ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting rid of cable but need help

Altrev

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2003
My wife and I have decided to get rid of our cable. What streaming service(s) would we need to have to be able to watch college football as well as the NFL?? Or is there another suggestion for a device or something?? Obviously, I’m pretty clueless when it come to this stuff. Thanks!

Wrong board but Youtube TV has the Big Ten network, great DVR capability, and your standard NFL options (CBS, FOX, plus the option for the NFL Network).

Hulu, in my experience, mostly blows.

I am in the same boat as you

My sister sent me to a site called SuperBox today. Not sure if anyone has used it before

YouTubeTV won’t save you as much relative to cable but will get you B1G network and a good selection of channels. YouTube also bought the NFL Sunday Ticket so if you want all the games its super easy as well. Or you can get NFL RedZone for extra as well for fantasy football.

I’ve had it for 3-4 years and never looked back. Warning though it is about 30 seconds behind live if that matters to you.

Reactions: OntheBanks
If you want to replicate local cable (NY/NJ) as much as possible, DirectTV Stream is the only way to go. Has all the college football channels you will need, YES, SNY, MSG, Golf Channel, NHL, Tennis Channel, etc. The big negative is that it's more expensive than the other services mentioned. Plus they are supposed to add NFL Network/RedZone now that it switched to YouTubeTV.

Reactions: MulletCork
Wrong board but Youtube TV has the Big Ten network, great DVR capability, and your standard NFL options (CBS, FOX, plus the option for the NFL Network).

Hulu, in my experience, mostly blows.
Why does Hulu blow?

YouTubeTV won’t save you as much relative to cable but will get you B1G network and a good selection of channels. YouTube also bought the NFL Sunday Ticket so if you want all the games its super easy as well. Or you can get NFL RedZone for extra as well for fantasy football.

I’ve had it for 3-4 years and never looked back. Warning though it is about 30 seconds behind live if that matters to you.
If you’re a Mets fan or Yankees fan, YouTube tv never carried YES. and cut SNY last week.
If you want to replicate local cable (NY/NJ) as much as possible, DirectTV Stream is the only way to go. Has all the college football channels you will need, YES, SNY, MSG, Golf Channel, NHL, Tennis Channel, etc. The big negative is that it's more expensive than the other services mentioned. Plus they are supposed to add NFL Network/RedZone now that it switched to YouTubeTV.
A few years ago, YouTubeTV was $49.99 a month. Now, it's $73.99 a month, and its sports package doesn't carry any local teams, but it's excellent for college football and basketball coverage. The truth is stream services are becoming more and more like cable. The cost is increasing, and the channels you are interested in suddenly dropped. They are replaced with niche (food, mystery, investigation, etc.) channels. You could spend as much money as you did with cable if you get the different stream services bundles you want.

Google is demonic but YTTV is good.
You can get your own router and stop paying the ISPs for one every month (Fios used to charge 12/month).
You can stream three devices at the same time for no extra.
You can watch a game on your phone anywhere you have data (or wifi of course).
Cancel and re-up when you want.
I only watch TV during football season

Last edited:
Everything he talks about cordcutting/streaming like it is so great, but the old model favored people who watch a wide variety of programming just like it favored the entities such as ESPN. We were both benefiting from the people who watched less subsidizing us.

I used to have about 500 channels on Direct TV including all of the sports I watched and I paid about $180 per month.

Now I pay about $130-140 a month for YTTV, Amazon, Netflix and the Disney bundle. I would still need to pay another $40 to get most of the soccer and other sports I used to have (Peacock, Paramount*,NESN). I would still not have some channels like NHL network and watching multiple games on different providers sucks compared to the “back” button on my DTV remote.

I’m sure the new paradigm is great for those who don’t watch much TV. It sucks for someone who watches a ton of sports.

Nobody has mentioned fuboTV.

Have had YouTubeTV for several years now, but as others have mentioned, cost keeps creeping up, and channels of interest keep getting removed. Plus, Google is evil, and it tracks everything your view, unless you go into your Google account and shut off the YouTubeTV tracking settings. If you do that, then you can't switch between the channels you recently watched.

Strongly considering FuboTV. Seems to have more sports coverage.

OP asked for what is needed.

(1) Need a high speed internet connection, likely through your cable company or Verizon
(2) Most modern "smart TVs" will let you load YouTube TV, FuboTV, etc as an app. IMO, one of better devices is Roku. There are different price points for Roku. Some like AppleTV better. I would avoid Amazon FireTV and FireSticks, as their devices are clogged with bloatware and Amazon crap.

I don't think FuboTV has the CW channel Pix11 if that matters to you. They still carry some Mets games.

You can do free trials of YouTubeTV and FuboTV, and see which one you like.

Reactions: Will Scarlet
Nobody has mentioned fuboTV.

Have had YouTubeTV for several years now, but as others have mentioned, cost keeps creeping up, and channels of interest keep getting removed. Plus, Google is evil, and it tracks everything your view, unless you go into your Google account and shut off the YouTubeTV tracking settings. If you do that, then you can't switch between the channels you recently watched.

Strongly considering FuboTV. Seems to have more sports coverage.

OP asked for what is needed.

(1) Need a high speed internet connection, likely through your cable company or Verizon
(2) Most modern "smart TVs" will let you load YouTube TV, FuboTV, etc as an app. IMO, one of better devices is Roku. There are different price points for Roku. Some like AppleTV better. I would avoid Amazon FireTV and FireSticks, as their devices are clogged with bloatware and Amazon crap.

I don't think FuboTV has the CW channel Pix11 if that matters to you. They still carry some Mets games.

You can do free trials of YouTubeTV and FuboTV, and see which one you like.

Fubo is not a solution if you are a fan of the NCAA basketball tournament, the NBA or NHL, as it does not have the Turner networks.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Bottom line is after you pay for internet service, add any of the streaming services and then a premium channel, you are not saving much compared to cable and FIOS fiber services. If you want to go bare bones, you can just do internet and buy a high quality HD antenna. You can now get high quality of all the local channels including ABC, NBC, CBS, Wpix, etc for free with the antenna. With a smart TV you can also get 1000’s of channels on Pluto tv, Vudu or Roku for free. Also , check your mobile service. For example, TMobile will give you free NetFlix and Free Apple TV and if you have Amazon prime, you get Prime Video for free with a lot of good content.

I have a friend who paid a one time $99 fee and has a black market streaming service with every channel, streamer, pay per view, sports package, etc. Shady as hell but I keep considering it

OP, one thing that is helpful for streaming is the Amazon Fire Stick. I recall spending about $30 for a dongle that plugs into your TV + a minimalist remote/clicker. There are alternatives, such as Roku. This is to used to access the various streaming services.

We're a Sling household. Years ago their rates started out very competitive vs. YouTubeTV. After last year's increase, their sports full package (ESPN, FS1, B1G, but no YES or SNY) rate is now $75 / mo. and makes me wonder if I should go back to YTT.

I am all HULU. I was a dediated Comcast guy for years and years, but we moved to a rental house for 8 months, i didn't want to deal with cable boxes and all that stuff, so we did HULU at the rental and never went back when we moved back into our house.
HULU has everything I need, local channels, SNY, and BTN. I pay extra during football season and get NFL Redzone. i think i pay like $90/month for HULU and all the sports stuff. Then another $50 for Verizon internet. You can stream it on your phone and take it with you if you are out. the interface is only so-so, but i'm used to it now so stuck with it.

I strongly recommend Hulu. The carry all the local channels, Fox, CBS, NBC, Red-zone, BTN.

We actually only pay for live tv 5 months a year during football season. The rest of the year it’s the standard $14.99 plan.

We save about $1300 a year from ‘cutting the cord’

I am in the same boat as you

My sister sent me to a site called SuperBox today. Not sure if anyone has used it before
This is a one time payment android box that gets virtually every channel from every major us city and all college or pro games. It may be better to get an android box that charges you by the month if you're concerned super box could disappear. It has been going strong however for years and by the way it gets virtually every movie that is sold as pay per view for free. You need a strong internet connection. Check it out . You can add other streaming services to it and you need not be computer savvy to get it working.

You can now get high quality of all the local channels including ABC, NBC, CBS, Wpix, etc for free with the antenna

You could always do this nothing has changed. As a bonus if you live in Central Jersey you can point an OTA antenna at Philly and one at NY combine the 2 and get a ton of broadcast channels. For myself as an Eagles fan this is great because I get all of their Fox, NBC and CBS games and also aren't stuck with Giants and Jets games. ABC and some of the other VHF channels are a bit tricky to get though.

Streaming stuff straight up sucks with sports because it is delayed. For RU games I like the have the game thread open here while I watch the game and when I had Youtube TV, I would see plays posted on the board 1 minute or more before I saw them on TV. For the NFL, I usually have twitter open following the Philly beat writers during the NFL games and the beat writers would say what happened I saw it. Also the same for following fantasy football teams, I would get a TD alert on the fantasy app, then later see it on TV. Forget about live sports betting at all for the same reasons.

As for the streaming black boxes, to each his own, but I wouldn't put these things near my network or give those companies a way to charge me per month. They operate in a very grey area and to me the reward isn't worth the risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT