ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I might have Covid

For the most part, that is true. There are some reported who have long term losses and could be permanent.

Didn’t know that. I remember reading a study a couple months ago that Covid doesn’t cause any permanent damage, but sounds like there are exceptions

Whatever you need to tell yourself.
Dude, what pvmon said was not wrong. The one who was wrong was you. You gave some crazy numbers in order to get to 500K by the end of the calendar year, when he clearly was talking about a full 12 month "year"....meaning he is giving the projected number of deaths through Feb. 29th, he first case of a "Covid-19 death."

With 340K deaths in the U.S. already, and with more than 3600 people dying each day, 500K deaths is actually a conservative number reached by Feb. 29th.

A record 3744 people died yesterday (Dec. 31st) If that number were to just hold up, (not even accounting for it to grow) then we are talking about a number closer to 600K U.S. deaths, not 500K.

PVMON is also right that although RU76 said not to minimize it, he went on to do just that. he TOTALLY minimized the dangers of Covid.

Its like the old, No offense, but..." argument.

So if you think you are making the more valid point, I have news for you.

Some of the higher totals the last few days are probably the result of "catch up" counting from the Christmas week, though I still do expect daily death totals to regularly be topping 4000 pretty soon. January is going to be hellacious in terms of covid deaths.

As for the loss of smell/taste - I have read that there are some people who haven't fully recovered that months later. That doesn't mean they never will, and I have no idea how large a group that is. Sounds like it's relatively uncommon.

The other interesting thing I read about it was that some people don't lose the sense of smell/taste, but have it altered. So everything tastes like it's burnt, or really sour or something. Probably better to just lose it completely.

Reactions: Greg2020
Dude, what pvmon said was not wrong. The one who was wrong was you. You gave some crazy numbers in order to get to 500K by the end of the calendar year, when he clearly was talking about a full 12 month "year"....meaning he is giving the projected number of deaths through Feb. 29th, he first case of a "Covid-19 death."

With 340K deaths in the U.S. already, and with more than 3600 people dying each day, 500K deaths is actually a conservative number reached by Feb. 29th.

A record 3744 people died yesterday (Dec. 31st) If that number were to just hold up, (not even accounting for it to grow) then we are talking about a number closer to 600K U.S. deaths, not 500K.

PVMON is also right that although RU76 said not to minimize it, he went on to do just that. he TOTALLY minimized the dangers of Covid.

Its like the old, No offense, but..." argument.

So if you think you are making the more valid point, I have news for you.
Thanks for chiming in on a 5 day old comment where I already acknowledged I misunderstood his "in a year" comment. My whole point was that up until that point folks were trying to give RU5781 words of encouragement and personal positive outcomes. I did not feel it was in the spirit of the thread to bring on the doom and gloom. I think RU5781 is well aware of the death total and the potential bad outcomes Covid can produce. If you disagree with that, that's fine.

I had a few friends lose taste. All but one regained it in about a week. The other one says his taste is still impaired from the summer. Gotta suck

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
Great story. Hilleman should've won a Nobel Prize, but there's that bias against corporate scientists at Nobel - post linked below on Hilleman's amazing accomplishments...

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.198855/post-4647799

@newell138
@RU848789

I recently listened to a Radiolab podcast on Maurice and thought you might be interested. It came out in December.

Yep.. And sweets taste really sweet. (So do beans lol) This hasn't stopped me from eating or drinking my Coquito.
Smell is not 100% either.
Hope you're doing okay! Happy New Year
I had it back in March - lost taste for about 5 days. I poured myself a bowl of raisin bran one morning and the sweet raisins were like an explosion in my mouth. I don't think I ever lost sense of smell.

Reactions: redking and Jm0513
I bought a bag of Starbursts and they taste horrible! I don't remember Starbursts tasting so crappy. Now I think I have c-19. Didn't have any other symptoms though. Maybe Starbursts really do taste horrible.

I am on the "no pulp" team.
I like pulp. Although I don't often drink OJ.

Mostly, though, I was aiming for a joke along the lines of asking (in response to a query about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow) what do you mean, an African or European swallow? Guess it was a bit obscure of a reference.

Take a shot of Frank's Hot Sauce. Report back.
Frank's Red Hot sauce is awesome! Really great flavor and a nice medium heat.

I make wings at home a lot and Franks is the base for the Buffalo style wings. Sometimes, when I'm aiming for serious heat, I simmer it w/whole chilis for awhile. Yum.

Also, because my kid likes it so much, I've been making a chicken dish where I blacken chicken with lots of chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder, then after the chicken's almost done, I dump a jar of Tostitos Habanero salsa on top of the chicken, let that all simmer 15-20 minutes or so, then dump in a bag of shredded extra sharp cheddar to melt over the top for another 5 minutes. Yum. When I'm making that, anybody downstairs near the kitchen's noses start running even before it's done cooking. We love spicy hot food.

Pulp or no pulp?
Speaking of OJ, I had an OJ epiphany 2 years ago when I discovered the unpasteurized, insanely fresh OJ (with lots of pulp) at Whole Foods, from Kennesaw (in FL). It's the closest thing to fresh squeezed I've ever had and it's the only OJ I'll drink now - was a Tropicana guy for decades and this stuff makes any "not from concentrate" OJ taste like flavored water. I've had a ton of the fresh squeezed stuff on our trips to Florida and this is really close.

Speaking of OJ, I had an OJ epiphany 2 years ago when I discovered the unpasteurized, insanely fresh OJ (with lots of pulp) at Whole Foods, from Kennesaw (in FL). It's the closest thing to fresh squeezed I've ever had and it's the only OJ I'll drink now - was a Tropicana guy for decades and this stuff makes any "not from concentrate" OJ taste like flavored water. I've had a ton of the fresh squeezed stuff on our trips to Florida and this is really close.
That’s a good OJ. I drink much less orange juice than I used to but in slowly moving permanently to my place in Florida I have to get it when in town. I buy that one when I get down there. For me, I’m surprised too I have found a decent OJ at Aldi in Florida.

Also, because my kid likes it so much, I've been making a chicken dish where I blacken chicken with lots of chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder, then after the chicken's almost done, I dump a jar of Tostitos Habanero salsa on top of the chicken, let that all simmer 15-20 minutes or so, then dump in a bag of shredded extra sharp cheddar to melt over the top for another 5 minutes. Yum. When I'm making that, anybody downstairs near the kitchen's noses start running even before it's done cooking. We love spicy hot food.

If you want some serious heat, I make my own hot sauce with peppers from my garden. This year I made a solo Carolina Reaper sauce, and a sauce I call "XXX" which is a mix of Habanero, Trinidad Scorpion and Carolina Reaper peppers.

Reactions: mildone and pmvon
So the contact tracers called me today, and they backed up what I read on a local pharmacies website, and that is the current protocol does not require 24 hour symptom free period prior to ending quarantine.

10 days post first symptom, as long as your symptoms have improved, and they are not a hindrance, you are good to go.

Reactions: RUJohnny and RU5781

I make wings at home a lot and Franks is the base for the Buffalo style wings. Sometimes, when I'm aiming for serious heat, I simmer it w/whole chilis for awhile. Yum.

I'm a Louisiana Hot Sauce kind of guy.

Pulp or no pulp?
I am on the "no pulp" team.
8a8C.gif

If you want some serious heat, I make my own hot sauce with peppers from my garden. This year I made a solo Carolina Reaper sauce, and a sauce I call "XXX" which is a mix of Habanero, Trinidad Scorpion and Carolina Reaper peppers.
The hottest sauce I ever tried was Smack My Ass and Call Me Sally, The Slap Heard Around which claims to be 700,000 scoville units. I like things real spicy but that stuff was crazy. I did like Dave's Ultimate Insanity though.

1933__49319.1561309780.jpg

The hottest sauce I ever tried was Smack My Ass and Call Me Sally, The Slap Heard Around which claims to be 700,000 scoville units. I like things real spicy but that stuff was crazy. I did like Dave's Ultimate Insanity though.

1933__49319.1561309780.jpg

My Trinidad Scorpions are 1.8 million Scovilles and the Carolina Reapers are 2.2 million.

Sounds great. I have a friend who grows his own hot peppers of various types. Had some not too long ago, sliced and marinated in olive oil and they were great.

My Trinidad Scorpions are 1.8 million Scovilles and the Carolina Reapers are 2.2 million.
My boss grew Carolina Reapers a couple years ago, gave me a big ole zip lock bag of em. I don't even know what happened to the bag but I know I didn't eat all of them.

I remember cutting up a bunch of them and didn't wear gloves, I could still feel the burn if I pressed by fingers together over a week later.

I like hot foods, but those things go beyond, they are competition level. Habanero is about as far as I need to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
My friend experienced chills and a mild fever, so he got tested and it came back positive. He told me the fever went away in a few days and he felt fine. And his wife did not get infected. However, both him and his wife got tested again because of the holiday coming up and she tested negative with one test and positive with another test, and she never had any symptoms. My friend was annoyed because he was treated like he had the plague even after the doctor confirmed that he could no longer infect others. And I heard from friends of friends who tested positive and they got better fast too, same with fat old president Trump. I think they over report deaths. If someone died in a car accident and they had c-19, it counts as a covid death. If someone shovels snow and dies of a heart attack and they were positive for c-19, that counts as a covid death. And don't drink milk, milk is hard to digest and promotes phlegm. Like others said, drink fluids, eat soups and light foods and get plenty of rest. I would use aspirin to knock down the fever, but many people don't like aspirin.
President Trump is an alpha male though.

Sample size of 2, some serious science behind this treatment protocol.
This is used throughout Asia. Millions have used this to fight malaria. It was used extensively in Studies in Asia and Europe for CV-19. My friend got CV-19 while in Colorado. The hospital put him on that protocol and he was good in 5 days but they made him stay the full 2 weeks.

Take a shot of Frank's Hot Sauce. Report back.
It was the Starbursts. In the small print on the bag it said Tropical and the flavors were cherry kiwi, pina colada, mango melon and strawberry banana. They were the same colors as the normal star bursts.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT