ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

Looks like Spurge to me. Use a pre-emergent such as Dimensionwhen forsythia bloom, use a post emergent with sulfentrazone as the active ingredient (Ortho Nutsedge Killer, Dismiss, others) if it still comes up. Try to pull it too as you see it. It is a very prolific seeder and could be more than one battle. The Dimension will block germination of crab grass and dandelion s too. Ground ivy can be controlled by Triclopyr (Ortho CCO) and that can help control spurge too.

Thanks, yup Spurge is what it is. I googled it and that looks just like it. For the pre-emergent would you recommend this by Lesco? It says Dimension* on the label. Not sure if this is it. So I put this down once the forsythia bloom I get that. When do I use the post emergent in the summer months and the Ortho CCO?

Not sure what Lesco product below is better? One is 30-0-5 (Lowes) and the other is 19-0-7 (Home Depot) both are pre-emergents.

Thanks, yup Spurge is what it is. I googled it and that looks just like it. For the pre-emergent would you recommend this by Lesco? It says Dimension* on the label. Not sure if this is it. So I put this down once the forsythia bloom I get that. When do I use the post emergent in the summer months and the Ortho CCO?

Not sure what Lesco product below is better? One is 30-0-5 (Lowes) and the other is 19-0-7 (Home Depot) both are pre-emergents.

Super. They both have Dimension, with the active ingredient being Dithiopyr. I use a spray and have not used the granular but you should be fine with either one. If you did a late a fall fertilizer I’d probably go with the 19-0-7 because I’m not a big fan or early spring fertilization—not that it’s bad. Please read the label and it’ll tell you the rate per square footage and the months of coverage you’ll ge for that rate. You might put it down when the forsythia bloom (soon) then again early summer. Hopefully you won’t need the post emergent—Dimension works pretty well. If you do need it he post emergent, get the weeds as early as possible since the post emergents work better with immature weeds than mature weeds. Good luck!

Reactions: Postman_1
We compost all our farm animal poop and hay. Throw in wood ash from the wood stoves, lime, some crappy dirt and fish emulsion, cover with clear plastic. turnover with the front loader 2 or 3 times and in a year 5 to 6 yds. of top soil. We have to constantly fill in the fruit orchard and areas with this nutrient rich stuff. Pastures grow like crazy with it.

We fertilize the pastures with fish emulsion. I swear by this for organic fertilizer, smells like fish for a day or two but it really works well. I made an organic tea once with hog poop, found fish emulsion much easier. I'm only allowed to use organic measures in the livestock and orchard areas. Pasture mix has all type of beneficial grasses for the soil, Rye, Clover, Timothy and orchard grass.

I've used the fish emulsion as well. Works great. For this I am trying to only use what I have at my disposal, like kitchen scraps, and see if I can do it without buying anything but seed.

I would love to check out your place one day. Do you guys sell directly to the public? I'm not sure if you ever mentioned it, but I don't think I know the name of your farm.

Reactions: koleszar
I've used the fish emulsion as well. Works great. For this I am trying to only use what I have at my disposal, like kitchen scraps, and see if I can do it without buying anything but seed.

I would love to check out your place one day. Do you guys sell directly to the public? I'm not sure if you ever mentioned it, but I don't think I know the name of your farm.
2 other great sources of high quality, free, compostable materials come from your local coffee shop or brewery. I haven't done in a while, but I used to drop off a 5 gallon bucket at the coffee shop near my job, and pick up at the end of the day. Same for spent brewery grains, but I haven't tried this yet.

Reactions: RUDead
Looks like Spurge to me. Use a pre-emergent such as Dimensionwhen forsythia bloom, use a post emergent with sulfentrazone as the active ingredient (Ortho Nutsedge Killer, Dismiss, others) if it still comes up. Try to pull it too as you see it. It is a very prolific seeder and could be more than one battle. The Dimension will block germination of crab grass and dandelion s too. Ground ivy can be controlled by Triclopyr (Ortho CCO) and that can help control spurge too.

Looks like spotted spurge. What about using Dicamba? I believe that is supposed to get rid of it.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83

Highland Acres

We're small, we mainly sell to friends and friends of friends(you would fall under this category) We have all types of sausage, hot/sweet, lose, breakfast and bacon. Stream lined it to just this as those are the most popular. We also sell eggs and fruit, apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, persimmons and figs. Fruits are, I call people when harvest time and they pick. We're not commercial or USDA approved(they're crazy). Our pigs are sent out live to Bringhurst Meats(USDA approved), they come back flash frozen(same as super market) and vacuum sealed.

This is a money losing venture, my wife and I both have regular jobs. My one request was, you can get whatever animals you want but they must provide something to the farm. That already went out the window when she got miniature horses. She enjoys animals being a Cook grad(happy wife and all). As for me we're really doing this for retirement. We have 8 acres and don't plan on leaving Jersey. If I retire and don't have something to do, my wife will either kill me or vice versa. With a farm there's always something to do or more like always something to keep you away from the wife.

Highland Acres

We're small, we mainly sell to friends and friends of friends(you would fall under this category) We have all types of sausage, hot/sweet, lose, breakfast and bacon. Stream lined it to just this as those are the most popular. We also sell eggs and fruit, apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, persimmons and figs. Fruits are, I call people when harvest time and they pick. We're not commercial or USDA approved(they're crazy). Our pigs are sent out live to Bringhurst Meats(USDA approved), they come back flash frozen(same as super market) and vacuum sealed.

This is a money losing venture, my wife and I both have regular jobs. My one request was, you can get whatever animals you want but they must provide something to the farm. That already went out the window when she got miniature horses. She enjoys animals being a Cook grad(happy wife and all). As for me we're really doing this for retirement. We have 8 acres and don't plan on leaving Jersey. If I retire and don't have something to do, my wife will either kill me or vice versa. With a farm there's always something to do or more like always something to keep you away from the wife.

That sounds awesome! I would definitely be interested in helping you lose more money. :)

LMK how to get in touch with you. I looked for a fb page or website but couldn't find anything.

I’ve used Dicamba before and it was effective at killing weeds. The problem I had was it ended up damaging some trees pretty severely as it was absorbed by the tree roots.
Same with 2,4-D. Folks have to carefully read the label and apply accordingly.

Woke up to about 20 robbins on my lawn. No synthetics of any kind for 6 years.
No birds on the lawns of my surrounding neighbors who all use synthetic fertilizers and herbicides. Just saying...

I agree with RUgolfer. I’d get a soil test but the attached link from Rutgers discusses some causes and solutions.
I picked up a container of liquid Moss Out last night, but it looks like I need to get a watering can to apply it as ours are broken. I'll do that today and apply it tomorrow.

I still need to get some type of pre-emergent to kill off that Japanese Stiltgrass. Keep in mind that I overseeded that area last fall and had decent growth before winter set in. So what would you suggest for that? Keep in mind this area is probably around 600-700 sq ft. Think 2 rectangles 20x30 and 12x14 next to each other, with 4 small beds around trees inside of them. This is the area I recovered from the forest.

Woke up to about 20 robbins on my lawn. No synthetics of any kind for 6 years.
No birds on the lawns of my surrounding neighbors who all use synthetic fertilizers and herbicides. Just saying...
I’ve got robins, cardinals, gold finch, thatcher, several wood peckers (Downey and red headed) so far today. Just sayin...Not going to get into a debate again. People should do what they want as long as it’s responsible.

Reactions: ATIOH and Postman_1
I picked up a container of liquid Moss Out last night, but it looks like I need to get a watering can to apply it as ours are broken. I'll do that today and apply it tomorrow.

I still need to get some type of pre-emergent to kill off that Japanese Stiltgrass. Keep in mind that I overseeded that area last fall and had decent growth before winter set in. So what would you suggest for that? Keep in mind this area is probably around 600-700 sq ft. Think 2 rectangles 20x30 and 12x14 next to each other, with 4 small beds around trees inside of them. This is the area I recovered from the forest.

Japanese stilt grass is an invasive species that is usually a multi year battle. Ivehad success with Dimension as a preemergent and Acclsim Extra (fenoxaprop) as a post emergent. This article is old and suggests fenoxaprop is for lpros only but it has since been made available for residential use.

I’ve got robins, cardinals, gold finch, thatcher, several wood peckers (Downey and red headed) so far today. Just sayin...Not going to get into a debate again. People should do what they want as long as it’s responsible.
I would argue it is irresponsible to poison wildlife, soil, and local watersheds.

Japanese stilt grass is an invasive species that is usually a multi year battle. I've had success with Dimension as a preemergent and Acclsim Extra (fenoxaprop) as a post emergent.
Any particular brand I should look for?

Actually Dimension is a brand. The active ingredient is Dithiopyr. I like to use a backpack sprayer. This looks costly but old last several years.
Holy crap! For the cost of that I can afford to just pull the damn things. Particularly since I don't need much of it. Wow.

Holy crap! For the cost of that I can afford to just pull the damn things. Particularly since I don't need much of it. Wow.
You can get a fertilizer And Dimension combo spread at Home Depot for cheaper. You might find a quart size, which would still last a few years.I use the spray but it’ll last me several years. You can pull it but as you know, Japanese stilt grass is har to control. Do not let it seed in August!

Bought a bag of Lesco crabgrass pre-emergent with fertilizer today. Dimension is the active weed suppression ingredient. Based on the ten day forecast, I should probably hold off until next weekend. Based on my read of the bag, I should not need to put anything else down for 3-4 months.

Bought a bag of Lesco crabgrass pre-emergent with fertilizer today. Dimension is the active weed suppression ingredient. Based on the ten day forecast, I should probably hold off until next weekend. Based on my read of the bag, I should not need to put anything else down for 3-4 months.
I think we’re probably a week to 10 days away here open central NJ. I put it down when the forsythia blooms, which roughly coincides with soil temps 50-55 degrees four inches down. It really doesn’t have to be precise, especially for crab grass. Yes, depending on your rate you’d be good for 3 or 4 months.

You can get a fertilizer And Dimension combo spread at Home Depot for cheaper. You might find a quart size, which would still last a few years.I use the spray but it’ll last me several years. You can pull it but as you know, Japanese stilt grass is har to control. Do not let it seed in August!
Bought a bag of this, gonna give it a try:

oiNDz5X.jpg

Bought a bag of this, gonna give it a try:

oiNDz5X.jpg
That’s got several preemergent active ingredients including Dithiopyr, dicamba, 2,4D. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. The Acclaim Extra is excellent for post emergent if some gets through. Or hand pull it early!

By the way, Spanky, Japanese stilt grass germinates late summer so redo it then too.

Last edited:
Forsythias are starting to bloom. Time to put down pre-emergent? Seems early.

Could not find the old lawn care thread, as the search function still seems broken.

I'll do it as soon as the snow covering half my lawn melts away.

I’ve got ...several wood peckers (Downey and red headed)

Double check that one. Red headed woodpeckers, are plentiful, but are actually not very common in surburban areas, whereas red bellied woodpeckers (which happen to have a mostly red head, are pretty common). Most causal observers refer to Red Bellied woodpeckers (which have a hard to see reddish/orange patch on their lower belly) as red headed woodpeckers. I’d be curious if you have several red headed ones In central Jersey. The real prize is the pileated woodpecker, but like red headed they are much more common in heavily wooded areas with a good deal of standing dead trees. The two most common suburban woodpeckers are Hairy and Downey (both with red patches on their heads - males only).

We see Downy/Hairy Woodpeckers, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers (only in certain seasons) and Northern Flickers here. Corey saw a Pileated Woodpecker last fall, but it was gone before I had a chance to look. He said it was huge compared to the other woodpeckers.

That’s got several preemergent active ingredients including Dithiopyr, dicamba, 2,4D. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
I was going to lay this down along the edge of the woods (not the lawn) tomorrow - do you think that's too early?

Reactions: miket007
Double check that one. Red headed woodpeckers, are plentiful, but are actually not very common in surburban areas, whereas red bellied woodpeckers (which happen to have a mostly red head, are pretty common). Most causal observers refer to Red Bellied woodpeckers (which have a hard to see reddish/orange patch on their lower belly) as red headed woodpeckers. I’d be curious if you have several red headed ones In central Jersey. The real prize is the pileated woodpecker, but like red headed they are much more common in heavily wooded areas with a good deal of standing dead trees. The two most common suburban woodpeckers are Hairy and Downey (both with red patches on their heads - males only).
Thanks for the note. I checked with my wife, who is the bird watcher in our family. I remember her running around like a kid at Christmas not too long ago because we had a red headed woodpecker and they are, as you say, not that common here. I double checked with her and she confirmed we have had both the red headed and re bellied ones, but not the pileated.. We also have a red grosbeak, which is a cool looking bird!

Reactions: BigRnj
I was going to lay this down along the edge of the woods (not the lawn) tomorrow - do you think that's too early?
It won’t create any problems putting it down a bit early, you just lose some coverage down the road because once you get it down the effectiveness clock starts ticking. If you have the time now and it’s convenient, no big deal to put it down now.

It won’t create any problems putting it down a bit early, you just lose some coverage down the road because once you get it down the effectiveness clock starts ticking. If you have the time now and it’s convenient, no big deal to put it down now.

It’s also good to keep in mind that crab grass will die if you have a decent frost. So it may germinate in the spring and then die with a first initially. Besides using forsythia’s as a guide, I will always mow a few times before applying Dimension.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
It’s also good to keep in mind that crab grass will die if you have a decent frost. So it may germinate in the spring and then die with a first initially. Besides using forsythia’s as a guide, I will always mow a few times before applying Dimension.
Agreed. And Dimension has some post emergent control to the 3-5 tiller so you can actually be a bit late in the application of crab grass is your main concern.

Last edited:
I put down some Greenlawn crabgrass control i picked up out in the country close to the Del/Md border outside of Clayton DE today. This amish fella told me it was good stuff hell i was just shocked he spoke to me lol. Bought this home last May and have horrible crabgrass over half of my property. It comes in granulars not as small as Scotts but not overly big like cheaper brands. I was shocked it called for 3.5 on my spreader, hopefully this helps....

I put down some Greenlawn crabgrass control i picked up out in the country close to the Del/Md border outside of Clayton DE today. This amish fella told me it was good stuff hell i was just shocked he spoke to me lol. Bought this home last May and have horrible crabgrass over half of my property. It comes in granulars not as small as Scotts but not overly big like cheaper brands. I was shocked it called for 3.5 on my spreader, hopefully this helps....

Keep us posted on the results. You can buy this on the Home Depot site and I have read mixed reviews about it there in the past.

Reactions: miket007
Thanks for the note. I checked with my wife, who is the bird watcher in our family. I remember her running around like a kid at Christmas not too long ago because we had a red headed woodpecker and they are, as you say, not that common here. I double checked with her and she confirmed we have had both the red headed and re bellied ones, but not the pileated.. We also have a red grosbeak, which is a cool looking bird!
This was a shot I took last fall of a nothern flicker otherwise known as a yellow shafted flicker:

G7Kv5iW.jpg
8m1BKxg.jpg

Also got one of a red bellied woodpecker:

Jz6HaQq.jpg

Do you mean Geeenview? I haven’t heard of Greenlawn but have heard of Greeenview. The active ingredient is Dithiopyr, which is the AI in Dimension and several other products.

Reactions: RU Golfer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT