ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If anything good comes out of the playoff sham disaster...

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
It's the fact that other schools in this trash conference are finally starting to wake up. Tweet below, still sticking by my 2025 prediction of leaving the ACC

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Warchant is down the hall, to the left.

To keep from moving towards that inevitability - and to maintain some semblance of order in college football - the ACC and the Big 12 should do their best sure up their camps. A college football landscape with no ACC makes for a very vulnerable Big 12.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Getting conference realignment news from that WV Twitter account is like getting prediction from a Magic 8 Ball. That account has spewed an insane amount of nonsense the past decade.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Getting conference realignment news from that WV Twitter account is like getting prediction from a Magic 8 Ball. That account has spewed an insane amount of nonsense the past decade.
That they have
Especially that guy The Dude who is a notorious lunatic

But this can only help in regard to leaving the conference

And more importantly, show the big $ boosters who preferred the SEC that the B1G is the right choice

This one lists the alleged schools who have contacted the Big 12

With a 12 team playoff coming next year and the ACC Champion guaranteed a spot, what’s in it for these schools to try and compete in a 25-team Big 12 for the same spot? Wont happen this guy is talking his “wishful thinking” not anything based in reality

It's the fact that other schools in this trash conference are finally starting to wake up. Tweet below, still sticking by my 2025 prediction of leaving the ACC

I get that @JayDogSmooth is a big FSU booster but there was no sham that FSU was as left out. They aren't one of the top 4 teams. His meltdown has been comical

Last edited:
With a 12 team playoff coming next year and the ACC Champion guaranteed a spot, what’s in it for these schools to try and compete in a 25-team Big 12 for the same spot? Wont happen this guy is talking his “wishful thinking” not anything based in reality
Though football is what drives the bus, this stretches well beyond that.

If any athletic dept. across the country (except SMU apparently) wants to compete on a whole in multiple sports for championships, you cannot be 40-50 million/year behind your peers with revenue distribution.

13 years would be roughly 500 million (minimum) behind - you can't and won't recover from that.

It effects all sports, but especially football and will have a trickle down effect on all others.

Reactions: NickRU714
I get that @JayDogSmooth is a big FSU booster but there was no sham that FSU was as left out. They aren't one of the top 4 teams.
Here's my take

With Brook at the helm, they're not one of the top 15 teams, let alone top 4

He's a true freshman, who looked like a true freshman, playing in a big spot and was clearly overwhelmed.

But he wouldn't be starting in the playoffs. Tate was in concussion protocol, hence Brook getting the nod.

With Tate at QB, they at least had a shot. Not because Tate's on J Trav's level, but b/c he's at least somewhat component, surrounded by a ton of playmakers and the D is playing at a ridiculous level.

That, having a month to prepare, and likely facing Washington, leads me to believe we had a legit shot to make the title game. Title games are like a game 7 in baseball - anything can happen.

Additionally, if you're going to leave FSU out of the playoffs, how do you rank them ahead of UGA? Literally makes no sense.

Here's my take

With Brook at the helm, they're not one of the top 15 teams, let alone top 4

He's a true freshman, who looked like a true freshman, playing in a big spot and was clearly overwhelmed.

But he wouldn't be starting in the playoffs. Tate was in concussion protocol, hence Brook getting the nod.

With Tate at QB, they at least had a shot. Not because Tate's on J Trav's level, but b/c he's at least somewhat component, surrounded by a ton of playmakers and the D is playing at a ridiculous level.

That, having a month to prepare, and likely facing Washington, leads me to believe we had a legit shot to make the title game. Title games are like a game 7 in baseball - anything can happen.

Additionally, if you're going to leave FSU out of the playoffs, how do you rank them ahead of UGA? Literally makes no sense.
any team that overcame what they did, continued to win and still went undefeated and won the conference should be a shoo in. winning with a true freshman and having your #2 coming back is impressive

what is funny is watching that fsu qb the other night and the offense in general and it looked just like Rutgers.

any team that overcame what they did, continued to win and still went undefeated and won the conference should be a shoo in. winning with a true freshman and having your #2 coming back is impressive

what is funny is watching that fsu qb the other night and the offense in general and it looked just like Rutgers.
Mike played a little too conservative for my liking, but I get why he did it
If he started playing not to lose like Greg does on a regular basis, I'd be livid

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I don't know how you can justify an undefeated P5 team being excluded from the playoffs. I also don't understand how Ohio State fell all the way to 7. If you're going to have one-loss teams in the playoffs, how do you not have a team whose only loss was a one-score loss to the #1 team in the country? That should be the most forgivable loss of the year. At the end of the day, we could go around in circles forever making valid cases for multiple teams, which is why they really need to just end this committee nonsense and just take the power conference champions.

Mike played a little too conservative for my liking, but I get why he did it
If he started playing not to lose like Greg does on a regular basis, I'd be livid
made sense for sure with a true freshman doing his first work under center and in a conference champ game but you see the one-dimensional aspect of the offense in that regard. it's why we need a qb here badly.

I don't know how you can justify an undefeated P5 team being excluded from the playoffs. I also don't understand how Ohio State fell all the way to 7. If you're going to have one-loss teams in the playoffs, how do you not have a team whose only loss was a one-score loss to the #1 team in the country? That should be the most forgivable loss of the year. At the end of the day, we could go around in circles forever making valid cases for multiple teams, which is why they really need to just end this committee nonsense and just take the power conference champions.
The hyperacidity of the NCAA knows no bounds.
They're a collegiate version of FIFA.

I said it in previous posts that nothing these guys do surprises me.

No death penalty for PSU.
Giving OSU probation for tattoo for merch swap.

Baylor killing people, minimal penalties.
Auburn paying Cam 200k, nada.

FSU guys cheat in online music class and self-report, 12 wins vacated.
UNC fake classes and degrees, nothing happens.

Incompetence and hypocrisy is par for the course for these buffoons.

made sense for sure with a true freshman doing his first work under center and in a conference champ game but you see the one-dimensional aspect of the offense in that regard. it's why we need a qb here badly.
Yeah it was quasi-maddening watching it in person, but I've grown to trust Mike. Not having a QB is a real killer - changes the whole dynamic of a program.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
But the conferences strengths aren't equal. The SEC and BIG are light years ahead of ACC. Hence why you need a committee so lesser teams don't get in.

I do find the disassociation really funny.
Every FSU tweet or story or argument so vehemently saying "but but we are P5!".
They had no issue telling the G5 "your regular season doesn't matter".
But then when it applies to them "well now it's bad!"
Even better is the people saying "The playoffs should be based on record!!"

But then mention G5 and it's "well....not all records are the same"
Exactly.

Animal Farm: All conferences are equal. But some are more equal than others
Can't get mad when you fall from the "more equal" after actively working to create the system.

But the conferences strengths aren't equal. The SEC and BIG are light years ahead of ACC. Hence why you need a committee so lesser teams don't get in.

"But but...MY conference needs to be included. I want to keep out the conferences but not MINE!"

I do find the disassociation really funny.
Every FSU tweet or story or argument so vehemently saying "but but we are P5!".
They had no issue telling the G5 "your regular season doesn't matter".
But then when it applies to them "well now it's bad!"
Even better is the people saying "The playoffs should be based on record!!"

But then mention G5 and it's "well....not all records are the same"
Exactly.

Animal Farm: All conferences are equal. But some are more equal than others
Can't get mad when you fall from the "more equal" after actively working to create the system.
When did FSU tell the G5 the regular season doesn't matter?
Additionally, if playoffs aren't based on record, what should they be based on?
Further, if record doesn't matter, why even play the games? Hell, no need to even keep score!

They're better but it's not as stark as most people think it is

Who's legit good in the SEC this year?
Georgia and Bama
** Ole Miss is good, not elite

How about the B1G?
Mich and Buckeye
*** Like Ole Miss, Nitts are very good but not elite

Where the delta changes is the teams that suck in the ACC really suck
Which is why FSU scheduled up and played 2 SEC teams OOC
What they can't help is if Clemmy is down and Miami continues to suck, or Louisville being a paper tiger and losing to Kentucky at home last week

Reactions: superfan01

The justification is lack of quality wins. OSU only beat 2 ranked opponents PSU and ND.
After that? They beat two 7-5 teams and Rutgers (6-6) in conference. Everyone else a losing record.

Now look at Alabama - 4 wins (double) over ranked teams - Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU, Tenn. Two wins over 7-5 SEC teams. 1 win over a 6-6 team. Georgia also had better wins.

Of course the conferences aren't of equal strength, it's like that across the entire world of sports, but in years when the AFC is better than the NFC, nobody ever has a problem with the Super Bowl featuring an NFC team. One champion emerges from each conference, and then they play each other to determine the national champion. Sure, maybe the second best team is in the same conference as the best team, but they've already been bested during conference play by the conference champion, so why should they get a second chance while the other conference's champion gets no chance at all? Do you really think the current format of a handful of people just deciding what teams are worthy is better? There is almost never a clear consensus, every year at least one or two teams feel snubbed. Every other major sport has a clear playoff path where the teams decide on the field who advances and whose season is done, and there is literally nobody arguing to replace that with a committee deciding who goes to the next round.

Of course the conferences aren't of equal strength, it's like that across the entire world of sports, but in years when the AFC is better than the NFC, nobody ever has a problem with the Super Bowl featuring an NFC team. One champion emerges from each conference, and then they play each other to determine the national champion. Sure, maybe the second best team is in the same conference as the best team, but they've already been bested during conference play by the conference champion, so why should they get a second chance while the other conference's champion gets no chance at all? Do you really think the current format of a handful of people just deciding what teams are worthy is better? Every other sport has a clear playoff path where the teams decide on the field who advances and whose season is done, and there is literally nobody arguing to replace that with a committee deciding who goes to the next round.

The problem is that most people don't want an actual path where the teams decide on the field who advances.
"G5 problem"
People want "their teams" to have a chance to decide on the field but not all teams.

The difference is that EVERY team in the NFL has a chance.
Every AFC or NFC team could win all their games and make the playoffs.
If you win your division at 17-0 or 2-15: you make the playoffs.

Until EVERY team in FBS has an equal chance to make the playoffs on the field - you can't just go by record.

look, there are 5 power conference champs and only 4 spots. one conference will be left out. the powers to be will never leave an SEC or B1G champ out unless there is parity in the conference and their records are abysmal.

The problem is that most people don't want an actual path where the teams decide on the field who advances.
"G5 problem"
People want "their teams" to have a chance to decide on the field but not all teams.

The difference is that EVERY team in the NFL has a chance.
Every AFC or NFC team could win all their games and make the playoffs.
If you win your division at 17-0 or 2-15: you make the playoffs.

Until EVERY team in FBS has an equal chance to make the playoffs on the field - you can't just go by record.
Well in my ideal scenario, which I know won't happen, the G5 conferences would have their own national playoff. Then you have the four power conferences. Each team has a shot at their conference championship, which then earns you a spot in the national semifinals.

It's really not that difficult

5 P5 conferences
3 had undefeated teams + Texas beat Bama

So you go Michigan, Wash, Noles + Texas

Mind you, Michigan gets caught cheating and has dorky Jim suspended 3 games, and doesn't get penalized by the NCAA seeding wise?

Absolutely put them in as they beat OSU and won the B10 champ game, but again, the hypocrisy of the NCAA knows no bounds

5 P5 conferences
3 had undefeated teams + Texas beat Bama

Mind you, Michigan gets caught cheating and has dorky Jim suspended 3 games, and doesn't get penalized by the NCAA seeding wise?

Absolutely put them in as they beat OSU and won the B10 champ game, but again, the hypocrisy of the NCAA knows no bounds

that's what i was hoping for but the committee would never piss off the SEC nation.

that's what i was hoping for but the committee would never piss off the SEC nation.
Agree
Instead they made a mockery of the entire system and damaged the integrity of the game

If you're going to be corrupt, at least be consistent
Having FSU out of the playoffs is a joke, as is having them above UGA & OSU

Shit, if Travis is that meaningful that you're going to exclude an undefeated P5 team from the playoffs for the first time ever, he should be a shoe-in for the Heisman

Fly him to New York now, give him the trophy and start filming Heisman House commercials on the spot, injured leg and all

And that paper tiger was the SECs best OOC win this year.
At the very least, this highlights the fact that FSU and anyone else seriously wanting to compete for championships (Clemson & whoever else decides that football is important enough to focus on) need out of the league yesterday.

Not in 5 years, 10 years, or when the GOR is over
ASAP

5 P5 conferences
3 had undefeated teams
+ Texas beat Bama

Since you asked, this is literally telling the G5 their regular season doesn't matter.
Some would say the hypocrisy is being so adamant that records and the regular season matters - but then purposely leaving out half of the FBS and telling them "well only our record and regular season matters".

If FSU had made the CFP, I doubt there would be all this enthusiasm for the "sanctity of the regular season and undefeated seasons".

Since you asked, this is literally telling the G5 their regular season doesn't matter.
Some would say the hypocrisy is being so adamant that records and the regular season matters - but then purposely leaving out half of the FBS and telling them "well only our record and regular season matters".

If FSU had made the CFP, I doubt there would be all this enthusiasm for the "sanctity of the regular season and undefeated seasons".
All records matter.
That's the entire point of keeping score.

What also matters is who you play
If FSU didn't play UF and LSU, then the point could be made that they didn't schedule up and therefore, were content rolling the dice playing a subpar ACC schedule.

Who did Liberty play? Did they schedule up?
Did they go on the road to UVA? VT? JMU?

Negatron on that - they were content playing who they played.

Hence, their schedule was beyond trash, and they weren't, and don't even remotely deserve to be, in consideration for the CFP.

Correct, if FSU made the CPF, there wouldn't be enthusiasm for the sanctity of the regular season and undefeated seasons because, wait for it... that conversation wouldn't need to take place.

When you have a committee talking out of its ass, changing the rules as they go to fit whatever narrative they see fit, then you're going to get shit.

Here's what I didn't like about undefeated FSU being left out
1 undefeated & 2 good OOC wins against P5

Bama beat UGA, but combined what are their best OOC wins this year?

SEC has proven themselves in past CFB,
But if you haven't won all your games your schedule should stack up. YES, SOS is strong but is there SEC bias in play? ACC won more head-head against SEC this year.

All records matter.
That's the entire point of keeping score.

What also matters is who you play
If FSU didn't play UF and LSU, then the point could be made that they didn't schedule up and therefore, were content rolling the dice playing a subpar ACC schedule.

Who did Liberty play? Did they schedule up?
Did they go on the road to UVA? VT? JMU?

Negatron on that - they were content playing who they played.

Hence, their schedule was beyond trash, and they weren't, and don't even remotely deserve to be, in consideration for the CFP.

Correct, if FSU made the CPF, there wouldn't be enthusiasm for the sanctity of the regular season and undefeated seasons because, wait for it... that conversation wouldn't need to take place.

When you have a committee talking out of its ass, changing the rules as they go to fit whatever narrative they see fit, then you're going to get shit.

What matters more - records or who you played?

If you want to say all records matter over all else - then FSU and Liberty should both be in.
Easy solution to just make it about records above all else. Let the "who you play" come 2nd to break ties in record.

If you want to say "all records matter but also who you play" - then it opens up the possibility of FSU and Liberty not making it.
Because "undefeated" isn't the end all be all as some are making it out to seem.
Can't have it both ways,

Also, "scheduling up" doesn't really mean anything when comparing resumes (which you have to do because as we've established just saying "I'm undefeated" doesn't carry weight in the current system).
If FSU scheduled and beat Rutgers and Nebraska - would the same argument be made?
"We scheduled up and played 2 Big Ten teams".
Of course not.
As we've established - who you play matters.
LSU is #13 (9-3) and a very good win.
Florida is 5-7.

What matters more - records or who you played?

If you want to say all records matter over all else - then FSU and Liberty should both be in.
Easy solution to just make it about records above all else. Let the "who you play" come 2nd to break ties in record.

If you want to say "all records matter but also who you play" - then it opens up the possibility of FSU and Liberty not making it.
Because "undefeated" isn't the end all be all as some are making it out to seem.
Can't have it both ways,

Also, "scheduling up" doesn't really mean anything when comparing resumes (which you have to do because as we've established just saying "I'm undefeated" doesn't carry weight in the current system).
If FSU scheduled and beat Rutgers and Nebraska - would the same argument be made?
"We scheduled up and played 2 Big Ten teams".
Of course not.
As we've established - who you play matters.
LSU is #13 (9-3) and a very good win.
Florida is 5-7.
It's always about records first, that's the entire point of keeping score

However, that's loaded question when you factor in P5 vs. G5 - that's a false equivalency at its finest, as you can't even remotely compare Liberty vs. FSU's schedules.

If there were 5 undefeated G5 teams, then who you played comes into the conversation.

When you're playing Sam Houston State & New Mexico State (who beat Auburn by 20, whom Bama needed 4th and 35 to beat, yet still won the game, which is what ultimately matters), that arguement falls flat.

You can only play who's on your schedule; however, you can attempt to schedule up to avoid what happened.

If FSU wanted, they could have played Vandy, Miss St., South Carolina, Kentucky, or some other subpar SEC team. They wouldn't have scheduled Rutgers or Nebraska, because respectfully, neither have been very good as of late and that's not going to help them.

Instead, they scheduled a quasi-home and home (neutral site games in one another's respective states) in order to beef up their SOS. It's not their fault LSU underperformed (yet still might have the Heisman winner, whom we kept in check all game), UF (though loaded with talent) was trash, Clemson was down and Miami pulled their usual "we think we're back but we actually suck" schtick

We're playing Bama and UGA coming up w/home and homes, and built our reputation as the road warriors playing anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Yet we have a committee devalue the entire regular season and conference championship games based on what? TCU shitting the bed last year vs. UGA?

You put Wash vs. FSU in the 2/3 game. If Tate's that good, he'll have a month to prepare and gameplan for them. Use your weapons, play D, and the game will be competitive as FSU's defense is outstanding

You beat Wash, you can't beat Michigan or Texas? Mich hasn't looked impressive all year, and though Texas is on a roll, they lost to Oklahoma. Plus, having a month off does them no favors as it halts their momentum.

Further, Michigan should be in no question. but you give them a 1 seed after they've admitted to cheating? That, among other things, is why the NCAA is a laughable bunch of clowns masquerading as experts who actually know what the **** they're doing

I've got to question the veracity of this report. That doesn't sound like the kind of thing BC would do.
WVU guys have notoriously been bs'ers, but as I said previously, this can only help schools wanting to get out (FSU, Clemson, etc.)

BC will never be revaletnt again in our lifetimes, so I agree it's not something they'd likely do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT