ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bitcoin, Altcoins, NFT's & All Things Crypto

I think everyone agrees blockchain technology can be disruptive. If you remove the tokenization from the conversation and just focus on the tech- its faster, cheaper, more secure and allows for more interoperability. IBM's work on their blockchain platforms is a great example of this. The technology is better, its a matter of whether or not companies are pushed to be interoperable. In my opinion, they will be.

Video games are a good example and have a lot that can be gained from interoperability. Sony and Microsoft are fighting against this (see Microsoft's ban of NFT's in Minecraft) because they want to keep things in house and at the moment interoperability isn't in their best interest. While at the same time Microsoft just invested in it's first blockchain game ( https://news.bitcoin.com/microsoft-...heroes-as-historic-partnership-gets-underway/).

What does a “blockchain” game have that regular games don’t? My perception is it’s just a way to get more money out of users once they start playing (the FarmVille model) but hoping I’m wrong.

What does a “blockchain” game have that regular games don’t? My perception is it’s just a way to get more money out of users once they start playing (the FarmVille model) but hoping I’m wrong.
Quite possibly could be the exact opposite if you talk about play to earn. Not a huge fan of that model and trying to keep tokens out of this conversation. The attraction of a blockchain game is owning any assets you create/win/earn in one game and being able to use them in multiple games. Examples would be characters, weapons, vehicles, currency, etc. You'd be the player/character going through multiple games (metaverse/s) rather than being bound to each individual game.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
I think everyone agrees blockchain technology can be disruptive. If you remove the tokenization from the conversation and just focus on the tech- its faster, cheaper, more secure and allows for more interoperability. IBM's work on their blockchain platforms is a great example of this. The technology is better, its a matter of whether or not companies are pushed to be interoperable. In my opinion, they will be.

Video games are a good example and have a lot that can be gained from interoperability. Sony and Microsoft are fighting against this (see Microsoft's ban of NFT's in Minecraft) because they want to keep things in house and at the moment interoperability isn't in their best interest. While at the same time Microsoft just invested in it's first blockchain game ( https://news.bitcoin.com/microsoft-...heroes-as-historic-partnership-gets-underway/).
I think we are on the same page from a tech perspective. But, interoperability will always be a problem unless regulators or a governing body steps in similar to the telecom industry. If not for interoperability Verizon customers wouldn’t be able to call AT&T or TMO customers. With that said, if you can solve the interoperability problem and blockchain goes mainstream in consumer/commercial applications, you then have to resolve the tokenization/crypto issue which would turn the financial industry upside down. For some reason, folks act like the countless financial institutions from JP Morgan to Citibank to PayPal, etc. are simply going to let their business go extinct.

I think we are on the same page from a tech perspective. But, interoperability will always be a problem unless regulators or a governing body steps in similar to the telecom industry. If not for interoperability Verizon customers wouldn’t be able to call AT&T or TMO customers. With that said, if you can solve the interoperability problem and blockchain goes mainstream in consumer/commercial applications, you then have to resolve the tokenization/crypto issue which would turn the financial industry upside down. For some reason, folks act like the countless financial institutions from JP Morgan to Citibank to PayPal, etc. are simply going to let their business go extinct.
On the last point I don’t think anyone is acting like they’ll go away. I think they’ll acquire, develop, adapt, etc.

Mastercard holds 90 blockchain patents with close to 300 pending. They’re looking at exactly what you reference

On the last point I don’t think anyone is acting like they’ll go away. I think they’ll acquire, develop, adapt, etc.

Mastercard holds 90 blockchain patents with close to 300 pending. They’re looking at exactly what you reference
This makes perfect sense, but again, look at what MC and most companies are focused on = it’s commercial/consumer blockchain applications that are centered on data and transactions, which fits given the volume of banking/financial transactions and the need for a ledger and security. MC is NOT (as far as I can tell) focused on crypto, tokens, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBlackout
Yea but people didn’t say that in 1997 did they? It’s not like me the Joe Schmo, is the only skeptic, there are highly qualified people of all backgrounds in engineering, data science, finance, technology, compliance that will straight up call the whole thing a sham. I’m pretty sure that wasnt happening in 1997 outside of the people who are extremely adverse to change. The only parallel between then and now I see is that before the dot com bust, any idea with “website” attached to it would get overvalued, and now any idea with “coin” or “blockchain” attached to it gets overvalued.

Blockchain may go on to solve some problems, I’m not a tech guy so can’t comment intelligently on how it compares to cloud storage or traditional payment systems, but nowhere close to the scale of the impact the internet had. I also feel the original idea of a cryptocurrency (take your pick) becoming the world reserve currency is highly unlikely to happen, but we’ll see how much farther this thing will go I guess.
Except people did. I dont have time to scour the net to find sources, but there's multiple national press reports from the late 90s calling the world wide web dead and/or pointless. Pretty sure I posted them somewhere in this thread.

In regards to your second paragraph, I'll drop this tweet in here.

Agreed that Interoperability will be an issue on technology especially with many layer 1s as well as layer 2s building on top.

Except people did. I dont have time to scour the net to find sources, but there's multiple national press reports from the late 90s calling the world wide web dead and/or pointless. Pretty sure I posted them somewhere in this thread.

Lol your 2nd paragraph is exactly why the whole thing is ridiculous. Replacing a bank with…. A shadow company that performs all of the same actions as… a bank, except if Strike decides to disappear to the Caymans with all of your funds then good luck with a recourse.

Setting aside Strike’s BTC/crypto angle, why would a customer move their entire banking relationship to Strike? Unless I’m missing something, my bank already does everything that Strike is touting. And I don’t think I pay any fees, at least in the normal course. And with Strike you still end up paying on-chain transactions fee to use the Bitcoin blockchain. So what’s the Strike advantage?

Lol your 2nd paragraph is exactly why the whole thing is ridiculous. Replacing a bank with…. A shadow company that performs all of the same actions as… a bank, except if Strike decides to disappear to the Caymans with all of your funds then good luck with a recourse.
Thats yhe founder talking about replacing his bank. The reality is that their platform is an open network with the capabilities to plug into nearly anything, which is tip of the iceberg

Sorry but this is a terrible take. Strike doesn’t hold your coins. If they disappear they are still yours. Now thankfully we live in America so we don’t have to worry (hopefully) about a bank run. But let’s say you lived in Greece circa 2007. The bank could decide to take 80% of your money and you’d be shit out of luck. This is a concern in other countries so you see more Bitcoin adoption there.

Setting aside Strike’s BTC/crypto angle, why would a customer move their entire banking relationship to Strike? Unless I’m missing something, my bank already does everything that Strike is touting. And I don’t think I pay any fees, at least in the normal course. And with Strike you still end up paying on-chain transactions fee to use the Bitcoin blockchain. So what’s the Strike advantage?
Don't get caught up in jacls initial text. Ots said to prove a point that you could. Also, don't put blinders on towards yourself and what you pay to your bank relative to others in the world and internationally.

Sorry but this is a terrible take. Strike doesn’t hold your coins. If they disappear they are still yours. Now thankfully we live in America so we don’t have to worry (hopefully) about a bank run. But let’s say you lived in Greece circa 2007. The bank could decide to take 80% of your money and you’d be shit out of luck. This is a concern in other countries so you see more Bitcoin adoption there.
If the last 2+ years have proven anything in western civilization, its that anything is possible.

This makes perfect sense, but again, look at what MC and most companies are focused on = it’s commercial/consumer blockchain applications that are centered on data and transactions, which fits given the volume of banking/financial transactions and the need for a ledger and security. MC is NOT (as far as I can tell) focused on crypto, tokens, etc.
But they are…

Thats yhe founder talking about replacing his bank. The reality is that their platform is an open network with the capabilities to plug into nearly anything, which is tip of the iceberg

While cool, we are already an extremely connected society, again, there are likely some practical uses but unless you are living and breathing this stuff, the effects blockchain will have will not be visible to the average person.

In regards to Strike itself, the questions are what happens to fees if they scale up? How does this company make money? How do they handle claims of fraud? What happens if I lose my password? Or worse, what if my password is stolen? Because from my view all they are is a less secure debit card and the merchant is the one catching the discount for the lack of security.

But they are…
I
But they are…
Again, in this scenario MC is simply helping to facilitate transactions. IMO legacy financial institutions have no real skin in the game beyond blockchain data/transaction ledgers and crypto enablement to satisfy potential customer demand. I don’t see them offering any crypto products of their own beyond those two areas, or opening their development platforms. In other words, unless there are clear regulations within the crypto industry, they will largely stay on the periphery and have no real incentive to change unless customers demand it. Another reason is the security/risks and compliance nightmares many of the projects pose.

I

Again, in this scenario MC is simply helping to facilitate transactions. IMO legacy financial institutions have no real skin in the game beyond blockchain data/transaction ledgers and crypto enablement to satisfy potential customer demand. I don’t see them offering any crypto products of their own beyond those two areas, or opening their development platforms. In other words, unless there are clear regulations within the crypto industry, they will largely stay on the periphery and have no real incentive to change unless customers demand it. Another reason is the security/risks and compliance nightmares many of the projects pose.
We are basically agreeing. I don't expect them to offer a crypto product, it's already there. The thesis is, the more we see the MasterCards and Microsofts of the world opening up to the tech, the more we will see adoption because of the superior tech. There will be people that use crypto for some of their financial needs and that will continue to grow. You or I won't be closing our bank accounts to carry a crypto card, but some will, even if its just $usdc.

Reactions: RUAldo
While cool, we are already an extremely connected society, again, there are likely some practical uses but unless you are living and breathing this stuff, the effects blockchain will have will not be visible to the average person.

In regards to Strike itself, the questions are what happens to fees if they scale up? How does this company make money? How do they handle claims of fraud? What happens if I lose my password? Or worse, what if my password is stolen? Because from my view all they are is a less secure debit card and the merchant is the one catching the discount for the lack of security.
There is no one here making claims that this is for everyone right now. It's for some now, and will be for more people as we move forward is my argument. Also, as mentioned a few times, yours (ours) is a very American view. We don't have the same worries as those in countries where you see much higher levels of adoption.

For the second part...what happens if your bank raises fees? You find a new bank. I've had fraudulent charges on my credit card three times this year. None in crypto so far. I use a ledger so even if the software wallet is hacked, you'd need that piece of hardware and its 24 phrase password to access it, good luck. My password is saved in my email (coded so it can't be hacked) and in a safe in my house. It's not that hard if it's something that you choose to do. Again, it may not be for you.

Reactions: bob-loblaw
There is no one here making claims that this is for everyone right now. It's for some now, and will be for more people as we move forward is my argument. Also, as mentioned a few times, yours (ours) is a very American view. We don't have the same worries as those in countries where you see much higher levels of adoption.

For the second part...what happens if your bank raises fees? You find a new bank. I've had fraudulent charges on my credit card three times this year. None in crypto so far. I use a ledger so even if the software wallet is hacked, you'd need that piece of hardware and its 24 phrase password to access it, good luck. My password is saved in my email (coded so it can't be hacked) and in a safe in my house. It's not that hard if it's something that you choose to do. Again, it may not be for you.

When the comparison is being made to the early internet, then the product being discussed should be a no brainer for everyone. It’s a no brainer for you who I am guessing is very tech centric, but not for most others, so forgive me if I am having trouble trying to understand the unrelenting hype.

As for non Americans, this type of freedom isn’t going to fly in places like China, Russia, and other like places. Stable countries like the US and most of Europe it’s going to be a niche user, and poor countries where internet access is a real problem, not sure what merchants are going to be equipped to accept payment this way. There will be some places where it makes sense, Central and South America seem to be leading the way, but for most of the world it’s not going to matter all that much.

When a fraudulent charge ends up on my CC or debit card I get a call almost instantly, and if they miss it, I can see it on my account and get it resolved almost instantly. If an error is made, like a double charge from a restaurant, again resolved almost instantly. I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you are accidentally overcharged with Strike, you are highly unlikely to ever find a human that will listen and help you. What happens with Strike if you return a product via the mail and the merchant doesn’t give you the money back?

When the comparison is being made to the early internet, then the product being discussed should be a no brainer for everyone. It’s a no brainer for you who I am guessing is very tech centric, but not for most others, so forgive me if I am having trouble trying to understand the unrelenting hype.

As for non Americans, this type of freedom isn’t going to fly in places like China, Russia, and other like places. Stable countries like the US and most of Europe it’s going to be a niche user, and poor countries where internet access is a real problem, not sure what merchants are going to be equipped to accept payment this way. There will be some places where it makes sense, Central and South America seem to be leading the way, but for most of the world it’s not going to matter all that much.

When a fraudulent charge ends up on my CC or debit card I get a call almost instantly, and if they miss it, I can see it on my account and get it resolved almost instantly. If an error is made, like a double charge from a restaurant, again resolved almost instantly. I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you are accidentally overcharged with Strike, you are highly unlikely to ever find a human that will listen and help you. What happens with Strike if you return a product via the mail and the merchant doesn’t give you the money back?
The early early internet was not user friendly for anyone. The early internet wasn't all that user friendly even for tech savvy people. That's about where we are in crypto's lifespan.

As far as fraudulent charges, you're asking what happens if a merchant doesn't approve a refund? I've had that happen with credit cards and paypal too, its really no different.

Folks that have read my posts know I like blockchain technology and I believe NFTs have a role in future society. However, in some ways, the whole coin/token ecosystem reminds me of a bunch of Amusement Parks like Fantasy Island (LBI) where you exchange cash for credits/tokens that you can then use to purchase goods from their gift shop or hold as investments. And those Amusement Parks are also trying to convince everyone that their tokens will all increase in value and eventually be accepted everywhere as a currency replacement. I just don’t see that ever happening which is why folks need to stick to the tech and forget the coin crap.

Folks that have read my posts know I like blockchain technology and I believe NFTs have a role in future society. However, in some ways, the whole coin/token ecosystem reminds me of a bunch of Amusement Parks like Fantasy Island (LBI) where you exchange cash for credits/tokens that you can then use to purchase goods from their gift shop or hold as investments. And those Amusement Parks are also trying to convince everyone that their tokens will all increase in value and eventually be accepted everywhere as a currency replacement. I just don’t see that ever happening which is why folks need to stick to the tech and forget the coin crap.
You're like the arcade and mini golf course in Ship Bottom who have filed suit trying to stop Fantasy Island from opening up a second location at the Old CVS on the Blvd 😂 Seriously though your point of view makes some sense, time will tell.

The early early internet was not user friendly for anyone. The early internet wasn't all that user friendly even for tech savvy people. That's about where we are in crypto's lifespan.
This. So few realize the struggles pre-Prodigy, pre-AOL, pre-ISDN or pre-@home or pre-dorm.

I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who ran an ISP to get us access.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Interesting development @bob-loblaw. Still in on helium?

I like the move, but I think Helium still has a looong way to go. The nodes and hotspots are paying out essentially garbage and there's little to no revenue being generated from a project that is so widely regarded as one of the primary web3 use cases. This thread was pretty rough to read

I've really stopped with any alts right now. I own a bunch of random coins/tokens that I'm upside down on. I had to laugh when I saw Lunc (original Luna) trending on Twitter. I grabbed a couple of hundred thousand of them when Luna was crashing to shit. I immediately regretted that decision. I wouldnt be surprised if there was an active meme campaign run in the next 6 - 8 mos trying to get that back to $1. It'll fail, but could be one of those idiotic trades many will luck into.

My two alts I always spoke on (DCR & ELA) are meddling along. Decred, switched from a hybrid PoW/PoS to an 80/20 PoS, which will kill the coin IMO.
ELA I keep patiently waiting for something to happen. Everything is built, operational decntralized web 3.0 you can dl and use. Low max coin circulation. Ample btc treasury reserves. New-ish Coinbase listing. Low market cap that just needs a spark.

Not that I'm expecting anything, but Lunc (formerly Luna) is up a few 100% from a month or 2 ago. Apparently a Dao has formed around the token and starting to burn it. Really curious now to see if the internet can meme it to .01 or .10.
I believe someone else also grabbed some here when I did.

Not that I'm expecting anything, but Lunc (formerly Luna) is up a few 100% from a month or 2 ago. Apparently a Dao has formed around the token and starting to burn it. Really curious now to see if the internet can meme it to .01 or .10.
There's a few people I follow on twitter who have talked about meming it to $1. Nothing would shock me

That was me. I threw a few bucks at .00022 and now its .00057, almost tripled my "investment".

Like clockwork there's now a ton of short interest in LUNC. If it hit $1 I'll be fast tracking the addition on my home I had planned in the next 5 years.

I dont foresee me expanding my home anytime soon.

I own about 5mm LUNC and bought it awhile ago at .00005 and forgot about it in a cold storage wallet. I see it’s now at .0005 so I guess I 10x that.
if that hit $1 it would be game Changing but highly unlikely

Reactions: bob-loblaw
I own about 5mm LUNC and bought it awhile ago at .00005 and forgot about it in a cold storage wallet. I see it’s now at .0005 so I guess I 10x that.
if that hit $1 it would be game Changing but highly unlikely
I bought a large amount of Doge during early covid 2020, right when some dopey tik tokers made it go viral hoping to get it to $1. I was happy to make a couple of hundred bucks in less than a week. Had I held another summer into Doge hysteria I would have made 6 figures. Moral of this is that anything is possible. Especially in the social media age where people can meme something into existence. I have to assume that there will be people drawn into this play seeing that the token was once $100.

I bought a large amount of Doge during early covid 2020, right when some dopey tik tokers made it go viral hoping to get it to $1. I was happy to make a couple of hundred bucks in less than a week. Had I held another summer into Doge hysteria I would have made 6 figures. Moral of this is that anything is possible. Especially in the social media age where people can meme something into existence. I have to assume that there will be people drawn into this play seeing that the token was once $100.
Yeah I agree…I totally forgot I even bought this as I made a few hundred on it over a few days awhile back and just kept whatever I had In There and moved it to ledger cold storage as a test as I got one for free.

Pipedreams aside, it looks like btc had a quick dip. Back over 21k.

I also see our inept government is exploring the possibility of banning PoW domestically. Be prepared for the cyber hornets to come out on anyone in support of such nonsense. It's also one of the most ignorantly foolish Defense steps the US can take

A lot here to digest...

Nothing I've been posting on ETH in the last week has anything to do with price. It's all about long term sustainability of the project relative to the changes they're about to implement. Enjoy the #buythenews moment

Lol. 1 person = corruptible. Sadly, his time will come

Yeah, a lot of the on chain people I follow seem to think we're going to go lower again. I think it all depends on the market, as it's still correlated unfort. If the market shits the bed further btc will follow.

I'll keep DCA'ing, which brings me to this loaded ramble of why.

Tesla still holds 25% of its btc holdings, what... a week after announcing layoffs? Musk has been adamant that he sold to have more CoH in uncertain times.

Yes, ES is down. And I havent seen any non biased (for or against) report on usage. Everything Ive read is either rah rah or the sky is falling. Obvi both are bullshit.

Who? Novagratz? who we all know is a pos. Dude took a MAJOR haircut on Luna.

And I'm sorry, Saylor and Jack stepping away as heads of their companies to focus on btc and development is a major major positive.

Yes fraud has been rampant across crypto and in particular defi. (web3 is going just great is a fun follow for this.) But I counter, how is thie different than any other market?

Cycles are 24/7.

Regulation in some manner will come.

Now why hodl? lol. Because it's going to the mooooon.
In all seriousness, it's sound permission-less, government-less digital assets that cannot be corrupted by any one entity, government or organization. And if the last 3 years have taught us anything, I simply no longer have faith in my government to do the right thing. Whether or not is policy, fiscal policy, proxy wars, news collusion, anything. I have grave concerns about the dollar as the global reserve currency. I have grave concerns about the US as the worlds superpower. I have grave concerns about our internal political system.

btc offers hope. Could I be wrong, sure. But to me, I'd much rather be wrong now, than have to explain to my child in 10 years why we dont own a btc, when a btc is north of 1mm. So yes, I hodl and continue to buy more, within my means. I dont mess with leverage. I just simply set limit orders and see if they get filled.

Literally nothing has changed to change my resolve. If anything, Blackrock getting in furthers my belief. If (when) a spot ETF gets approved, that will be another validator. We're two years from another supply halving, it's going to aggressively take flight again.

World Economic Forum loves ETH

Reactions: RUBlackout
Pipedreams aside, it looks like btc had a quick dip. Back over 21k.

I also see our inept government is exploring the possibility of banning PoW domestically. Be prepared for the cyber hornets to come out on anyone in support of such nonsense. It's also one of the most ignorantly foolish Defense steps the US can take
pow?

I bought 200k coins real early with some throw away money and rode to high .20s

Looks like the vote to move Helium to Solana is going to be approved. Helium looks to be first to market with their phone, Solana sometime next year. Will be interesting to see how they partner

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT