ADVERTISEMENT

Old Dominion Drops Wrestling - Should Rutgers Pursue Michael McGee

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
McGee will be a junior. 2 time National qualifier. MAC Champion - Beat Aquilar and undefeated as a redshirt this year. Top recruit out of high school. From Illinois. While he would be an upgrade, is he worth pursuing?

Old Dominion University announced they are discontinuing the wrestling program. AD announced that financial issues arising from Corona virus contributed to shutdown.

McGee will be a junior. 2 time National qualifier. MAC Champion - Beat Aquilar and undefeated as a redshirt this year. Top recruit out of high school. From Illinois. While he would be an upgrade, is he worth pursuing?
Probably not. Not a significant upgrade especially with the potential elites that could be joining us next year. Especially for a kid from Illinois with no real connection to our program. I’m sure Goodale and co will do their homework but seems like courting him would be somewhat of a waste of resources for very little if any reward

They must lose a bundle on their football team since they moved to FBS and play in a conference with what I imagine is a very low payout. With a 20,000 seat stadium, I can't imagine they have a very good income side, even when winning.

It's a dying sport at the collegiate level. It will be the first sport dropped by most schools if their athletic budgets are stretched thin by the Corona Virus. Either way, within the next 5-10 years will be down to less than 50 schools, going the way of men's college gymnastics. It was a nice diversion while the football and basketball teams' stunk, now that they are on the rebound nobody but the hardcore fans will care about this sport at Rutgers. 2018 will be the highlight year in the history of Rutgers wrestling, hope you enjoyed it.

5-4 score. Not much of an upgrade

Reactions: elvis7
It's a dying sport at the collegiate level. It will be the first sport dropped by most schools if their athletic budgets are stretched thin by the Corona Virus. Either way, within the next 5-10 years will be down to less than 50 schools, going the way of men's college gymnastics. It was a nice diversion while the football and basketball teams' stunk, now that they are on the rebound nobody but the hardcore fans will care about this sport at Rutgers. 2018 will be the highlight year in the history of Rutgers wrestling, hope you enjoyed it.

go outside and get some fresh air

It was a nice diversion while the football and basketball teams' stunk, now that they are on the rebound nobody but the hardcore fans will care about this sport at Rutgers. 2018 will be the highlight year in the history of Rutgers wrestling, hope you enjoyed it.

Geez..I sure hope not. But for many programs, they could only hope to have 2 national champions in any given year..so that might be the best individual performances for RU. Team wise on the national level, we shall see. And I think you are wrong about only the hardcore fans will support the team. NJ has such a strong following for wrestling, I think the numbers hold pretty well as long as we have a competitive team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT