ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone going to the PGA Championship @ Baltusrol this week?

red sail

All Conference
Oct 11, 2007
Are any of you golfers going to brave the heat and make it out to Baltusrol this week? My kid is excited to get Spieth, Rory, Jason Day, DJ & Bubba Watson's autographs.

I'm going to final round on Sunday. Have not made a final decision if I am going to check out a practice round.

Last time i was at the PGA Championship John Daly was a big draw in the 1990s, it was as hot as is now, my brother and I had a few beers and took a nap for about an hour under a tree on the back nine. Woke up in time to see Daly reach the green in 2 on the very long par 5.

Going to be at round 1 on Thursday, haven't seen a round in-person yet so looking forward to it (also am selling a spare ticket for a friend who can't make it if anyone is interested)

I was at the US Open in 1993 when it was at Baltusrol. I remember John Daly reaching the 17th green in 2 on a long par 5. Lee Jansen was the champion that year. That was the first Pro golf tournament I had ever attended. I got invited by a golf buddy and I've been hooked ever since. I only wish I started playing the game before college.

You guys should bring Rutgers towels to wipe the sweat off that will be pouring off your head, face, arms , fingers and legs lol. Have fun, I'm going to try to make it on Saturday.

I'm supposed to go Friday but my daughter is moving into her apartment on Mine Street Friday (no more dorms) so I probably won't make it.

Too hot for me, only TV. Have been to 1984 Open Winged Foot, 2 rounds with Corp Tent privileges. Really the way to go. Senior Open at Ridgewood CC, nice old course. Played in the 1998 Mercedes Pro-Am at La Costa. Every golfer should have that opportunity and you only had to be a 22 hdcp or lower. Neat 3 days of golfing on 2 courses and mingling with the pros. Came in 3rd as a team, lost on a match of cards with Nick Faldo for 2nd.

My buddies and I will be at the practice round on Wednesday. Seems like the weather will be the most comfortable of the 4 days.

I'm working there all week also. It was a hot one there today. My kid got Spieth's autograph and he was very cool to the kids. Ricky Fowler not so much. He said he needs to focus and signed no autographs. And all these little kids were dressed up in Puma all orange or all green like Fowler. My son says "Fowler is a weenie"
It is amazing seeing these guys drive the ball. Rory and Bubba Watson just kill the ball.

I expect to be there on Sunday. I attended the '93 US Open final day and Friday and Saturday of the last time the PGA was held there. The club does an excellent job of hosting. The last 2 times I had passes from the catering company that were basically al access and got me in the hospitality areas. This year I will be with the unwashed masses. I expect to take the bus from the Summit Train Station, very convenient.
I noted that the rule about bringing cell phones in has changed. Last time they were strictly prohibited. Now you can bring one in but can't use it anywhere near the course.

I live literally down the street from Baltusrol. It's going to be madness over here. Honestly it can't come and go soon enough lol. Maybe I'll catch Phil at Joe's pizza (summit) picking up like 10 pies which is what he usually does. Apparently he's obsessed with Joe's.

I live literally down the street from Baltusrol. It's going to be madness over here. Honestly it can't come and go soon enough lol. Maybe I'll catch Phil at Joe's pizza (summit) picking up like 10 pies which is what he usually does. Apparently he's obsessed with Joe's.

Where are they going to put the cars? Last time I was there ('80) the quarry up the road was rented to the USGA for the week. Great place to park except all cars had a shade of grey covering them at the end of the day lol.

download

I was at the US Open in 1993 when it was at Baltusrol. I remember John Daly reaching the 17th green in 2 on a long par 5. Lee Jansen was the champion that year. That was the first Pro golf tournament I had ever attended. I got invited by a golf buddy and I've been hooked ever since. I only wish I started playing the game before college.
So was I. Fraternity brother was was the assistant at Echo Lake then and got my Dad and me (almost) all access passes.

And yes, John Daly's drives were fun to watch. First pro tournament me for me too.

I expect to be there on Sunday. I attended the '93 US Open final day and Friday and Saturday of the last time the PGA was held there. The club does an excellent job of hosting. The last 2 times I had passes from the catering company that were basically al access and got me in the hospitality areas. This year I will be with the unwashed masses. I expect to take the bus from the Summit Train Station, very convenient.
I noted that the rule about bringing cell phones in has changed. Last time they were strictly prohibited. Now you can bring one in but can't use it anywhere near the course.
Agree.

Where are they going to put the cars? Last time I was there ('80) the quarry up the road was rented to the USGA for the week. Great place to park except all cars had a shade of grey covering them at the end of the day lol.
In '93 I parked on a green (Lower Course?). Still to this day it amazes me they let us.

Last edited:
I believe Phil, Rory, and Day are playing together Thu and Fri. Now that's a group I'd love to follow.

830 AM on the 10th tee on Thursday. Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott and Jamie Donaldson are the group in front of them off 10.

I believe that TNT coverage starts at 1PM on Thursday and Friday. Not sure what Golf Channel is offering.

830 AM on the 10th tee on Thursday. Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott and Jamie Donaldson are the group in front of them off 10.

I believe that TNT coverage starts at 1PM on Thursday and Friday. Not sure what Golf Channel is offering.

Doesn't appear they have hole by hole coverage. They list "Live From" during the morning so perhaps cut ins?

I saw Adam Scott tee off on 1 about 6:50am ... no fiancee (blonde in the background) yet at that time. she must have joined him later. would not bang ... knees too bony. lol
I didn't even realize she had knees....

Has the PGA championship ever come only 2 weeks after the British Open before ? I'm guessing because of the Rio Olympics. Watching pro golfers at the Olympics sitl seems a bit weird to me.

Has the PGA championship ever come only 2 weeks after the British Open before ? I'm guessing because of the Rio Olympics. Watching pro golfers at the Olympics sitl seems a bit weird to me.
Not since the 1960's. However, in 1953 they were within a few days of each other and that fact prevented Hogan from winning the grand slam. He played in his only British Open and won it. He missed the PGA. Hogan won US Open and Masters that year too.

Reactions: Abro1975
Any nuggets on parking other than the park in Clark?

If you own a Mercedes, they are a sponsor and have a lot for Mercedes car owners at union county college.... first come first served because of limited space. Then its only a 5-10 min shuttle ride over. The general public parking in Clark is free and about 25-30 min shuttle. You can pay big bucks to park in front of someone's house right by the golf course and then just walk over. Kind of like parking at scarlet/green/yellow/white/blue lots at RU vs parking at the RAC. Big Premium.

Reactions: B0ski
Define "big bucks"

If you own a Mercedes, they are a sponsor and have a lot for Mercedes car owners at union county college.... first come first served because of limited space. Then its only a 5-10 min shuttle ride over. The general public parking in Clark is free and about 25-30 min shuttle. You can pay big bucks to park in front of someone's house right by the golf course and then just walk over. Kind of like parking at scarlet/green/yellow/white/blue lots at RU vs parking at the RAC. Big Premium.

I'm going on Thursday and Friday. Wear Red to the course.

I'm going to try and watch a bit at the "Famous 4th" and I'll spend some time on the 17th in the Chase Sapphire Club since there will be free food and water for Chase Sapphire Card Holders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT