ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

Correct. It doesn’t mean he was good . Just means he was good by rutgers lowly standards . Our history and track record do quarterbacks stinks
Schiano QBs not named Teel in particular. Is not a coincidence. RU had other perfectly viable QBs under other coaches in the 80s and after.

Schiano develops defensive players just fine. But the offensive philosophy and risk aversion scares the good QBs off.

Schiano QBs not named Teel in particular. Is not a coincidence. RU had other perfectly viable QBs under other coaches in the 80s and after.
True
But qb guru Shea didn’t do much better . Gavin was better than all of shea’s guys except for McMahon.

That Miami defense was not on the field when they played us.
True... and does anyone think KM doesn't punch it with the same number of carries? I agree GW taking the sneaks was a safe call because you don't risk the hand-off. I will take the trade of handing it off, or pushing AK, with the expected improved accuracy and passing decisions of AK.

Also, comparing AK size to GW: both are listed as 6' 3" on the scarletknights.com bio pages. GW was 225 last year, AK is 213. That's not all that different.

Edited to acknowledge up front that Wimsatt is far more dangerous running between the 20s than AK will ever be. I'm talking about minimal changes on the goal line IMO.

Schiano develops defensive players just fine. But the offensive philosophy and risk aversion scares the good QBs off.

Just curious - which starting QB under either Schiano regime would you, Shelby, rate behind Gavin?

Your neutral in this one since you hate Schiano and they all played for him. Evan Simon doesn’t count. He was filling in for an injured Wimsatt / Vedral. Which true starter? Not Hart - right? not Teel. That covers most of his first era. Not Nova who played a little. You taking Wimsatt over Vedral? What about Dodd? Savage? I’d personally rank GW last among that entire group. Meaning - I think every other Schiano QB ended their career better than the redshirt sophomore version of Gavin.

Just curious - which starting QB under either Schiano regime would you, Shelby, rate behind Gavin?

You’re neutral in this one since you hate Schiano and they all played for him. Evan Simon doesn’t count. He was filling in for an injured Wimsatt / Vedral. Which true starter? Not Hart - right? not Teel. That covers most of his first era. Not Nova who played a little. You taking Wimsatt over Vedral? What about Dodd? Savage? I’d personally rank GW last among that entire group. Meaning - I think every other Schiano QB ended their career better than the redshirt sophomore version of Gavin.
I think GW is the second worst in a very weak list. Langan is the worst. He was a starter for a time. The fact that it is such a weak list is a clear reflection of Schiano’s offensive incompetence. Either that or he’s the unluckiest QB recruiter in history. Of course Schiano blames and fires his OCs, LOL.

Sure, Langan wasn’t a QB transfer but the fact that we had no one better was a disgrace.

Last edited:
True
But qb guru Shea didn’t do much better . Gavin was better than all of shea’s guys except for McMahon.
If you lower the bar enough,you can claim Gavin was great..
If you want to be honest, Wimsatt was just another RU QB that didn't do a good job.
you might want to rethink McMahon being the only Shea QB better than Gavin
Chad Schwenk might have fit that bill as well

Gavin :

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2021RutgersBig TenFRQB492142.9452.1-2.10241.8
2022RutgersBig TenSOQB86514544.87575.23.75790.4
*2023RutgersBig TenJRQB1313828947.817356.05.498102.9
CareerRutgers21245546.625375.64.5141796.1

Chad :

Passing​

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1999RutgersBig EastQB77212557.68456.85.834115.9
2000RutgersBig EastSOQB5347545.33304.42.31476.0
CareerRutgers10620053.011755.94.548101.0

I think GW is the second worst in a very weak list. Langan is the worst. He was a starter for a time. The fact that it is such a weak list is a clear reflection of Schiano’s offensive incompetence. Either that or he’s the unluckiest QB recruiter in history. Of course Schiano blames and fires his OCs, LOL.

Sure, Langan wasn’t a QB transfer but the fact that we had no one better was a disgrace.

Did Langan ever start for Greg? I don’t think so. I thought he only started for his HS coach when Ash was fired. I asked about the Schiano regimes.

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
True... and does anyone think KM doesn't punch it with the same number of carries? I agree GW taking the sneaks was a safe call because you don't risk the hand-off. I will take the trade of handing it off, or pushing AK, with the expected improved accuracy and passing decisions of AK.

Also, comparing AK size to GW: both are listed as 6' 3" on the scarletknights.com bio pages. GW was 225 last year, AK is 213. That's not all that different.

Edited to acknowledge up front that Wimsatt is far more dangerous running between the 20s than AK will ever be. I'm talking about minimal changes on the goal line IMO.
Gavin mainly ran on designed running plays that could have easily been taken by our running backs. That is not adding any real value out of the QB position. Running QBs who break defenses are guys who drop to pass, and when no one is open, can pull the ball down and gash the defense for 15-20 yards. Gavin almost never did this.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Did Langan ever start for Greg? I don’t think so. I thought he only started for his HS coach when Ash was fired. I asked about the Schiano regimes.
Absolutely did. Off and on 2020-2022. Hardly ever passed because he couldn't. Maybe 1 TD pass (a Tebow jump pass on a fake dive). Yet Schiano was fine with that. I repeat: disgraceful QB situation from an incompetent coach's philosophy. Inexcusable that there wasn't anyone better instead.

As much as Wimsatt sucked, he's Steve Young compared to Langan the QB.

Absolutely did. Off and on 2020-2022. Hardly ever passed because he couldn't. Maybe 1 TD pass (a Tebow jump pass on a fake dive). Yet Schiano was fine with that. I repeat: disgraceful QB situation from an incompetent coach's philosophy. Inexcusable that there wasn't anyone better instead.

As much as Wimsatt sucked, he's Steve Young compared to Langan the QB.

I might have to go through the play by play. Specifically, which game do you recall him starting after 2019? Unless we threw a curveball and opened once or twice with Langan package that would be it (specifically - I don’t recall him ever taking snaps in more than one consecutive series of a game except to otherwise come in on 3rd lr 4th and short. When Vedral got hurt in 2020, Sitowski filled in as the main QB and got most of the snaps. Vedral started every game in 2021. Again - Langan had a package but he was not a starter. That could’ve been Kyle or Sam Brown running wildcat just as easily for a play. In 2022 - Vedral, Simon and Wimsatt were the starters. Again - which game are you thinking of where we went with Langan as QB1?

If you lower the bar enough,you can claim Gavin was great..
If you want to be honest, Wimsatt was just another RU QB that didn't do a good job.

Gavin is Rutgers' record holder for rushing yards and TDs in a season.
Gavin also led the B1G QBs in the same
Gavin also had offers from ND, Oregon, Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, TCU and other top teams.
He didn't get offers because he was mediocre.

As a dual threat his running is typically better than his passing and his running is quite good.
At Army or Navy he could get 20+ TDs - he just eats yard once over the LOS (defenders often misjudge speed).
Kentucky knows he can run and that's why they talk about the Wild Cat and running packages for him.
UK wants a running QB according to OC.
UK also impressed with long balls (avoided by RU - OL problems on long passing)

"Wimsatt struggled with three-level accuracy last season on tape. Looks like he aims the ball on short passes around the line of scrimmage and misfires on slants. Better at pushing the ball downfield showing some good touch and ball placement on throws up the seam and down the sideline."

I always said GW is a long ball thrower and thats OK because that's harder than the passes Vedral was good at

He started for TE for Greg.
He did play a lot of QB for Greg too , although not as a starter. It worked in that Purdue game in 2020 , which is one of our best BIG wins all time !!!

He was the coach too long !!!
And they all stunk . Not worth the list
my point was, Shea was here 5 years and Schiano nearly 3 times longer. Shea didn't have the crappy, extended track record of dismal QB play that Schiano did/does.

He started for TE for Greg.
He did play a lot of QB for Greg too , although not as a starter. It worked in that Purdue game in 2020 , which is one of our best BIG wins all time !!!
Yeah, on second thought he might not have been a starter (can't recall) but he did get a lot of snaps and was a terrible QB even compared to Wimsatt.

It's undeniable that Schiano is a pox on the QB position...the most important position. It's almost impossible to believe that all of a sudden he will be any better with AK.

Yeah, on second thought he might not have been a starter (can't recall) but he did get a lot of snaps and was a terrible QB even compared to Wimsatt.

It's undeniable that Schiano is a pox on the QB position...the most important position. It's almost impossible to believe that all of a sudden he will be any better with AK.

My point was in the context of the list of Schiano QB 1s to rank, Langan really shouldn’t count. He got sporadic snaps in short down situations with a specific package designed to muscle out a few yards - his primary position under Greg was tight end. He was a tough kid. Only played QB as a starter in 2019 because of an obscure situation when Ash was fired where everyone else quit or refused to play. We might’ve had to forfeit if he didn’t agree to go out there and get his butt kicked. Gotta respect that.

I’ll add - while Greg doesn’t have a “great” record with QBs, even you (of all people when it comes to Schiano) just admitted that Wimsatt was something of an exception -not the rule. He was the worst one among all QBs who actually won a starting role under Schiano, and its not really close. Teel, Hart, Savage, Nova, Dodd, Vedral all significantly better than him.

@ Plum - do you disagree? How would you rank the list above - Schiano QB 1s? For the avoidance of doubt - let’s say you could plug each of these QBs in a sim for every game to date of both Schiano eras. Who if any would have a worse record than Gavin overall?

Last edited:
My point was in the context of the list of Schiano QB 1s to rank, Langan really shouldn’t count. He got sporadic snaps in short down situations with a specific package designed to muscle out a few yards - his primary position under Greg was tight end. He was a tough kid. Only played QB as a starter in 2019 because of an obscure situation when Ash was fired where everyone else quit or refused to play. We might’ve had to forfeit if he didn’t agree to go out there and get his butt kicked. Gotta respect that.

I’ll add - while Greg doesn’t have a “great” record with QBs, even you (of all people when it comes to Schiano) just admitted that Wimsatt was something of an exception -not the rule. He was the worst one among all QBs who actually won a starting role under Schiano, and its not really close. Teel, Hart, Savage, Nova, Dodd, Vedral all significantly better than him.

@ Plum - do you disagree? How would you rank the list above - Schiano QB 1s? For the avoidance of doubt - let’s say you could plug each of these QBs in a sim for every game to date of both Schiano eras. Who if any would have a worse record than Gavin overall?
Schiano QB1s ….if that’s the question, you gotta rank them by what they accomplished with Schiano. So for a guy like nova , he only played part of a freshman year for Schiano and Dodd played more for Schiano and won the pinstripe . Therefore, Dodd has to be ranked higher with the way your question is posed. . So here we go

1. Teel; 2. Hart; 3. Savage; 4. Dodd; 5. Wimsatt; 6. Vedral; 7. Nova ; 8. Simon; 9. Cubit; 10. Natale; 11. Trump

That was a quick list I just threw together , I think i hit all of schiano’s starting QBs , but may have missed.

Yes, but schiano helped him break Tampa records in 2012
I refer to the

I would argue he’s not an exception; yes he’s one of the worst but he has crappy company too. The common denominator is Schiano. Many QBs, many OCs but one head coach entirely to blame for the revolving door QB shitshow

Schiano QB1s ….if that’s the question, you gotta rank them by what they accomplished with Schiano. So for a guy like nova , he only played part of a freshman year for Schiano and Dodd played more for Schiano and won the pinstripe . Therefore, Dodd has to be ranked higher with the way your question is posed. . So here we go

1. Teel; 2. Hart; 3. Savage; 4. Dodd; 5. Wimsatt; 6. Vedral; 7. Nova ; 8. Simon; 9. Cubit; 10. Natale; 11. Trump

That was a quick list I just threw together , I think i hit all of schiano’s starting QBs , but may have missed.

I didn’t ask whose team accomplished more. Thats not fair. QBs don’t play in a vaccum and we’re not talking about your plum All Star criteria here.

This is a different question. Suppose this was a draft. It’s your last pick and we need a QB for this year’s team. The rest of the team is set (the rest of our current roster except QB in tact). Your choices are the QB 1 guys I offered - Schiano’s legacy starters. Natale doesn’t count. He was only a back up. I’ll allow you to count cubit but note that he only started in Schiano’s first year at RU and then lost his spot. Who else would you pick Gavin ahead of?

By the way - I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Shelby must be wrong here about the Schiano era QBs standing out as the worst in our history. The eras before Schiano are before my time, but having recounted the list of starters for Greg - if those are among the worst QBs in our history - that’d be pretty damn good.

Last edited:
I really don't see the point of this discussion. All that matters is that Kaliakmanis looked better in practice and so the coaches decided to go with him over Wimsatt. That doesn't mean that Wimsatt was bad; it just means the coaching staff thought Kaliakmanis was better.

Why debate where Wimsatt stands in the pantheon of Rutgers' QBs? Again, all that matters is that we now have someone who the coaches think will be better. We'll see whether they're right.

Correct. It doesn’t mean he was good . Just means he was good by rutgers lowly standards . Our history and track record do quarterbacks stinks
Rutgers and fans don't have standards which accept bad QB as "good" just because it's happened frequently. That's a very weird statement to make.

I really don't see the point of this discussion. All that matters is that Kaliakmanis looked better in practice and so the coaches decided to go with him over Wimsatt. That doesn't mean that Wimsatt was bad; it just means the coaching staff thought Kaliakmanis was better.

Why debate where Wimsatt stands in the pantheon of Rutgers' QBs? Again, all that matters is that we now have someone who the coaches think will be better. We'll see whether they're right.
He was bad. Lowest rated passer in all of D1 bad. Has any other Rutgers QB held a similar distinction ?

Anyhow, having discussions like this are what fans do. Best, worst, and so on. Are the White Sox the worst team ever? Who’s the biggest NBA draft bust ever ? Is LBJ better than MJ ? These aren’t important questions, but it’s what we do.

It comes with the territory….

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I didn’t ask whose team accomplished more. Thats not fair. QBs don’t play in a vaccum and we’re not talking about your plum All Star criteria here.

This is a different question. Suppose this was a draft. It’s your last pick and we need a QB for this year’s team. The rest of the team is set (the rest of our current roster except QB in tact). Your choices are the QB 1 guys I offered - Schiano’s legacy starters. Natale doesn’t count. He was only a back up. I’ll allow you to count cubit but note that he only started in Schiano’s first year at RU and then lost his spot. Who else would you pick Gavin ahead of?

By the way - I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Shelby must be wrong here about the Schiano era QBs standing out as the worst in our history. The eras before Schiano are before my time, but having recounted the list of starters for Greg - if those are among the worst QBs in our history - that’d be pretty damn good.
Except for Teel, I think most of the QB1s for other coaches since Dick Anderson were better than Schiano’s QB1s.

There must be some duds I’m forgetting over the last 40 years but I can’t recall very many worse than who Schiano has had. And I don’t count Savage as a Schiano QB1 because Schiano used him more as a third and long sub in his bad joke Wild Knight primary offense.

You asked to rank schiano’s quarterbacks . Thats what I did . Do you disagree with my rankings?
Now you’re moving the goalposts to get the answer you want

You asked to rank schiano’s quarterbacks . Thats what I did . Do you disagree with my rankings?
Now you’re moving the goalposts to get the answer you want

It not that - we’ve already beat a dead horse in disagreement about what ranking criteria should be to assess greatness (all star status - whatever we call it). Nevermind. Your entitled to your opinion. That’s done. I’m giving GW his accolades and whatever that’s worth to you looking forward. He drove a BIG team to a 7-6 record. The other guys did whatever they did each for their respective prior teams. Each retains their resumes - for whatever that’s worth. There is a caveat to fall back on here which is that Gavin is only a redshirt JR so he has 2 more years to become better. We can revisit this if Al’s prophecy for Gavin comes true at UK.

The question again - factoring whatever you
like in from each resume - it’s now your pick in the draft for the last position on our 24-25 roster. The prior starting QBs under Greg are the choices. Whoever you pick will start for RU. Who ya got and in what order?

This question by the way - is aimed at illustrating a point to the “hate Schiano fan club” - who now seem to be focused on how dreadful Greg’s QB history has been (it’s all they have left really with everything else trending up). I’m reflecting here on who the “best” and “worst” choices would be of Schiano QBs looking forward based on their development under him. If the worst choice among a portfolio of starting QB from over a 15 year regime just took us to a bowl in his only year running the show that ain’t half bad…

I’ll add - that we would likely be nationally ranked in the AP poll with some of these choices. With super senior Teel, we might even be close to top 10.

Last edited:
What I see a lot of in this thread.. "anyone could have gotten those yards." "Anyone could have scored those tds.". "Worst QB in Rutgers history but team went to a bowl"... "He's not a dual threat"

These are emotional statements...all of this disdain for Wimsatt is emotional, idk how you can have played or understand football and still say these things unless you're trying to discredit someone to support your own personal emotional stance.....move on omg

Reactions: Plum Street
What I see a lot of in this thread.. "anyone could have gotten those yards." "Anyone could have scored those tds.". "Worst QB in Rutgers history but team went to a bowl"...

These are emotional statements...all of this disdain for Wimsatt is emotional, idk how you can have played or understand football and still say these things unless you're trying to discredit someone to support your own personal emotional stance.....move on omg

Actually no - it’s really the opposite of emotional negativity towards Gavin. Converting those 1 yard TDs and such support the idea that he “wasn’t that bad” and at the end of the day did enough (as the one guy touching the ball every play) to get us to a bowl game with one of the toughest schedules in the country. That’s the right way of putting it, rather than trying to make the things he did right sound like Heisman accomplishments.

If anything - what the comparison’s show is that Greg probably gets an unfair shake in terms of how bad QB development is perceived under his regime. I don’t think anyone would pick Gavin over the majority of Schiano’s other prior QB1s if any of them could magically obtain another year of eligibility and retain their youth - Hart, Savage, Dodd, Nova, etc. Every other position group is trending up. That puts the floor on QB outcomes in Schiano’s systems at a guy who did enough to get us to (and win) a bowl game last year with one of the hardest schedules in the country. While we haven’t had any super star QBs, this doesn’t support the horror show guys like Shelby have made QB development under Greg out to be.

What I see a lot of in this thread.. "anyone could have gotten those yards." "Anyone could have scored those tds.". "Worst QB in Rutgers history but team went to a bowl"... "He's not a dual threat"

Then how about an analytical approach:

As @PSAL_Hoops said, if it were a draft, who would you pick?

For myself I'd take Hart.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Then how about an analytical approach:

As @PSAL_Hoops said, if it were a draft, who would you pick?

For myself I'd take Hart.

I actually think there’s a good chance we’d be nationally ranked going into the season with Hart or Teel. Savage for sure following his season at Pitt but that wouldn’t be fair since Greg doesn’t get credit for that. And Nova mostly developed under Fridge. I think most folks would still take Savage or Nova (after his frosh year) over the current version of Gavin.

I would love to have a healthy Vedral on the roster - I think he’d do really well with next year’s surrounding cast. Underrated runner and really reliable in the short and medium game. I think we’d get a ton of explosive plays on yards after. Hoping AK can give us what I know Vedral could’ve given based on 2020 and early 2021 performance.

Everybody likes to beat up on Wimsatt.

I think he was instrumental in us getting to 7 wins, despite the stats. Perhaps a more accurate passer would've got us to 8 wins, but our OL, while better than the prior season, was still better at run blocking than it was at pass blocking - so it's not a given. Wimsatt was improving a lot each season. For sure he struggled with passing accuracy, but that's not an impossible thing to improve.

So, I hope he continues the improvement, figures out the accuracy thing, and winds up in the NFL. Mostly because, why would I hope for anything less for a kid that chose to come to play for RUFB and who, by all accounts, is a nice kid?

I think he was instrumental in us getting to 7 wins, despite the stats

I don’t think anyone except Whitebus and Shelby have beaten up on him. Not agreeing that he was an All Star or future Heisman candidate is not the same “beating up” on him. Most folks give him credit for doing enough to get us to 7-6.

Perhaps a more accurate passer would've got us to 8 wins, but our OL, while better than the prior season, was still better at run blocking than it was at pass blocking - so it's not a given. Wimsatt was improving a lot each season.

While perhaps true that the run blocking was better than the pass blocking, it’d be untrue and unfair to blame any part of Gavin’s accuracy issues on the OL. By all counts he had a lot more time on average than either Vedral or Laviano had before him, for example. The throws he missed routinely in the flats had nothing to do with being pressured.

For sure he struggled with passing accuracy, but that's not an impossible thing to improve.
Absolutely - Nova made huge jumps under Fridge with his issues. Certainly possible.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I don’t think anyone except Whitebus and Shelby have beaten up on him. Not agreeing that he was an All Star or future Heisman candidate is not the same “beating up” on him. Most folks give him credit for doing enough to get us to 7-6.

While perhaps true that the run blocking was better than the pass blocking, it’d be untrue and unfair to blame any part of Gavin’s accuracy issues on the OL. By all counts he had a lot more time on average than either Vedral or Laviano had before him, for example. The throws he missed routinely in the flats had nothing to do with being pressured.

Absolutely - Nova made huge jumps under Fridge with his issues. Certainly possible.
ha ha. "despite the stats". Lowest rated passer in the country. Stats matter. Compared to 110+ others, he was the worst. No other way to spin it. Terrible. The Titanic was a marvelous ship, despite the 1500 deaths and sinking on her first trip.

Despite his stats, Zach Wilson was a good QB for the Jets.

I think he was instrumental in us getting to 7 wins, despite the stats. Perhaps a more accurate passer would've got us to 8 wins, but our OL, while better than the prior season, was still better at run blocking than it was at pass blocking - so it's not a given. Wimsatt was improving a lot each season. For sure he struggled with passing accuracy, but that's not an impossible thing to improve.

So, I hope he continues the improvement, figures out the accuracy thing, and winds up in the NFL. Mostly because, why would I hope for anything less for a kid that chose to come to play for RUFB and who, by all accounts, is a nice kid?
In fairness, he did throw some horrific game-changing interceptions in a couple of games that completely blew any chance RU had to win.

ha ha. "despite the stats". Lowest rated passer in the country. Stats matter. Compared to 110+ others, he was the worst. No other way to spin it. Terrible. The Titanic was a marvelous ship, despite the 1500 deaths and sinking on her first trip.

Despite his stats, Zach Wilson was a good QB for the Jets.

He was the least accurate passing QB, competing against one of the toughest schedules in the country. That’s not exactly the same thing as what you said. That doesn’t make him the worst all around QB.

There’s no way it’s the case that if you plugged each of the other 109 QBs in they all could’ve done enough to allow us to win 7 games. Not close to it. Some of the things:

1) His turnover rate was low. There are plenty of QBs who would’ve wasted the good efforts of our D beating themselves.

2) He shares credit with the OL for our low sack rate - his ability to run contributed to that where other QBs would’ve gotten pulled down for lost yardage, or worse, failed to hang onto the ball.

3) he executed a handful of explosive plays with his legs that many others wouldn’t have done.

While these things don’t make him a Heisman candidate, they also don’t put him in line for anything close to worst QB in FBS.

He was the least accurate passing QB, competing against one of the toughest schedules in the country. That’s not exactly the same thing as what you said. That doesn’t make him the worst all around QB.

There’s no way it’s the case that if you plugged each of the other 109 QBs in they all could’ve done enough to allow us to win 7 games. Not close to it. Some of the things:

1) His turnover rate was low. There are plenty of QBs who would’ve wasted the good efforts of our D beating themselves.

2) He shares credit with the OL for our low sack rate - his ability to run contributed to that where other QBs would’ve gotten pulled down for lost yardage, or worse, failed to hang onto the ball.

3) he executed a handful of explosive plays with his legs that many others wouldn’t have done.

While these things don’t make him a Heisman candidate, they also don’t put him in line for anything close to worst QB in FBS.
Sure, if you invent your own definition of QB skills and completely ignore passing that would certainly boost his assessment. But if that’s what you think QB play entails, why wasn’t Sam Brown or Langan QB1 ?

Didn’t he quick punt once or twice ? He hasn’t ever had a punt blocked either so that’s counts for something too, right ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT