to, although he took over a program that had had two straight good HCs.

Lance Leipold: A coach's coach, as respected as anyone in the game because coaches know his value. Won't win 100 of his first 106 games as he did at Whitewater, but he is a custom made Big Ten coach. better recruiter than people realize, too.

Mike Houston: ECU via JMU. Lots of area recruiting ties. 81-27 as college HC. 42-18 as HS head coach. Probably won't have a good record at ECU this year, but that program was a dumpster fire. Underrated candidate.

Willie Fritz: 173-91 as a college head coach; he's for real. Does he translate to New Jersey and Rutgers? I'd be more concerned about his age than that. He might just want that shot at a power conference job, and the window won't be open forever.

Jeff Tedford. Only two losing seasons at Cal. Killing it at Fresno. He seems to know how to do this.

I can't think of any current coordinators who make me feel like they'd be a worthwhile roll of the dice.

Norvell, Heupel, Litrell - their moments for Rutgers have passed. They will take higher-profile jobs than that and are likely beyond Rutgers' reach, salary-wise. Rod Carey's buyout is, I believe, $10 million, $10 million, and $8 million for the next three years, so he's staying put. Also would be looking higher if he were going to make a move.

Fleck doesn't seem like a real solution, even if he's miles better than Ash. I guess he could go on the talk-to list. He'd shake things up, that's for sure.

Rich Rodriguez and Charlie Strong are yesterday's newspaper. Whatever made Rich Rod innovative has become commonplace; he's not different anymore. And Strong is just not a good head coach, apparently. And retreads are retreads. Schiano and Butch Jones could come in and improve things, but both are likelier to disappoint.

EDIT: There are two guys I forgot about, one of whom I just saw mentioned on this thread, Mike Elko, as well as Bob Surace.

Elko is really the only coordinator I can think of who would be appealing. The South Brunswick native is ready for that point in his career, and was favored early by Temple before he got a big salary boost from A&M. His interest may or may not have just been a negotiating ploy, but in any case, he's earned his shot now and I don't think it'll be long. The one drawback is his salary. I think he already makes something like $3.5 million as a coordinator. Wow. He's going to want a king's ransom to be a head coach.

And Princeton's Bob Surace might be my out of the box candidate. He is a Milville, N.J., native, and even though he recruits kids to play in the Ivy, look at his roster. He gets kids from Bergen Catholic, St. Joe's Prep (Philly), etc., so he can walk into those football offices and not have to introduce himself to the staff. He took Princeton from bottom-feeder to the very best in the Ivy despite having the battle one of the strictest admissions offices in the league.

Last edited:

P5 Guys:

Retreads:
Schiano
Jones
Strong

Narduzzi may be available at seasons end.has some N.J ties

Chris Klieman out to a 3-0 start with a win over Moorhead at Miss St too....not a bad beginning coming from NDSU....obviously very early in his tenure.

This is who I'd be looking at if I were Hobbs, in no particular order, with some notes lifted from vkj91's credible post:

Jim McElwain: 46-29 as a HC. Won 2 SEC titles. Would imagine he wants back into P5 and did a nice job at Colorado State, too.

Jason Candle: Toledo, 29-14. Worth talking to, although he took over a program that had had two straight good HCs.

Lance Leipold: A coach's coach, as respected as anyone in the game because coaches know his value. Won't win 100 of his first 106 games as he did at Whitewater, but he is a custom made Big Ten coach. better recruiter than people realize, too.

Mike Houston: ECU via JMU. Lots of area recruiting ties. 81-27 as college HC. 42-18 as HS head coach. Probably won't have a good record at ECU this year, but that program was a dumpster fire. Underrated candidate.

Willie Fritz: 173-91 as a college head coach; he's for real. Does he translate to New Jersey and Rutgers? I'd be more concerned about his age than that. He might just want that shot at a power conference job, and the window won't be open forever.

Jeff Tedford. Only two losing seasons at Cal. Killing it at Fresno. He seems to know how to do this.

I can't think of any current coordinators who make me feel like they'd be a worthwhile roll of the dice.

Norvell, Heupel, Litrell - their moments for Rutgers have passed. They will take higher-profile jobs than that and are likely beyond Rutgers' reach, salary-wise. Rod Carey's buyout is, I believe, $10 million, $10 million, and $8 million for the next three years, so he's staying put. Also would be looking higher if he were going to make a move.

Fleck doesn't seem like a real solution, even if he's miles better than Ash. I guess he could go on the talk-to list. He'd shake things up, that's for sure.

Rich Rodriguez and Charlie Strong are yesterday's newspaper. Whatever made Rich Rod innovative has become commonplace; he's not different anymore. And Strong is just not a good head coach, apparently. And retreads are retreads. Schiano and Butch Jones could come in and improve things, but both are likelier to disappoint.
Some people here have said there is interest by Rutgers in Schiano, others have said it is not true.

If it is the latter, I could almost see Fleck being on the list (using Rutgers logic) as a way to try and placate the Schiano fans without actually considering Schiano.

Just extra details on McElwain. McElwain's got a good record, worked for Saban as OC won 2 SEC east titles but IIRC for whatever reason had big trouble finding a performing qb at UF...and then of course those weird false death threat comments he made for who knows what reason.

I've given my preferences here a million times...type of offense implemented is also a deal breaker for me...so someone like Narduzzi is out on those grounds for me.

Norvell/Littrell first choices but maybe not so realistic although if Littrell has a down year who knows and then if Helton fired at USC...how about a nice Leach tree/UNT alumni reunion in Piscataway lol. :Wink:

After them I prefer some coordinators over the other realistic G5...again type of offense would matter to me so that has to be verified in an interview which none of us have any input on lol.

Dave Aranda (many here would hate his introvert personality, demonstrated doing more with less and off the Leach and worked with spread offenses besides his Wisconsin tenure)

Mike Elko (demonstrated more with less at WF, improved A&M's defense and some good offensive influence)

Alex Grinch (if OU keeps showing improvement on defense,improved Leach's WSU defense, he's got tons of offensive connections...maybe bring a Bedenbaugh with him, although as first time OC which some here may not like)

Also if it's a coordinator type maybe someone like a Leavitt or other former HC as a coordinator or AHC/position coach to help.

6 million buyout
I didn't know that and I like seeing it. That's another good sign of ADs finally smartening up and making things a two way street. But I didn't bring him up as a candidate for us more as an example of a coach from the lower levels (NDSU) doing not so bad very early in his tenure...as opposed to Chip Kelly who I'm still shocked about lol.

The more I think about it, of all the non-name coaches (including Schiano), Monken gives Rutgers the best opportunity to dig itself out of this hole because he puts competitive teams on the field without (1) the capability to recruit, and (2) a passing quarterback ... and those are two things that historically we don't have (and are hard to acquire) at Rutgers.

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too just as something to also take into account.

I don't have any issue with guys with previous HC experience but you know one thing that can be an issue with a current guy with previous experience is that they bring their whole staff along with them as they feel they owe it to them or are married to those guys who helped them achieve what they did and some of those guys may not be up to snuff on the move up. All coaches (HC experience or not) often stick with their connections but I wonder if a current HC at least at the outset is less flexible to look outside his immediate staff than a guy who doesn't have that experience.

Donovan as OC with Franklin to PSU comes to mind until he was fired for Moorhead. Was just reading Fritz also fired his OC last year who had been with him through SHSU and Georgia Southern after his offense never finished higher than 8th in the AAC in PPG/YPG. Frost took his whole UCF staff along with him to Nebraska....Heupel had to replace them all as a first time head coach but maybe that's why he was open enough to get a Randy Shannon as DC.

Just another thing to think about or to pay attention to when looking at prospective candidates. How are those coordinators, specifically the one on the opposite side of the ball, doing for that HC trying to make the step up.

I think your top five guys based on the buzz, recruiting, and coaching. You need somebody to demand excellence throughout the administration and get on aboard with making this successful.

1. Greg Schiano- He has done it.
2. Josh Gattis

Reactions: cicero grimes
If you do not want Schiano you need someone LIKE Schiano. Someone who will battle the NJ HS coaches, the local media, and the BOG. We need regime change at this university. It is time to start thinking like an elite Academic and ATHLETIC institution.

P5 Guys:

Retreads:
Schiano
Jones
Strong

Joe Moorhead???

That’s a good list. I enjoy reading stuff like this but now you have to list the next step.

What other programs coaches are on a short leash?
What coach may jump to NFL?
If the RU job is open and several other schools(P5 & G5) which jobs have a connection to your list?
Which jobs are perceived as “better” that could take your choice?
What coach may retire?

All fun in speculating this time of year.

Reactions: ATIOH
I think your top five guys based on the buzz, recruiting, and coaching. You need somebody to demand excellence throughout the administration and get on aboard with making this successful.

2. Josh Gattis
I like Gattis a great deal. The only other candidate on my list would be Bo Pellini because I think he has something to prove.

That’s a good list. I enjoy reading stuff like this but now you have to list the next step.

What other programs coaches are on a short leash?
What coach may jump to NFL?
If the RU job is open and several other schools(P5 & G5) which jobs have a connection to your list?
Which jobs are perceived as “better” that could take your choice?
What coach may retire?

All fun in speculating this time of year.
Welcome back

2. Josh Gattis
What’s so special about Gattis

as far as I know, Hall and Monken have no history and don't run the same O
https://www.nola.com/sports/article_97d913da-3818-5784-876d-496483d9a25d.html
“I got all theirs broke down for the last three years,” said Hall, who studies many of the more prolific passing offenses in the NFL, but his roots lie with the run-based triple-option system taught by his father in Mississippi for the better part of four decades.

https://www.asforfootball.com/2019/05/29/army-football-101-the-triple-option/

Put Monken and Hall together, and they will find a way to score points.

Some people think this is easy. Its very hard. The list that VKJ started is a very good one. There may be 2-3 coaches on that list that are close to sure bets and they will be hard to get. Its a 50/50 shot of anyone picking the right coach. To top it off, winning at RU is not easy. One coach did it in the past 40 years at Rutgers and it took 6 years.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I wonder if the defense shows promise and keeps games close but the offense continues to be worst in the country level Hobbs/Ash try to pass the blame and fire the OC. Gives them another year to reduce the buy-out and they have a sacrificial lamb. 2020 becomes the make or break year for Ash.

We haven't technically "fired" an OC yet depsite the terrible results (DM was basically forced out but not officially fired).

Elko! I’d hate to see him leave A&M but coming to RU would make that loss well worth it...

He’s already used to big $$ in a state with no income tax and a ridiculous amount of talent.

It’s funny to listen to him in interviews...the Jerseyness sure stands out (especially down here)

He seems a far more appealing choice than Rutgers Jesus (Schiano)

Reactions: tico brown
I like the Princeton coach as he runs a very high scoring offense and he did turn Princeton around. Now he is a Princeton grad so it might be hard to pry him away, but RU could certainly do worse as we all know.

I like the Princeton coach as he runs a very high scoring offense and he did turn Princeton around. Now he is a Princeton grad so it might be hard to pry him away, but RU could certainly do worse as we all know.
Is it the Princeton coach or the OC hw just lost to Oklahoma state?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT