ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Class Act by Lobo Football

At this point I'm not sure said poster qualifies as human.
in other words ,that poster is this:
elvis-elvis-presley.gif

Class move. Sure beats the basketball teams having a shooting last year.
are you referring former New Mexico State basketball player Mike Peake being involved in a fatal shooting in the New Mexico campus.
Seems like he acted in self defense and wasn't charged with a crime.
It was determined Peake acted in self-defense.
Authorities said Brandon Travis, a 19-year-old University of New Mexico student and two other men assaulted Peake with a baseball bat in a dormitory parking lot as part of a revenge plot stemming from a fight last October in Las Cruces.

👆👆👆this needed to be said. Also tired of our tax dollars funding these organizations. Many of these groups are supported by the government. Just stop with all the nonsense of all these virtue signaling organizations. Our tax dollars should not be supporting corporations, non profits and charities at all.

Indeed, the pink cancer socks (only $6 of $100 to NFL went to - ahem- "research") the fake TD runs pushing kids up the field in wheelchairs (Flood did that one - just teases kids really)). All just superficial, feel-good styrofoam. Let guys play a football game without the therapeutic nonsense injected. Good people dont need stunts to feel good - that's for the low T Normies who live like jellyfish while the world falls apart around them. Oh but they did the "Leaf Rake for Dyslexia" lol

This is psychotic

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I think you might be giving his post a far more serious, reasonable and measured response that it warranted.

To his way of thinking, kindness and generosity and even, gasp, empathy🤮, combine to form the evil axis of doom. Indeed, he feels that purity and goodness can only be achieved by adding lots of hashtags to one's forum signature.
Wrong mild, empathy and charity are fine…for individuals to support with their own money…go for it! What I am talking about the prolific growth of state sponsored charities, non profits, NGO’s, universities, arts organizations, Hospitals and on and on and on.
The United States is $33 Trillion dollars in debt, we got here because our government at every level cannot say no to anything where someone makes a case that it will help someone or save a life or save an animals life, or prevent drug addiction or get someone off the streets and a million other things. The growth of the administrative state is choking our entire society to death and part of that is the growth of state sponsored charity. Enough is enough, we need to stop funding all this at the local, county, state and federal levels with our taxes. It is never enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
are you referring former New Mexico State basketball player Mike Peake being involved in a fatal shooting in the New Mexico campus.
Seems like he acted in self defense and wasn't charged with a crime.
It was determined Peake acted in self-defense.
Authorities said Brandon Travis, a 19-year-old University of New Mexico student and two other men assaulted Peake with a baseball bat in a dormitory parking lot as part of a revenge plot stemming from a fight last October in Las Cruces.
That is it. This was supposedly payback for a fight between the two schools teams. Interesting that he brought a gun to what he thought was a meet up with a girl. Some weeks later, the police stopped and searched the team bus. On which they found evidence from the shooting.

It's a good reminder of value of coaching and mentoring, because you may get an opportunity to provide a life perspective that might otherwise be missing from a kids development into a well formed adult.
" “That stuff is bigger than football, which is awesome because I know these are two teams who have great passion against each other, but that’s coming together as a human being,” said Head Lobo football coach Danny Gonzales."

Indeed, the pink cancer socks (only $6 of $100 to NFL went to - ahem- "research") the fake TD runs pushing kids up the field in wheelchairs (Flood did that one - just teases kids really)). All just superficial, feel-good styrofoam. Let guys play a football game without the therapeutic nonsense injected. Good people dont need stunts to feel good - that's for the low T Normies who live like jellyfish while the world falls apart around them. Oh but they did the "Leaf Rake for Dyslexia" lol

This is psychotic
Wrong mild, empathy and charity are fine…for individuals to support with their own money…go for it! What I am talking about the prolific growth of state sponsored charities, non profits, NGO’s, universities, arts organizations, Hospitals and on and on and on.
The United States is $33 Trillion dollars in debt, we got here because our government at every level cannot say no to anything where someone makes a case that it will help someone or save a life or save an animals life, or prevent drug addiction or get someone off the streets and a million other things. The growth of the administrative state is choking our entire society to death and part of that is the growth of state sponsored charity. Enough is enough, we need to stop funding all this at the local, county, state and federal levels with our taxes. It is never enough!

And how much did it cost the government for the Lobo players to partner up with a special needs child? THAT'S the subject of this thread.

lol -call me when high school or college FOOTBALL can exist without ridiculous amounts of tax money for the vast majority of teams. 99% of the benefit of team sports to students can be achieved with intermural teams at very little cost. Turb fields and lights at every HS for 6 FNL games a year - give me a sanctimonious break. The head coach started the summer camp the participants came from because this issue affects his family personally. What an absurd gripe. You guys have no idea how much gear is tossed around in these sports programs, or who paid for what.

Honestly, this was an excellent, positive thread and we really need to ignore the wingnuts who tried to derail it. They are clearly outliers here and there's only two of them.

And how much did it cost the government for the Lobo players to partner up with a special needs child? THAT'S the subject of this thread.

I never metnioned costs
I'm just tired of so many "causes" trying to hijack football.

Charties, non-profits, "social" causes are too numerous and cant get the notice they want so they try to latch on to sports and especially football. The NFL's pink sock charade excited every cause under the sun and that's how football became choked-up with medical, psychological, political causes. Most of it is useless. I had melanoma once and would not want to see melanoma crap in a football game

This is a real post? Seriously? A key component of every program should be giving back to communities. Live the expectations of your program in life.

The cornerstone of the programs I have coaches have been living our core values in;

1. The community
2. The classroom
3. The off-season
4. The field.
I disagree..for a program to be successful, they "must focus on three things. And three things only. Your family. Your religion. And the Green Bay Packers."

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Meh - weary of all the stunts, non-profits, marches for this, bikings for that, 10ks for this 5ks for that. Its all womanish. Leave sports sports and stop with the therapeutic marketing . Do it on the side.
I'm torn as to which is worse: this post or the fact that 2 ppl read this post and felt motivated to publicly like it. ppl are just batshit crazy in 2023

Reactions: Kbee3
I'm torn as to which is worse: this post or the fact that 2 ppl read this post and felt motivated to publicly like it. ppl are just batshit crazy in 2023
Did not "like" it.. but all should be able to admit there is something to the point in a very general sense. It is wrong to denigrate this specific example to make such a point.. but, come on.. all the special uniforms that honor this or that and so on.. during a time when we see the Michigan State coach using one of these social welfare movements to try to get laid... come on, guys... when something doesn't seem to make any sense.. like that poster's criticism of this New Mexico example.. TRY a little bit to find the logic in there. TRY to understand just a little bit harder.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Did not "like" it.. but all should be able to admit there is something to the point in a very general sense. It is wrong to denigrate this specific example to make such a point.. but, come on.. all the special uniforms that honor this or that and so on.. during a time when we see the Michigan State coach using one of these social welfare movements to try to get laid... come on, guys... when something doesn't seem to make any sense.. like that poster's criticism of this New Mexico example.. TRY a little bit to find the logic in there. TRY to understand just a little bit harder.
Or try to stay on topic and keep this thread to what it is — specific to the New Mexico football team’s meaningful gesture to a marginalized portion of their community.

Ummm, no, I'm good. I can recognize and comprehend idiocy when I see it and read it.

Reactions: fsg2 and Kbee3
agree, wrong example
agree, general intimation is spot on

@ashokan - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the things done for my son Tyler when he was sick and in treatment had a significant impact on him. Even though he was only 9 years old, he won't forget the UVA players who visited him when he was first hospitalized down there in Virginia, then what was done for him up here during and after his treatment at MSK by Tim Pernetti, Coach Flood and the RU Football Team.

Oh, and RAHWAYBOB and his attempt to take this political have been removed from this thread. You can disagree, even vehemently, but keep the political slander out of it.

@ashokan - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the things done for my son Tyler when he was sick and in treatment had a significant impact on him. Even though he was only 9 years old, he won't forget the UVA players who visited him when he was first hospitalized down there in Virginia, then what was done for him up here during and after his treatment at MSK by Tim Pernetti, Coach Flood and the RU Football Team.

Oh, and RAHWAYBOB and his attempt to take this political have been removed from this thread. You can disagree, even vehemently, but keep the political slander out of it.
Thank you for sharing that. I have been lucky enough to be part of Rutgers Athletics visits on both the pediatric and adult sides in a hospital and it has been a tremendous experience for everyone involved. I was very proud of all the athletes who came and represented Rutgers with such class. The patients and staff loved the visits too. We have a great group of athletes across many sports.

The only drawback was that members of the hoops team saw me as a museum exhibit when I told them that I had season tickets longer than they had been alive.

The only drawback was that members of the hoops team saw me as a museum exhibit when I told them that I had season tickets longer than they had been alive.

Did they offer to help you with your walker?
5V6RYAJ.gif

Maybe dude should TRY a little harder to make his point(s) in a space in which vaguely relevant. Rather than just being a "look at me, Im different!!" self-contradicting contrarian.

Same guy telling us how society is mere hours away from debauching itself out of existence has problems with charity work with kids? My eyes are too small to give that enough of a roll.

Reactions: Kbee3
That is it. This was supposedly payback for a fight between the two schools teams. Interesting that he brought a gun to what he thought was a meet up with a girl. Some weeks later, the police stopped and searched the team bus. On which they found evidence from the shooting.
where guns are legal to carry , many will take them just about everywhere and he might not have felt safe where he was meeting that girl.
Court documents say Travis, Smith, the 17-year-old female and the third person conspired to lure Peake to the UNM campus and assault him.
As for :
Some weeks later, the police stopped and searched the team bus. On which they found evidence from the shooting.
I guess that what they found didn't disprove the NMST player acted in self defense and that incident shouldn't be a reason to look at what the Lobos are doing for special needs children as something to find a reason to make it look like it has an ulterior motive rather than a nice jesture

Maybe dude should TRY a little harder to make his point(s) in a space in which vaguely relevant. Rather than just being a "look at me, Im different!!" self-contradicting contrarian.

Same guy telling us how society is mere hours away from debauching itself out of existence has problems with charity work with kids? My eyes are too small to give that enough of a roll.
"Same guy"... that's what much of the intensity is mostly about, isn't it? Maybe he should have made an alt-handle to post his objectionable take on the topic like some people here do. Then you could more easily focus on what was said rather than who said it.

To be clear, OP is correct.. it was a class act and continues to be so.

"Same guy"... that's what much of the intensity is mostly about, isn't it? Maybe he should have made an alt-handle to post his objectionable take on the topic like some people here do. Then you could more easily focus on what was said rather than who said it.

No. It's about the comment.

History ain't his ally, tho. Nor yours, for that matter.

I don’t even know who the guy is. The comment was absurd on its own. The impact this will have on those kids is immeasurable.

I don’t even know who the guy is. The comment was absurd on its own. The impact this will have on those kids is immeasurable.
But did he say it wouldn't? If they did not seek publicity for it then it would have the same positive effect.. would it not? He did not even say not to do it.

"Meh - weary of all the stunts, non-profits, marches for this, bikings for that, 10ks for this 5ks for that. Its all womanish. Leave sports sports and stop with the therapeutic marketing . Do it on the side."

But did he say it wouldn't? If they did not seek publicity for it then it would have the same positive effect.. would it not? He did not even say not to do it.

"Meh - weary of all the stunts, non-profits, marches for this, bikings for that, 10ks for this 5ks for that. Its all womanish. Leave sports sports and stop with the therapeutic marketing . Do it on the side."
I heard about it on this board, not the nightly news.

Out of all the things to twist yourself into knots defending.

There's not a defensible syllable in that ill-worded mini nervous breakdown.

The Iowa wave was publicized by it happening during a game. Should the broadcasters have ignored it? NM seems to be word of mouth, though I:m willing to be correct. It was the wrong damn thread for his post.

The Iowa wave was publicized by it happening during a game. Should the broadcasters have ignored it? NM seems to be word of mouth, though I:m willing to be correct. It was the wrong damn thread for his post.
Iowa wave involves no money, no ask for money or promotion of any charity. It's imply waving to kids undergoing what is most likely, the most traumatic and scary times of their lives.

bad example on your part

Iowa wave involves no money, no ask for money or promotion of any charity. It's imply waving to kids undergoing what is most likely, the most traumatic and scary times of their lives.

bad example on your part

The Lobos meet that criteria (no money, no promotion of any charity) which is the subject of this thread, as well. So what in this thread caused the objections?

The Lobos meet that criteria (no money, no promotion of any charity) which is the subject of this thread, as well. So what in this thread caused the objections?
Well.. the response being objected to was the poster voicing his own reaction to such stories in a general way. It did not claim any specific objection to this NM story. I just don't get why some people here are so bent out of shape over such a comment.

There is an orgy of hate thrown at the guy for merely stating an unpopular opinion. And the haters seem to be patting each other on the back over it... oh yeah.. look how enlightened I am.. that guy is a subhuman jerk.

If you all think he is so low, so down in the gutter.. why make such a concerted effort to go join him there? Why not simply make supportive comments of the OP? Yes, @mdk01, that's exactly how you initially reacted.. to your credit.

• Love
Well.. the response being objected to was the poster voicing his own reaction to such stories in a general way. It did not claim any specific objection to this NM story. I just don't get why some people here are so bent out of shape over such a comment.

There is an orgy of hate thrown at the guy for merely stating an unpopular opinion. And the haters seem to be patting each other on the back over it... oh yeah.. look how enlightened I am.. that guy is a subhuman jerk.

If you all think he is so low, so down in the gutter.. why make such a concerted effort to go join him there? Why not simply make supportive comments of the OP? Yes, @mdk01, that's exactly how you initially reacted.. to your credit.

“Orgy of hate”

Cool band name.

His first reaction to the news was "meh".....and he called such gestures "womanish". Not sure how you interpret that to only be "in a general way". You appear to be purposely playing devil's advocate. His comments can be interpreted as meant to provoke and that is what happened. The visceral response he received in this thread is warranted IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT