ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Season beach tags

I love the Jersey beaches but I haven't been on the beach when badges are required even in the summer. I still surf and fish from the shore in the morning and have never been asked for a badge.
I'm not a sun bather type of person and sitting on the beach all day is boring as hell to me. Rather be doing something. To each their own.
Some beaches allow fisherman on the beach without a badge but not nearly as many as years ago.
All beaches have to provide access to fisherman and surfers. Technically a beach badge is not “necessary” to swim. Only to sit on the beach.

Reactions: newell138
All beaches have to provide access to fisherman and surfers. Technically a beach badge is not “necessary” to swim. Only to sit on the beach.
Yes but some towns limit the areas where it's free to surf and fish and in most cases they aren't desirable for either activity.

The real reason is to thin the hordes. Philly and NYC are a stone’s throw away. Congestion pricing for beach access is next.
I truly doubt that's the "real" reason, or the other thing, but it is a potentiial advantage for all involved.

Does anyone really want NJ beaches more crowded in mid-summer?

The real reason is to thin the hordes. Philly and NYC are a stone’s throw away. Congestion pricing for beach access is next.
Just a personal opinion but I couldn’t agree more. I commuted to NYC via driving for many years and advocated higher tolls if nothing else but to reduce traffic and save time. My Same with the beach; charge more so as to fund operations and keep the PA and NY and other riff raff to a minimum.
Ike I said, just my view but keep the bennies and PA a folks to a minimum. Qualification: I am not saying all bennies or PA or visitors are undesirable, just “some/most” of them.

It's utterly ridiculous to pay to go on a beach. Another reason why I'm not a fan of the shore.
I love this argument. "Florida beaches are free." When I visit my friend in Florida, we go to Deerfield Beach. $3 or $4 per hour to park. No option to park a few blocks away and walk. Give me my $70 season pass (which I totally get my money's worth) and I park 3 blocks away and walk to my beach that is raked every morning, and is guarded by some of the best lifeguards around.

I love the Jersey beaches but I haven't been on the beach when badges are required even in the summer. I still surf and fish from the shore in the morning and have never been asked for a badge.
I'm not a sun bather type of person and sitting on the beach all day is boring as hell to me. Rather be doing something. To each their own.
Some beaches allow fisherman on the beach without a badge but not nearly as many as years ago.
Similar. Go mostly in the off season (especially sept) and never am on the beach for long, as it's boring plus I burn easily - just enough time for a swim and a Frisbee catch.

Reactions: WhiteBus
The question then becomes who pays the lifeguards? Who keeps the beach usable and clean? Who provides Law Enforcement and other additional services?

I love this argument. "Florida beaches are free." When I visit my friend in Florida, we go to Deerfield Beach. $3 or $4 per hour to park. No option to park a few blocks away and walk. Give me my $70 season pass (which I totally get my money's worth) and I park 3 blocks away and walk to my beach that is raked every morning, and is guarded by some of the best lifeguards around.
I have swam in beautiful beaches in the Caribbean in multiple countries with no lifeguards on site (and with my little kids in the water). Funny thinking that's a requirement to go on a beach and double LOL acting like you don't have to pay to park at certain NJ beaches also. It's like $50 between parking and a day pass at Long Branch. Hard hard pass. I guess only NJ needs to tax people to keep the beach clean. If they started doing a sand tax you guys would rationalize it.

You guys need to get out more.

Similar. Go mostly in the off season (especially sept) and never am on the beach for long, as it's boring plus I burn easily - just enough time for a swim and a Frisbee catch.
September and October were my favorite months living in Lavallette. All but one of our home football games were Friday night at Pt. Pleasant Beach HS and many away games. Which meant you had a free weekend. Swimming/surfing in the ocean after a violent football game was therapeutic, something about the salt water. Bluefish were huge by then and snappers became baby blues. Both we used for bait and crab bait. Eels were becoming big and by late October you could use them live for stripers. I was a fanatic fisherman back then. A lot of BBQ and seafood in the fall!

September and October were my favorite months living in Lavallette. All but one of our home football games were Friday night at Pt. Pleasant Beach HS and many away games. Which meant you had a free weekend. Swimming/surfing in the ocean after a violent football game was therapeutic, something about the salt water. Bluefish were huge by then and snappers became baby blues. Both we used for bait and crab bait. Eels were becoming big and by late October you could use them live for stripers. I was a fanatic fisherman back then. A lot of BBQ and seafood in the fall!
The beautiful local's summer

Reactions: ManasquanMike
The beautiful local's summer
Yes! Right? You don't have the crowds and it's the best time of the year! I do go to the shore a lot in the summer but since the pandemic I go most weekends in the fall and pass on RU home games for the most part. I do miss being a local. These days I'd pick somewhere just inland in Cape May County. I'm down there a lot.

The past few years we had been buying season passes in Avon for $100 per. This year we boughr a place in Cape May and purchased season passes to the nicest beach in NJ for $30 each.

The past few years we had been buying season passes in Avon for $100 per. This year we boughr a place in Cape May and purchased season passes to the nicest beach in NJ for $30 each.
Awesome. When can a stop by on a ride? I'll bring beer! 😁🍺
Congratulations it's wonderful there!

There’s not a single beach worth paying for to enter in NJ. Not a one. In fact, charging people to access the ocean is criminal.

Beaches in Long Island, Delaware, MD and VA are nicer and you don’t pay an arm and a leg just to park and you DON’T Pay to get onto the beach.

NJ beach tolls is congestion pricing and to keep outsiders from town “private” beaches if there is such a thing legally. Love Wildwood and Cape May though and they don’t charge to go into bacteria waters.

GO RU

There’s not a single beach worth paying for to enter in NJ. Not a one. In fact, charging people to access the ocean is criminal.

Beaches in Long Island, Delaware, MD and VA are nicer and you don’t pay an arm and a leg just to park and you DON’T Pay to get onto the beach.

NJ beach tolls is congestion pricing and to keep outsiders from town “private” beaches if there is such a thing legally. Love Wildwood and Cape May though and they don’t charge to go into bacteria waters.

GO RU
NJ actually has some of the cleanest beaches in the US, due to all coastal municipalities hashing activated sludge wastewater treatment plants ensuring very low bacterial counts. NJ also has way better beach towns than those states. Beach fees don't bother me at all as it's money well spent to maintain the most crowded beaches in the US.

Some of the prices these towns charge are insane. A few over $100, but most seem pretty reasonable in the $20-$30 range. I recall Belmar back in the 80's was around $30 they have gone up to $80. Looking back $30 in the 80's was pretty high.
Island Beach State Park continues to be the best bargain and IMO nicest beach in NJ

@knightfan7 $95 in Manasquan!

beaches should be free

outrageous to charge imho

Reactions: satnom
beaches should be free

outrageous to charge imho
See example of Free beaches

100 dollars wow. So who is going to rescue you’re ass out of a rip current for free?

Heading to my place on Marco Island next weekend. Cannot wait. Prefect time of year. About 85 as a high and all the annoying snowbirds have left. Will spend the next 6 months down there. Love it. Hot is hot and I enjoy the heat. I can be in NJ for 90 degree days on a mobbed beach or sitting on the beach on Marco at 90 with an ocean breeze having a beer. It’s all relative I guess. But no beach badge fees at least I guess. Has become more popular in summer as people leave other areas but still nice for now.

Looks like Venice. If so, I was there this afternoon. You’ll need a more current photo.

I don’t know where these people went but they’re not there today.
Was gonna say, I was there this morning. That pic has to be two years old. And though the beach is free, you’re paying to park

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I have swam in beautiful beaches in the Caribbean in multiple countries with no lifeguards on site (and with my little kids in the water). Funny thinking that's a requirement to go on a beach and double LOL acting like you don't have to pay to park at certain NJ beaches also. It's like $50 between parking and a day pass at Long Branch. Hard hard pass. I guess only NJ needs to tax people to keep the beach clean. If they started doing a sand tax you guys would rationalize it.

You guys need to get out more.
I don’t think you actually read what I wrote. I pay $70 for my season pass, park for free three blocks away. I go every day on the weekends, and on my day off during the week. That doesn’t add up to the couple thousand dollars I would spend to go to the Caribbean for a week.

Reactions: fsg2
Heading to my place on Marco Island next weekend. Cannot wait. Prefect time of year. About 85 as a high and all the annoying snowbirds have left. Will spend the next 6 months down there. Love it. Hot is hot and I enjoy the heat. I can be in NJ for 90 degree days on a mobbed beach or sitting on the beach on Marco at 90 with an ocean breeze having a beer. It’s all relative I guess. But no beach badge fees at least I guess. Has become more popular in summer as people leave other areas but still nice for now.
Big fan of Marco but IDK how you swim in the gulf during the summer

GO RU
If you're not paying for a badge in those states, you are paying in other ways.

Great beaches there
Love eating at Davide
Snook Inn was a gem

We get the season pass for Spring Lake in the summer

Usually head over 1x/week, but don't like going in the water for long until late-July as it's still cold

But no riff-raff and laid back people = good stuff

Summer in FL (May thru Sept at least) is unrelentingly hot and humid with 99% of the population shivering indoors in their air conditioning and only doing any outdoor activities before 9 am when it's slightly tolerable. In NJ we have comparably hot and humid days maybe 10-15% of the time during that stretch. I simply can't understand how anyone lives there during that time. Also the Gulf is a glorified lake and NJ beach towns are way more interesting than FL beach towns.

Reactions: TRU2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT