ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Driver License Renewal/Real ID

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
There is an announcement on Facebook from the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission that those 65 or over never again have to visit an MVC office to get a renewal. OTOH, won't a Real ID be needed (or at least be very useful) for getting on an airplane beginning in 2025? Getting a Real ID requires making an appointment at an MVC office. So, yeah, I never have to visit an MVC office again -- unless I want to fly on an airplane .Do I have this right?

There is an announcement on Facebook from the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission that those 65 or over never again have to visit an MVC office to get a renewal. OTOH, won't a Real ID be needed (or at least be very useful) for getting on an airplane beginning in 2025? Getting a Real ID requires making an appointment at an MVC office. So, yeah, I never have to visit an MVC office again -- unless I want to fly on an airplane .Do I have this right?
Real IDs are a scam. The deadline keeps getting pushed back and besides, you can just use a passport for airline travel.

Real IDs aren't a scam, but I always use my passport anyway. Passports also are valid for 10 years and they're pretty easy to renew.
They are a scam because they are completely unnecessary (as per your post).

And, if you have a valid passport, even if you want to fly.

BTW does that mean that last picture taken when you renewed under 65 will be your picture forever?

Best example of DMV incompetence = non-Real IDs have written in bold “NOT FOR REAL ID PURPOSES”. Show someone out of state your license and they think it’s not a real drivers license. Some NJ idiot actually thought it was a good idea to print that on licenses.

BTW does that mean that last picture taken when you renewed under 65 will be your picture forever?
Yes, my understanding is that the picture lasts forever. I guess the state figures that old people don't change enough to make new photos worth while.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I just received my renewed license in the mail from DMV. The material of the ID seems different and flimsy, compared to my previous license.

A Passport picture is ten years. I look at a lot of IDs. Teenagers to post college nobody looks the same. For many the pre-pandemic picture and their current state of physical appearance is drastically different. Either they exercised much more to the point it has taken over their lives or got into cooking a lot ( and eating a ton).

Yes, my understanding is that the picture lasts forever. I guess the state figures that old people don't change enough to make new photos worth while.
Yes once a prune always a prune, 3 more years and I will join the the Pruner’s Club of America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT