ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
I was looking something up and stumbled on this record.
What pitcher holds the record for most home runs in a season?
Also who hold record for most hr in a career (NL) and who holds AL record?

I know Don Newcombe with Brooklyn hit 7 one year[154 game schedule].

I remember this but have no idea who would hold the NL record - but both season and career belong to Wes Ferrell

Bert "Be Home" Blyleven?
he is in the top 10- coming in at 9. But he does have the single season record

Not going to give an answer as I looked it up but interesting that 6 of the top 10 giving up career HR's, are in the HOF

And it just came to me... I believe the most was Jamie Moyer.

he is in the top 10- coming in at 9. But he does have the single season record

Not going to give an answer as I looked it up but interesting that 6 of the top 10 giving up career HR's, are in the HOF
According to stat I came across it is Byleven for single season with 50.

And it just came to me... I believe the most was Jamie Moyer.
Moyer is correct - he wasn’t listed in what I saw, I guess he gave some up in both AL and NL? Site I saw listed NL and AL leaders. So it didnt show Moyer.

Longevity makes sense for this category. You have to be good, not dominant, to pitch enough innings to give up a lot of home runs without being sent to the bullpen or the minors.

Longevity makes sense for this category. You have to be good, not dominant, to pitch enough innings to give up a lot of home runs without being sent to the bullpen or the minors.
Both NL and AL records are guys who had careers lasting at least 20 years

Hint both players pitched (briefly) for NY teams. The bulk of their careers were elsewhere

Interesting - I just looked at another site - Robin Robert’s shows up as #2 with some in each league, most in NL of course. Suspect he may be actual NL leader, but didn’t yet try to figure how many were in NL. The two guys on the original site I looked at are only 6 and 8, but all in on league.

One of top 10 total Definitely pitched for Angels, have to check if he was a lefty.
But not all of his career was AL.
Top 10 ML (both leagues) are
Moyer - 522
Roberts - 505
Jenkins - 484
Niekro -483
Sutton - 472
AL leader 448
Colon 439
NL leader 434
Blyleven 430
Wakefield -418

Just looked up Robert’s records - 87 of his 505 came when he was with Orioles. So he only had 418 in NL, if I can still handle basic subtraction.

Vividly remember one home run given up by NL leader. Back when I was rabid Met fan I would stay up to listen to west coast night games on the radio, he lost 1-0 to Dodgers on HR hit by opposing pitcher Don Drysdale. After brief stint with Mets, pitched briefly for Giants, but almost all his career was with another NL team.

Final hint:
By process of elimination, NY team was Mets so he didn’t pitch for either Brooklyn Dodgers or NY Giants. Also very doubtful Phil’s would have two guys on list, that eliminates 3 of the 8 NL teams that he could have pitched for in the 50’s.
That leaves - in alpha order: Braves, Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates and Reds.
Answer coming at 8 if no one gets it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT