ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Francesa Successor

RU Cheese

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2003
Mike's spot to be filled by Evan Roberts and Joe Benigno. Interesting given all the chaos and moves that occurred last time he left.

Im sure all the Michael Kay fans will rejoice but will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think John Jastremski is the best guy at the whole station, but I understand this move, because it’s a way to reach for two demographics at once in terms of age.

Reactions: Postman_1
Jastremski is too much about gambling. Might as well call the station WFANduel. Big swing for a station that just had a host busted for massive gambling problem.

I like Bart (I'm football only listener) but not Raggie so Joe and Evan are good. Joe used to be good with CFB but not so much anymore. At least they don't do as much office gossip as others like the morning guys

Other that JJ or Kim Jones, right move since these two are a good team. Better than the clusterbuck the station tried to do last year.

BTW, (maybe not sue but...) I would be p***ed if I was Carlin. Left a Philly job for that Clusterbuck only to get rearranged, fired then find out that the reason for the new and newer jobs left again.

The 10am to 2pm will be filled by Maggie Gray and Bart Scott? Ugh.

Don't care for either of them. I can take Bart but Maggie is downright insufferable. I find her voice grating and her opinions tend to be ... well ... ill-informed to put it politely. Kind of like the Beth Mowins of radio. And I'm not saying this because she's a women. Kim Jones is a women and I think she does a great job whenever she's on WFAN.

The 10am to 2pm will be filled by Maggie Gray and Bart Scott? Ugh.

Don't care for either of them. I can take Bart but Maggie is downright insufferable. I find her voice grating and her opinions tend to be ... well ... ill-informed to put it politely. Kind of like the Beth Mowins of radio. And I'm not saying this because she's a women. Kim Jones is a women and I think she does a great job whenever she's on WFAN.

Bart is leaving for ESPN, i agree maggie is awful. I bet its either Maggie and JJ or Maggie and Moose. "Queen" Maggie is unfortunately under contract through 2020

Joe & Evan are entertaining in small doses, but they are way too local and cynical for extended periods. Joe loves (and hates) every team I root for and he’s just so negative. Full switch to Mad Dog.

Thank God Chris Ash did not apply. With his interview skills he would have landed the spot.

I like Joe and Evan. I think Evan will be good with another host for drivetime. Joe is the one who is only good in small doses. I actually don't even mind when Evan hosts alone. I think him and JJ long term after Joe retires could be a good pairing. Too much Mets/Jets misery with Joe and Evan but JJ is a Yankees fan so that will balance Evan out a bit.

Reactions: RUDave_01
Jastremski is too much about gambling. Might as well call the station WFANduel. Big swing for a station that just had a host busted for massive gambling problem.

I like Bart (I'm football only listener) but not Raggie so Joe and Evan are good. Joe used to be good with CFB but not so much anymore. At least they don't do as much office gossip as others like the morning guys

Both WFAN and ESPN are hard for me to listen to as it seems like very other commercial is a live read for one of the gambling services. I get that it's big business, but I'm not a gambler and all the commercials are geared to sucking in the first-timers.

Reactions: ashokan
Anyone would be an improvement. I never understood how Frances-er had a job. With apologies to Churchill -- Never before have so many listeners allowed a man to make so much with so little.

Both WFAN and ESPN are hard for me to listen to as it seems like very other commercial is a live read for one of the gambling services. I get that it's big business, but I'm not a gambler and all the commercials are geared to sucking in the first-timers.

Yes, and its the young guys who get pulled in and addicted. I had one semester where I arrived early and we played poker with pocket change to pass the time. By Thanksgiving we were doing hundred of (80s) dollars lol. Learned my lesson. As the old preachers said: 'Hell creeps up on ya!"

I can’t see Joe working this time slot for too long. Eventually Evan will be paired with JJ.

Agree. Never liked Benigno after the first few years since graduating CSB. Opinionated in a way that is not likable imo. But to each his own.

JJ and Evan may be an interesting combo that would own the younger audience over Michael Kay. In the 3pm time slot they could grab market share. Yuppie gamblers?

No reason to get rid of Somers. His opening monologues can be sometimes entertaining and he is only on when no one is really listening anyway.
I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than listen to Somers.

Reactions: RUPete
Last edited:
Reactions: soundcrib
Without the Schmoozer, there would not have been all-time WFAN callers like Short Al from Brooklyn, Doris from Rego Park, Jerome from Manhattan, Miriam from Forest Hills. Short Al from Brooklyn my all-time favorite. The great WFAN caller Bruce from Bayside, who is deceased, was a Rutgers grad and a tremendous asset to WFAN.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/...2AE4793AA4056A8ACE&gwt=pay&assetType=REGIWALL

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/forest-hills-ny/bruce-lindner-7120362
Don't forget the Chief. His resignation was hysterical. John from Sandy Hook was another good one.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Is there some kind of bad blood between Francessa and Carlin? I thought they were friends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT