ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Euro 2020 starts today

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Albeit a year late, can’t wait to watch this great tournament.

As an Italy fan, for all of our international and World Cup success, we’ve only won Euro once in 1968.

Heartbreaking losses include France in the final (equalizer in extra time followed by a golden goal), Spain in the final 5 years ago (they dominated) and Germany 3 years ago via PK’s.

Here’s to the return of soccer….
Forza Azzurri, Forza Italia !!! 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

Liked the odds for Italy and Germany so threw some cash on them. Love the Euros! Hopefully a country advances to knock out rounds that no one expects. Always the best like Greece and Iceland.

Lets go Scotland! First international tournament since 1998. England game will be huge. And they are stuck in a very tough group. I do not see them moving forward, but lets give it a go!

Italy is my dark horse team to win, but since I'm moving to England in the fall I have to root for them. Football's coming home this summer.

Lets go Scotland! First international tournament since 1998. England game will be huge. And they are stuck in a very tough group. I do not see them moving forward, but lets give it a go!
As I mentioned elsewhere, like they try to have conference mates not face each other early in tournaments here, it's not too much to ask that those who share an island should not be in the same group. I would love to see the Redcoats and Scots both advance.

Liked the odds for Italy and Germany so threw some cash on them. Love the Euros! Hopefully a country advances to knock out rounds that no one expects. Always the best like Greece and Iceland.
Watching Greece survive and advance the way they did in '04, then just happening to be on our way from Neptune's (Hamptons) to the shore, THAT DAY, and stopping off for the celebration in Astoria was simply amazing! My family was so damn jealous lol!!!

As I mentioned elsewhere, like they try to have conference mates not face each other early in tournaments here, it's not too much to ask that those who share an island should not be in the same group. I would love to see the Redcoats and Scots both advance.
Is there are plenty of countries paired with a bordering country - Italy/Switzerland, Belgium/Denmark, Finland/Russia, Poland/Slovakia, Germany/France. Being on an Island does not give Endland & Scotland special consideration.

Complete different setup in qualifying and setting the groups, however, can't be done that way. England literally opens with the team they lost to in the WC Semis (Croatia)!!!

Pulling for the Belgians (esp. Alderweireld and Vertonghen) though they will need to overcome Roberto Martinez' coaching.

Is there are plenty of countries paired with a bordering country - Italy/Switzerland, Belgium/Denmark, Finland/Russia, Poland/Slovakia, Germany/France. Being on an Island does not give Endland & Scotland special consideration.
Folks are often waaaayy too serious here. I'm good with European geography and know what a nightmare (and how unfair logistically for many) it would be.

I think Scotland could finish 2nd, to me the Croatian squad is underwhelming, England will probably win the group, and Czech is not very good. Remember some 3rd place teams advance too....

I think Scotland could finish 2nd, to me the Croatian squad is underwhelming, England will probably win the group, and Czech is not very good. Remember some 3rd place teams advance too....
Croatia has a strong midfield. They'll get thru in 2nd at worst.

Reactions: cshelley
Albeit a year late, can’t wait to watch this great tournament.

As an Italy fan, for all of our international and World Cup success, we’ve only won Euro once in 1968.

Heartbreaking losses include France in the final (equalizer in extra time followed by a golden goal), Spain in the final 5 years ago (they dominated) and Germany 3 years ago via PK’s.

Here’s to the return of soccer….
Forza Azzurri, Forza Italia !!! 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹
It is North Macedonia's tournament.

Everybody else is playing for 2nd.

Pulling for the Belgians (esp. Alderweireld and Vertonghen) though they will need to overcome Roberto Martinez' coaching.
This might finally be the Belgians year, as the #1 team, but this group of veterans haven't won anything yet and time is running out. Big favorite is France - one analyst said if they split into two teams those teams would meet in the finals (he was only slightly kidding). Wonder who the surprise team will be (like Iceland was last time).

Looks like De Bruyne will be back in a game or two, certainly post-group-stage (and they'll make it out of the group). My question is how the hell did they get France, Germany, and Portugal all in one group? All three are among the top 8 betting favorites.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruyne-ruled-belgium-euro-2020-165502304.html
Honestly that's news to me. Thought he was ruled out all tourney. I still don't think they win it all though. The last WC was their time to shine and Croatia got the better of them.

There's always 1 group of death!

Looks like De Bruyne will be back in a game or two, certainly post-group-stage (and they'll make it out of the group). My question is how the hell did they get France, Germany, and Portugal all in one group? All three are among the top 8 betting favorites.

The fun thing with that group is all 3 probably will make it through and whoever gets 3rd will probably have a very favorable trip to the semis once the knockout bracket plays out.

The short and oversimplified answer is that the draw was conducted from four pots of six teams each, using the UEFA power rankings to determine the pots. Teams ranked 1-6 were in Pot 1, 7-12 in Pot 2, 13-18 in Pot 3, and the rest in Pot 4.

Germany was rated #4, in Pot 1.
France was rated #7, in Pot 2.
Portugal was rated #13, in Pot 3.

The luck of the draw put two teams rated at the top of their pot, in the same group.

The short and oversimplified answer is that the draw was conducted from four pots of six teams each, using the UEFA power rankings to determine the pots. Teams ranked 1-6 were in Pot 1, 7-12 in Pot 2, 13-18 in Pot 3, and the rest in Pot 4.

Germany was rated #4, in Pot 1.
France was rated #7, in Pot 2.
Portugal was rated #13, in Pot 3.

The luck of the draw put two teams rated at the top of their pot, in the same group.

Portugal is a scary team. Fernandez and Ronaldo (still) can win a match at any time. Terrible draw for the Germans but they tend to get into form right on time historically. I'm doubtful this time however.

Impressed with Italy yesterday.

Portugal is a scary team. Fernandez and Ronaldo (still) can win a match at any time. Terrible draw for the Germans but they tend to get into form right on time historically. I'm doubtful this time however.

Impressed with Italy yesterday.
Funny thing is, if a third team makes it out of that group they could win it all. Group of death.

Wales-Switzerland from Azerrbaijan? Is that still Europe? Doesn't seem right.

Just saw the Swiis goal and had to turn it off.. bigger offensive player on a CK just holds smaller defender in then steps back to get a clean header. Same dude used his hands earlier in the first half in the box to control a defender, grabbing jersey. I just don't like how soccer is officiated.

Last edited:
Wales-Switzerland from Azerrbaijan? Is that still Europe? Doesn't seem right.

Just saw the Swiis goal and had to turn it off.. bigger offensive player on a CK just holds smaller defender in then steps back to get a clean header. Same dude used his hands earlier in the first half in the box to control a defender, grabbing jersey. I just don't like how soccer is officiated.
I believe it spans across Asia and Europe like Russia does (correct me if I'm wrong). The Euros is being played across 11 different Cities across Europe, it was supposed to be the 60th anniversary celebration in 2020.

I believe it spans across Asia and Europe like Russia does (correct me if I'm wrong). The Euros is being played across 11 different Cities across Europe, it was supposed to be the 60th anniversary celebration in 2020.
I suppose this side of the Caspian Sea is at least Eurasia.

Eriksen from Denmark just collapsed. They were performing CPR. Horrible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT