ADVERTISEMENT

OT: #5 Illinois vs #2 Baylor

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Baylor up 31-30 at the half.

The one that got away in this year's class was Coleman Hawkins for me. He got in late and had a nice block. Hope he's not as good as I thought he could be

Interesting game. Georgi did a great job keeping Illinois in this game with Cockburn on the bench. Baylor’s D is absolutely suffocating.

Reactions: Scangg
Thx for the reminder.. hows Illinois been looking? Someone told me they were lucky to beat Ohio.. as in got help from the refs.. but that Ohio is a legit MAC contender.. favorite.

Thx for the reminder.. hows Illinois been looking? Someone told me they were lucky to beat Ohio.. as in got help from the refs.. but that Ohio is a legit MAC contender.. favorite.
Pretty much a hard nosed defensive game with Georgi keeping them in the game. Kofi and dosunmu invisible

Illinois will be extremely difficult
Looking at how we match up... Young on Frazier, Mathis on Dosunmu, Cliff/Myles on Kofi seems like we match up decently well. If they go Georgi at 5 I like Cliff's ability there as well

Last edited:
Some people think Dosunmu and Cockburn are both in the Top 10 players in the country. Illinois is playing tough with hardly getting anything from those 2 guys. Miller and Hawkins look like two really good freshmen.

I see Illinois on offense lately here and don't really see many positives... but they are hanging with number 2.. and that's scary in its own right.

And just saw an ad for OSU vs MSU in football this Saturday... I thought OSU was CoVid no-play zone. Guess they pulled some magic to make that 6 game thing.

I see Illinois on offense lately here and don't really see many positives... but they are hanging with number 2.. and that's scary in its own right.

And just saw an ad for OSU vs MSU in football this Saturday... I thought OSU was CoVid no-play zone. Guess they pulled some magic to make that 6 game thing.
2 banked 3's this half keeping them in it

Baylor is totally out hustling Illinois and appears to be much quicker. Dosomnu not playing well and Cockburn is having a terrible game.

Alright.. Baylor looks tough.. on the other hand.. the Illinis look beatable.. did we back out of a game vs Baylor... THIS game perhaps?

Baylor just won this game from 15:00-8:00 in second half. And I’ll say it again....it’s ALL spurred by their defense.
I was watching the clock too.. when they called that timeout after 5 minutes.. it was clear Illinois won, barely, the first 5. So no doubt Baylor coach said next 5 is ours...

hmmm.. not sure how Baylor did not foul the guy who went baseline.. mugged him.. no call on that becomes foul on Illinois on the board

Baylor is really fast, especially on the perimeter. Ayo is used to blowing right by guys, but he couldn't do that to Baylor. I think Illinois made a mistake trying to keep up with them. Should have slowed the game down.

Wasn't RU supposed to be playing Baylor in that tournament? Did Illinois replace us?

Baylor up 31-30 at the half.

The one that got away in this year's class was Coleman Hawkins for me. He got in late and had a nice block. Hope he's not as good as I thought he could be

Lots of potential in this kid. I was also disappointed we didn’t get him.

Interesting observation about Illinois that I saw on the Indiana board: they are not a big team.

Starters vs. Baylor:

Cockburn 7' 0"
Dosunmu 6' 5'".
Frazier 6' 2"
Williams 6' 3"
Miller 6' 3"

Giorgi is 6' 9".
Curbelo 6' 1"

Nobody else played more than 5 minutes (Hawkins, 6' 10"). Grandison (6' 6") played one minute.

So their starting defense would have Cockburn on either Cliff or Myles, then Dosunmu on Harper? Anyone else would be overmatched in the paint and Ayo is giving up 40 lbs to Ron. Interesting.

On the flip side, who does Harper guard on D? I expect Mathis would start on Ayo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT