ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Yankees Season Thread

Where the argument was real was Mickey pre-ACL.
There is no way to argue how great MM was but when you go back and look at Mays and consider he played in the worst hitters park ever...
Out of the 3 that got compared back then- Mays, Mantle, Duke
And that isn't even a negative on any of the 3. Imagine the cash each would make now?

And I can't believe people were comparing Trout to any of them...

Reactions: RUfinally2008
There is no way to argue how great MM was but when you go back and look at Mays and consider he played in the worst hitters park ever...
Out of the 3 that got compared back then- Mays, Mantle, Duke
And that isn't even a negative on any of the 3. Imagine the cash each would make now?

And I can't believe people were comparing Trout to any of them...
Typical Mets fan putting down a Yankees player. And you just want to talk baseball 🙄

Mickey pre-ACL could hit a ball farther than anyone, cover as much ground in centerfield as anyone, and drag a bunt up the first baseline for a hit.
And was a devastating right hand hitter, my dad said “he would kill 3rd basemen”
Secretly in important situations, his teammates loved Mick at the plate right handed.
Also, before the booze took him when he got older, he was by far the most fun Yankee and nicest player in the clubhouse.
He was a master prankster and practical joker.

Last edited:
And was a devastating right hand hitter, my dad said “he would kill 3rd basemen”
Secretly in important situations, his teammates loved Mick at the plate right handed.
Also, before the booze took him when he got older, he was by far the most fun Yankee and nicest player in the clubhouse.
My favorite was the one with Phil Linz and the harmonica.

Reactions: batts
So many what ifs- the guy had a legendary career- and between women, injury and booze- still had a legendary career.

BTW Zap- often wondered what sane man would ever play 3B in the Majors anyway.

I was a 12 y/o hotshot SS in Little League and had Stargell hit a BP line drive right at me between 1B and tge outfield as I was trying to get a Duffy Dyer autograph- that ball took my glove 15 rows past me. lol

So many what ifs- the guy had a legendary career- and between women, injury and booze- still had a legendary career.

BTW Zap- often wondered what sane man would ever play 3B in the Majors anyway.

I was a 12 y/o hotshot SS in Little League and had Stargell hit a BP line drive right at me between 1B and tge outfield as I was trying to get a Duffy Dyer autograph- that ball took my glove 15 rows past me. lol
I think I told you, no fungo ground balls and everyone off the infield when Winfield was taking BP… he hit the ball so hard it would rip right through the webbing of your glove.
Dave Parker always said, the scariest thing he did in baseball was taking a lead off 1st base with pops hitting.

No matter where you played in high school, college or men’s amateur leagues.
You have no conception how hard ML players hit the ball or the strength of their arms… it’s inconceivable.

I think I told you, no fungo ground balls and everyone off the infield when Winfield was taking BP… he hit the ball so hard it would rip right through the webbing of your glove.
Dave Parker always said, the scariest thing he did in baseball was taking a lead off 1st base with pops hitting.

You have no conception how hard ML players hit the ball or the strength of their arms… it’s inconceivable.
Hell, I’m a couple years younger than you and not sure I would even want to have a catch with you. lol

Last edited:
Love this series…don’t have a rooting interest in either team, but feels like playoffs in June

I guess tonight settled who is being dropped from the rotation once Cole returns.
Only one of the Yankees infielders is doing anything with the bat.
Soto needs to be in the lineup.
Torres, Rizzo, LeMahieu, Stanton...not so much.

I guess tonight settled who is being dropped from the rotation once Cole returns.
Only one of the Yankees infielders is doing anything with the bat.
Soto needs to be in the lineup.
Torres, Rizzo, LeMahieu, Stanton...not so much.
Agree.

LeMahieu is washed up, Rizzo I wouldn't resign, trade Gleybey to Marlins, Stanton ...

And why isn't Santana DFA?

I'm thinking they'll freshen up the infield for a playoff run via trade. Probably a 1B that can platoon around the infield if needed. Rizzo, Gleyber are definitely gone next season. DJ we're stuck with for a few more seasons unfortunately.

Mickey pre-ACL could hit a ball farther than anyone, cover as much ground in centerfield as anyone, and drag a bunt up the first baseline for a hit.

Just for perspective, Mantle tore his ACL in the WS of his rookie season in 1951. It was never reconstructed and he played on it his entire career.

I spoke to a relief pitcher who played for Seton Hall who was forced to pitch to Mo Vaughn in indoor practices. He said that was the scariest times in his life. The pitcher was no slouch as he had one of the best eras in college baseball at the time.

Stanton’s HR tonight was a massive bomb. Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone hit it there in KC.

The Yanks keep rolling.
BTW, Judge's and Stanton's home runs came after theYankees were already up 7-0.

Looks like Holmes blew the save today giving up 2 runs in the 9th to lose 4-3. Obviously the Yanks are rolling, but to be a contender for it all, we’re going to have to do something about the back end of the bullpen. As many others have mentioned, Holmes has been relying on good fortune and the numbers will likely revert to the mean.

Looks like Holmes blew the save today giving up 2 runs in the 9th to lose 4-3. Obviously the Yanks are rolling, but to be a contender for it all, we’re going to have to do something about the back end of the bullpen. As many others have mentioned, Holmes has been relying on good fortune and the numbers will likely revert to the mean.
Closers need to have the ability to strike guys out with runners on base.

Too often, that's not Holmes. He's a prototypical 8th inning guy.

Even the best teams lose at least 50 games during a season.
Holmes has had several bumps in the road. But he's the closer.
If he had not screwed up on that slow roller up the first base line in the 9th or gotten a call on several pitches that were called balls instead of strikes the Yanks would have won the damn game.
Or maybe if the Yanks had done a little better on offense...particularly #99...who was 0-4 with four strikeouts.
Three out of four ain't bad.
On to Boston.

Gil is extraordinary, although falling behind too many hitters tonight led to an early exit.
Verdugo needs to be resigned.
Oh...and Boston sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT