ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon/Whiskey

Have you had Connemara? It's a peated Irish whiskey. I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to whiskey but I know I like peat. If you've had that one, what's your opinion on it?

When I was in Ireland in the late 90s, we had lunch at one of the golf courses on a cooler, misty day. The bartender recommended this new peated Irish Whiskey and made us hot toddies with lemon, cloves and sugar in the raw (1/2 whiskey, half hot water). Turned out to be Connemara. We liked it so much we brought bottles home. For a few years, it wasn't available in the states. @RUInsanity brought me another bottle from that first release when he was in London a few months later. I still have that bottle in the original tube. For some reason, I've lost my taste for heavily peated whiskeys over the years, but I'll still make myself a hot toddy from time to time on a cold winter day.

Reactions: robcac26
Tried this as part of a flight at American Whiskey in NYC before the Michigan game. The others were Makers 46, which I've enjoyed very much previously, Legent and Garrison Brothers. I really liked the Breckinridge. The other two were not as good. The Garrison was overpriced swill.
Garrison Brothers is one of our clients; when they signed up with us they sent us a bottle. I've actually found it to be very good although I think it's way too expensive.

Rye fans, be on the lookout for WTRB Rye coming in the 3rd Quarter of 2020. WT101 Rye is one of my go to pours in the rye category.

So I was able to pick up a bottle of Blanton's today. I know the whisky snobs think it's overhyped and overpriced, but I wanted to try in, and it's one of those bottles that just looks good in your collection.

I'll be cracking it open on Sunday when they announce our name.

Also, last week I picked up an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, C919. 136.8 proof. Hot, hot, hot, but with an ice cube, deliciously sweet and flavorful.

So I was able to pick up a bottle of Blanton's today. I know the whisky snobs think it's overhyped and overpriced, but I wanted to try in, and it's one of those bottles that just looks good in your collection.

Also, last week I picked up an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, C919. 136.8 proof. Hot, hot, hot, but with an ice cube, deliciously sweet and flavorful.

Blanton's is great. But yes, my own feeling is that it's barely as good as brands that it now prices with. Ten bucks a bottle ago it was exceptional. Now... eh.

But you'll enjoy it, I can promise you that.

Reactions: CranfordKnight

I'm more an Irish Whiskey guy but do enjoy bourbon as well. I really like Blanton's - to me it's worth its MSRP and like all whiskey it suits some people's tastes and not others. I wouldn't pay secondary prices or over-priced attempts liquor stores but I generally wouldn't do that for any whiskey. Enjoy it!

I recently picked up a Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof - excellent. I do not like JD but on the advice of a friend (who is also not a JD fan) I decided to give it a go. I recommend it as it is a vastly different and superior to the standard stuff. Also picked up a bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof as I'm told it's also much better than the standard Larceny. Have not tried it though.

I'm thankful for my whiskey supply considering our inevitable 2 year house arrest quarantine :Laughing.

I really hope all you guys who are into the "barrel proof" spirits aren't drinking it straight up.

I think of it as a bottle extender. Get 20% more drinks when watered down.

You should always dilute anything that's greater than 86 proof, to ensure that you're getting all those good flavors released from the ethanol solution.

You should always dilute anything that's greater than 86 proof, to ensure that you're getting all those good flavors released from the ethanol solution.
Two questions while we are waiting for the world to end/RU in the NCAAs (same thing?):
1. What are your thoughts on ice? Believe most purists would only use water. I go both ways - can see/taste their point, but just kinda need a few cubes now and then.
2. I've been staring at your Old Spye avatar for a few years now. Any new developments there?

I generally try all higher proof whiskeys with a bit of water to explore tastes and see how I prefer it. I often prefer it it at full proof or light water. To say that you "should always dilute" is way too absolute. Taste and flavor preference is subjective. Each whiskey offers different things to different palates.

Two questions while we are waiting for the world to end/RU in the NCAAs (same thing?):
1. What are your thoughts on ice? Believe most purists would only use water. I go both ways - can see/taste their point, but just kinda need a few cubes now and then.
2. I've been staring at your Old Spye avatar for a few years now. Any new developments there?

I use ice. Even in single malt. I like to cool it down a bit, so I feel like since I paid for it, as long as I'm not doing anything completely insane it's all good.(one of my in-laws, a few weeks ago, came to my house for a party, filled a glass with ice, poured in a healthy amount of Eagle Rare and topped it off with Diet Coke. Yes, I threw something at him.)

Re: the distillery, I'm still hunting for the right facility. I had one lined up but we just couldn't rationalize the site's single failure, that being the lack of public sewage. I can get a high-speed sewage hook-up for about $100k, all in. It's not a cost that I had planned for, so I put that site on hold and have been looking for an alternate. I'm willing to wait for the right location - it has to be in either Sayreville or South Amboy. To be honest, I'm not in a huge hurry. My goal is to ease into production as a "semi-retirement plan", which gives me about another 2-3 years to work it all out. We'll get there, but we're taking our time and eliminating unnecessary risk. Thanks for asking, though.

I generally try all higher proof whiskeys with a bit of water to explore tastes and see how I prefer it. I often prefer it it at full proof or light water. To say that you "should always dilute" is way too absolute. Taste and flavor preference is subjective. Each whiskey offers different things to different palates.

Except that it's a fact of chemistry that if you're drinking anything over 43.5% ABV, you're not actually getting all the flavors. If it tastes good to you, fine - but you're not getting the full taste experience.

In terms of ice, drink how you like is most important. I prefer neat or water because I don't like to chill the whiskey. But if you don't mind ice then in the case of barrel or high proof whiskeys a large cube that slow melts could, in some sense, provide you the opportunity to try the same whiskey with different levels of dilution in one sitting.

I really hope all you guys who are into the "barrel proof" spirits aren't drinking it straight up.

I always try my whiskeys for the first time like this: first I pour about an ounce into a Glencairn and let it sit for 20 minutes. The first taste is straight, like a sip of coffee that I then chew on. Then I put a drop or two of water and take my next sip. Finally, I drop an ice cube in it to finish off the sample. In reality I drink most things on the rocks, but I am trying to teach myself how to recognize the different flavors, mouth feel, and finish. To be honest, I get a kick out of most "tasting notes" on review sites. The only one I was able to really recognize was Gentleman Jack. If you've never tried it, I encourage you to experience the world's first distilled banana juice.

Except that it's a fact of chemistry that if you're drinking anything over 43.5% ABV, you're not actually getting all the flavors. If it tastes good to you, fine - but you're not getting the full taste experience.

How those tastes may interact with one another and an individual's palate is not uniform. So getting the full tasting experience isn't always the best experience. The same can be said for adding ice as it impacts different whiskeys in different ways.

The point is there are no absolutes with drinking whiskey. Drink it how you like it. But I think your comments do point out the importance of trying it with and without water or ice to be sure you find the best way you can enjoy each whiskey.

I'm more an Irish Whiskey guy but do enjoy bourbon as well. I really like Blanton's - to me it's worth its MSRP and like all whiskey it suits some people's tastes and not others. I wouldn't pay secondary prices or over-priced attempts liquor stores but I generally wouldn't do that for any whiskey. Enjoy it!

I recently picked up a Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof - excellent. I do not like JD but on the advice of a friend (who is also not a JD fan) I decided to give it a go. I recommend it as it is a vastly different and superior to the standard stuff. Also picked up a bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof as I'm told it's also much better than the standard Larceny. Have not tried it though.

I'm thankful for my whiskey supply considering our inevitable 2 year house arrest quarantine :Laughing.

I picked up a bottle of Sexton's Irish Whiskey last week (I'm a Bushmill's Black Bush guy normally) and I enjoyed it. Very light and sweet, so easy to drink. Like Blanton's I was attracted to the bottle, lol. Makes the shelf look better. What really knocked me out was the nose. It smells like a peated whiskey, a little unpleasant to me, but doesn't really taste that way, so it was an odd juxtaposition.

I picked up a bottle of Sexton's Irish Whiskey last week (I'm a Bushmill's Black Bush guy normally) and I enjoyed it. Very light and sweet, so easy to drink. Like Blanton's I was attracted to the bottle, lol. Makes the shelf look better. What really knocked me out was the nose. It smells like a peated whiskey, a little unpleasant to me, but doesn't really taste that way, so it was an odd juxtaposition.

If you want to explore Irish whiskey more I'd suggest you grab Powers Gold Label or Writer's Tears if you see them. There are lots of others I suggest but those two are good <$40 places to start.

Last edited:
Sorry if this was posted somewhere else in the thread. I'm definitely NOT an educated whiskey person, but I was tempted the other day when I saw a bottle of Jameson "Caskmates . . . Stout Edition." I'm big into Guinness and Murphy's during the cold months, so was intrigued to give it a try. Without much to compare it to, I think it's pretty good. I add a bit of water to it. Anyone in the know on this enough to weigh in? Curious to know whether it's supposed to be good or not. Online reviews were positive.

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else in the thread. I'm definitely NOT an educated whiskey person, but I was tempted the other day when I saw a bottle of Jameson "Caskmates . . . Stout Edition." I'm big into Guinness and Murphy's during the cold months, so was intrigued to give it a try. Without much to compare it to, I think it's pretty good. I add a bit of water to it. Anyone in the know on this enough to weigh in? Curious to know whether it's supposed to be good or not. Online reviews were positive.

The Jameson Caskmates series is good drinking. Basically, they're aging their product as normal then finishing it (an additional aging) in either stout or IPA casks. It's just enough to impart a little bit of additional flavor to the spirit.

The Caskmates are quite popular. I generally pair them with a pint of stout or IPA. I've got bottles of each and not sure I'll replace the bottles but that's just based on my preference. They're not bad but I've got others I want to crack open and/or buy. For instance, I have a West Cork stout finish that I haven't cracked open yet. I've got a Clonakilty finished in New England Brewing IPA casks that's not bad and they have a stout on the way next month that I'll look to try.

Lots of great stuff to try in the Irish whiskey world.

Not a bourbon drinker at all and drank Woodford Reserve couple weeks ago. I've had makers and gingerale and bourbons here or there, four roses, but this Woodford was the first time i actually enjoyed it. I'm a creature of habit, but any other bourbons you suggest as stepping stones?

Wine Anthology in Clark has 3 bottles of Blanton's behind the counter for $80 and about 6 bottles of Eagle Rare on the shelf for $35. Get 'em before it's too late, because these don't show up around here often.

Not a bourbon drinker at all and drank Woodford Reserve couple weeks ago. I've had makers and gingerale and bourbons here or there, four roses, but this Woodford was the first time i actually enjoyed it. I'm a creature of habit, but any other bourbons you suggest as stepping stones?
Big fan of WR hitting it rite now

Going with the Japanese stuff tonight. Have not had this in a while totally different tast then Im used to compared to my Islay's. Has more of a bourbon taste IMO

49660533272_0f5976aeb3_c.jpg

Just opened a bottle of Baker's single barrel 107 proof.
Whew...
Glad my cuffs are tied.

Anyone get their hands on the Larceny BP? Been hard as hell to find, even moreso now with everything going on. Fortunately liquor stores are considered essential and therefore are still open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT