ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

Think I'm dealing with grubs again or chinch bugs... Landscapers sprayed last week, but it seems like the damage is already done.
You need to hire Carl from Caddyshack!

images

Our lawn has held up really well except for a couple of very small dry spots that browned out. Our biggest issue, which I noted above, was a nutsedge invasion that I did not spray, but meticulously pulled up the tall, light green stalks over the course of the last few weeks. Saw several other lawns that had much worse nutsedge problems.
There is a lot of nutsedge this year, probably because of the damp spring. Always something…

Reactions: Knight Shift
Think I'm dealing with grubs again or chinch bugs... Landscapers sprayed last week, but it seems like the damage is already done.
I had a neighbor whose lawn service put down the wrong grub product at the wrong time. I think it pays to ask them what they put down, when, and at what rate (for fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, whatever they apply). Here is a good article from our “friends” at MSU

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
There is a lot of nutsedge this year, probably because of the damp spring. Always something…
Had a fire call (I'm a vollie) at a multimillion dollar (maybe that's not rare these days) home that was spectacularly landscaped by pros-I noticed their nutsedge problem was was a LOT worse than ours, and that made me feel better living on the poor side of town. Weeds don't discriminate. 🤣

Crabgrass…

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

- Fertilized at the right time(s)
- Regular irrigation schedule

And it just seems like it’s giving me the finger.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Crabgrass…

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

- Fertilized at the right time(s)
- Regular irrigation schedule

And it just seems like it’s giving me the finger.
Crabgrass is fairly easy to control.I do a preemergent around when the forsythia blooms, then another application about three months afterwards. The only time I had a crabgrass problem was a couple years ago when I stupidly (and knowingly) used a preemergent that was a couple years over it’s shelf life. Self imposed problem for sure.

Crabgrass is fairly easy to control.I do a preemergent around when the forsythia blooms, then another application about three months afterwards. The only time I had a crabgrass problem was a couple years ago when I stupidly (and knowingly) used a preemergent that was a couple years over it’s shelf life. Self imposed problem for sure.
Never knew you could put it down more than once a season.

That 3 month thing could put us in the consistent 80’s daily temps. Which I thought was as the cut off?

Never knew you could put it down more than once a season.

That 3 month thing could put us in the consistent 80’s daily temps. Which I thought was as the cut off?
Yea, I actually do three apps ( another in august or early September for Poa annua and fall/winter germinating weeds). I generally use Dimension (a.I Dithiopyr). I do preemergent up to 85 degrees so you can find an early morning or early evening time that’s fine. I worry more about post emergent herbicides in hot weather. There are limits regarding per use applications and annual overall limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1
I’ve used Prodiamine in March and June before with good success. You just gotta measure what you are using. This year I only used it in March. Not really any crabgrass but I did have more weeds then normal pop up. They mostly came up were the lawn was suffering from the heat and lack of rain.

My lawn finally looks decent again. That weeks were we got 5”+ of rain brought it back to life. I don’t have irrigation so I was watering a decent amount with my portable sprinklers and they just couldn’t keep up with the lack of rain and heat it seemed. I had some nutsedge pop up in spots I knocked it out with one app of SedgeHammer. That stuff works great on it. I used SpeedZone on the other weeds.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Our lawn has held up really well except for a couple of very small dry spots that browned out. Our biggest issue, which I noted above, was a nutsedge invasion that I did not spray, but meticulously pulled up the tall, light green stalks over the course of the last few weeks. Saw several other lawns that had much worse nutsedge problems.
You pulled the nutsedge plants? Oof. Your little nutsedge problem will be a bigger nutsedge problem next year.

@phs73rc77gsm83 … I just over seeded my sons lawn (very small yard). An assortment of common weeds were taking over. Is there any versatile weed control I should apply now with the new seed, or should I wait for the new seed to take root and apply later in the fall? Or for that matter should I wait till spring? As always thanks for your advice!

@phs73rc77gsm83 … I just over seeded my sons lawn (very small yard). An assortment of common weeds were taking over. Is there any versatile weed control I should apply now with the new seed, or should I wait for the new seed to take root and apply later in the fall? Or for that matter should I wait till spring? As always thanks for your advice!
You can use a product with Mesotrione (e.g., see below) that will prevent weeds from germinating for about 30 days while allowing grass seed to germinate. It really won’t kill existing established weeds, though. Most post emergent weed killers really shouldn’t be applied until the new seedlings have been cut three or four times (or about 30-40 days). You can also spot spray heavy weed areas and then put down some more seed. Good luck!

Threw down what was left of my Hogan TTF seed mix on Sunday after cutting and dethatching on Saturday. Sprayed some Tenacity as well. Once again though the lack of rain is browning up my grass fast. I have the sprinkler going 3 times a day for 15 min each. Hoping for rain tomorrow but if we get any it dosent look like much ugh. Hopefully I get some germination.

Threw down what was left of my Hogan TTF seed mix on Sunday after cutting and dethatching on Saturday. Sprayed some Tenacity as well. Once again though the lack of rain is browning up my grass fast. I have the sprinkler going 3 times a day for 15 min each. Hoping for rain tomorrow but if we get any it dosent look like much ugh. Hopefully I get some germination.
Another Hogan customer. Stuff is gold!!! Got a browning issue too.

Lawn took a beating this year, I had an irrigation issue back in July and did not get enough water down. As a result I will be power seeding this Saturday with hopes to have some decent germination. I have my sprinkler system set up to run from 8am to 8pm every hour for 5 mins to keep the seeds moist.

With the impending rain and not going to be around this weekend, ran around at 6:30 a.m. this morning doing an overseeding hack job and "raking" in the seed with my shoes. Seems I'm seeding the same bare spots every fall. I did add topsoil to the bare spots last weekend.

With the impending rain and not going to be around this weekend, ran around at 6:30 a.m. this morning doing an overseeding hack job and "raking" in the seed with my shoes. Seems I'm seeding the same bare spots every fall. I did add topsoil to the bare spots last weekend.
With the exception of this year and the lawn being so bad, I usually have two spots that I have to seed every year. They are in full sun from sunrise to sunset with no shade in between.

Reactions: Knight Shift
With the exception of this year and the lawn being so bad, I usually have two spots that I have to seed every year. They are in full sun from sunrise to sunset with no shade in between.
I have a couple/few of spots the sprinklers miss. Have wasted hours trying to adjust the spray pattern, rotation, etc. I need a couple of more heads, and may finally cave and add them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT