ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney World

A lot of good advice in this thread. We take our kids to Disney at least once a year. Two periods with very low crowds are early February and the last two weeks of August. You'll appreciate the lower crowd volume when you visit in August.

Don't worry so much about the heat during that time. If you plan indoor dining and make reservations spaced out right for lunch and dinner, that's a big plus as you can enjoy the AC and some nice quality meals. It sounds like you're doing Hollywood Studios. We always try to eat at Brown Derby and 50s Prime Time at that park. Nice places to have a meal with your family. Baseline Taphouse is another nice place for drinks and appetizers at Hollywood Studios.

I'll be honest and say the sit down restaurants at MK are not on par with Hollywood Studios or Epcot but your grandchild may like Be Our Guest -- the atmosphere and meeting characters is what you're paying for here. The food itself is nothing spectacular.

I'll throw one option to think about if you want to also spend some time at a resort near Hollywood Studios. I would highly recommend Beach or Yacht Club. They share a pool that is the best on Disney property for kids. If you want to use the resort for its pool, dining options, and proximity to all of the Disney Boardwalk options for dining, this place is perfect. It's about a 10 minute walk too to Epcot and around 20 minutes by foot to Hollywood Studios. As others said, the logistics of getting to the park and back to your room is important. My 6 and 10 year old kids don't mind the walk. If you have folks with any disabilities you can also opt to take a ferry from the resort to either park. Overall, for Disney standards, it's a good deluxe resort and its pool is just the best for younger kids.

You'll need to have someone in your group do a lot of planning. At least you have ample time to plan but try to do everything as early as you can with all the various reservations. Good luck and have fun.
Best sit down restaurant at MK is easily Jungle Skipper Canteen but it's also a bit adventurous to those used to regular theme park fare .

A lot of good advice in this thread. We take our kids to Disney at least once a year. Two periods with very low crowds are early February and the last two weeks of August. You'll appreciate the lower crowd volume when you visit in August.

Don't worry so much about the heat during that time. If you plan indoor dining and make reservations spaced out right for lunch and dinner, that's a big plus as you can enjoy the AC and some nice quality meals. It sounds like you're doing Hollywood Studios. We always try to eat at Brown Derby and 50s Prime Time at that park. Nice places to have a meal with your family. Baseline Taphouse is another nice place for drinks and appetizers at Hollywood Studios.

I'll be honest and say the sit down restaurants at MK are not on par with Hollywood Studios or Epcot but your grandchild may like Be Our Guest -- the atmosphere and meeting characters is what you're paying for here. The food itself is nothing spectacular.

I'll throw one option to think about if you want to also spend some time at a resort near Hollywood Studios. I would highly recommend Beach or Yacht Club. They share a pool that is the best on Disney property for kids. If you want to use the resort for its pool, dining options, and proximity to all of the Disney Boardwalk options for dining, this place is perfect. It's about a 10 minute walk too to Epcot and around 20 minutes by foot to Hollywood Studios. As others said, the logistics of getting to the park and back to your room is important. My 6 and 10 year old kids don't mind the walk. If you have folks with any disabilities you can also opt to take a ferry from the resort to either park. Overall, for Disney standards, it's a good deluxe resort and its pool is just the best for younger kids.

You'll need to have someone in your group do a lot of planning. At least you have ample time to plan but try to do everything as early as you can with all the various reservations. Good luck and have fun.
Staying at the yacht club as we speak. I second this recommendation. Great location and feels like a higher end hotel

At 72 years of age you are more aware of heat index of 108 which it was on 2 days . You can always cool off inside a restaurant or store or of course the rides.

We will not be going until the end of August 2024.

So it will be hot

My daughter is a teacher so we need to book around that

I am told the last 2 weeks of August are basically people from NJ and NY because all the people from the south are back to school

Crowds are supposedly reasonable
This is all accurate. Lower crowds, but hot and humid weather. A day at Typhon Lagoon would be ideal to cool off and have fun! Here is a pretty accurate crowd calendar:

disney-world-2022-2023-crowd-calendar-best-times-to-go-13-735x1372.png

Reactions: tom1944
It might impact it, but it's nowhere as bad as when they were rebuilding the lobby, transitioning a few long houses to DVC, when they redid the one pool or the when they built the bungalows.

Plus Disney is usually pretty good only doing construction during the day when most people are at the parks.
Rebuilding the lobby? You mean, tearing the heart and soul out of the resort! Also, those stupid bungalows gotta go. They wreck the view and harm the vibe of the place.

Last edited:
We are staying in the park for sure

Cost will not matter

Look into renting Disney Vacation Club points. You have to do it way in advance but it tends to be cheaper than renting an actual room. There are websites that do the rentals - David's DVC and DVC Rental Store are two I recall.

Like someone mentioned, we stayed at Bay Lake Tower and it was a great location. We could walk to Magic Kingdom and then hop on the Monorail at Contemporary to get to the Polynesian for a character breakfast and then to Epcot. Being able to walk to the hotel from Magic Kingdom came in handy one night when we stayed for the Christmas Party (we went in mid-November a few years ago). When the party (fireworks) start to wind down, people bolt to leave and the Monorail station is total chaos.

We avoided buses for other parks. We used Lyft. Yeah it cost us a bit more but it was easy. FWIW, my kids were 7, 5 and 2 at the time we went.

Last edited:
Younger children are normally most interested in the Magic Kingdom, as such, plan your accommodations wisely.
Thinking Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios

As in, think about the logistics. Spend more money to be close to the park (even if you reduce the trip by a day or two).
Yes I want to know which hotels are closest
Is 5 days enough time
When I was a kid my parents stayed close and we went to the park in the morning. Came back to the hotel and pool for a few hours and if we wanted to we went back to the park at night. Staying close made that easy

- Look into the resorts on the monorail and also Wilderness Lodge (which has a direct boat to MK). We personally stay at Bay Lake Tower, which is the villa building of the Contemporary Resort. Best location! Very child friend pool and water area.
I think for us the Contemporary seems to make the most sense at least for a few days
Does it make sense to switch hotels to get close to the 2nd park we plan to go to?

- Plan to stay 5-7 nights
Thanks. Makes sense

- DO NOT TRY TO DO EVERYTHING! WDW is way too big and it would be way too hectic to check all boxes.
- Remember, you are only as strong as your WEAKEST LINK. Which means, don't push the 5-year old too much. If she starts a downward spiral in a park, you are all going down too! LOL.
That is why I want to be close so we can take her back to the room if needed to nap or at least relax

- Plan to spend the majority of your time at the Magic Kingdom, especially if your granddaughter is a "repeater". As in, if she likes a ride, she wants to do it again and again. My daughter is like this.
- The second park recommendation should be based on her interests. Does she like animals? Then go to Animal Kingdom. If she is into Star Wars (probably not) or Toy Story, perhaps Hollywood Studios is best. If she would like to see national pavilions and shows, then Epcot!
My initial thought is plan on 2 parks and a water park at most

- At 5 years old, there are some rides she won't be tall enough for. Check on this.
I believe this is how we determine what the second park will be
- Plan for downtime during the midday. We all need some rest, especially kids.
Absolutely
- Is your granddaughter a waterbug? If yes, try Typhon Lagoon. Best water park!
Thanks for that recommendation
Good idea with MK and Hollywood Studios. I would spend 2/3 to 3/4 of your time at MK. HS is a good walkable park with a bunch of things for young kids.

We seem to agree on logistics. Target BLT or the Contemporary. BLT has villas and more elbow room. They also have full kitchens, if that would be useful. The Contemporary has traditional hotel rooms. You can use the pools and amenities at either place. The Grand Concourse at the Contemp has a great quick-serve eatery and Chef Mickeys which has all the main characters for meeting. The California Grill on the top/15th floor of the Contemp is awesome for a fancier dinner. You can see the MK and Seven Seas Lagoon, so the view is a big hit with kids!

Good idea to focus on 2 parks and a water park. That's plenty for 6 days or so. One other thing to plan for is a few super special experiences for your GD. Does she like Princesses? Book a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table. This is a restaurant in the castle! You also get to meet a ton of princesses. Is she into fireworks? Perhaps a private fireworks cruise for the family? The Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show is corny as hell, but a blast (and an easy boat ride from BLT/Contemp). A few years ago, my daughter was selected as a volunteer and got to help with the final song on stage. Got the video on my phone! :)

There are tons of extra special experiences/meals. Just depends on what she likes.

Good idea with MK and Hollywood Studios. I would spend 2/3 to 3/4 of your time at MK. HS is a good walkable park with a bunch of things for young kids.

We seem to agree on logistics. Target BLT or the Contemporary. BLT has villas and more elbow room. They also have full kitchens, if that would be useful. The Contemporary has traditional hotel rooms. You can use the pools and amenities at either place. The Grand Concourse at the Contemp has a great quick-serve eatery and Chef Mickeys which has all the main characters for meeting. The California Grill on the top/15th floor of the Contemp is awesome for a fancier dinner. You can see the MK and Seven Seas Lagoon, so the view is a big hit with kids!

Good idea to focus on 2 parks and a water park. That's plenty for 6 days or so. One other thing to plan for is a few super special experiences for your GD. Does she like Princesses? Book a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table. This is a restaurant in the castle! You also get to meet a ton of princesses. Is she into fireworks? Perhaps a private fireworks cruise for the family? The Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show is corny as hell, but a blast (and an easy boat ride from BLT/Contemp). A few years ago, my daughter was selected as a volunteer and got to help with the final song on stage. Got the video on my phone! :)

There are tons of extra special experiences/meals. Just depends on what she likes.

We did the Cinderella Royal Table as well. But after we had dropped an ungodly amount of money on the meal, a friend told us we should have skipped it and eaten at Akershus in Norway in Epcot. It also has most of the princesses' and was cheaper and less chaotic.

We did enjoy our meal at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom. We were in the side room with the changing painting, etc. You typically don't get the best food in Disney. In other words if you are looking for Michelin level food given the prices, prepare to be disappointed. But honestly, the meal at Be Our Guest was actually pretty good, relatively speaking.

Worst meal was Mama Melrose in Hollywood Studios. People seem to like it but our meals were blah.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
Took our daughters when they were 5 and 7. I told my wife we should wait a few years until they were older and they would enjoy it more. I was right.

We did the Cinderella Royal Table as well. But after we had dropped an ungodly amount of money on the meal, a friend told us we should have skipped it and eaten at Akershus in Norway in Epcot. It also has most of the princesses' and was cheaper and less chaotic.

We did enjoy our meal at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom. We were in the side room with the changing painting, etc.
Yes, CRT is very expensive, but quite an experience for kids. Be Our Guest is one of our favorite restaurants. We always do a dinner there so we can take a photo with the Beast. The West Wing room with the enchanted rose is the best!

Yes, CRT is very expensive, but quite an experience for kids. Be Our Guest is one of our favorite restaurants. We always do a dinner there so we can take a photo with the Beast. The West Wing room with the enchanted rose is the best!

Kids really liked Be Our Guest even the dessert at the end.

We've only gone once with kids and probably will go back next November. From what I can gather, if you want some good meals you are more likely to find it in Epcot. But we only ate that the Japanese Hibachi place. It was pretty decent and the kids liked it.

I wanted to try Polynesian next November, one of their DVC rooms. But the construction thing has me questioning that. I think the existing DVC rooms are on the other side of the resort away from the new DVC construction. What about the restaurants and lobby? Are/Will they be done by then?

For you that's called a selfie...😁

Wife and daughter want a trip to DW for granddaughter the summer after she turns 5.

Not my idea of a vacation but I realize it will have to happen

For all you Disney people what do you recommend

where to stay
How many days
What parks
Any other recommendations

Base it on what you have to do for a 5 year old

Thanks
A lot of great advice. Years ago, we used the Mousesavers website quite a bit. Not sure if it still has useful info, but it was gold to us. BTW, we had a friend who owned a home about 15-20 minutes from the Disney Parks. Everybody is different in their needs/likes, but we had a wonderful time despite not staying in one of the Disney properties. But we were able to relax and unwind in a huge house with a pool and a hot tub all to ourselves. Our friend sold the house, so it is not available!

One other thing to consider. If you are Marriott points holder, the Dolphin and Swan are two Marriott hotels inside the park gates. They aren't on the Monorail system. They are located near Epcot. It's not close but also not a far walk to Epcot. From Epcot you could take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. There is also a new Skyliner at the one Epcot entrance that would take you to Hollywood Studios.

Kids really liked Be Our Guest even the dessert at the end.

We've only gone once with kids and probably will go back next November. From what I can gather, if you want some good meals you are more likely to find it in Epcot. But we only ate that the Japanese Hibachi place. It was pretty decent and the kids liked it.

I wanted to try Polynesian next November, one of their DVC rooms. But the construction thing has me questioning that. I think the existing DVC rooms are on the other side of the resort away from the new DVC construction. What about the restaurants and lobby? Are/Will they be done by then?
Yes, Epcot is overall the best for restaurants. Via Napoli in Italy is probably our #1 fav in all of WDW. La Hacienda in Mexico is awesome. We also enjoy the Garden Grill in the Land for a family style meal with Mickey and friends. Tons of great places in Epcot! Too bad that half the park is still a crater! LOL. The middle of Future World is still being rebuilt.

The current DVC rooms at the Poly at only studios, which are essentially glorified hotel rooms. No idea why. It was a stupid idea. However, you are correct. All of them are on the other side of the resort near the Transportation & Ticket Center. The construction is on the Grand Floridian side. I hate where and what is being built. It's not going to match the rest of the resort well. However, it will contain 1BR and 2BR villas, so the Poly is finally getting more room types. The Great Ceremonial House lobby and restaurants aren't under construction that I'm aware of.

One other thing to consider. If you are Marriott points holder, the Dolphin and Swan are two Marriott hotels inside the park gates. They aren't on the Monorail system. They are located near Epcot. It's not close but also not a far walk to Epcot. From Epcot you could take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. There is also a new Skyliner at the one Epcot entrance that would take you to Hollywood Studios.
The Swam and Dolphin (and also Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk resorts) are all in a great location if you are focused on Epcot and/or Hollywood Studios. Short walks or boat rides to either park. Also right next to Fantasia Gardens for mini-golf! :)

Yes, Epcot is overall the best for restaurants. Via Napoli in Italy is probably our #1 fav in all of WDW. La Hacienda in Mexico is awesome. We also enjoy the Garden Grill in the Land for a family style meal with Mickey and friends. Tons of great places in Epcot! Too bad that half the park is still a crater! LOL. The middle of Future World is still being rebuilt.

The current DVC rooms at the Poly at only studios, which are essentially glorified hotel rooms. No idea why. It was a stupid idea. However, you are correct. All of them are on the other side of the resort near the Transportation & Ticket Center. The construction is on the Grand Floridian side. I hate where and what is being built. It's not going to match the rest of the resort well. However, it will contain 1BR and 2BR villas, so the Poly is finally getting more room types. The Great Ceremonial House lobby and restaurants aren't under construction that I'm aware of.

Yeah the studio thing is weird but honestly, for us, it would work. We don't spend a ton of time around the room anyway. But when you see some of the other DVC offerings, you can see why Disney is pouring money into that new spot on the other side of the hotel.

I was told that with a 5 year old plan on Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios as the main parks to visit.

I planned to stay at the Contemporary because it is the closest to MK. Would switching hotels after a few days make sense and stay at a hotel closest to Hollywood Studios

Also is 5 days long enough?

Is the boat to the resorts better or as good as being able to walk into the parks from certain hotels?
Monorail runs clockwise, so Contemporsry is first stop after MK but 4 stops to go there.

Just got back last week. Did week at Polynesian. Similar to Nick, had room that faced the lake so could watch fireworks. We often went outside.

Would recommend staying on site as it's just easier to take monorail or buses, although it's clearly more expensive. We also did Club Level at Poly which gives you access to 24/7 lounge with drinks, food, alcohol. Was great for breakfast every morning, snacking after park, and drinks at night.

Depending on when you go, the pool could be huge asset. Our daughters arguably loved the pool / water slides at Poly more than anything else. Also depending on timing, they have certain nights at Magic Kingdom where they do holiday themed stuff. We did the Halloween parade one night, which clearly is extra, but kids loved it.

Would recommend 2 days at MK. I really liked Animal Kingdom and would do that as well. Epcot isn't bad but if you have a grand daughter that's where the Elsa ride is.

I thought Hollywood Studies was bleh. It was out last day and post parade night, but just not that much to do IMO.

FWIW, we were there 6 days (Sunday to Friday, flew back Sat AM). We hit all four parks. Hollywood Day One (just for late afternoon, early evening), Epcot Day 2, MK Days 3 and 4, Animal Kingdom Day 5 and Hollywood again Day 6.

Two days in MK is a must.

I heard you need reservations to get into the park now….I haven’t been in a Disney park in 6-7 years so I don’t know if that is correct. Maybe others can elaborate.

Few other points...

- We did Hotel day, MK, Animal, MK, Epcot / MK Halloween, Hollywood, home
- Makes no sense to switch hotels
- It takes a shit ton of planning
- This will stress parents out way more than kids who don't care
- You need lightning lane without question

Lastly, you're going to love it. My parents came when girls were 3/5 and I was so special for all of them. They were supposed to come with us last week (6/8 now) but had to cancel because of health issues (Disney refunded them entirely actually), but my girls were devastated. The memories will last forever.

We went in late June/Early July with an 8 and 6 year old. We stayed 8 days, but only did parks every other day. Did 2 days of NK, 1 at Animal Kingdom, and 1 at Hollywood Studios. In between, we did things like character meals and pool time. We got a stroller and were extremely grateful we did.

I'd suggest the Polynesian, Club level. When you return to the grounds of the Polynesian, after an over-stimulated day in the parks, it's a welcome respite. It's quiet, and dark, with a cool Pacific Island vibe. With Club level, there is a lounge with breakfast, a half hearted lunch, a dinner, then drinks and snacks in the evening. All contained in the same building where you are staying. Young kids really enjoy simply walking down the hall, to get a bite to eat. Gives them (and you) a certain VIP feel. The beach is perfect for viewing the fireworks and the water pageant. You're right on the monorail, as well as a boat that triangles from Polynesian to Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom. Not cheap, but well worth it. You are fully immersed in the experience with none of the driving/parking hassles that anyone offsite experiences.
This^^^. It’s been a minute but we loved the Polynesian when we went. Lots of good advice in this thread and I’d agree with the stroller suggestion. We bought a throwaway down there instead of lugging one on the plane. For a 5 yyold girl I’d also recommend the princess breakfast inside the castle. Well worth it if they still do it. Being at a hotel in the monorail was a big plus at the end of the night too

I’m a huge Disney nerd. Fricken love it. Disney vacation club owner (their timeshare program) and annual pass member even though I live in NJ. Been there a ton.

With a 5 year old, I’d say stay in a monorail resort as you will spend most of your time in magic kingdom. Polynesian and contemporary would be great. Grab a character meal at the Crystal Palace in magic kingdom. Chef Mickeys is also really popular although not my thing. Your daughter would love both of those.

for higher end dining I highly recommend the California grill. Great sushi and you can watch fireworks.

And pack your patience. Post Covid the crowds have been insane.

We found the Parks were surprisingly crowded in the third week of August and Genie and Lightening Lane were essential. Don't dismiss the heat and humidity. It was a huge issue for us - we literally spent hundreds of dollars on water bottles. Also, no Covid precautions anymore and 3 in our party came home with Covid, as did every other family that we know who went to Disney World this summer. Just be prepared. I don't necessarily think the Contemporary gives you great access to MK - yes, you can walk there but in summer heat that may not be such a great bonus. Taking the boat from Wilderness Lodge was ideal. Transportation throughout the parks is so good that switching hotels really doesn't make sense. Once you settle in, I'd stay put.

I do not plan to pay for a blue check mark either

That’s how I can afford Disney
But that's even less money, no?
I’m a huge Disney nerd. Fricken love it. Disney vacation club owner (their timeshare program) and annual pass member even though I live in NJ. Been there a ton.

With a 5 year old, I’d say stay in a monorail resort as you will spend most of your time in magic kingdom. Polynesian and contemporary would be great. Grab a character meal at the Crystal Palace in magic kingdom. Chef Mickeys is also really popular although not my thing. Your daughter would love both of those.

for higher end dining I highly recommend the California grill. Great sushi and you can watch fireworks.

And pack your patience. Post Covid the crowds have been insane.
So is this guy: @T2Kplus10

In the literally AND figurative sense. LOL

I heard you need reservations to get into the park now….I haven’t been in a Disney park in 6-7 years so I don’t know if that is correct. Maybe others can elaborate.
Yes you need to reserve days in specific parks once you buy tickets. Once again, I advise to do everything well in advance. And use the Disney app, especially to order food during the day. It works very well to order food and will save you a lot of time and save you from standing on long lines.

Also, if your family likes the trip, consider Disneyland for the future. I live 20 miles from Anaheim and have an annual pass and without a doubt the single best, and prettiest, park is Disneyland, hands down. There is much more to do in the original park than the Magic Kingdom and some rides you won't find anywhere else (including The Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Indiana Jones, Roger Rabbit). People in the eastern 2/3 of the US think Orlando is the best park and everything in Orlando is better and Disneyland is small and not worth visiting. They're entirely wrong.

Last edited:
Wife and daughter want a trip to DW for granddaughter the summer after she turns 5.

Not my idea of a vacation but I realize it will have to happen

For all you Disney people what do you recommend

where to stay
How many days
What parks
Any other recommendations

Base it on what you have to do for a 5 year old

Thanks
My recommendation is to sell the wife, daughter and granddaughter and head to Vegas.

I have a buyer...

wq2w5.jpg
Over the years, I've used Belushi's famous line a bunch of times, often with strangers. And now and then, it becomes instantly clear that the people, to whom I've quoted the line, have not seen or don't recall the movie.

Oops. 🤣

Reactions: Knight Shift
Park Hopper pass was not worth it for us last time we went (a while ago when the kids were younger). Very difficult to effectively see & experience multiple parks on the same day.

Park Hopper pass was not worth it for us last time we went (a while ago when the kids were younger). Very difficult to effectively see & experience multiple parks on the same day.
Going this Saturday?

Scott and I will be there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT