ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Season beach tags

Agree to a certain extent. But there have been some recent builds that I can’t understand how they got approval for house size. Look at the 2 recent build on Marcellus. They knock down a small ranch and put up 2 shitty cookie cutters priced at 2 million. Daughter wanted to go to the open house last weekend. These things have a nice design but shoddy materials and execution. Things are going to fall apart in 2 years.

I had my issues with the town after Sandy. 1 silly, very minor thing in particular. Long delay in waiting for a hearing cost me a fair amount in time and $$$. To a layman it sure seems like some get rubber stamped while others get put thru the wringer.

I will add the actual employees in the Bldg Dept were great and very helpful.

As to Marcellus, did you like how they had to curve around a tree to fit a driveway in one of the houses?

I hear there's a house for sale on Brielle for $3 or $4 million. Flooding is included.😀

Reactions: kupuna133
Two income families, less kids per family (less big bills), and larger inheritances (less siblings to split inheritances with) factor into beach community real estate price rises. More couples in the market for beach houses.

Reactions: hrdcorhays
I had my issues with the town after Sandy. 1 silly, very minor thing in particular. Long delay in waiting for a hearing cost me a fair amount in time and $$$. To a layman it sure seems like some get rubber stamped while others get put thru the wringer.

I will add the actual employees in the Bldg Dept were great and very helpful.

As to Marcellus, did you like how they had to curve around a tree to fit a driveway in one of the houses?

I hear there's a house for sale on Brielle for $3 or $4 million. Flooding is included.😀
Yea I have had my issues with permits and such. Amazing how someone is always on vacation when you need them to “stamp” their approval.

Yea my wife and I laughed about the “tree” workaround. As I said earlier in the thread my 12 year old and I went to open houses last weekend for shits and giggles. Amazing what 3 million doesn’t get you any more. The Marcellus houses in particular have issues. There are 3 rooms in the house that can’t be used for anything but storage. Utilities were placed in 3 rooms in the basement rather than consolidating. It’s so bad that waste and supply are coming through the ceiling 12-18 inches off the wall.

Went into the house on Captains Ct 2 streets over from Brielle 3.75. Realtor must have said this street doesn’t flood 20 times. My daughter actually laughed out loud a couple of times.

Doesn’t matter if that street floods every street around it floods. So you will be on an island with no way to get out.

If you're not paying for a badge in those states, you are paying in other ways.
Getting used to the beach tag thing wasn't a big deal when I came to New Jersey, but I doubt that it's "either/or." Beachgoers are likely paying in both ways in New Jersey. I would doubt that the amount revenue generated by beach tags puts much of a dent in beach maintenance...

Getting used to the beach tag thing wasn't a big deal when I came to New Jersey, but I doubt that it's "either/or." Beachgoers are likely paying in both ways in New Jersey. I would doubt that the amount revenue generated by beach tags puts much of a dent in beach maintenance...
Rebuilding the beach each spring after a full off season of erosion alone costs a fortune.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Beach replenishment yes. That everyone pays for just like any other state.

NJ shore towns basically have 2 budgets, 1 regular and 1 for the beach. By law, they cannot use income from the beach on anything other the expenses incurred from operating said beach. Now I'm sure there are workarounds but dem's da rules.

Employees working at the beach ($14/hr and up in '23)
garbage pickup
maintenance including cleaning daily in the early morning hours
equipment
Not sure about the salaries for seasonal police as a year round force for 5,500 doesn't work for a summer crowd of 15,000 or more on weekends

Reactions: dconifer
I didn't know Stone Harbor was that expensive till recently. I knew your town was but didn't realize it was all around your area.
I don't follow shore real estate closely, but my impression is that shore prices have sharply increased all over.

The one place I wonder about is, oddly enough, Cape May. The last time I was there a number of large houses (probably mostly used as b & bs) seemed to be for sale. I wonder what is happening to those houses.

NJ shore towns basically have 2 budgets, 1 regular and 1 for the beach. By law, they cannot use income from the beach on anything other the expenses incurred from operating said beach. Now I'm sure there are workarounds but dem's da rules.

garbage pickup
equipment
Not sure about the salaries for seasonal police as a year round force for 5,500 doesn't work for a summer crowd of 15,000 or more on weekends
I would be very interested to know the actual number of people sleeping in Squan on 4th of July weekend. Our small 2Br rental was somewhat generously CO'd for 5, which we actually typically kept to. But one year on the 4th we had like 12.

garbage pickup
equipment

this^^^ The minimum wage is $15+ an hour now

Season passes for Avon by the Sea for the last 9 years since I retired at 60 years old in 2015. It was $100 each for my wife and I and now it's $55 each once you are 65 years old. We love the beach and that whole Avon, Belmar area. We were very close to buying a second home in Belmar before Sandy hit, then we thought better of it. PS. Also free parking unlike most shore area towns.

Last edited:
Season passesl for Avon by the Sea for the last 9 years since I retired at 60 years old in 2015. It was $100 each for my wife and I and now it's $55 each once you are 65 years old. We love the beach and that whole Avon, Belmar area. We were very close to buying a second home in Belmar before Sandy hit, then we thought better of it.
Senior Badges are $35 here, up from $30 last year. That, besides Active Military and their family along with Individual military vets get in free, is the best deal.

Spring Lake is the worst when it comes to “rules” of what you cannot do on the beach. First for a season beach badge it is $110. Secondly you can’t do shit on the beach! No food, no drinks except water, no kites, beach canopies, and on and on. I saw a father get arrested on the beach one time a few years back because his family was eating lunch on the beach!

Spring Lake is the worst when it comes to “rules” of what you cannot do on the beach. First for a season beach badge it is $110. Secondly you can’t do shit on the beach! No food, no drinks except water, no kites, beach canopies, and on and on. I saw a father get arrested on the beach one time a few years back because his family was eating lunch on the beach!
Some are over the top but flying kites during the day I totally agree with. Most kites do not flutter back down to earth, they are more like kamikaze plane crashing. Later in the day when the crowds leave absolutely.

But free parking.🙂

• Haha
Reactions: newell138

People do not get arrested for eating on the beach. They do get warned or fined. So what you are saying is unlikely and not credible.

And like everything else, people don’t follow rules as much anymore so you do see people eating on the beach now.

The canopy thing has been a bone of contention both pro and con up and down the shore for a couple years.

I'm not going to look up other towns but here's what Manasquan says.........

Are there restrictions on the type of umbrella and/or tent can I use on the beach?

Yes. No person shall erect, maintain, use or occupy on or in any beach or bathing area any umbrella, tent, canopy, shelter or structure of any kind with the exception of the following:

• Umbrellas with one central stanchion to support shade whether upright or at a ninety-degree position that is a collapsible circular shade no greater than eight feet in diameter or radiating from its center pole greater than seven feet six inches in height and does not contain grounding lines, ropes or sides.
  • Devices designed or used to shade infants and small children, also known as "baby tents," no larger than 40 inches high by 40 inches wide by 40 inches deep.
Umbrellas and baby tents anchoring lines, tethers, or the like shall not extend beyond the perimeter of the umbrella or baby tent.

No person shall locate an umbrella or baby tent in an area obscuring a lifeguard's view of the ocean or in an area impeding a lifeguard's egress from a lifeguard stand, as determined by a lifeguard.

All other umbrellas, tents, canopies or structures are strictly prohibited except when a Use of Borough Property application has been filed with the Clerk of the Borough of Manasquan and approved by the Mayor and Council.

How many Jersey beaches have those restroom facilities? In my experience, not very many -- and that is what makes Island Beach State Park so attractive to those of us who aren't too far away.
Manasquan has 5 for a beach less than a mile long so you may have to walk a short distance depending on where you decide to sit.

And you don't have waste time standing in line like the Jersey Mike's or SHI.😀

People do not get arrested for eating on the beach. They do get warned or fined. So what you are saying is unlikely and not credible.

And like everything else, people don’t follow rules as much anymore so you do see people eating on the beach now.
Ain't it the truth, man...

Definitely something to think about. Did you buy in another shore town or completely nix the idea?
Totally nixed the idea and then 3 Grandkids came along, lol. Part of me wanted to revisit the idea because of them and the thought they'd want to stay with us during the summer months.

Reactions: newell138

The guy got arrested on the beach because he gave the beach patrol kid a hard time and basically told the kid to pound sand. Kid went and told his supervisor who called the cops. Cops approach the guy on the beach and he runs off into the water. He was in the water for like two hours and finally came out and arrested him. The initial complaint was the beach patrol kid telling him that you are not allowed to eat on the beach. I saw the whole thing unfold because I was the next beach blanket over.
FYI- I go to spring Lake (my favorite beach) because the high fee's and rules keep the riff raff away. Spring Lake is over the top with their rules but I will abide by them because I don't want to deal with the crowds at Belmar and Avon!

The guy got arrested on the beach because he gave the beach patrol kid a hard time and basically told the kid to pound sand. Kid went and told his supervisor who called the cops. Cops approach the guy on the beach and he runs off into the water. He was in the water for like two hours and finally came out and arrested him. The initial complaint was the beach patrol kid telling him that you are not allowed to eat on the beach. I saw the whole thing unfold because I was the next beach blanket over.
FYI- I go to spring Lake (my favorite beach) because the high fee's and rules keep the riff raff away. Spring Lake is over the top with their rules but I will abide by them because I don't want to deal with the crowds at Belmar and Avon!

In other words, guy got arrested for being an uncooperative loudmouth asshole who also broke the rule to begin with. Not for eating on the beach.

Agree to a certain extent. But there have been some recent builds that I can’t understand how they got approval for house size. Look at the 2 recent build on Marcellus. They knock down a small ranch and put up 2 shitty cookie cutters priced at 2 million. Daughter wanted to go to the open house last weekend. These things have a nice design but shoddy materials and execution. Things are going to fall apart in 2 years.

Holy smokes, $2 million to stare at an ugly old church and boxed in with your neighbor?

What materials are shoddy? Who was the builder? I see Goodman AC units (I think)- which are crap, IMO. I think I know the person who lived in the original house and sold the property, if I have the correct property.

It used to be if you dug a hole, you could get in the hole and smile. But that's gone now. What's a person to do with all of these rules? 🤷‍♂️
I believe several Monmouth University students died being buried alive in a fraternity hazing incident on a beach. Basically digging their own graves as the holes were too close to each other and collapsed. This happened several decades ago.

It used to be if you dug a hole, you could get in the hole and smile. But that's gone now. What's a person to do with all of these rules? 🤷‍♂️
Well this is why. Makes sense as this isn't the first time!

Every summer someone dies from holes, so I get it.. All rules are because some jackass gets carried away. Eating banned because people leave garbage all over and it attracts seagulls, people coming on the beach with shovels from the Home Depot to dig 10 foot holes, etc.

If you are discreet and not obnoxious you can eat and drink on the beach. The rules are made for the people who go overboard.

In other words, guy got arrested for being an uncooperative loudmouth asshole who also broke the rule to begin with. Not for eating on the beach.
We all knew it had to be something like that, right?

Always wonder what people are thinking in those moments. “I’ll just abandon my family and stay in the water until the cops give up.” What were the guy’s kids thinking about him the whole time?

Every summer someone dies from holes, so I get it.. All rules are because some jackass gets carried away. Eating banned because people leave garbage all over and it attracts seagulls, people coming on the beach with shovels from the Home Depot to dig 10 foot holes, etc.

If you are discreet and not obnoxious you can eat and drink on the beach. The rules are made for the people who go overboard.
I agree with the hole rule, actually. I was just making a lame attempt at a joke.

In Belmar, they should let some of their visitors dig holes close to the low tide line at low tide. Would solve some of the garbage problems.

We all knew it had to be something like that, right?

Always wonder what people are thinking in those moments. “I’ll just abandon my family and stay in the water until the cops give up.” What were the guy’s kids thinking about him the whole time?

At that point why not just swim to a country with which we don't have an extradition treaty?

At that point why not just swim to a country with which we don't have an extradition treaty?
That's good, outside the box thinking. Only potential downside I can see is that he might kick some whales in the head during the swim, killing them and causing them to wash up on the NJ coastline.

Great rule on digging holes/tunnels on beaches...Beaches are so dangerous for digging holes/tunnels...I've worked on beach for 30 years and when I started we had a old time doctor that worked weekends for us...He would always go on a rant about holes...I use to be like..cmon relax....Well he couldn't of called it better after so many deaths in last 20 years...I was on scene when a Maine 18 year old died couple years ago in Ortley...We pulled his sister out with her hands out of sand and when we brought her up shes yelling she was on her brothers shoulders...took over an hour to dig him up....So tragic...I was pushing for a borough ordinance on holes and my beach/Borough started it 2 years ago

Last edited:

Exactly. The actual story makes sense. That’s kind of what I expected would be the real details. Those beach police do not escalate things in my experience.

Well the no eating on the beach rule is what incited the whole thing.

Doubling down, I see!

What incited the whole thing is the guy was an a-hole who didn’t think the rules applied to him and he thought he could get away with disrespecting a college kid working as a summer police officer.

Holy smokes, $2 million to stare at an ugly old church and boxed in with your neighbor?

What materials are shoddy? Who was the builder? I see Goodman AC units (I think)- which are crap, IMO. I think I know the person who lived in the original house and sold the property, if I have the correct property.
Most of the materials are substandard builder grade type stuff. Horrible craftsmanship. Lots of joints don’t align and stair treads loose and out of alignment, crown molding doesn’t align with the ceiling. If you think looking at the church is bad don’t look out the back and definitely don’t look out the stairwell window ( it directly overlooks the neighbors outdoor shower).

In the non corner house 3 rooms in the basement are not usable for anything but storage. Because they placed the utilities, in 3 separate rooms. The plumbing design is so bad In the basement that the vent and supply are 12-18 inches off the wall and come directly out of ceiling. Sad because that room could have been a nice office or guest room.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT