ADVERTISEMENT

One Thing I Think We Can Agree On

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
The Gleeson hire was a disaster and not having a dedicated ST coordinator was a mistake but Greg made a good pick in getting Joe Harasymiak as our DC.
Looking at that statement maybe the title of the thread should be "Three Things I Think We Can Agree On".

How much of the defensive accomplishments are HC Schiano's credit?

Nothing against DC Harasymiak but I would assume (and hope) HC Schiano is part of the process for how the defense has performed considering his extensive defensive background.

Colby….remember, you and I pledged never agree. Thus, no the Gleason hire was not a disaster. The disaster was the Schaino hire. Who dictates philosophy? Who ‘approves’ the playbook ? Was the O any better with the replacement ?

But let’s switch to Grant Wahl. Serious stuff. I’m very interested in the Colbert Commission assessment. I saw it on twitter that a pristine bullet fell out of his ear in the ambulance.

Can you redirect your massive mental energies to this question? After all, E=MColbert squared.

Last edited:
dumb-dumber.gif

Why was Gleason a bad hire. At the time he as one of the top OCs in the country at a major power 5 school that didn't want him to leave.

No OC has really been successful here in 15 years.

Maybe it's not the OC and the players.

How much of the defensive accomplishments are HC Schiano's credit?

Nothing against DC Harasymiak but I would assume (and hope) HC Schiano is part of the process for how the defense has performed considering his extensive defensive background.
well.. when our DL has not shifted pre-snap all season long, as far as I can remember, I wonder if Schiano really had say in the defense. That was standard behavior for Schiano defenses to confuse OL blocking assignments. With undersized DL, this worked wonders for us and, I think, helped keep the OL at the LOS instead of going straight to the 2nd tier LBs to get in a block.

I would really like to see that re-introduced.

Reactions: NickRU714
Why was Gleason a bad hire. At the time he as one of the top OCs in the country at a major power 5 school that didn't want him to leave.

What about Ralph Friedgen? He worked wonders.

He did for one season but he had the best players we had in a long time. Much better than the players we have today.
I will add.. as to the overall theme of the thread.. I was ecstatic when Gleeson was hired. I loved the OK State offense. But I did not know enough about it nor how much credit Gleeson should have been given for it compared to the head coach or any other OCs invovled.

I can see now why we made teh same mistake, albeit a bigger mistake, going with Chris Ash for HC. He was credited with OSU's defense.. where he was co-OC alongside the guy most responsible, Luke Fickell, who was hired by Wisconisn.. for whom Chris Ash once worked and was recommended to Rutgers by Barry Alvarez.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Reminds me of the 49ers guru Bill Walsh recommending Terry Shea to Rutgers. I mean, Bill fn Walsh says he is the guy to hire.. you hire "the guy".. right?

You cannot make this stuff up.

He did for one season but he had the best players we had in a long time. Much better than the players we have today.
That is true, but he turned Gary Nova into a better QB by actually teaching him how to play the position, something that none of the previous OCs bothered to do, and that none of the OCs since he left have bothered to do with all of the subsequent RU QBs.

This…

People loved the Gleason hire, heck, I liked the hire. I thought Greg would actually give up some control. Seeing us run 95% of first and second downs later confirmed Gleason was just a face. RU’s problems lie with Greg schiano and our fans who refuse to hold him accountable.

All season long Greg made excuses during press conferences, there’s not another coach in CFB who makes as many excuses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT