ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guitar / Guitarist Appreciation Thread

Peter Green was great.

For those lacking keen interest in guitar history, there's really only one fact worth knowing.

Peter Green wrote "Black Magic Woman".
I sort of knew that, but metal heads know he wrote The Green Manalishi, covered by Judas Priest on the Hell Bent for Leather album.

I sort of knew that, but metal heads know he wrote The Green Manalishi, covered by Judas Priest on the Hell Bent for Leather album.

I know nothing about Judas Priest except that they ruined Peter Green's last great Fleetwood Mac tune and the name appears in a Bob Dylan tune...The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest... and also in the New Testament.

As a huge fan of the Who always thought Townsend doesn’t get enough credit for his right hand strumming technique.

I was just reading about Townsend last night.
Abbie Hoffman jumped on Woodstock stage and took mic over.
Townsend wasnt too happy

GBdqq9O.jpg

My guitar instructor is just one of many people horrified over the fact that I f*ckin' hate The Who. There's a couple good songs on Quadrophenia and the rest just sets my teeth on edge.

My guitar instructor is just one of many people horrified over the fact that I f*ckin' hate The Who. There's a couple good songs on Quadrophenia and the rest just sets my teeth on edge.
Cada loco con su tema,
but for me Who's Next is one of the best albums...ever.
And Live At Leeds is the best live album I've ever heard.

Since I mentioned Mountain in another thread I need to put out Leslie West here.
On more than one occasion Eddie Van Halen stated what an influence Leslie West was on him and his playing.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try a fun cheap guitar to test configuiration these Monoprice guitars are better than the price might suggest. I started on a new Ephiphone Les Paul and learned to hate the configuration, so I tried cheap Monoprice Strat and Tele to see what shape I liked better and I liked both better than the LP.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try a fun cheap guitar to test configuiration these Monoprice guitars are better than the price might suggest. I started on a new Ephiphone Les Paul and learned to hate the configuration, so I tried cheap Monoprice Strat and Tele to see what shape I liked better and I liked both better than the LP.

I think I paid $150 for a mint used Mexi-Strat on eBay 5 years ago.

Those MIM Strats are really good, on the whole. Out of the factory they can almost always use a good fret dressing, but mine plays quite well.

But make no mistake - my American Ultra Telecaster plays better. There's vast utility and enjoyment to be found in playing a good guitar that didn't cost a lot of money but there's definitely a difference between that and playing a true, professional instrument.

But do you have a 1w Fender amp lol

Sweet! LOL

Seriously though I have a Blues Junior in awesome Yellow Tweed. My first amp was a 15W Orange amp, used form eBay, for like $99.

Those MIM Strats are really good, on the whole. Out of the factory they can almost always use a good fret dressing, but mine plays quite well.

But make no mistake - my American Ultra Telecaster plays better. There's vast utility and enjoyment to be found in playing a good guitar that didn't cost a lot of money but there's definitely a difference between that and playing a true, professional instrument.
This is timely.
I got caught up in the moment and paid $99 for Rick Beato's teach yourself guitar series.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Monoprice strat or tele to start, and if I become a world class shredder in 10 days, I'll set my budget at $25,000 for my next rig.

I saw the link for the cheap mini-amp, but what is a good cheap amp. Mainly interested in playing harder rock and metal. Not looking to become world class, despite my statement above. Thanks.

Saw some good things about Postive Grid amps:

Last edited:
This is timely.
I got caught up in the moment and paid $99 for Rick Beato's teach yourself guitar series.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Monoprice strat or tele to start, and if I become a world class shredder in 10 days, I'll set my budget at $25,000 for my next rig.

I saw the link for the cheap mini-amp, but what is a good cheap amp. Mainly interested in playing harder rock and metal. Not looking to become world class, despite my statement above. Thanks.

While my pro amp is a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 50 (which I'm selling for $1k if anyone interested), my bedroom practice amp is an Orange Crush 20w. You can get some nice crunch and surprising volume at a ridiculous price point.

While my pro amp is a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 50 (which I'm selling for $1k if anyone interested), my bedroom practice amp is an Orange Crush 20w. You can get some nice crunch and surprising volume at a ridiculous price point.

That's brother to the Orange amp I have.

This is timely.

Now and then someone complains about a dud but for most part people are usually suprised by the cheap Monos. I never knew my stuff well enough to walk into a store and try a guitar, so I just buy a mono to try configuration. I have torso height of someone 6'3" and the leg length of someone 5' 11" (swimmer form) and sitting with a Les Paul is a pain. I liked the Tele and Strat (I got HSS) configs I got. Changing the strings helps. Slickdeals runs hot with guitar deals now and then. The comments from owners are always better than store reviews

Reactions: Knight Shift
Always good debates about the best guitarist in terms of technique and style, but who was better writing and playing the classic riffs than Jimmy Page? Good Times, Bad Times opening song on ZepI was the early warning shot to the rock world that a new sheriff was coming to town.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
Always good debates about the best guitarist in terms of technique and style, but who was better writing and playing the classic riffs than Jimmy Page? Good Times, Bad Times opening song on ZepI was the early warning shot to the rock world that a new sheriff was coming to town.
Page was certainly “The Riff Meister”. I actually liked some of his acoustic playing the best. He is one of the greats from that era. The thing about a lot of the players from the 60s and 70s is how “musical” they were, they weren’t overly technical players. They didn’t practice “speed” excercises. It was about feel and sounding good. As far as rock music goes, very difficult to place anyone above Jimi Hendrix for impact and influence on rock guitar. He took the electric guitar to the limit with limited effects compared to today.

Page was certainly “The Riff Meister”. I actually liked some of his acoustic playing the best. He is one of the greats from that era. The thing about a lot of the players from the 60s and 70s is how “musical” they were, they weren’t overly technical players. They didn’t practice “speed” excercises. It was about feel and sounding good. As far as rock music goes, very difficult to place anyone above Jimi Hendrix for impact and influence on rock guitar. He took the electric guitar to the limit with limited effects compared to today.

Page called Hendrix ‘the best any of us ever had’​

When Cameron Crowe asked Page about his “favorite American guitarists” in a ’75 Rolling Stone interview, Zep’s guitar player had many names to cite. Clarence White, who played with the Kentucky Colonels and The Byrds, received special mention from Page.

So did Amos Garrett, Elliot Randall, and Les Paul. But Page started out mentioning the man who’d ended his run on earth some five years earlier. “Well, we’ve lost the best guitarist any of us ever had and that was Hendrix,” he said.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Saw a good clip of Les Paul playing a Les Paul.
I never felt comfortable with a LP on my right leg - it feels small and awkward.
On my left leg it felt better.
I've read when LP was designed most guitarists had class
ical training and used left leg

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Saw a good clip of Les Paul playing a Les Paul.
I never felt comfortable with a LP on my right leg - it feels small and awkward.
On my left leg it felt better.
I've read when LP was designed most guitarists had classoical training and used left leg

Playing off your left leg allows you (forces you, actually) to rotate the neck upwards so that your fret hand can more easily access the neck, particularly 5th fret and higher. It's especially helpful for people who have carpal tunnel, as it's easier on the wrist.

Reactions: ashokan
Playing off your left leg allows you (forces you, actually) to rotate the neck upwards so that your fret hand can more easily access the neck, particularly 5th fret and higher. It's especially helpful for people who have carpal tunnel, as it's easier on the wrist.

I've tried that and it works well.
The LP is still a weird balancing guitar - forums are full of complaints about them

Reactions: RU4Real
I've tried that and it works well.
The LP is still a weird balancing guitar - forums are full of complaints about them

I think it depends a lot on the LP in question.

Both of mine are Epiphones and are very different - and I have minor issues with both. The LP Prophecy is *heavy*, in spite of it being a "weight relieved" body. On the other hand, my Custom ES is decidedly not heavy because it's a semi-hollow body, but because of that it's prone to neck dive.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a Gibson LP Classic and I've found it to be well-balanced, fairly light - and really, really nice to play.

But yeah, I'm more or less settled into the Fender realm. Although I did recently contract with a custom builder to make me a nice, exotic wood Flying V. Now, you wanna talk about a guitar that's uncomfortable to play... 🤣

Reactions: ashokan
I
Most underrated and underappreciated guitarist of all time: Terry Kath

When someone asks me about favorite guitarists, I mention Kath. I am always astounded that most have no idea who he is.

He was a superb vocalist as well.
I know I’m very late to this post, but I’m learning beginnings now! Such a great tune- but oof that strumming pattern is challenging.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I looked on YouTube to find some performances from Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival which is taking place in LA this weekend. I came across this performance by Judith Hill who I was not familiar with. This is fabulous singing and playing. The whole world knows about Taylor Swift and Beyoncé. More should be aware of extremely talented musicians like Ms. Hill

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I looked on YouTube to find some performances from Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival which is taking place in LA this weekend. I came across this performance by Judith Hill who I was not familiar with. This is fabulous singing and playing. The whole world knows about Taylor Swift and Beyoncé. More should be aware of extremely talented musicians like Ms. Hill
I posted this in the Beato thread, but this is another wonderful episode. It's Charlie Benante (drummer for Anthrax), Zakk Wylde (pride of Jackson, NJ and Bayonne born! from his own band and Ozzy) and Rex Brown (bass player from Pantera) talking about the reconstituted Pantera. But most of the discussion is about influences, which may surprise a lot of people. Rex Brown learned piano to ragtime and Scott Joplin music. He cites ZZ Top's Tres Hombres as a very early influence. Zakk is all over the place, citing Yacht Rock, prog rock and the Who as early influences.

They also talk about how all of their bands made by sheer persistence to what they were doing and ignoring what their record labels told/suggested that they do:

I think it depends a lot on the LP in question.

Both of mine are Epiphones and are very different - and I have minor issues with both. The LP Prophecy is *heavy*, in spite of it being a "weight relieved" body. On the other hand, my Custom ES is decidedly not heavy because it's a semi-hollow body, but because of that it's prone to neck dive.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a Gibson LP Classic and I've found it to be well-balanced, fairly light - and really, really nice to play.

But yeah, I'm more or less settled into the Fender realm. Although I did recently contract with a custom builder to make me a nice, exotic wood Flying V. Now, you wanna talk about a guitar that's uncomfortable to play... 🤣

I never held a V but I could see it being more of a standing guitar
Sitting with a V could make the LP look comfortable.
I'd like to try an SG since people often like the ergonomics of that one if the were sketchy with a LP

This is timely.
Shift - How have you been liking the 'Beato Bundle'?
I've been tempted a couple of times, but afraid I wouldn't dedicate the time and end up wasting money.

Shift - How have you been liking the 'Beato Bundle'?
I've been tempted a couple of times, but afraid I wouldn't dedicate the time and end up wasting money.
Thanks for jamming my guitar in my eye! My reply:

"I was tempted , and as I feared, I haven't dedicated any time."

Just haven't had the time. Work is crazy in a good way right now, but not leaving much free time. Plus college football season in full swing, which means a lot of my free time is spent watching games, reading articles, posting here, etc.

Hopefully, I'll get at it in the winter. I don't spend much money on cheap frills ever. So $350 is a pittance, and I will eventually start digging in. I'll try to remember to post when I do.

I’m excited, tonight I will be seeing The Tedeschi Trucks band at MSG. I think one of the very best live touring bands anywhere. Lukas Nelson (Willie’s son) and his band will open. They will also have Trey Anastasio (Phish guitarist) who is a great player and Norah Jones will join TTB for several songs each. Should be a real good night.

I’m excited, tonight I will be seeing The Tedeschi Trucks band at MSG. I think one of the very best live touring bands anywhere. Lukas Nelson (Willie’s son) and his band will open. They will also have Trey Anastasio (Phish guitarist) who is a great player and Norah Jones will join TTB for several songs each. Should be a real good night.
Good luck getting there. State of emergency declared in NYC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT