ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DMV for Real ID

RU Cheese

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2003
Made an appointment to get a Real ID because I fly quite a bit. I assumed, clearly incorrectly and quite stupidly, that them forcing you to make an appointment would mean it'd be a relatively quick excercise.

My gosh is the DMV a train wreck. Kilmer in Edison one is at least.

Another humble brag by @RU Cheese and his first class privileged lifestyle. Not all of us can afford to "fly quite a bit".

God forbid cheese has to wait in a line like the rest of us Joes.

I had no problem in Randolph DMV last year. It was funny watching people trying to get the ID without proper paperwork and then blaming DMV for their mistake.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Is privilege-shaming a thing now? Never noticed any issues with OP. But I read this board mostly from my 100 foot yacht or in one of my numerous vacation homes. 🤷‍♂️

Couple things.

First, Superfan has commented negatively on people's lifestyles. It seems to be a thing with him.

Second, as a frequent flyer, DLs and RealID is a non-issue to me. I carry my passport at all times when traveling, regardless of destination.

Finally, I'd question the priorities of a person who is willing to pay a subscription fee to a sports web site, but then bitches about having to fly coach.

Couple things.

First, Superfan has commented negatively on people's lifestyles. It seems to be a thing with him.

Second, as a frequent flyer, DLs and RealID is a non-issue to me. I carry my passport at all times when traveling, regardless of destination.

Finally, I'd question the priorities of a person who is willing to pay a subscription fee to a sports web site, but then bitches about having to fly coach.
So if that’s the case, as I plan to do that too, is it ReallyID needed?

(see what I did there😎lol)

I'm certainly in no hurry. My plan is that, at some point in the future, I will have to renew my DL and at that time all new DLs will be RealIDs.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Not needed, but if you need to renew your passport be sure to allow for a shitload of time. Not in the post office, that was a breeze. But bureaucracy takes time to sent you the new one

I was on a plane for the first time last year sadly in 2.5 years. I was in line with the Joes but was considering the Clear Service which they were trying to pitch us. Does anyone subscribe to that, is it worth it? I guess it all depends on how much you travel.

I was on a plane for the first time last year sadly in 3 years. I was in line with the Joes but was considering the Clear Service which they were trying to pitch us. Does anyone subscribe to that, is it worth it? I guess it all depends on how much you travel.

In most cases, CLEAR gets you past the doc check portion of the TSA line, so you wind up basically going right to the scanner line.

High level, it's a lot like TSA-Pre in the sense that if saves time at large, busy terminals that are configured to leverage the services. At smaller, "B-town" airports (JAX, PIT, MEM, SDF, for instance) neither service really gets you much because there just aren't any TSA delays to mitigate.

Bottom line, if your life is EWR-DEN, EWR-ORD, etc., then it's probably worthwhile. If, on the other hand, you're avoiding Terminal C on the outbound, headed for the hinterlands, it's not worth it.

Reactions: red sail
Not needed, but if you need to renew your passport be sure to allow for a shitload of time. Not in the post office, that was a breeze. But bureaucracy takes time to sent you the new one
PSA on that…

For those of us by the grace of God to be born in the Holy Land (as a visiting priest called it) of Jersey City, a Hudson County issued birth certificate is not considered valid form of ID.

I found that out the hard way when I let my Passport expire for more than a year. Had to start the process all over and they told me at the Post Office, “yeah, that Hudson County birth certificate is no good for this.” 🤷‍♂️

Maybe that’s changed and it was a just for a few birth years but that was my issue when getting a new one. So don’t let it expire more than a year.

Last edited:
Made an appointment to get a Real ID because I fly quite a bit. I assumed, clearly incorrectly and quite stupidly, that them forcing you to make an appointment would mean it'd be a relatively quick excercise.

My gosh is the DMV a train wreck. Kilmer in Edison one is at least.
I got mine last summer. In and out in less than 15 minutes. I am not telling what office I use.

I was on a plane for the first time last year sadly in 2.5 years. I was in line with the Joes but was considering the Clear Service which they were trying to pitch us. Does anyone subscribe to that, is it worth it? I guess it all depends on how much you travel.

In most cases, CLEAR gets you past the doc check portion of the TSA line, so you wind up basically going right to the scanner line.

High level, it's a lot like TSA-Pre in the sense that if saves time at large, busy terminals that are configured to leverage the services. At smaller, "B-town" airports (JAX, PIT, MEM, SDF, for instance) neither service really gets you much because there just aren't any TSA delays to mitigate.

Bottom line, if your life is EWR-DEN, EWR-ORD, etc., then it's probably worthwhile. If, on the other hand, you're avoiding Terminal C on the outbound, headed for the hinterlands, it's not worth it.
I got Global Entry as CLEAR was too pricey considering how much international travel we have planned for now.

Only one yacht?!?! Plebe…
He also has a 120' and a 200' one. Which is why he specified it was the small 100' one. He just didn't want to brag is all.

I know because I frequently tie up with him for multi-yacht parties on our frequent trips to Monaco.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I got mine Real ID last month in Oakland. I tried to make an appointment for at least several months but they were always booked up. I looked it up at the beginning of the year and there were plenty of openings. At the DMV it did look confusing the way it was set up but probably only took 15-20 minutes.

I don’t get why there isn’t technology that you can’t just walk through a screener with all your carry on and the screener will scan your body and belongings. Would save a lot more time through the TSA process not having to take your shoes, belt off etc. I guess wishful thinking we’re not in the Jetsons era yet.

Last edited:
Couple things.

I don't bother with RealID or a passport. I roll like Navin Johnson:

6ef30d63-2db6-4ee3-92db-4e450741c438_text.gif

I flew from EWR-Den this summer for my nephew's wedding. I even flew back. Is that flaunting my privilege ?
Yes. You're flaunting the fact that you have siblings that can procreate. You, you... you big flaunter, you! 🤣

He also has a 120' and a 200' one. Which is why he specified it was the small 100' one. He just didn't want to brag is all.

I know because I frequently tie up with him for multi-yacht parties on our frequent trips to Monaco.
Our pontoon boat is not 200' or 120'. We need to add that to mix.

On Real Clear or whatever. We just have TSA Pre Check or whatever they call it, and it works fine for us. Speeds us up enough for what we need, and we always arrive about 2 hours before takeoff, so no problems.

Reactions: mildone
I tried getting a Real ID last time I needed to renew my license. I had my social security card as proof of citizenship and first-class mail from a government agency as proof of address. The piece of mail was a W2, and they refused to accept it as proof of address even though it was first-class mail from a government agency because a W2 counts as proof of citizenship and one document can't be used for both. Didn't matter that I wasn't trying to use it for both since I had something else already satisfying the citizenship requirement. Apparently if I just hadn't opened it yet so they didn't know it was a W2, I would have gotten my Real ID. Infuriating.

I used to just swing out to the Hamptons on my 49.4 ft Sailboat but as I have gotten older, I switched over to a larger motor yacht and hired a captain and small crew. The sailing was so much fun but just became too much work- Yeah, I know- the larger yacht costs so much more each time I use it but what the hell, it's just money. Right, I am sure you understand as well.
lol

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Bruh,

The first rule of “Fight Club”, come on. ☹️
Don't you get the secret special government employee service? As long as you have the handshake these guys can all go there, and it does not impact the quick and discounted service I get.

I don't know. I didn't see the point of bothering with a Real ID. My passport expired this past spring. So around last New Year, I simply filled out the passport renewal form online and printed it up, walked over to CVS near my office and got a couple pictures snapped. Walked over to the post office, threw it all in a Priority Mail envelope and that was that. New passport came a month later and didn't have to go to disgusting DMV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT