ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Season beach tags

I can’t remember the last time i actually was asked to pay or show a beach tag on the jersey shore.

Always give the attendant at Asbury Park a nod and just walk on. No one ever says anything.

Reactions: newell138
If you're not paying for a badge in those states, you are paying in other ways.
In NJ you’re paying for access to coastal waters AND paying in other ways.

I once got a meter parking ticket at a Monmouth county beach on a freezing Sunday in February with no one around.

I’ve lived in Jersey most of life but the NJ Shore is a racket. Rather drive to Robert Moses beach in Long Island pay tolls and pay a reasonable flat parking fee with as many people as I like in car or drive/flight to any beach south of Wildwood then deal with some of the stuff you got going on at the Monmouth and Ocean County beaches.

GO RU

NJ actually has some of the cleanest beaches in the US, due to all coastal municipalities hashing activated sludge wastewater treatment plants ensuring very low bacterial counts. NJ also has way better beach towns than those states. Beach fees don't bother me at all as it's money well spent to maintain the most crowded beaches in the US.
If you don’t mind high levels of fecal bacteria.

Always crack up when one beach is closed but the beach next to it is deemed safe. lol.

GO RU

Reactions: BigLou

I once got a meter parking ticket at a Monmouth county beach on a freezing Sunday in February with no one around.

I’ve lived in Jersey most of life but the NJ Shore is a racket. Rather drive to Robert Moses beach in Long Island pay tolls and pay a reasonable flat parking fee with as many people as I like in car or drive/flight to any beach south of Wildwood then deal with some of the stuff you got going on at the Monmouth and Ocean County beaches.

GO RU
I don’t know any beach town that has meters in the winter

Then who pays for the daily cleaning and maintaining the beach, lifeguards, and other expenses?

Should that responsibility fall on everyone or as it is now, only those who visit the beaches?
All of this is because of how nj operates. No need to charge for beach access, it's about coffers

All of this is because of how nj operates. No need to charge for beach access, it's about coffers
You didn't answer. Explain why there's "no need".

Other states either spread it over all others or use charges to tourists thru taxes on hotels, restaurants, and other entites that profit from the trade. While expensive, NJ is the fair way.

I don’t know any beach town that has meters in the winter
Well there are. Went to cousin’s wedding like 5-6 yrs ago. If I didn’t swear to forget name of town and never to return again I’d give you the name of the venue and town.

GO RU

Some of the prices these towns charge are insane. A few over $100, but most seem pretty reasonable in the $20-$30 range. I recall Belmar back in the 80's was around $30 they have gone up to $80. Looking back $30 in the 80's was pretty high.
Island Beach State Park continues to be the best bargain and IMO nicest beach in NJ

@knightfan7 $95 in Manasquan!

Senior pass at Belmar $30

Well there are. Went to cousin’s wedding like 5-6 yrs ago. If I didn’t swear to forget name of town and never to return again I’d give you the name of the venue and town.

GO RU
Only beach town that has meters in Monmouth county in winter is Asbury Park. And I can’t believe you would forget that name.

GO RU
So are you saying no other towns in NJ, not anywhere near the beach, have metered parking?

Asbury Park does have it year round.

But unlike some other spots it’s open all year round. Meaning there is stuff to do (clubs, restaurants, etc.).

Reactions: knightfan7
Beaches would be great, if they could just do something about all that yucky sand.

I don’t think you actually read what I wrote. I pay $70 for my season pass, park for free three blocks away. I go every day on the weekends, and on my day off during the week. That doesn’t add up to the couple thousand dollars I would spend to go to the Caribbean for a week.
It's not about the money for me. I don't mind paying at the jersey shore but you guys need to stop convincing yourselves you're not getting charged for nonsense. I just like that my beach in NJ is expensive. Keeps the riff raff away.

GO RU
What an insane take. You’re paying way more in gas and tolls not to mention a much further trip. And what “stuff” are you referring to? I go to Belmar a lot in the summer and the beach is crowded sometimes but it’s very relaxed.

Summer in FL (May thru Sept at least) is unrelentingly hot and humid with 99% of the population shivering indoors in their air conditioning and only doing any outdoor activities before 9 am when it's slightly tolerable. In NJ we have comparably hot and humid days maybe 10-15% of the time during that stretch. I simply can't understand how anyone lives there during that time. Also the Gulf is a glorified lake and NJ beach towns are way more interesting than FL beach towns.
Sorry you are just wrong here. Exploring the 10,000 Islands and fishing and boating are far more peaceful and fulfilling than being in NJ. I spent too many summers at the Jersey Shore buddy.

But to each their own. Heat is heat. I love the summer on Marco. High temp around 89 and an ocean breeze. The beach is enjoyable. Now, I won’t go biking to Publix at 1pm but the water is great. Wake up early and have a full day. It’s doing the opposite of the crowds. And making money in the process. Renting out the FL house in the winter is simple. Good, older people, all Big Ten country folks. Funny how the area is Big Ten Country and has been for a long time.

Sorry you are just wrong here. Exploring the 10,000 Islands and fishing and boating are far more peaceful and fulfilling than being in NJ. I spent too many summers at the Jersey Shore buddy.

But to each their own. Heat is heat. I love the summer on Marco. High temp around 89 and an ocean breeze. The beach is enjoyable. Now, I won’t go biking to Publix at 1pm but the water is great. Wake up early and have a full day. It’s doing the opposite of the crowds. And making money in the process. Renting out the FL house in the winter is simple. Good, older people, all Big Ten country folks. Funny how the area is Big Ten Country and has been for a long time.
For multiple years we rented a Marco Island property for the months of June, July, and August to teachers from NJ. For a few thousand bucks they had a place for a month (not a week) with swimming pools, amazing 6-mile uncrowded beach, and a choice of uncrowded bars and restaurants as well as Marco Island’s unlimited water activities (fishing, boating, kayaking) and nearby golf courses. For them it was a good change of scenery and a solid alternative to a NJ beach rental.

For multiple years we rented a Marco Island property for the months of June, July, and August to teachers from NJ. For a few thousand bucks they had a place for a month (not a week) with swimming pools, amazing 6-mile uncrowded beach, and a choice of uncrowded bars and restaurants as well as Marco Island’s unlimited water activities (fishing, boating, kayaking) and nearby golf courses. For them it was a good change of scenery and a solid alternative to a NJ beach rental.
Can’t imagine playing golf in FL in July.

Yup. Just a couple years ago it was $80. Someone has to pay for the new Beach Hdqtrs. Doesn't every less than a mile long beach need at least 2? What I feel is way out of line is $12 for a day badge and $20 to park in town lots on the weekend.
Where did they put a 2nd headquarters? The "old" one is maybe 10 years old, right. Squan has gotten too popular since I started going in '08.

Where did they put a 2nd headquarters? The "old" one is maybe 10 years old, right. Squan has gotten too popular since I started going in '08.
The Sea Watch property at the North end. The "old" one at Main isn't big enough anymore. It's popular in a different way now. Less rentals, more year round and 2nd home. When I moved here 30 years ago, it was the opposite. Sandy really changed the beach area.

The Sea Watch property at the North end. The "old" one at Main isn't big enough anymore. It's popular in a different way now. Less rentals, more year round and 2nd home. When I moved here 30 years ago, it was the opposite. Sandy really changed the beach area.
After the financial collapse in 08, it was great for a few years. Could always find a parking spot within a 10 minute walk of the beach, even on most weekends, as long as you were there before 10AM. I still love it and if I somehow find a million bucks laying around its where I'd move to. But I really hope it doesn't become Spring Lake/Sea Girt South.

After the financial collapse in 08, it was great for a few years. Could always find a parking spot within a 10 minute walk of the beach, even on most weekends, as long as you were there before 10AM. I still love it and if I somehow find a million bucks laying around its where I'd move to. * But I really hope it doesn't become Spring Lake/Sea Girt South.

It'll never turn into Sp Lk or Sea Girt but yes, the prices here are outrageous imo.
Lot sizes are just too small.

* Look a little north for that part.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
Lot sizes are just too small.

* Look a little north for that part.
Agree to a certain extent. But there have been some recent builds that I can’t understand how they got approval for house size. Look at the 2 recent build on Marcellus. They knock down a small ranch and put up 2 shitty cookie cutters priced at 2 million. Daughter wanted to go to the open house last weekend. These things have a nice design but shoddy materials and execution. Things are going to fall apart in 2 years.

Agree to a certain extent. But there have been some recent builds that I can’t understand how they got approval for house size. Look at the 2 recent build on Marcellus. They knock down a small ranch and put up 2 shitty cookie cutters priced at 2 million. Daughter wanted to go to the open house last weekend. These things have a nice design but shoddy materials and execution. Things are going to fall apart in 2 years.

People just want to be here.🤷‍♂️

+1
Packing in more houses is a bad idea. The best shore towns are reducing the number of lots by merging them. Two old lots now equal one big lot. Plenty of room for a large house, pool, and backyard. Land use management is key.

People just want to be here.🤷‍♂️
Yep. House behind me sold for 825 (small 3 br cape) in late 2022. Minimal investment in house other than tree removal. Sold privately pre listing 6 months ago for 1.6.

Yep. House behind me sold for 825 (small 3 br cape) in late 2022. Minimal investment in house other than tree removal. Sold privately pre listing 6 months ago for 1.6.
The past few years have been insane at the shore. Our target area in Stone Harbor went from $2-3m in 2019 to $5-6m now. COVID really supercharged the second home market.

The past few years have been insane at the shore. Our target area in Stone Harbor went from $2-3m in 2019 to $5-6m now. COVID really supercharged the second home market.
I’ve told this story before..sister in a law and a good friend are realtors in this market. One in the Hamptons, one around here.

They both said (without talking to each other) they knew it was different when their clients started asking about how the schools were. For some, that second home became the main one.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I’ve told this story before..sister in a law and a good friend are realtors in this market. One in the Hamptons, one around here.

They both said (without talking to each other) they knew it was different when their clients started asking about how the schools were. For some, that second home became the main one.
That's a good point. The big realtor in Avalon/SH said they lost 100+ rentals due to owners deciding to move in. People needed a change of pace after the lockdowns. I don't know if the pendulum has swung back since them. School pops haven't increased much in Avalon/SH, but most homeowners are likely older and have adult kids.

Yea my old rental on 20th 98-2004 is now estimated at3.87. And that isn’t the desirable end. What we did in that place!!! I hope they disinfected.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT