ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If I hear/see one more thing about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift........

She is and always has been a phony. She's carrying on like he had 4 TD catches of 99 yds each to win the Super Bowl when in reality he had a 3yd TD catch to make it 41 pts in a blowout game 3rd game of season. She lives for the attention no wonder why she cant hang onto a man. Told my wife & kids she's not really good looking you'd think I committed murder.

She is a moneymaking machine though

Last edited:
I can't believe that Swift is as popular as Presley was. The media works to make Taylor Swift popular, whereas the media just captured the screaming maniacs fainting when Elvis Presley walked by.
No man took my daughters to TS at MetLife 1 had tickets and my 14yr old was outside with 10k to 15k other people singing to the stadium. I actually think it was more fun outside the stadium. for whatever reason she connects with teenage girls. My wife & I were standing against metal barricade keeping you 10ft from wall & fence to stadium and you would not believe how many people were coming up to the barricade taking selfies like they were in front row. My wife and I were like WTF are wrong with people. Dont think I ever laughed so hard

Reactions: bac2therac
Always found this quote funny and amazing:

George Martin quote on the back of the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl Album: My youngest daughter, Lucy, now nine years old, once asked me about them, "You
used to record them, didn't you, Daddy?" she asked, "Were they as great as the Bay City Rollers?" "Probably not," I replied. Some day she will find out.
Lol loved the Bay City Rollers. S. A. T. U. R. D. A. Y. Night.

For months all I heard was TS songs in my car, in my wife's car from both my daughters phones....I will say that is the 1 bad thing about blue tooth connecting phones to car stereo. I lost my control of music. The phenomenon is over in my household for the most part thankfully

Couldn't say it any better.. Beatles were brilliant songwriters recording on primitive equipment . Granted, studio musicians like Billy Preston, Bernard Purdy, etc were brought in from time to time, but the songs are timeless. How many Taylor Swift Songs will be around 50 years from now?
Michael Jackson and Elvis were iconic entertainers, who will also be timeless.
As far as the Taylor Swift/ Travis Kelce matchup. It may cater to the whims of Shallow America, but
Kelce is one of the most talented Tight Ends in History. Taylor Swift is an above average talent, with as stated above, a brilliant production/promotion team behind her. Taylor Dayne has WAY more talent than Swift..
Taylor Swift is very popular and likable however. Travis Kelce, unless you're a Chief's fan, not so much..
I’ve always thought it folly to bash the big pop acts of the day. It’s music designed to appeal to a huge, broad audience with the popular sound of the day. The absurdity of mass audience hysteria is nothing new. The Beatles stopped performing live by 1967 because they realized that much of the audiences weren’t listening to anything, there was only mindless screaming. There are plenty of young, talented musicians, singers, songwriters out there today making excellent music. They don’t get mainstream exposure. Nothing new to any of this.

Age has nothing to do with previous comments. I am not old enough to be a boomer, but have been a professional musician for decades..Taylor Swift is not a great talent. I do not judge music by its time stamp, rather by its quality. If the Taylor Dayne reference is too “dated” for you,I could name dozens more Talented than TS.
Someone like Bruno Mars, is in a completely different league as a vocalist & entertainer..

For months all I heard was TS songs in my car, in my wife's car from both my daughters phones....I will say that is the 1 bad thing about blue tooth connecting phones to car stereo. I lost my control of music. The phenomenon is over in my household for the most part thankfully

This. My girls are not into her (thankfully) but their friends got swept up in it. To be honest, it didn’t seem much different than the boy band craze 30+ years ago.

No group will ever top the Beatles in popularity and the quality of their songs. Beatlemania is a perfect description of their arrival on the music scene.
Here is the truth about all of this - it's all about timing! Who would the Beatles be today coming out and who would Taylor Swift be back then coming out? You most likely wouldn't have even heard of either of them - both had right place/right time. Such totally different landscapes, so in a sense you are comparing apples and oranges - and say what you will, but both were the clear #1 for their periods.

Reactions: okieKnight908
Here is the truth about all of this - it's all about timing! Who would the Beatles be today coming out and who would Taylor Swift be back then coming out? You most likely wouldn't have even heard of either of them - both had right place/right time. Such totally different landscapes, so in a sense you are comparing apples and oranges - and say what you will, but both were the clear #1 for their periods.

Except subsequent artists build on what their predecessors did. In 20 years somebody might take some of Swift's work product and build on it. I would say she will have to provide more of a legacy than she currently has, but there's time. Not really a fair comparison.

Are people seriously comparing Taylor Swift, a corporate created pop singer, with Elvis, the Beatles and Michael Jackson?

Have you heard her music? Have you listened to the lyrics?

You will feel dumber after you do. I am not too old to be completely outside the target audience and I can't name one song. The one's I've heard beyond some of the big hits contain some of the poorest written lyrics I've heard in major pop music.

The number of song-writers, engineers and experienced studio musicians putting together 'her' music could likely fill your office space. They deserve the credit for making her music catchy.

The general population may be getting dumber as time goes on, but that doesn't mean that she's as talented or as famous as some of the greats that have graced our ears in the last 100 years. I'm not condoning Michael Jackson in his later years but he's the closest comparison given his music. The King of Pop had more talent in his pinky finger than Taylor Swift has in her whole being.
I mean she's by far the most popular artist of this generation and she writes her own stuff. To say she's not talented is ridiculous. Also it's clear you haven't listened to her albums only the stuff on the radio. Lyrics in albums like folklore and evermore are very complex and meaningful. Also her new album is fantastic.

A lot of opinions and information from several people who say they have no interest in Taylor Swift. Kind of ironic.

Yep. Lot of old guys here scoffing at a gal would would probably make them have a heart attack, if they saw her in person. That and the musical purists who probably couldn’t play three notes if you gave them an instrument 😂

Are people seriously comparing Taylor Swift, a corporate created pop singer, with Elvis, the Beatles and Michael Jackson?

Have you heard her music? Have you listened to the lyrics?

You will feel dumber after you do. I am not too old to be completely outside the target audience and I can't name one song. The one's I've heard beyond some of the big hits contain some of the poorest written lyrics I've heard in major pop music.

The number of song-writers, engineers and experienced studio musicians putting together 'her' music could likely fill your office space. They deserve the credit for making her music catchy.

The general population may be getting dumber as time goes on, but that doesn't mean that she's as talented or as famous as some of the greats that have graced our ears in the last 100 years. I'm not condoning Michael Jackson in his later years but he's the closest comparison given his music. The King of Pop had more talent in his pinky finger than Taylor Swift has in her whole being.
Grumpy old man alert!

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
Yep. Lot of old guys here scoffing at a gal would would probably make them have a heart attack, if they saw her in person. That and the musical purists who probably couldn’t play three notes if you gave them an instrument 😂

Thanks for the laugh. Well-put.

There is a whole universe of people that can’t name a TS song. I kind of like her and have no problem one way or another. But it is a fact- walk tge street- ask 10 people “name a TS song”
Now ask same 10- so we don’t screw up age groups- name a Beatles, Elvis, Sinatra, Jackson, Whitney song…
Maybe I am mid understanding the question but she may have a crazy following but she does not move a generation
Elvis? I don't think so. You know anyone under 20 who knows an Elvis song?

Honestly Kanye throwing serious shade at her ok at the Grammys was the best thing to happen to her. I know someone that paid 6K for 2 tickets 3k each. Forrrrr what!!!! I 1000% would not let my wife or daughter pay $1k per
my daughter ended getting tickets for book at $240 each for 2 tickets like a week before.

This is my life, and my car experiences right now, haha

Reactions: greenknight
We were in the parking lot at Met Life. These were not just locals. NJ, MA, CT, VT, NH, PA, OH, IA, CO, TX. Lots from Canada. My 14 yr old befriended 3 girls that were from VT or NH forget. They didnt even have tickets they were down here in hotel with parents for like 3 days trying to get reasonable tickets. Meanwhile wasting all those $$ in hotel. Its insane the amount of money she brought to the local & national economy. I read something where they said she increased to US GDP

Cant believe I have like 10 posts on Taylor Swift someone pass the box of #2's my way

Ok here is a Boomers opinion. My daughter has always been a TS fan , she is 31. So of course I heard a lot of TS songs. Can i name a few that I like , yes. Do I not know most of them, also yes. But for those of you saying she is not talented, really?

When you mention Elvis , Frank, and a few more. They were singers, they did not write their own lyrics or music. TS writes all of her songs. My daughter went to her concert and told me it was the best concert production she ever saw. She showed me some clips on youtube and I have agree it was impressive.

If you get a chance look up on YT her duet with Bon Iver, pretty darn good song and lyrics.

She is by all accounts a good person. She goes out of her way to be open to her fans. She gave all the truckers and roadies a $100k bonus at the end of her US tour. Do you see her acting like the Kardashians, no. As some people have mentioned her tour is the biggest in history and cannot wait to see what her movie brings in, someone was brilliant with that idea.

My parents did not like the music I grew up with , but my kids still come to Springsteen and James Taylor concerts with me . So times change and taste of music is up to the person listening.

So let me finish with her lyrics from an old song of hers , that fits well with this thread:

And I can see you years from now in a bar
Talking over a football game
With that same big loud opinion
But nobody's listening
Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things
Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing
But all you are is mean
All you are is mean
And a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life
And mean, and mean, and mean, and mean
But someday, I'll be living in a big old city
And all you're ever gonna be is mean, yeah

Last edited:
A lot of opinions and information from several people who say they have no interest in Taylor Swift. Kind of ironic.
Old people yelling at the sky. Interesting so many athletes and actors, including Aaron Rodgers like her music. I like some of her music but haven’t brought any of it.

First there was Cher, Madonna, Brittney Spear and now Taylor Swift. Oh wait, Beyoncé is in there someplace.

Last edited:
I don’t think any musical act can approach the impact that the Beatles had on the world. To me, they moved the needle more than anyone. But to minimize what TS has done, and call her “corporate made” is just silly. Her parents upended the family and moved to TN where she was writing songs for other performers at age 13. There’s talent there. She’s parlayed that into a net worth of $750mm, and she’s by far the most influential entertainer of this generation.

Kelce is a great TE but he's also a meathead.
I have found the Swift/Kelce thing curious/suspicious from the start.
He's not her type at all but I could see where she might appreciate someone "basic" and not afraid of her.

However now that Kelce is in the news every day about Taylor, he's also doing ads (with his mother) and promos for vaccines and Bud Light. I think that's the key to what's going on. Marketers and hypsters drool over NFL ability to draw eyeballs. Taylor Swift might be even more red hot right now. I think there is probably a ton of money behind this coincidence. Indirect, associative marketing of unpopular items perhaps

She is and always has been a phony. She's carrying on like he had 4 TD catches of 99 yds each to win the Super Bowl when in reality he had a 3yd TD catch to make it 41 pts in a blowout game 3rd game of season. She lives for the attention no wonder why she cant hang onto a man. Told my wife & kids she's not really good looking you'd think I committed murder.

She is a moneymaking machine though
I have no dog in this fight but I dont think she’s a phony. She reportedly helped clean up the KC Cheifs box after the game. I mean, who does that? She also gave each of the hundreds of roadies, truckers and staff $100,000 each at the end of her tour.

Kelce is a great TE but he's also a meathead.
I have found the Swift/Kelce thing curious/suspicious from the start.
He's not her type at all but I could see where she might appreciate someone "basic" and not afraid of her.

However now that Kelce is in the news every day about Taylor, he's also doing ads (with his mother) and promos for vaccines and Bud Light. I think that's the key to what's going on. Marketers and hypsters drool over NFL ability to draw eyeballs. Taylor Swift might be even more red hot right now. I think there is probably a ton of money behind this coincidence. Indirect, associative marketing of unpopular items perhaps

How happy is Bud Light ?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT