ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

How was a team with just 2 hitters and a middle of the road closer be the 1st MLB team to 50 wins this season? I would take 7 of 9 everyday Mets players over Yankee players as most, even some Yankees fans would. Mets need way less than the Yankees do at the deadline.
Hard to argue that point. They were 50-22 on June 15th and have won 10 of 31 games since. As much as NYY fans have lamented their lineup construction in past years, somehow it's worse this season. 2 all-world players and then nothing.

Trevino vs. Alvarez: NYM
Rizzo vs. Alonso: NYM
Torres vs. Iglesias: NYM
Volpe vs. Lindor: NYM
LeMahieu vs. Vientos: NYM
Verdugo vs. McNeil/Nimmo: NYM
Judge vs. Bader/Nimmo: NYY
Soto vs. Marte/McNeil: NYY

I'm not even sure there's much of a gap between the starting rotations this year.

Senga: DNP
Severino: 3.58 ERA
Quintana: 4.02 ERA
Manaea: 3.73 ERA
Peterson: 3.14 ERA

Cole: 4.60 ERA
Cortes: 3.99 ERA
Rodon: 4.42 ERA
Stroman: 3.41 ERA
Gil: 3.10 ERA

The Mets just legitimately need 3-4 bullpen arms at the deadline.

• Love
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Hard to argue that point. They were 50-22 on June 15th and have won 10 of 31 games since. As much as NYY fans have lamented their lineup construction in past years, somehow it's worse this season. 2 all-world players and then nothing.

Trevino vs. Alvarez: NYM
Rizzo vs. Alonso: NYM
Torres vs. Iglesias: NYM
Volpe vs. Lindor: NYM
LeMahieu vs. Vientos: NYM
Verdugo vs. McNeil/Nimmo: NYM
Judge vs. Bader/Nimmo: NYY
Soto vs. Marte/McNeil: NYY

I'm not even sure there's much of a gap between the starting rotations this year.

Senga: DNP
Severino: 3.58 ERA
Quintana: 4.02 ERA
Manaea: 3.73 ERA
Peterson: 3.14 ERA

Cole: 4.60 ERA
Cortes: 3.99 ERA
Rodon: 4.42 ERA
Stroman: 3.41 ERA
Gil: 3.10 ERA

The Mets just legitimately need 3-4 bullpen arms at the deadline.
3-4 bullpen arms? That is a lot, considering they already added one in Maton. Plus with a six man rotation, you only have room for seven in the pen.

3-4 bullpen arms? That is a lot, considering they already added one in Maton. Plus with a six man rotation, you only have room for seven in the pen.
As many as they can get. We'll see if they go 6-man. The bullpen, in its current state, will be their undoing.

Drew Smith - out for season
Brooks Raley - out for season
Shintaro Fujinami - out for season
Jose Butto - trust in long relief
Adrian Houser - trust in long relief
Adam Ottavino - awful
Danny Young - I dont trust him
Jake Diekman - I don't trust him
Phil Maton - just ok so far
Reid Garrett - wildly up and down
Sean Reid Foley - looked good in small sample size, but who knows
Dediel Nunez - mostly trust
Edwin Diaz - mostly trust, but rarely easy

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
As many as they can get. We'll see if they go 6-man. The bullpen, in its current state, will be their undoing.

Drew Smith - out for season
Brooks Raley - out for season
Shintaro Fujinami - out for season
Jose Butto - trust in long relief
Adrian Houser - trust in long relief
Adam Ottavino - awful
Danny Young - I dont trust him
Jake Diekman - I don't trust him
Phil Maton - just ok so far
Reid Garrett - wildly up and down
Sean Reid Foley - looked good in small sample size, but who knows
Dediel Nunez - mostly trust
Edwin Diaz - mostly trust, but rarely easy
Fujinami is not out for the season. He is rehabbing in Syracuse and has done well. I would not be surprised if we see him soon.

Butto is more than a long reliever. He has evolved to a key setup man.

Maton has been better than just OK. Five innings, one run, two hits, one walk, seven strikeouts. Admittedly small sample.

There is also Alex Young who made his Mets debut yesterday. An under-the-radar waiver acquisition who had over 60 MLB appearances last year with the Reds.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
7/21/1975 Joe Torre sets a National League record by grounding into four double plays in one game.

Torre later tells reporters that he “couldn’t have set a record without” Félix Millán who singled before Torre all four times.

452483180_1237095380957426_6035168712756299347_n.jpg

Fujinami is not out for the season. He is rehabbing in Syracuse and has done well. I would not be surprised if we see him soon.

Butto is more than a long reliever. He has evolved to a key setup man.

Maton has been better than just OK. Five innings, one run, two hits, one walk, seven strikeouts. Admittedly small sample.

There is also Alex Young who made his Mets debut yesterday. An under-the-radar waiver acquisition who had over 60 MLB appearances last year with the Reds.
I was unfair to Maton - he's been solid. And I do like Butto - pitched well as a starter early on and hope he gets more opportunities.

Twins
Manuel Margot
0-25 as a pinch hitter

How do you get to be 0-25 as a pinch hitter ??
Don’t you stop at 0-20 ???
Playing Law of averages ??

when do Mets play twins. This turd killed us as a padre/ray

I want to apologize now in advance , just looked Mets play twins after huge Braves series this weekend

Twins
Manuel Margot
0-25 as a pinch hitter

How do you get to be 0-25 as a pinch hitter ??
Don’t you stop at 0-20 ???
Playing Law of averages ??

when do Mets play twins. This turd killed us as a padre/ray

I want to apologize now in advance , just looked Mets play twins after huge Braves series this weekend
And after that, the Mets go on a road trip from hell.

Fly west, cross country for a three game weekend series in Anaheim.

THEN, fly back east, halfway across the country for a makeup game in St.Louis, on what had been a scheduled off day.

THEN, fly back west for a three game series in Colorado.

THEN, fly further west for a three game series in Seattle.

Then fly home. Ten games, ten days, four cities, three time zones.

Alvarez down to 8th
He could make this lineup really tough if he can get out of this funk and power loss asap

Last edited:
Nimmo is 2-26 and has swung as the ball was in catchers mitt at least 5 times over the last few games

No panic just a cute phrase to help one of the Mets better players find his groove again

Reactions: Knight Shift
Idiot was harsh, but up 3 runs can't walk people. 2nd time this year comes out with only one out to get a win.

Lindor became the best shortstop in NYC history last year,surpassing HOF'er,Travis Jackson.
Of course,a lot of that career was with the Indians so he has a way to go.

With the Braves' rainout tonight,I'm going to see a great game tomorrow night,Sale vs Severino.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT