ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Irish Whiskey

NoLondonBroil

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2015
I am not well versed with the style, other than doing shots of it. It's always struck me as being kind of light and nondescript. Which is why I figure it's no big deal to throw it in an Irish coffee.

The local store carries some premium and extra aged versions of big labels - Bushmills, Jameson, Tullamore Dew. Black Bush, Jameson Black Barrell, 12 year, 16 year, etc.

Anyone have an opinion on any of these?

I don't care for Jameson, I believe all that advertising is the only thing making it popular. Of that list I'd go with Tullamore Dew. Smooth and reasonable price. Just like other whiskeys, you can spend a crazy amount for a good Irish whiskey. Found something called Wolfhound at my local Total Wine that's reasonably priced ($20) and very smooth, well rated.

Jameson is actually Irish, i.e. it's made in Ireland. Bushmill's is from Northern Ireland. For me, it's Jameson. Neat. Don't mess it up by pouring it in coffee and adding brown sugar and cream.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I've been a Jameson fan for 20 years. Prefer on the rocks. I've had their gold and Middleton rare. Much more of a drinker than connoisseur... So I generally prefer the big bottle.

NLB - I've had both Jameson and Tully 12 years. Both are pretty good, but at double the price of the regular version, not sure they are worth it. I could be wrong, but maybe blends don't improve as much as single malts with age? Nice for 4Real to chime in here.

I think the Tullys in general are more drinkable (and I like them a lot better in Irish coffees). But Jameson might be more complex and/or interesting. I guess it depends on what you are going for. I generally prefer shots of Jameson and sipping/mixing Tully, but I can go either way.

The quick tutorial...

Irish whiskey is more similar to American whiskey and bourbon than it is to Scotch whiskey. Scotch whiskey (which by definition must be distilled in Scotland) is distilled from a mash comprised entirely of malted barley. Irish whiskey (must be distilled in Ireland or Northern Ireland) is distilled from a mash comprised of any cereal grains.

The net effect on taste depends entirely on the mash bill, just like with the various bourbons that OP has sampled. A mash bill with a high rye content will tend to be "drier", while lower rye content along with higher wheat or oat content will produce a spirit that tends to be "sweeter".

The perceived lightness is achieved by aging in larger barrels than is customary for American whiskies. A given aging duration will produce a spirit that contains fewer tannins and vanillans due to the larger barrel size. (This is also true for Scotch whiskey)

RU4Real, Is Irish whiskey not distilled three times, and is that not what also distinguishes it from other whiskeys?

By the way, folks, I believe in Scotland, it's whisky, not whiskey.

I've become partial to Greenspot. Maybe too smooth for some and a little pricey but it's my current goto bottle.

Originally posted by RUinPinehurst:
RU4Real, Is Irish whiskey not distilled three times, and is that not what also distinguishes it from other whiskeys?

By the way, folks, I believe in Scotland, it's whisky, not whiskey.
Nah.

The number of times you distill a spirit has everything to do with how efficient your still is and the parts of the run in which you make your cuts. Copper pot stills (the traditional design for all whiskey products, although column stills traditionally used for vodka are now gaining favor among impurists) aren't particularly efficient. A first run will have a very heavy botanical essence in all but a very narrow portion of the still run (the 'heart cut'). The more you distill the remainder, the more you increase the overall proof of the distillate and diminish the botanical effect, i.e. drive the taste of the grain out of the spirit.

How to balance the whole process is a topic worthy of hours-long discussion, but the bottom line is that the number of times a product is distilled isn't definitive, for any spirit. It's just a thing that some (or many) distilleries do because it's what works best for their process and flavor profile.

And by the way, 'whisky' and 'whiskey' are entirely interchangeable in all contexts.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Using whiskey to refer to Scotch whisky CAN get you in trouble in Scotland. Similarly using whisky to refer to Irish whiskey in Ireland WILL get you in trouble. Those folks take the nuances of language and culture seriously, as do they also take seriously their native spirits. Best "whisky" I ever had was at a small distillery in Pitlochry. Finished my supply before I left the country.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
A bit OT, but I heard on the show, "Drinking Made Easy" if you don't know what you're doing while making moonshine, it's possible to distill a product that is deadly/poisonous to drink. Is this just hype?

Say, 4Real,

I've heard rumours of a whisky being distilled in New Jersey. You know anything about that, or where one might purchase some?

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:
Say, 4Real,

I've heard rumours of a whisky being distilled in New Jersey. You know anything about that, or where one might purchase some?
You'll have to work quickly - I understand dem revenuers is after dem.

Enjoying Jameson's today in a Manhattan. Very smooth and just enough smoke to make it interesting. Trying to be accepting, I bought a Bushmills this week. Prefer this with ice. Both are quite drinkable.

Originally posted by SkilletHead2:

Originally posted by Upstream:
Skillet

http://www.blackprincedistillery.com/product_rjhodges_american.php
Thanks, Upstream! (I was actually referring to that Olde Spye guy, but good to know there is some competition!)
It's not "competition". None of the products produced by the linked company are produced in NJ.

Tried both Black Bush and Jameson Select Black Barrel tonight.

The best thing I can say about them is that they would be easy to drink in quantity. Kind of like Bud Light.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Just so long as you know what you're getting.

Agree with Sean about Green Spot - hard to find in US though - stock up in Duty Free after each trip

Tullys not bad second - Jami pretty good too.

As long as it's Irish.....

This post was edited on 3/14 11:32 PM by JoeRU

Originally posted by BellyFullOfWhiteDogCrap:

A bit OT, but I heard on the show, "Drinking Made Easy" if you don't know what you're doing while making moonshine, it's possible to distill a product that is deadly/poisonous to drink. Is this just hype?
It's somewhat hyperbolic, but technically true.

The first distillate out of the still, at roughly 145 degrees, is methanol. Methanol is poisonous. Pretty much everyone who has enough brains to run a still knows that you don't keep the first cut of the distillate - some folks pitch it over their shoulders for good luck, some just pour it down the drain. Others, myself included, find that it makes great lighter fluid.

Anyway, there's enough of a temperature spread between methanol and ethanol that you'd have to already be brain damaged to screw it up. Also, methanol tastes like shit so you'd be unlikely to drink it, anyway.

Green spot is definitely getting easier to find, at least here in NJ, and yellow spot can be found too.
One that I drank in Ireland and it great but isn't distributed here is Writers tears. If a friend goes over, I tell them to bring a bottle back.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

The first distillate out of the still, at roughly 145 degrees, is methanol. Methanol is poisonous. Pretty much everyone who has enough brains to run a still knows that you don't keep the first cut of the distillate - some folks pitch it over their shoulders for good luck, some just pour it down the drain. Others, myself included, find that it makes great lighter fluid.

Anyway, there's enough of a temperature spread between methanol and ethanol that you'd have to already be brain damaged to screw it up. Also, methanol tastes like shit so you'd be unlikely to drink it, anyway.
Methanol is deadly, but 4Real is absolutely right that someone would have to be a moron to not know that methanol boils at 148F and ethanol boils at 173F (at atmospheric pressure), and to not separate those distillation "cuts" out of the still. If people are generating a lot of methanol, though, there are plenty of markets for it - especially windshield wiper fluid over the past decade or two.

4Real - I'm assuming you're using a single stage "still" correct? I know they're a lot simpler and less expensive to operate (and buy) than continuous distillation columns (that's why we mostly use them in the pharma industry, when we need to distill, but our "product" is rarely in the distillate, so it's a different issue). I don't know much about the industry - just curious if many distilleries use columns vs. one-pot batch distillation.

Good luck with the business - not a Scotch drinker, but most of the rest of our tailgate crew is - is any of your product out on the market yet (look, I know we argue about stuff - doesn't mean I don't want to see a fellow RU grad and football fan succeed in what I'm sure is a labor of love)?

Originally posted by RU848789:

Methanol is deadly, but 4Real is absolutely right that someone would have to be a moron to not know that methanol boils at 148F and ethanol boils at 173F (at atmospheric pressure), and to not separate those distillation "cuts" out of the still. If people are generating a lot of methanol, though, there are plenty of markets for it - especially windshield wiper fluid over the past decade or two.

4Real - I'm assuming you're using a single stage "still" correct? I know they're a lot simpler and less expensive to operate (and buy) than continuous distillation columns (that's why we mostly use them in the pharma industry, when we need to distill, but our "product" is rarely in the distillate, so it's a different issue). I don't know much about the industry - just curious if many distilleries use columns vs. one-pot batch distillation.

Good luck with the business - not a Scotch drinker, but most of the rest of our tailgate crew is - is any of your product out on the market yet (look, I know we argue about stuff - doesn't mean I don't want to see a fellow RU grad and football fan succeed in what I'm sure is a labor of love)?
Pots vs. columns is almost a religion in the industry. From the perspective of pure practicality it's always seemed to me that very high-proof distillates would reasonably benefit from using a column still and in fact the vodka industry has adopted them almost universally. The alleged exception to that rule is Tito's, but they're taking a lot of heat lately for lying about their process, so what they really do is not well understood at this point.

It stands to reason, then, that spirits with actual flavor profiles, i.e. whiskey (including bourbon) and rum would benefit more from a pot still. We're absolutely going that route. The TTB says that whiskey must be distilled at less than 160 proof and must have the general flavor, aroma and characteristics consistent with whiskey. So the question of "why use a column still" is, to me, an easy one to answer - I never would.

Nevertheless, whiskey distilleries are using them. They push the upper limit of the rules for ABV, cut the distillate with water before aging and then generally cut it again at bottling time.

This speaks to my more or less religious conflict with the commercial industry and so speaks largely to my passion for it - I believe that whiskey should taste like more than alcohol and wood. Finding a mass-produced whiskey product wherein the grains are easily discernible is getting increasingly more difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Right now the TTB licensing process is 99% complete and we're waiting for a construction start date on the space. Hopefully by football season we can be bringing branded, labeled product to tailgates.

This speaks to my more or less religious conflict with the commercial industry and so speaks largely to my passion for it - I believe that whiskey should taste like more than alcohol and wood. Finding a mass-produced whiskey product wherein the grains are easily discernible is getting increasingly more difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Right now the TTB licensing process is 99% complete and we're waiting for a construction start date on the space. Hopefully by football season we can be bringing branded, labeled product to tailgates.
I have been fortunate enough to have very generous friends and relatives who enjoy pushing their palates, and so, have been exposed to lots and lots of expensive stuff.

After having tasted some of RU4Real's little hobby, the bolded part is the single most important distinction I have ever tasted in spirits. Big-run spirits market the length of aging, the type of barrels, the number of distillations... all because they don't sell a product that tastes like what it was made from.

His product is exceptional, and even the hard-core whiskey drinkers who like to stand on their wallets have been blown away from sipping it neat, room temp. None of it has aged for 12 or 16 years... and it doesn't have to be.

Some of the most expensive wines on the market are close to the highest end of winemaking technique there is, and it would take absurd investments for a home farmer/winemaker to produce comparable product. World-class restaurants can prepare incredible food, but an experienced home chef can come pretty close to the same level of quality. Homebrew is often at least as good, if not better, than the commercial stuff. But spirits are different.

Now, I want you to think about the first time you had a really, really, incredible steak. Like a life-changing steak.

Now imagine that previously you had only ever eaten at Applebee's.

That's what the difference in quality is like, between anything you can find in a liquor store, versus what RU4Real is making.

homer_simpson_on_a_chair_by_HamJava.jpg

Originally posted by RU848789:

Pots vs. columns is almost a religion in the industry. From the perspective of pure practicality it's always seemed to me that very high-proof distillates would reasonably benefit from using a column still and in fact the vodka industry has adopted them almost universally. The alleged exception to that rule is Tito's, but they're taking a lot of heat lately for lying about their process, so what they really do is not well understood at this point.

It stands to reason, then, that spirits with actual flavor profiles, i.e. whiskey (including bourbon) and rum would benefit more from a pot still. We're absolutely going that route. The TTB says that whiskey must be distilled at less than 160 proof and must have the general flavor, aroma and characteristics consistent with whiskey. So the question of "why use a column still" is, to me, an easy one to answer - I never would.

Nevertheless, whiskey distilleries are using them. They push the upper limit of the rules for ABV, cut the distillate with water before aging and then generally cut it again at bottling time.

Interesting, thanks. As you might expect, lots of chemists/chemical engineers dabble in various alcohol products, although, oddly, far more dabble in brewing beer than in distilling spirits, like whiskey - I would think distilled spirits would appeal to more chemical engineers. You'd be amazed by some of the computer modeling tools we have for predicting batch and continuous column distillations of multicomponent mixtures, although fermentations produce far more chemicals than one would likely be able to model well, with regard to distillation.

Being a scientist, I'd like to think that people could truly "define," chemically, what makes a great whisky (or wine or steak, for that matter), with enough data and customer feedback. On the other hand, knowing there are literally hundreds of organic chemicals/flavors in the fermented precursor, and knowing how complex the sense of taste is, that's probably not a realistic expectation. Although it would certainly be interesting to see if the products considered the "best" have differing chemical "fingerprints" from those not thought of as highly.

And my guess is through painstaking trial and error you've hit on some combination of fermentation conditions and subsequent combinations of distillation cuts (and post-processing) to make a product that gets people both drunk and happy, lol. Unfortunately, I don't like whiskey, so I would be a bad taste-tester (something about getting horrifically hammered on whiskey when I was 12 and then again 15 and expelling the contents of my stomach for hours has left me scarred for life, I think). But I know mildone loves his Scotch/whiskey, so I'm guessing he'll be lining up to try it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT