ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for MSU @ RU: some light showers likely for tailgates (<0.1") and steadier rain for the game (0.1-0.25")

Two of the Philadelphia stations 6ABC and NBC10 both are trending back to an early start of rain.

No it's really not. The stadium wasn't close to half-full for a 3:30 p.m. home game on a beautiful day to watch a 4-1 Rutgers team. Yes, the opponent was terrible but from 2005-2012ish, there were much bigger crowds no matter who we were playing.

I don't think casual fans will have any interest in Rutgers football until there's another winning season. I'm not talking about 6-6 with a bowl loss, either. An actual winning season.
We haven't been to a bowl game in 9 seasons and didn't win a B1G home game for 5 years. No sellout for 8 years.

Not sure why this is news that attendance is poor rn.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We haven't been to a bowl game in 9 seasons and didn't win a B1G home game for 5 years. No sellout for 8 years.

Not sure why this is news that attendance is poor rn.
The losing is because we don't have a fieldhouse and GS is highly underpaid, ain't that right Al ?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
No it's really not. The stadium wasn't close to half-full for a 3:30 p.m. home game on a beautiful day to watch a 4-1 Rutgers team. Yes, the opponent was terrible but from 2005-2012ish, there were much bigger crowds no matter who we were playing.

I don't think casual fans will have any interest in Rutgers football until there's another winning season. I'm not talking about 6-6 with a bowl loss, either. An actual winning season.
Crowds for the first 3 homes games were pretty good considering the way the last month of the 2022 season went specifically and how the past 8 years have gone in general.

A lot of schools would drawn much worse crowds than that off that many losing seasons in a row.

Reactions: RU-ROCS

Now just hold it right there. You know as well as the rest of us that the Wagner game was a sellout. Every game is sold out. They can't sell more tickets than the # of SHI seats.

Reactions: RUPinstripe

You're simply on crack - Wagner was more than half full from midway through the 1Q until early in the 3Q, given the very nice weather and then it emptied out slowly, as it was a blowout, which is not surprising.

Also, there was significant hype (not here of course) that Saturday would have a lot more rain and I'm sure that also kept down attendance.

Last edited:

What time will you be in the parking lot?

TimeConditionsTemp.Feels LikePrecipAmountCloud CoverDew PointHumidityWindPressure
6:00 am
Cloudy
Cloudy
47 °F47 °F10 %0 in91 %42 °F80 %1 mph NNW29.92 in
7:00 am
Cloudy
Cloudy
48 °F48 °F21 %0 in91 %42 °F79 %1 mph N29.91 in
8:00 am
Showers
Showers
48 °F48 °F40 %0.01 in95 %43 °F82 %2 mph NNE29.91 in
9:00 am
Showers
Showers
51 °F51 °F51 %0.01 in94 %45 °F79 %2 mph NE29.90 in
10:00 am
Showers
Showers
52 °F52 °F52 %0.02 in95 %46 °F79 %3 mph NNE29.89 in
11:00 am
Rain
Rain
53 °F53 °F67 %0.04 in100 %46 °F77 %3 mph NE29.87 in
12:00 pm
Rain
Rain
54 °F54 °F78 %0.05 in100 %47 °F79 %3 mph NE29.85 in
1:00 pm
Rain
Rain
54 °F53 °F97 %0.06 in100 %48 °F80 %4 mph NE29.82 in
2:00 pm
Rain
Rain
53 °F52 °F98 %0.07 in100 %49 °F85 %5 mph NE29.79 in
3:00 pm
Rain
Rain
53 °F51 °F94 %0.06 in100 %49 °F88 %6 mph NE29.76 in
4:00 pm
Rain
Rain
52 °F50 °F97 %0.06 in100 %49 °F90 %6 mph NE29.74 in

• Sad
FYI, I just added a detailed edit to my post above from 2 am (also quoted above), to keep all the info in one place. Briefly the NWS continues with the idea of very little rain (0.01") before 2 pm, which would mean dry tailgates and even a mostly dry first half, followed by maybe 0.1" for the 2nd half. This is despite some models showing 0.1" or more through 2 pm and another 0.1-0.2" from 2 pm to 5 pm, so don't put away the canopies or rain gear yet. Lots more details above...
Today's 12Z models, so far, likely won't change the NWS forecast, as all of the models (UK, CMC, NAM, RDPS and the HRRR/HRW models), except the GFS, show essentially no rain through noon (other than maybe a brief spritz or two that will barely be measurable), with some even showing little rain through 2 pm, while the GFS is showing about 0.05" of rain through 11 am and another 0.1" through 2 pm and then another 0.1-0.2" through 5 pm. The Euro isn't out yet. Yes, the GRAF model-based services (TWC, News 12, etc.) are showing a few light showers before noon, but <0.05" likely during the tailgates.

As I said earlier the tailgates are looking mostly to completely dry, but don't leave the canopies at home, since it's impossible to rule out up to 0.1" for the tailgates and that would annoy many, and definitely don't leave the rain gear at home for the game, as we're going to get some rain, probably at least 0.1-0.2", even if most of that is from 2 pm to 4 pm. I also see no reason to change the thread title. On the whole, this is still hugely better than what we were looking at early in the week.

TimeConditionsTemp.Feels LikePrecipAmountCloud CoverDew PointHumidityWindPressure
6:00 am
Cloudy
Cloudy
47 °F47 °F10 %0 in91 %42 °F80 %1 mph NNW29.92 in
7:00 am
Cloudy
Cloudy
48 °F48 °F21 %0 in91 %42 °F79 %1 mph N29.91 in
8:00 am
Showers
Showers
48 °F48 °F40 %0.01 in95 %43 °F82 %2 mph NNE29.91 in
9:00 am
Showers
Showers
51 °F51 °F51 %0.01 in94 %45 °F79 %2 mph NE29.90 in
10:00 am
Showers
Showers
52 °F52 °F52 %0.02 in95 %46 °F79 %3 mph NNE29.89 in
11:00 am
Rain
Rain
53 °F53 °F67 %0.04 in100 %46 °F77 %3 mph NE29.87 in
12:00 pm
Rain
Rain
54 °F54 °F78 %0.05 in100 %47 °F79 %3 mph NE29.85 in
1:00 pm
Rain
Rain
54 °F53 °F97 %0.06 in100 %48 °F80 %4 mph NE29.82 in
2:00 pm
Rain
Rain
53 °F52 °F98 %0.07 in100 %49 °F85 %5 mph NE29.79 in
3:00 pm
Rain
Rain
53 °F51 °F94 %0.06 in100 %49 °F88 %6 mph NE29.76 in
4:00 pm
Rain
Rain
52 °F50 °F97 %0.06 in100 %49 °F90 %6 mph NE29.74 in
It would be helpful if people posting such info included some description of the model/source used for that forecast and a link to the site.

Today's 12Z models, so far, likely won't change the NWS forecast, as all of the models (UK, CMC, NAM, RDPS and the HRRR/HRW models), except the GFS, show essentially no rain through noon (other than maybe a brief spritz or two that will barely be measurable), with some even showing little rain through 2 pm, while the GFS is showing about 0.05" of rain through 11 am and another 0.1" through 2 pm and then another 0.1-0.2" through 5 pm. The Euro isn't out yet. Yes, the GRAF model-based services (TWC, News 12, etc.) are showing a few light showers before noon, but <0.05" likely during the tailgates.

As I said earlier the tailgates are looking mostly to completely dry, but don't leave the canopies at home, since it's impossible to rule out up to 0.1" for the tailgates and that would annoy many, and definitely don't leave the rain gear at home for the game, as we're going to get some rain, probably at least 0.1-0.2", even if most of that is from 2 pm to 4 pm. I also see no reason to change the thread title. On the whole, this is still hugely better than what we were looking at early in the week.
Numbers, as always I appreciate your weather reports. Fighting with my father to attend this game with me. He’s worried about getting hit with heavy rain.

Unfortunately, the Euro came in a little wetter/earlier than previous runs, so we have two camps: the Euro/GFS, showing a few showers through 11 am (0.05-0.1" roughly), which won't be an issue for folks with canopies, but still sucks compared to no rain, and steadier rain after that through the end of the game (0.2-0.4" more, which is moderate rain and would not be fun) vs. the rest of the models (at least 5-6 of them) showing little to no rain through noon and only about 0.1" up through 2 pm and another 0.1-0.2" through 4-5 pm, which would be great for tailgates and not terrible for the game.

I would hate to have to make a forecast based on this, especially for the tailgates, but maybe we'll get more clarity tonight, although I tend to doubt it, since we're looking at very small amounts of rain that are essentially within the margin for error for these models, i.e., 0 vs. 0.1" of rain is inconsequential for forecasting, per se, but huge for someone sitting in a lot without a canopy.

Numbers, as always I appreciate your weather reports. Fighting with my father to attend this game with me. He’s worried about getting hit with heavy rain.
Extremely unlikely to have anything more than light rain for the tailgates, but some moderate rain (maybe even on the heavy side on occasion, but not deluge heavy) is likely for the game, especially in the 2nd half.

Unfortunately, the Euro came in a little wetter/earlier than previous runs, so we have two camps: the Euro/GFS, showing a few showers through 11 am (0.05-0.1" roughly), which won't be an issue for folks with canopies, but still sucks compared to no rain, and steadier rain after that through the end of the game (0.2-0.4" more, which is moderate rain and would not be fun) vs. the rest of the models (at least 5-6 of them) showing little to no rain through noon and only about 0.1" up through 2 pm and another 0.1-0.2" through 4-5 pm, which would be great for tailgates and not terrible for the game.

I would hate to have to make a forecast based on this, especially for the tailgates, but maybe we'll get more clarity tonight, although I tend to doubt it, since we're looking at very small amounts of rain that are essentially within the margin for error for these models, i.e., 0 vs. 0.1" of rain is inconsequential for forecasting, per se, but huge for someone sitting in a lot without a canopy.
So the NWS and Euro flipped sides the last 48 hours or so lol (IIRC).

Yes, but keep in mind that their forecast is still for less than 0.1" through the end of the tailgates, which isn't a big deal for anyone with a canopy and it also doesn't mean it'll be raining the whole time - just occasionally - if that forecast is correct. It's also interesting that their forecast is only for about 0.05" per hour during a 3+ hour game, for about 0.15" of rain, which isn't heavy rain at all - will still suck without rain gear, but is tolerable to me with temps in the mid-50s and light winds (<10 mph).

I actually think that's a pretty good forecast - if you recall, I posted that I thought the NWS was underdoing rainfall amounts through 2 pm (just 0.01" through 2 pm and I thought it should be more like 0.1", which is pretty close to what TWC forecast is through 2 pm (about 0.15").

Reactions: LeapinLou
Sit anywhere you want in the stadium tomorrow. General admission. And if the yellow shirts tell you otherwise, tell them to look around.

I was starting to get optimistic but less so today in reading some forecasts. Also its going to be pretty cool and raw feel regardless. Temps in the low 50s for tailgating with clouds isnt fun, once that moisture starts the combo of cold and wet isnt a good one. Temps wont get above 55 once the rain kicks in. Again for me if I can get into my seats dry, Its a huge win

I was starting to get optimistic but less so today in reading some forecasts. Also its going to be pretty cool and raw feel regardless. Temps in the low 50s for tailgating with clouds isnt fun, once that moisture starts the combo of cold and wet isnt a good one. Temps wont get above 55 once the rain kicks in. Again for me if I can get into my seats dry, Its a huge win
Agree. I felt a lot better yesterday. Now some are moving back to 8am start. Who knows. Anyway I watch the 5am news and see where we are at.

Yes, but keep in mind that their forecast is still for less than 0.1" through the end of the tailgates, which isn't a big deal for anyone with a canopy and it also doesn't mean it'll be raining the whole time - just occasionally - if that forecast is correct. It's also interesting that their forecast is only for about 0.05" per hour during a 3+ hour game, for about 0.15" of rain, which isn't heavy rain at all - will still suck without rain gear, but is tolerable to me with temps in the mid-50s and light winds (<10 mph).

I actually think that's a pretty good forecast - if you recall, I posted that I thought the NWS was underdoing rainfall amounts through 2 pm (just 0.01" through 2 pm and I thought it should be more like 0.1", which is pretty close to what TWC forecast is through 2 pm (about 0.15").
Well, fwiw, the NWS adjusted their forecast to be very similar to what I was thinking and to what TWC is forecasting, i.e., little to no rain before noon (maybe 0.05" or so) and up to about 0.1-0.15" by 2 pm as light rain becomes a bit steadier during the game, followed by about another 0.1-0.15" from 2-4 pm (roughly 1/3 of their 0.39" from 2-8 pm), if the NWS is correct, although some models are showing 0.2-0.3" from 2-4 pm, which is getting towards heavy rain.

I can live with a few light showers during the tailgates, mostly after 10 am, especially with a canopy and temps in the low 50s, but light winds (~5 mph during tailgates and the game) and light to occasionally moderate rain during the game (heavy downpours, i.e., 0.5-1" per hour rates we see in t-storms, are very unlikely) won't kill anyone with rain gear. Not even sure I'll wear any, as light/moderate rain doesn't usually bother me - maybe my RU windbreaker to keep it red, lol.

Expect about 1-1.5" for the entire Philly-NJ-NYC region from about noon tomorrow through sunrise on Sunday and the rain will shut off quickly with Sunday being a decent day, especially after mid-morning with some sunshine, although it'll be cool (60F for highs) and windy. Rainfall amounts won't be greatly reduced north of us until one gets up N of I-80 up to I-84 and north of there, as Albany to Hartford to Providence and north of there is forecast to not get any rain at all.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

om3MYSN.png

Last edited:
I'm Screwed! I just remembered all our new rain gear for the farm is green. Looks like it's going to be ponchos.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
Check this out. Joe Martucci is an RU alum, football season ticket holder and meteorologist for the Press of Atlantic City and he even does video forecasts for Rutgers tailgates and games. His forecast is pretty close to that of the NWS - and maybe a tad more optimistic, as he thinks little to no rain before noon, as many models show, and definitely some rain for the game, especially in the 2nd half, but not heavy rain.

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/wea...722c_gAzrZDD3cj2JwdHDHnQwBj_bYw8dbjspUtwHDQw8

Well, fwiw, the NWS adjusted their forecast to be very similar to what I was thinking and to what TWC is forecasting, i.e., little to no rain before noon (maybe 0.05" or so) and up to about 0.1-0.15" by 2 pm as light rain becomes a bit steadier during the game, followed by about another 0.1-0.15" from 2-4 pm (roughly 1/3 of their 0.39" from 2-8 pm), if the NWS is correct, although some models are showing 0.2-0.3" from 2-4 pm, which is getting towards heavy rain.

I can live with a few light showers during the tailgates, mostly after 10 am, especially with a canopy and temps in the low 50s, but light winds (~5 mph during tailgates and the game) and light to occasionally moderate rain during the game (heavy downpours, i.e., 0.5-1" per hour rates we see in t-storms, are very unlikely) won't kill anyone with rain gear. Not even sure I'll wear any, as light/moderate rain doesn't usually bother me - maybe my RU windbreaker to keep it red, lol.

Expect about 1-1.5" for the entire Philly-NJ-NYC region from about noon tomorrow through sunrise on Sunday and the rain will shut off quickly with Sunday being a decent day, especially after mid-morning with some sunshine, although it'll be cool (60F for highs) and windy. Rainfall amounts won't be greatly reduced north of us until one gets up N of I-80 up to I-84 and north of there, as Albany to Hartford to Providence and north of there is forecast to not get any rain at all.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

om3MYSN.png
Very little change in the NWS-Philly forecast for today and while the models last night at 0Z and, so far, this morning at 6Z, have bounced around some, the overall thinking looks about the same, i.e., some light rain showers likely for the tailgates, where about 0.05-0.10" of rain will likely fall through about noon, which is enough to get folks wet, so canopies are still highly recommended. Then, the rain looks to get steadier and heavier throughout the game, with about 0.2-0.3" falling from 12-4 pm, so rain gear is a must for most folks.

Note that there are still some models (6Z HRRR, RAP and NAM) that show little (<0.02") to no rain through 11 am and even noon, so mostly to completely dry tailgates are still possible, but other models show 0.05-0.10" of rain through 11 am (Euro, GFS), so the intermediate position of occasional light showers bringing about 0.05-0.10" through noon seems reasonable, which is what the NBM (National Blend of Models) shows, while the TWC model shows about 0.12" through noon.

From here on out look at the radar and the sky and enjoy the tailgates (which could've been much worse if the forecast from early in the week verified) and the game and GO RU!!

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

2hLYdkP.png

Reactions: 29PAS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT