ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Early Spring coming on Tuesday and Wednesday

March, historically, has more snow than December in this area, so yes, March can be quite stormy (and has been recently). Most impactful snowstorm in recorded history (since 1869 in NYC) is the Superstorm of 1993, which was March 13th.

http://www.weather.gov/ilm/superstorm93
Our bet is still on. The measurement (4" or more) will be in Monmouth County, not the Metuchen snow globe. Is that ok?

Wow impressive! Pattern is looking favorable for moderately cold and potentially stormy in early March, especially if we get the negative NAO (north Atlantic oscillation - generally a "blocking" high in the vicinity of Greenland, which can often allow cold air to drain down to the NE US to "meet" storms that come up the east coast, if we also get a trough pattern over the eastern US at the same time. Way too far off to "predict" any storm, but projected 8-15 day patterns are often predicted pretty well (but not always, like the last one).

they are wishing so hard for it on the weenie boards aren't they...their bias shows thats the problem. Its not that they do not know their stuff. Its that they will try and find everyway possible that it can snow...the failure of that prick PBI with is February call hopefully takes him down several pegs

So couldn't decide between chicken or ribs for the smoker so the easy solution was both. Dry rub both, different spice profile. Add a modified Sweet Baby Rays to the chicken. Bonus February BBQ! Nothing smells better than meat in a smoker.
Cigar count is abundant.

Reactions: bac2therac
they are wishing so hard for it on the weenie boards aren't they...their bias shows thats the problem. Its not that they do not know their stuff. Its that they will try and find everyway possible that it can snow...the failure of that prick PBI with is February call hopefully takes him down several pegs
I think some of those medium/long range guys (including PB-GFI, even if he's a bit arrogant - he's made some nice calls) do some great work, but they're also a little thin-skinned. I made a post in the long range thread simply pointing out that the Feb cold/snowy pattern that almost all of them called for didn't pan out (which is the period I posted about here) and pointed out that that's why some are a little skeptical of these predictions, especially beyond 15 days. And even though I also gave them props for getting the two earlier patterns correct (mid-Dec and late-Dec/early Jan), my post was not well received and was moved to the banter thread. I get that they like to keep those threads from veering off topic, but I think legitimate discussion of forecast accuracy is a fair topic within a thread like that - they mods obviously disagree on that. I'll live.

PB GFI is too arrogant for me...and often when he is wrong, either he or others deflect from that fact as something you shouldnt dwell on.

is he a met or just some amateur...he was in a small dustup with Isotherm about the pattern a few weeks ago

Reactions: bac2therac
Four carts, four players, "Amtrak Round" every other Monday at Colonia CC when I was an Assistant there. No normal golf etiquette. You're ready, you hit. Even off the tees. No running, putts were good within a putter length but you had one "make it" to force another player to sink it normally.
You would get a one stoke penalty if the other 3 guys have teed off the next hole and you havent finished the previous hole. Some other speed rules. Money game. Took just about an hour. This was the second round of the day, first one normal play. From there, off to one of the others courses these guys were Assistants at. Mostly Manasquan. Finished the day paying debts at Neilly's Long Bar. That was one great summer!
Nice. Don't know if you ever played Rutgers much, but my roommate and I, when we were in grad school at RU, used to play there 3-4 times a week and became good friends with the starter, Whitey. We'd often get to the course first thing on a weekday morning and there would be some regular foursomes ready to go out first and Whitey would ask them if they minded if he sent the two of us out 5 minutes before the first official tee time, guaranteeing they'd never see us. We'd usually finish our round in about 2.5 hours, walking, but absolutely playing ready golf the whole time. He would also let us play 36 for the $4 student 18 hole fee by sending us back out - and for a few years in a row, we'd play 54 on the summer solstice, playing from about 7 am to 9 pm, eating hot dogs at every turn, lol. Fun days.

PB GFI is too arrogant for me...and often when he is wrong, either he or others deflect from that fact as something you shouldnt dwell on.

is he a met or just some amateur...he was in a small dustup with Isotherm about the pattern a few weeks ago
Neither of those guys are actual mets, although isotherm is much more knowledgable about deep meteorology at long range (he knows as much as most mets on that topic), while PB is very good intuitively in the short term on storms. They got into it about January's temps after the cold wave, with PB trying to claim it was below normal, when it really wasn't and they were arguing over data sources from various stations. Eventually, their debate was moved to banter. The weather boards are moderated far more closely than a board like this - too closely for my tastes, although it does make the threads more readable.

Nice. Don't know if you ever played Rutgers much, but my roommate and I, when we were in grad school at RU, used to play there 3-4 times a week and became good friends with the starter, Whitey. We'd often get to the course first thing on a weekday morning and there would be some regular foursomes ready to go out first and Whitey would ask them if they minded if he sent the two of us out 5 minutes before the first official tee time, guaranteeing they'd never see us. We'd usually finish our round in about 2.5 hours, walking, but absolutely playing ready golf the whole time. He would also let us play 36 for the $4 student 18 hole fee by sending us back out - and for a few years in a row, we'd play 54 on the summer solstice, playing from about 7 am to 9 pm, eating hot dogs at every turn, lol. Fun days.
Yes played Rutgers a lot, was on the Golf Team for a year. Whitey was a great man. One of the nicest guys you would ever meet in a lifetime.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT