ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Cover

Saw them live at PNC few years ago and will see them with my daughter in February. Again they are not for everyone. Listen to the song, “The light”. Spoke the words to my mom, as I held her hand as she lay dying in the hospital. She could not speak but tried to lift my hand to her mouth to kiss it. Off Evolution, Hold onto Memories, answers so many questions I have had about death. Few bands to me can elicit so much emotion.
I gave it a listen, and it is good. You not only cracked open my closed mind, but I delayed my morning workout to check out the lyrics. Interesting comments on the "song meaning," which can mean different things to different people.
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859513090/

But Draiman addressed it--it should be the theme song for Rutgers football.
"The message for 'The Light' is one of positivity," said vocalist and lyricist David Draiman. "Most people are quite apprehensive about the 'dark' periods, and experiences of their lives. However, sometimes those dark periods of time are a necessary path we must take in order to finally see, 'the light,' so to speak."

Reactions: TM94goRU and RuBird
Actually, my all-time vote for "Best Cover", all things considered, is a cover that isn't actually a cover.

In 1967, Mike Shapiro and Harry Middlebrooks recorded an instrumental titled "Spooky". Later that year Jim Cobb and Buddy Buie of the group "Classics IV", added lyrics and re-released the song, with the late Dennis Yost doing vocals. It topped out at #3 on the Billboard 100 in 1968.

About five or six years later Cobb, Buie and Classics IV bandmate Dean Daughtry were working as members of the session band at the Studio One recording facility in Doraville, GA when they started releasing albums under the name Atlanta Rhythm Section. The ARS 1979 album "Underdog" included a re-recording of "Spooky", which topped out at #17 on the Billboard charts.

Reactions: BABYBULL24
You can't beat this cover from the 1950's! And it fits with the season.

Reactions: Jm0513
- Linda Ronstadt’s version of Chuck Berry’s “Living in the USA”

- Darius Rucker’s version of Dylan’s “Wagon Wheel”

- Van Halen’s version of the Kink’s “You Really Got Me” with the added intro of “Eruption”

The others most of you guys already “covered” LOL.

I will go with ELO and "roll over beethoven"....

anyone can just sing a song done by others and put a little of their own flair into it, but ELO
was genius incorporating actual beethoven into it

and it came out pretty well, particularly the 8 minute extended version

I saw ELO this past fall. They close with it. It’s great

Reactions: wheezer
Saw Rancid in 95, I believe, at the old Fastlane in AP - fantastic show, featuring the most violent mosh pit I've probably ever seen (I stayed on the edge, throwing people back in, lol - too crazy for me when I was in my early 30s). Speaking of WEH, likely going to see the Chills there this spring...

Fishbone at The Tradewinds, roughest pit I ever saw, I was scared......I'm going to WEH in May to see the Hold Steady again

Wow. Never heard of the Bronx, and I don't know why. Just listened to a few songs, and that is right in my wheelhouse--loud and aggressive.
I don't ever hear them on Faction Punk, and it seems they would fit in there.

A buddy of mine turned me on to them, first time seeing them tomorrow night in Brooklyn

Reactions: Knight Shift
I always enjoyed Punk bands as they are always making great covers (And failing on many as well)
Taking an original I already like and giving me another version I really enjoy is not easy.

And this Punk classic by Devo. I think this is the first cover by a Punk band that went mainstream.

Agree 110% on these being great covers and loving punk covers. A couple of my favorites are "I Fought the Law" by the Clash, "Do You Wanna Dance" by the Ramones,(always thought the Beach Boys had the original, but just noticed it was a hit for Bobby Freeman in 1958) and "Take Me to the River" by the Talking Heads (same year as Devo's cover), and the Banana Splits theme song by the Dickies.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Can I join them? lol just kidding. That's awesome he goes to shows with you guys!
The more the merrier, lol. It was great for him, but it was also awesome for us and me, since my wife probably went to about half of the shows, as he and I (sometimes wtih 2-3 of his teenage friends) went to quite a few on our own, too. He probably got to see about 100 bands with me/us (including several festivals with many bands, so it wasn't 100 shows) from the time he was 12-13 until he was 16-17 and started going mostly on his own. But he still comes with us sometimes - just saw the Feelies doing the Velvet Underground tribute with him and friends a few weeks ago at White Eagle Hall - a top 10-20 all-time show for me and a few other attendees.

Best show ever, though, was probably getting to see Cloud Nothings, Dom and Wavves at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn in 2010. It was the Cloud Nothings first tour and they opened and blew us away and have gotten much bigger since. Dom was great also, but not sure if they're still together. And Wavves were the headliner and were awesome - was my son's first mosh pit and he loved it - proud moment being in the same moshpit with my then 15 year old son.

Best part might've been that we had no tix and tried scalping, but nobody parted with any, so I then gave the doorguy $50 to let us in ($10 tix, but these bands were white hot for the hipster crowd back then). Then about 20 minutes later, he spotted us inside and asked if we wanted to go backstage to meet Wavves - was very cool for my son, as they all signed his iPod and thought it was very cool that a kid knew all their songs.

The more the merrier, lol. It was great for him, but it was also awesome for us and me, since my wife probably went to about half of the shows, as he and I (sometimes wtih 2-3 of his teenage friends) went to quite a few on our own, too. He probably got to see about 100 bands with me/us (including several festivals with many bands, so it wasn't 100 shows) from the time he was 12-13 until he was 16-17 and started going mostly on his own. But he still comes with us sometimes - just saw the Feelies doing the Velvet Underground tribute with him and friends a few weeks ago at White Eagle Hall - a top 10-20 all-time show for me and a few other attendees.

Best show ever, though, was probably getting to see Cloud Nothings, Dom and Wavves at the Knitting Factory in Brooklyn in 2010. It was the Cloud Nothings first tour and they opened and blew us away and have gotten much bigger since. Dom was great also, but not sure if they're still together. And Wavves were the headliner and were awesome - was my son's first mosh pit and he loved it - proud moment being in the same moshpit with my then 15 year old son.

Best part might've been that we had no tix and tried scalping, but nobody parted with any, so I then gave the doorguy $50 to let us in ($10 tix, but these bands were white hot for the hipster crowd back then). Then about 20 minutes later, he spotted us inside and asked if we wanted to go backstage to meet Wavves - was very cool for my son, as they all signed his iPod and thought it was very cool that a kid knew all their songs.
That's awesome! My 14yr old isn't into the same music I like. Although she is opening her mind more to it as she gets older.

Also:

Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" (1967) by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968)

The Arrows' "I Love Rock 'n' Roll (1975) by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts (1982)

That's awesome! My 14yr old isn't into the same music I like. Although she is opening her mind more to it as she gets older.
My oldest son is not really into music, and my youngest is not into rock music. I dragged my oldest to Springsteen and Twisted Sister (separate shows), and he was not moved.
I took my youngest to The Scorpions, Alice in Chains, Kiss/Motley Crue and Van Halen shows. He thought they were OK, but still not really into rock music. In 20-30 years, rock may truly be a dead music genre.

Reactions: Jm0513
My oldest son is not really into music, and my youngest is not into rock music. I dragged my oldest to Springsteen and Twisted Sister (separate shows), and he was not moved.
I took my youngest to The Scorpions, Alice in Chains, Kiss/Motley Crue and Van Halen shows. He thought they were OK, but still not really into rock music. In 20-30 years, rock may truly be a dead music genre.
I can't imagine mine at a Pearl Jam or NIN show lol. Although her taste is improving. I'm sad I never got to see Alice in Chains...I'm a big fan of Layne.. RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT