ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Updated Thread: Stormy Monday evening (8/7), including tornado watch for some

We’re are fixing to get an old fashioned brooklyn ass pounding. Even worse trenton and points south.

Reactions: RU848789
Picture = 1000 words...

eZ8ct8m.jpg

I’m down in LBI on vacation this week. I’m hoping things don’t get too bad tonight. T Storms can be pretty bad down here. I remember being down here about 6 or 7 years ago and got hit , lost power and some of the streets were flooded.

Wow the HRRR was right, convection collapsed once into NJ, at least north of trenton. Shocked, this was the most synoptic severe weather setup in the region the past 10 years. Most discounted the short range models.

Reactions: bac2therac
I’m down in LBI on vacation this week. I’m hoping things don’t get too bad tonight. T Storms can be pretty bad down here. I remember being down here about 6 or 7 years ago and got hit , lost power and some of the streets were flooded.
The further east one goes, the weaker the storm line should be, at least based on the sun now being just about down, reducing atmospheric energy and instability, but that doesn't mean you won't get rocked a bit.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Wow the HRRR was right, convection collapsed once into NJ, at least north of trenton. Shocked, this was the most synoptic severe weather setup in the region the past 10 years. Most discounted the short range models.
Yep, the line is clearly weakening, even south of Trenton - not a complete surprise, but fascinating to see...

I spent this past week (Monday thru Sunday) finishing the Pennsylvania section of the Appalachian Trail, ending at the Delaware Water Gap. Seven straight days of hiking. Just got back to NC last night. Lucked out, missing this wicked weather, both hiking and driving back. Was up on many very exposed rocky ridges, almost daily in PA. And those effin' rocks will not be missed.

Those paying attention knew
Lol the HRRR has been atrocious this summer and scored a rare coup. It’s like using the ICON for winter storms.

There was a marine layer of SSE winds keeping low level clouds in the areas and drawing in more stable air that the complex couldn’t overcome.

Reactions: RU848789
The front edge of the strong bow echo simply collapsed once it hit western Monmouth. It's barely raining here.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just lazy - less work for me, plus half the threads on the first page are longer than this one...
Two things:

1. At least you finally admit it.🙂

2. Those other threads are at least about something specific…

New storm, new thread. Was that not our gentlemen’s agreement?😉

Two things:

1. At least you finally admit it.🙂

2. Those other threads are at least about something specific…

New storm, new thread. Was that not our gentlemen’s agreement?😉
It was...for the fairly infrequent winter and tropical storms that might impact our area. I generally don't do severe weather, as others have often started threads on that, but nobody seems to be doing that this summer, so I stepped in. Too much extra effort to create new threads, plus we can have t-storms almost every day for stretches, as we just saw and having 30 new t-storm threads seems excessive to me. Motion denied. :>)

I align myself with those who insist there be different threads for new weather events. I don't have the patience to sift through multiple pages of outdated posts to try and find where the new topic begins.
“But I change the title!”

When there is the possibility of a big one happening I think it’s fair to start a new one for the community for at the bare minimum of the safety aspect of it.

This is coming from someone who greatly appreciates what the OP (and others) do for us on this subject matter.🫡👍

Reactions: RU4Real
It was...for the fairly infrequent winter and tropical storms that might impact our area. I generally don't do severe weather, as others have often started threads on that, but nobody seems to be doing that this summer, so I stepped in. Too much extra effort to create new threads, plus we can have t-storms almost every day for stretches, as we just saw and having 30 new t-storm threads seems excessive to me. Motion denied. :>)
But that’s my point.

The severe weather (or the possibility of it) update IS an important thread to have it’s own thing.

You’re good at it. Ignore the peanut galley and give us the 411. It’s really appreciated, even if the forecast falls flat or doesn’t perform as expected.

Lol the HRRR has been atrocious this summer and scored a rare coup. It’s like using the ICON for winter storms.

There was a marine layer of SSE winds keeping low level clouds in the areas and drawing in more stable air that the complex couldn’t overcome.
The NWS and SPC highlighted the decreasing risk of severe weather as one crossed PA into NJ and especially towards the NJ coast. This graphic summarized it well. However, once the severe storms were on the ground and into NJ it would've been foolhardy to not put the watches and warnings up. Better forewarned and minimal impact than not warned at all and major impact, especially when the warning timeframe was less than an hour or two.

weatherstory.png

Reactions: Joey Bags
Was just posting about this -Flash flood swept 3 cars away. Drivers were not trying to drive through flood water. Firefighters were nearby on another call and it happened in front of them. Almost 7” in 45 min. I was just in the area Thursday in a creek taking pictures of a covers bridge. Tragic and scary how fast water can rise.

Think something similar happened in the summer of 2000 or 01 up in Sussex - dams giving out compounded it. Tstorm just stalled. Incredibly scary stuff.

Think something similar happened in the summer of 2000 or 01 up in Sussex - dams giving out compounded it. Tstorm just stalled. Incredibly scary stuff.

Don't forget, was it Sept. 99, when Floyd swept through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT