ADVERTISEMENT

OT Hugh Hefner 88

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
Another icon passes.He was responsible in his own way for a lot of very happy men,and women, in the past 60 years.

Hmm, Google news search- Nada. Twitter search, the only thing that comes up is this:

01b881a4bcf095a2d5fc42374a04432f.jpg

Anyone remember the Playboy Club in ....Sussex County NJ! ? Probably Vernon, Great Gorge

Was there a few times, who the heck comes up with the idea to put a Playboy club in the middle of farm country ?

Years later when the NFL was on strike , NBC put on boxing matches up there to fill up programming time, and I was a very young sports writer for NJ Boxing News, working for practically nothing, but free tickets and the thrill of a 'by line', and got to cover a few boxing fights at the Playboy Club and ..get this...
Waterloo Village, in Stanhope, lol.

They had bars at both Playboy Club and Waterloo Village so at least got a buddy to tag along, watch fights, get somewhat hammered, and go home and type up boxing articles on an old fashioned electric typewriter.

Got to cover Michael and Leon Spinks, Larry Holmes, and a few others.

Anyone remember the Playboy Club in ....Sussex County NJ! ? Probably Vernon, Great Gorge

Was there a few times, who the heck comes up with the idea to put a Playboy club in the middle of farm country ?

Years later when the NFL was on strike , NBC put on boxing matches up there to fill up programming time, and I was a very young sports writer for NJ Boxing News, working for practically nothing, but free tickets and the thrill of a 'by line', and got to cover a few boxing fights at the Playboy Club and ..get this...

They had bars at both Playboy Club and Waterloo Village so at least got a buddy to tag along, watch fights, get somewhat hammered, and go home and type up boxing articles on an old fashioned electric typewriter.

Good story Abro1975. Very different times back then.

Larry Holmes was from nearby Easton, PA. One of the guys in the golf club I belonged to in West Jersey back then was a roofer, and tough as nails. Years earlier he had knocked out a young Larry Homes with a single punch in a basketball dispute at a local gym. Interesting that it was his golf buddies that told me the story as they were there when it happened. Needless to say, the roofer had a reputation at the club as a guy you wanted to be on good terms with.

Good story Abro1975. Very different times back then.

Larry Holmes was from nearby Easton, PA. One of the guys in the golf club I belonged to in West Jersey back then was a roofer, and tough as nails. Years earlier he had knocked out a young Larry Homes with a single punch in a basketball dispute at a local gym. Interesting that it was his golf buddies that told me the story as they were there when it happened. Needless to say, the roofer had a reputation at the club as a guy you wanted to be on good terms with.

Was your Club Harkers Hollow in Phillipsburg? My buddy golfed w Doug Graber there, remained friends w him.

Was your Club Harkers Hollow in Phillipsburg? My buddy golfed w Doug Graber there, remained friends w him.

Yes, it was Harkers. I was there in the late 80's. Don't remember Doug being a member at that time. Great group of guys there and some excellent golfers. I believe the course is now public, but it was a great place to play back then.

Is this ridiculous thread still alive? The OP should be banned tarred and feathered and made to watch constant replays of the Michigan game..

I went there as a kid four or five times in the mid/late 70's. My Dad's company used to have their annual sales meeting there. You could actually smoke in the hotel and meeting rooms back then. My how things have changed.

I still have a Playboy Club shot glass that I lifted on my last visit. Played "Pong" the video game there for the first time. Also, cool picture of the pool. Off the frame to the left was a three meter diving board that my brother and I used to jump off all day long when we were there. My brother tried a double flip and landed on his back. My Mom chewed his $hit out while he was still crying from the pain. His last trip on the three meter.

Would be cool if someone can invent time travel before I die. I'd go back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT