ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Giants, Jets are dragging down TV ratings league-wide

That's incorrect. If someone used to watch 4 games a week and now watches 1 or 2 those other 2 games now have fewer viewers, and viewership would be down.

I took you saying they “watch less” as instead of watching 4 quarters they now only watch one quarter a game, This wouldn’t effect viewership, but yes would effect rating, I believe.

Either way getting way off the point I originally made, Those I know who don’t watch anymore don’t watch b/c of the protests and nothing else

Are you sure that wasn't just an ink blot.

Yes. The entire point of protesting during the National Anthem is to antagonize people ... to make them aggravated enough that they stop what they are doing (enjoying the sporting event that is about to take place) and ask, "Why is this guy intentionally antagonizing me?" The protester (first Kaepernick, later others) is insulting something a lot of people hold dear in order to intentionally make them so angry that a public discussion takes place about "Why are they so angry?" that leads right into "Well, what was the guy protesting about?" The second part of that public discussion is the goal and if making a lot of people angry has to occur to force that second part of the discussion? *shrugs shoulders* But that doesn't change the intended consequences of the action ... the goal is to insult something beloved in order to purposefully anger people.

If they could achieve the second part (getting people to discuss the thing being protested) without purposefully making people angry, they would. But they can't.

The various league offices thought they could give in to the demands of their labor force (and convince them that they are supportive) without making their customers too angry (in other words, play both sides) and they found out that the couldn't even come close. The two things the players don't realize are:

(1) Most people don't like social activists; they want to be left alone, and
(2) They are entertainers. And entertainers live off of their customers giving them money. And customers don't give money to entertainers that make them angry.

I get a kick out of people who are so bothered by athletes & entertainers who have social causes or protest on issues that may differ from their own views.....but at the same time have no concern at all about the criminality or players. Guess it's a sports fans cultural thing. I watch or don't watch due to my own interests, activities, commitments and entertainment level. I support and applaud players for expressing their very American right to protest.......but I also am able to separate the game play from the causes I either support or do not-support.

cause two awful teams with no star power have never played in the last four years. Gotcha
On a Thursday Night? those 2 teams?, with the game only on local stations (where people don't watch much football in either city) and NFL network? Sure show me when.

Reactions: fsg2
On a Thursday Night? those 2 teams?, with the game only on local stations (where people don't watch much football in either city) and NFL network? Sure show me when.

I don’t have any interest going back and searching right now. Ido remember vividly how brutal Many Thursday night matchups have been the last few years and none were nearly this low viewership wise.

you can keep denying for some reason that the players actions have nothing to do with it but it’s a fact they do

Reactions: goru1869
I don’t have any interest going back and searching right now. Ido remember vividly how brutal Many Thursday night matchups have been the last few years and none were nearly this low viewership wise.

you can keep denying for some reason that the players actions have nothing to do with it but it’s a fact they do
Nope it is quite literally an opinion. I guess the record high ratings that some of the games have had such as Saints-Bucs are because of the protests then right? Must be a fact?

Reactions: redking
Nope it is quite literally an opinion. I guess the record high ratings that some of the games have had such as Saints-Bucs are because of the protests then right? Must be a fact?

it’s not an opinion. I’m telling you, it’s a fact, I know MANY people who stopped watching because of the protests. Really don’t get why you’re denying that fact.

Reactions: bac2therac
it’s not an opinion. I’m telling you, it’s a fact, I know MANY people who stopped watching because of the protests. Really don’t get why you’re denying that fact.
Your small sample size of like minded people to you doesn't prove that ratings are down because of that as the primary reason. It may be a fact that's why a few of your friends aren't watching. It is your opinion that that' why ratings are down.

Reactions: redking
Your small sample size of like minded people to you doesn't prove that ratings are down because of that as the primary reason. It may be a fact that's why a few of your friends aren't watching. It is your opinion that that' why ratings are down.

First of all those not watching are not “likeminded people” to me. I think it’s frankly ridiculous to stop watching b/c of that...but to each his own.

2nd of all..I never said it was the “primary” reason. Primary reason or not, it IS a reason.

First of all those not watching are not “likeminded people” to me. I think it’s frankly ridiculous to stop watching b/c of that...but to each his own.

2nd of all..I never said it was the “primary” reason. Primary reason or not, it IS a reason.
Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you felt the same way on that issue. I meant people who you socialize with. Sure some people have stopped watching because of that, but I know someone who stopped watching for a few years and now is watching again because of the protests before the games. So as of yet it has yet to be established as a main reason

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you felt the same way on that issue. I meant people who you socialize with. Sure some people have stopped watching because of that, but I know someone who stopped watching for a few years and now is watching again because of the protests before the games. So as of yet it has yet to be established as a main reason

once again your adding words I never said. May not be the “main” reason but it’s a reason. It’s undeniable

Probably had to do more wit Brees and Brady on his new squad

I think the report of lower ratings by mid season will show the fact people watch less because of protesting everything from improper treatment to racist flavored ice cream
You can wait for it, but people want to watch a game and nothing more, don’t be dopey you know this

I think the report of lower ratings by mid season will show the fact people watch less because of protesting everything from improper treatment to racist flavored ice cream

Its funny but I just read Disney wants to remake classics with non-white characters. Yet how many times have people been called "racist" because of cultural appropriation of such trivial things as dreads?

Lotta people are crazy.

Of course the ratings are down because of the forced agendas. The NFL and players actually hurt their cause, since most people were horrified by Floyd incident and didn't need the sketchy radicals coming at them. Agreement over that was practically unanimous. But then the Marxist groups calling for replacing American gov, capitalism, police, white people and male authority figures got to take over. NFL and corporations foolishly gave them millions (over 2 billion by first month).

Corporate dopes were swayed when they saw over 60% of people had a positive impression so they jumped-in with the edgy players thinking they had it made. But people found out how weird the Marxist (self-described) groups were/are and approval fell over 20% weeks ago. What a surprise that people don't support domestic enemies hiding behind causes?

Now, after some players were called "heroes" for kneeling , the situation is reversed (predictably) and people who don't kneel now are singled out .

Its a dysfunctional movement well removed from its initial cause, and the sincere people (including a lot of black people) know it.

5Qi5Kui.jpg

THEY KNOW WHY THE RATINGS SUCK AND ITS NOT THE GIAQNTS AND JETS, ITS THE WAY THE LEAUGE IS SUCKING UP
No it isn't. Unless you mean sucking up to fantasy league people and changing to a no defense league. The RedZone is killing the Networks and Neilson ratings can't figure out the cut the cord crowd #s. NFL Sunday is the only sport on free TV.

I haven't watched one second of the NFL this year. I only watched Eagles games when the kneeling crap started (usually recorded after golf) a couple of years ago. I used to buy Sunday Ticket and watch multiple games at once with people over every Sunday. Never missed a Mon night or even Thurs game or a playoff game.

I AM they person you are describing. I was watching NFL games with my father before I could walk.

I am done.

NBA too.
Baseball is on my last nerve.
Hockey is on double secret probation.

I have not watched a minute of NFL this year on TV because of the stupid protests. No reason to be protesting anyway. They are blind to the facts. I do miss football I’m not gonna lie, but the NFL is supporting a domestic terrorist organization and I don’t wanna be a part of that.

I guess this low Dolphin-Jaguar viewership is because the Giants and Jets stink.

5.4 million this year vs 6.3 million last year for the week 3 TNF matchup. When you add in fact that this year TNF went up against NBA playoffs and last year TNF went up against nothing, it's not as drastic of a decrease as some are led to believe.

Reactions: Greg2020
College players demonstrated today . Does that mean some of you are not watching college football now ?

I don't care about other teams; I only care about my own team and its players. If Schiano puts players on the field who just protested the national anthem and/or the police, I'll be done with the season. Same thing that happened with the Yankees and Jets. I did get to watch the NY Rangers lose a couple hockey games, which has been the sports highlight of my year.

It was when the leagues agreed with the players that fans would not be allowed to utilize sports as an escape from politics. The attitude was, "You will be made to care." Now fans care and *gasp* some of them disagree and are mad about it.

Muhammad Ali wasn’t shy about his politics from what I’ve heard. His fights are some of the most watched events in television history to this day.

Something doesn’t add up about this “sports and politics can’t mix!” argument. I suspect a certain segment of viewers just lost the ability to hold complex thoughts.

Muhammad Ali wasn’t shy about his politics from what I’ve heard. His fights are some of the most watched events in television history to this day.

Something doesn’t add up about this “sports and politics can’t mix!” argument. I suspect a certain segment of viewers just lost the ability to hold complex thoughts.

He was a little before my time and, unlike seemingly the vast majority of the population, I kind of detest him. What he did to Joe Frazier was reprehensible and if it went on today, the liberals in the sports media would have a coronary.

Of course, back then, the A#1 cause of liberals (and therefore the mainstream media) was damaging the United States Military and intentionally causing the country to lose the Vietnam War, so any celebrity who would refuse to be drafted would be excused on all other indiscretions. It's the same thing today ... if OJ Simpson or Kevin Spacey joined a BLM rally and punched a cop in the face, they'd be the biggest heroes in America on CNN and the New York Times.

Last edited:
Politics and sports are a bad mix. Sports are an escape. It’s a take it or leave it deal.

Easy solution: Take the sports - leave the “politics”.

Are you unable to see a slogan or hear a conversation during a game and disregard it?
Everyone complains about announcers anyway - turn the volume down.

That’s sounds awful - being effected by every little thing you come across.

I’ll just never understand this whole “being triggered” thing and having to avoid things that upset me..

A Rorschach test is an amazing thing, the types of thoughts that it just allows to spill out. And, to think, all because the Giants and Jets stink.

I was actually eating Chik-Fil-la while watching Thursday Night Football.

I know - crazy, right?

It might seem impossible but you can just enjoy/watch something and not care at all about the "politics" of it.

Exactly! And I have heard the arguments, but no one has rationally explained why people get so angry and offended when their fellow Americans are exercising their first amendment rights.

Easy solution: Take the sports - leave the “politics”.

Are you unable to see a slogan or hear a conversation during a game and disregard it?
Everyone complains about announcers anyway - turn the volume down.

That’s sounds awful - being effected by every little thing you come across.

I’ll just never understand this whole “being triggered” thing and having to avoid things that upset me..

I don’t quite understand cancel culture, but is this it? Is it cancel culture when people stop watching NFL football because they get so upset?

I don't care about other teams; I only care about my own team and its players. If Schiano puts players on the field who just protested the national anthem and/or the police, I'll be done with the season. Same thing that happened with the Yankees and Jets. I did get to watch the NY Rangers lose a couple hockey games, which has been the sports highlight of my year.

Ok , so now we are getting team specific . Got it .

It’s very likely that some Rutgers players and coaches also want to protest against racism, so your Saturdays might become even less busy.

It’s very likely that some Rutgers players and coaches also want to protest against racism, so your Saturdays might become even less busy.
These people just like to complain. They will watch it definitely if Rutgers is winning no matter the protest. I would just ignore the protest.

I normally can’t watch an entire game anymore unless I’m attending the game. I rather watch the most exciting game on TV switching channels.

Reactions: Greg2020
I was actually eating Chik-Fil-la while watching Thursday Night Football.

I know - crazy, right?

It might seem impossible but you can just enjoy/watch something and not care at all about the "politics" of it.
Sure why stand for something. It's smart to put money in the pockets of folks who activity work to take away your rights and freedom.

I'm trying realt find the players politics because you're right. Once it's public then I'll be done with them too.

Exactly! And I have heard the arguments, but no one has rationally explained why people get so angry and offended when their fellow Americans are exercising their first amendment rights.
We're just deciding not to support it financially. What's so hard to understand? No jerseys, tickets or eyeballs. They can have their opinions but if they want our money don't insult us or our family or our country.

It's pretty simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT