ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I hate this weather

When the weather ‘s hot and sticky tis not the time for Dunkin’ D…..ie but when the frost is on the pumpkin that’s the time for D____ie Dunkin. Love that poem.

lol, no, that's the English Beat. But there is logic to my comment. I play a lot of sports outside and dislike 85F and sunny for two reasons: one is that I'd rather not be all sweaty playing, so 50F and cloudy is perfect for that (but still warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt) and two is that I'm very susceptible to sunburn, so cloudy is better for that. But I'm not a complete Neanderthal - if I'm just hanging out with folks or just plain relaxing, I'll take 85F and sunny.
Going for my next MOHS procedure on Monday.

We both wear the same hat at Football now. LOL

Last edited:
Going for my next MOHS procedure on Monday.

We both wear the same hat at Football now. LOL
Good luck. My wife has had MOHS a couple of times, but somehow, despite having every major risk factor for skin cancer (blonde hair, blue eyes, freckles, family history and personal history of severe sunburns/sun poisioning - when we were kids nobody worried about sunburn, lol), I've never had it, so far.

when we were kids nobody worried about sunburn, lol), I've never had it, so far.

Last night I was watching Youtube and came across journalist from UK doing a detailed video review of Playboy magazines (from 50s-70s so far). He flips through ads, articles, photo spreads - everything. I was reminded of how so many people liked to have tan lines back in the day. People would go out as soon as weather changed and fry like fish slathered in baby oil.

Nothing was better than getting a solid burn at the local pool or beach . Don’t forget the baby oil which acted as an excellent burn enhancer . Kids and teens loved using Noxzema to cool the burn afterwards . Within a week the top layer peeled off in big strips and new baby like skin appeared. If you didn’t get that burn you were really not a beach lover. Of course some 50-6o years later cancerous melanomas and sunspots have taken over the conversation at tailgates. All a part of life in New Jersey at those times.

Nothing was better than getting a solid burn at the local pool or beach . Don’t forget the baby oil which acted as an excellent burn enhancer . Kids and teens loved using Noxzema to cool the burn afterwards . Within a week the top layer peeled off in big strips and new baby like skin appeared. If you didn’t get that burn you were really not a beach lover. Of course some 50-6o years later cancerous melanomas and sunspots have taken over the conversation at tailgates. All a part of life in New Jersey at those times.
That wasn't a real burn then. The kind of sun-poisoning burn I got a few times as a kid, with pustules all over my body (and chills/fever), may have been the most painful thing I ever had in my childhood, way worse than broken bones (5) and stitches (6 places). All I could do was lay there in pain for 2-3 days as it hurt too much to move much. I remeber the doc telling me I had to be a lot more careful with the sun from about 11 am to 3 pm, at least, as there were no sunscreens back then (at least nothing effective).

What were you trying to do ? You had to be not too bright in order to get to the sun poison stage . I know I have abused my body over the years … to much sun, food, alcohol and sleep deprivation but by the time you get to my current age you probably will be covering up that athletic body of yours.

What were you trying to do ? You had to be not too bright in order to get to the sun poison stage . I know I have abused my body over the years … to much sun, food, alcohol and sleep deprivation but by the time you get to my current age you probably will be covering up that athletic body of yours.
Was about 6 years old the first time and it was after being at the beach much of the day. I had had burns before, but this was way worse - my parents had no idea it could get that bad and neither did I. To this day, I just have to be careful in the sun - by the time I've been exposed to too much UV it's too late and I'm sure as a kid I wouldn't have been paying attention until it was way too late.

Was about 6 years old the first time and it was after being at the beach much of the day. I had had burns before, but this was way worse - my parents had no idea it could get that bad and neither did I. To this day, I just have to be careful in the sun - by the time I've been exposed to too much UV it's too late and I'm sure as a kid I wouldn't have been paying attention until it was way too late.
I get it now you being only 6 years old and back 50-60 years that sunburn / get a tan deal was like a rite of passage for us . Honestly , I wish I hadn’t spent as much time in the sun uncovered …not worrying about burning was just dumb but it was a proud day being able to show off your scarlet red skin slathered with Noxzema and telling your friends, “ yeah it hurts like hell but it’s going to turn into a great tan.” Now that wasn’t very bright. Spent only 2 hours Wednesday and Thursday in the pool and at the beach here on Oahu 85 degrees , partly sunny but already getting tan , not burnt . Hawaiian Sun / ultra violet rays probably 9 now but summer 15 daily . Water temps somewhat chilly but much warmer than NJ. 76 degrees and windy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT