ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

Great, clean hit by the Ranger, nice response, and earlier goal by Yegor, I love it! Hey Yegor, " Bleed all over him, and let him know you are there". 😆
That would be pretty close to not being a clean hit with your rule though because there was some leg-to-leg contact, just not awkward enough to cause an injury, as is normally the case.

Bad response imo. Goal scorers shouldn’t be fighting. Leave it up to a grinder
Also his starting a fight over a clean hit resulted in a powerplay goal to tie the game.

I wouldn’t want to be taking on Schneider as he probably has some pent up aggression from getting scratched every few games in favor of Braun while Nemeth can’t play bad enough to lose his spot.
Over matched certainly, but I like to see him do that, even though he is not a fighter. Hey, all he needs now is to talk to Zacha to up his "holding" game! 😆

Just announced, Hughes has a low-grade MCL sprain. He's done for the season but at least it's not an ACL injury and it's not torn.

Reactions: TM94goRU
That would be pretty close to not being a clean hit with your rule though because there was some leg-to-leg contact, just not awkward enough to cause an injury, as is normally the case.

Also his starting a fight over a clean hit resulted in a powerplay goal to tie the game

It was not the point of contact. What the Ranger did, was what I wish the NYI did.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Not as bad as it could have been, thankfully. However, soft tissue injuries can be a bitch!

We're going around in circles, but Wahlstrom was trying to do exactly the same thing.
We see it differently, let's just leave it here. I would like the NHL to institute what baseball did to protect catchers, the Buster Posey Rule. That way guys shy away from joint contact, the same way they pull up on a player with his head down.

Clearly spell out where you can make "direct" contact. I think it should be chest to upper thigh. Take the knee hits out, the same way they took the elbow out of the equation. It is too easy to hurt the joints!

That wallstrom hit , he led with his knee. Only made contact with his knee. Dirty

Unlike almost ALL of Subban's hit.
Thought the hit on Hughes could've gone either way, but I can't say dirty.
To me, the penalty comes when the defender is about to get beat and sticks the leg out laterally.

Having said all that, hope Hughes makes a quick and complete recovery.

Reactions: rurichdog
Over matched certainly, but I like to see him do that, even though he is not a fighter. Hey, all he needs now is to talk to Zacha to up his "holding" game! 😆
If I was a teammate I would be happy with Sharangovich there. Strategically it isn’t the best move regarding winning this one game, but it goes towards building a winning team in the long run.

Why the Whataboutism ?

I call it like I see it. As this season progressed, my opinion of Subban has changed. I never thought he was a dirty player, that is no longer the case.

So if we are to discuss PERCEIVED penalties; thought I'd mention some legit ones.

If I was a teammate I would be happy with Sharangovich there. Strategically it isn’t the best move regarding winning this one game, but it goes towards building a winning team in the long run.
The season is long over. I want the young team to learn you must stick up for each other.

Subban ‘s hits have nothing to do with wallstroms
Only in 2 wrongs don't make a right.
The NHL has long ago taken away the elbow as a weapon. I would like to see them extend that rule to the knees. Joints bust too easily. No matter intent, a joint be it knee or elbow should never be cocked and loaded. It is not pro wrestling. If the knee of the NYI is not bent and out, it never becomes the place where most of the contact is located. It is at least as hard to keep your elbow in when delivering a check. I think it is harder. Take knee hits out like elbow use, and curtail lower body injuries.

Another point of concern for Jack, the nerves around that area. I speak from personal experience, sometimes things do not heal right.

Only in 2 wrongs don't make a right.
The NHL has long ago taken away the elbow as a weapon. I would like to see them extend that rule to the knees. Joints bust too easily. No matter intent, a joint be it knee or elbow should never be cocked and loaded. It is not pro wrestling. If the knee of the NYI is not bent and out, it never becomes the place where most of the contact is located. It is at least as hard to keep your elbow in when delivering a check. I think it is harder. Take knee hits out like elbow use, and curtail lower body injuries.

Another point of concern for Jack, the nerves around that area. I speak from personal experience, sometimes things do not heal right.

The problem is, they still haven't adequately removed hits to the head. Some games you watch they call it, sometimes they don't.
And it only gets worse when the league reviews after the fact; inconsistent is as kind as it can be.

Agree with your premise, I just have no hope that the league could pull it off.

The problem is, they still haven't adequately removed hits to the head. Some games you watch they call it, sometimes they don't.
And it only gets worse when the league reviews after the fact; inconsistent is as kind as it can be.

Agree with your premise, I just have no hope that the league could pull it off.
Exactly, but they must, and should try. Or turn the clock back to the late 90's and bring back the enforcers! The NHL creates a lot of their own problems because they are consistently inconsistent.

Now that player's don't have to answer for what they do often, you see more hits from behind, stick fouls, and knee-on-knee hits or tripping. Before the last lost season, guys would protect opponents more, if only because a tough guy would look them up. The opponent's tough guy or their own, who had to fight the battle.

As Lindy just said, thank God Jack's injury is not much worse. It is very nice his leg was off the ice when he was contacted!

Exactly, but they must, and should try. Or turn the clock back to the late 90's and bring back the enforcers! The NHL creates a lot of their own problems because they are consistently inconsistent.

Now that player's don't have to answer for what they do often, you see more hits from behind, stick fouls, and knee-on-knee hits or tripping. Before the last lost season, guys would protect opponents more, if only because a tough guy would look them up. The opponent's tough guy or their own, who had to fight the battle.

I think return of the enforcers may be the best option; we'll, the most REALISTIC option. I think officiating has deteriorated over the last 20 years; I think they're terrible. (And in the way too often, but that's for another day, LOL.)

Too many players today, in my opinion, do not honor the "CODE". There was a time, if you did something, you answered for it on the ice. I believe NHL players are the best option to police themselves.

Take tonight. I respect Sharangovich looking out for his teammate, but his response hurt the team on a clean hit. If, Boquist got popped awkwardly on the boards, then, to me, it's all hands on deck for who gets to him first. Now, if it were me, I'd have been watching Schneider to make sure he didn't cross a line and kept his head up. Sort of: okay, you did that, but I'm putting you on a short leash.

There is on ice justice that I feel some players should meet. Marchand is a tremendous talent, does not need to play the way he does, but he takes liberties that definitely get cleaned up if an opposing player chooses to make him. For certain, the league looks the other way far too often for him. He is not the only one, but I've rambled long enough and I think you get my point.

I think return of the enforcers may be the best option; we'll, the most REALISTIC option. I think officiating has deteriorated over the last 20 years; I think they're terrible. (And in the way too often, but that's for another day, LOL.)

Too many players today, in my opinion, do not honor the "CODE". There was a time, if you did something, you answered for it on the ice. I believe NHL players are the best option to police themselves.

Take tonight. I respect Sharangovich looking out for his teammate, but his response hurt the team on a clean hit. If, Boquist got popped awkwardly on the boards, then, to me, it's all hands on deck for who gets to him first. Now, if it were me, I'd have been watching Schneider to make sure he didn't cross a line and kept his head up. Sort of: okay, you did that, but I'm putting you on a short leash.

There is on ice justice that I feel some players should meet. Marchand is a tremendous talent, does not need to play the way he does, but he takes liberties that definitely get cleaned up if an opposing player chooses to make him. For certain, the league looks the other way far too often for him. He is not the only one, but I've rambled long enough and I think you get my point.
Spot on. The only reason I give Yegor a pass, is for years the Devils have not responded to anything. Yes, discretion is the better part of valor, but I don't think he saw the whole thing.

The officiating has gotten worse. This is why I floated a hitting zone to be put in place. Take the judgement out of their hands. Just like the NFL did when they eliminated the "force out". Now if a receiver lands out of bounds, it does not matter if he would have been inbounds if he was not hit. If a hockey player is hit too high or too low, because the risk of injury goes up, it should be penalized. Now, the hit would have to have been the principal point of contact. No one should be penalized for a light touch on a follow through.

If you keep your elbows and knees in while hitting, very few will result in injury. Hip checks, shoulder hits, and poke checks should be the standard. The risks go way down then, unless the player falls in a very unfortunate manner.

😂
Cheer up! The more embarrassed the owners get, down the stretch, the more likely they do what has to be done to fix the problem! At least, that is my hope. Another game, we lose by a large margin, after scoring 4 goals.

Here comes the road games. If we don't beat Seattle, I think they might just end this horrendous year on a long losing streak.

Not good at all, but it should clarify where we stand, and where we are going with this ownership group. At least Utica is doing well.

Good win for the NYR, and it comes against their likely 1st round opponent, the Pens. Quite possibly a look at what is to come.

Dryden McKay, the undrafted Minnesota State goalie that krup suggested the Devils should try to sign, just won the Hobey Baker. Oddly enough though, he didn't win the Mike Richter award for best goalie. That went to Devon Levi, a 2020 7th round pick by the Panthers who is now unsigned Sabres property. See McKay in action tonight at 8 in the national championship game against Denver on ESPN2.

Last edited:
Levi and Yaniv Perets were much better than McKay this year. The Hobey is like the Heisman. The best player doesn’t always win.

Levi and Yaniv Perets were much better than McKay this year. The Hobey is like the Heisman. The best player doesn’t always win.
True, you still gotta be one of the best to be up for it though. Someone will give him a shot at the pros.

I saw the first round of the regional bracket in Allentown a few weeks back. I believe Perets had a GAA of below 1 at the time.

Side note, they're going to have regionals in Allentown again next year, definitely worth the trip. For like $30-50 you can get great seats for two games in the same day--although the first one is in the afternoon so if you work normal business hours it's kinda hard to get there for that. Got to see the star-laden Michigan team with Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Matty Beniers etc. outskill American International, and then Perets and Quinnipiac took out St. Cloud State. They allow re-entry between games, and just outside the arena there are some bars and places to eat, including the Fegley's brewery. A bunch of the Michigan guys were in the stands watching the Quinnipiac and St. Cloud State game since they were set to play the winner of that. They started heading to the concourse at the end of a period and this girl in front of me said she was going to "accidentally" bump into Luke Hughes on the concourse to start a conversation and try to get his snapchat. She never came back so I wonder if she was successful haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
True, you still gotta be one of the best to be up for it though. Someone will give him a shot at the pros.

I saw the first round of the regional bracket in Allentown a few weeks back. I believe Perets had a GAA of below 1 at the time.

Side note, they're going to have regionals in Allentown again next year, definitely worth the trip. For like $30-50 you can get great seats for two games in the same day--although the first one is in the afternoon so if you work normal business hours it's kinda hard to get there for that. Got to see the star-laden Michigan team with Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Matty Beniers etc. outskill American International, and then Perets and Quinnipiac took out St. Cloud State. They allow re-entry between games, and just outside the arena there are some bars and places to eat, including the Fegley's brewery. A bunch of the Michigan guys were in the stands watching the Quinnipiac and St. Cloud State game since they were set to play the winner of that. They started heading to the concourse at the end of a period and this girl in front of me said she was going to "accidentally" bump into Luke Hughes on the concourse to start a conversation and try to get his snapchat. She never came back so I wonder if she was successful haha.
We went to the NCAA Regional in 2019 to see Quinnipiac, Arizona St, Minnesota-Duluth and Bowling Green. QU beat ASU and MDU beat Bowling Green. MDU went on to win the Natty. I had not been in Allentown since the 80's. Much different than the last time I was there. 😀 They have done a nice job with the area around the arena. I joked to my wife that I always take her to the best places. College football used to be my favorite sport, but it's now college hockey. Would be cool if Rutgers joined the B1G.

We went to the NCAA Regional in 2019 to see Quinnipiac, Arizona St, Minnesota-Duluth and Bowling Green. QU beat ASU and MDU beat Bowling Green. MDU went on to win the Natty. I had not been in Allentown since the 80's. Much different than the last time I was there. 😀 They have done a nice job with the area around the arena. I joked to my wife that I always take her to the best places. College football used to be my favorite sport, but it's now college hockey. Would be cool if Rutgers joined the B1G.
Ah I was at that regional too. If you happened to see a guy in a white Rutgers hockey jersey, that was me. I managed to get it on the jumboscreen for a couple seconds this time.

Reactions: Section124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT