ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Amazing where this team has climbed in the past couple of months. And that is with missing our most consistent hitter early (Marte) and Pete still running cold.

Mets DFA Josh Walker. This makes room for Stanek on the 40 man. However, they must make room on the active roster for both Stanek and Megill today. My guess is that they will option Orze and one of the Young's, probably Danny. Unless they put Senga back on IL.

Mets DFA Josh Walker. This makes room for Stanek on the 40 man. However, they must make room on the active roster for both Stanek and Megill today. My guess is that they will option Orze and one of the Young's, probably Danny. Unless they put Senga back on IL.
A follow up point. You may ask why not drop Gamel, who never plays, and add a 14th pitcher. The rules do not allow it. A team may not have more than half its roster comprised of pitchers. I guess to speed up the game - if you cut down on pitchers, you cut down on pitching changes.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Justin Verlander is due to throw another bullpen session today. There is some speculation that he may then move right into the rotation, with no rehab assignment. I consider that unlikely. But even if he does, the most he will get is 11 starts. He needs 83 innings for his 2025 guarantee to kick in. That's 7 2/3 innings per start. Not happening.

If Uncle Steve is keeping a Justin Verlander piggy bank, he can move those coins into his 2025 free agency fund, which is hopefully much larger.

5000 Ks in his one start for extra salt

salt salting GIF

Megill just falls apart so fast
Looks great for 2-3 innings then gets hammered

He can’t be in the rotation

Lots went wrong today
Can’t win them all

But enough is enough with Stewart

Splits​

DurationABRHHRRBIBBSOSBAVGOBPSLG
Last 7 Games132300460.231.412.231
Last 15 Games3525007120.143.286.143
Last 30 Games67581312240.119.253.164
Duration
Last 7 Games
Last 15 Games
Last 30 Games

As bad as we've looked at the plate all season. If Marte isn't expected before the end of August we need to consider an outfield bat too. Won't feel completely disappointed if they bounce back and win tomorrow. But to wind up with a split after taking the 1st two would be a big letdown.

Mets need a starter / outfielder and another reliever.

Senga injury is brutal / Marte is always hurt / dj stewart is atrocious and our bullpen needs all the help it can get.

Tough ask to do without giving up top prospects. Hopefully Cohen money can take on straight salary dumps.

Bader injury not being talked about. He’s missed. .

Mets need a starter / outfielder and another reliever.

Senga injury is brutal / Marte is always hurt / dj stewart is atrocious and our bullpen needs all the help it can get.

Tough ask to do without giving up top prospects. Hopefully Cohen money can take on straight salary dumps.

Bader injury not being talked about. He’s missed. .
IMO the Mets have the starter they need. His name is Jose Butto. Move him back into the rotation, and get another bullpen arm if need be, as they are easier to find than starters, and the price tag won't be as high.

There is a reason why the baseball marketplace values starters more than relievers. Starters pitch twice as many innings as relievers. Starters are simply more important.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
IMO the Mets have the starter they need. His name is Jose Butto. Move him back into the rotation, and get another bullpen arm if need be, as they are easier to find than starters, and the price tag won't be as high.

There is a reason why the baseball marketplace values starters more than relievers. Starters pitch twice as many innings as relievers. Starters are simply more important.
It’s a good point. Don’t know if Mets will do it however given how well Butto has pitched in the bullpen.

I would presume if a starter can’t be acquired then Butto to rotation will have to be strongly considered

Winker should have an interesting introductory press conference and initial appearance as a Met OF.
I think it will be fine. I think Met fans relationship with Winker has been good natured, like that of Chipper Jones, as opposed to say Chase Utley.

Winker = end of Stewart
Could be end of Gamel. But in any event, Stewart's playing time will be cut way down.

Iglesias' playing time will be cut as well, as McNeil goes back to being a full time 2B. We are already starting to see the inevitable reversion to the mean with Iglesias.

Lindor
Nimmo
JD
Pete
Winker
Vientos
McNeil
Alvarez

9th …Bader Iglesias now depend on where you’re playing McNeil

Marte return ……

Nimmo back in center ?
Winker Nimmo marte

I think it will be fine. I think Met fans relationship with Winker has been good natured, like that of Chipper Jones, as opposed to say Chase Utley.
Yes that's correct. Still will have to rehash a set of questions about the past dynamic with the Citi Field fans in the outfield. But he's on record that he actually love the Mets fansso all should be well.

Simple

Put out a fun tweet , those with cell phone photos of Winker those few nights send in to Mets social media team. Set up a meet and greet photo op with all getting a winker T-shirt jersey

Really good pickup for the team- so far, 2 RP and a solid OF. If we can find a solid starter- then we would be in really good shape

Mets have activated Winker to the roster, wearing Nido's old #3. Stewart optioned to Syracuse. Need to make one more move to free up a spot on the 40 man, where there are several DFA-able candidates.

I don't know if Winker is available today. Nats are in St. Louis, so it's not a short hop. Gamel is in the lineup, which suggests Winker is not there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT