ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ironic things in life

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
The schiano lbs thread got me thinking , what are some ironic or just weird things you’ve come across that just seems to be the way it is.
Here are a few :

Fat/obese people are good with diet advice . They really know how to lose weight and lose weight fast. Don’t look for the most in shape dude at the gym if you want some dieting tips, ask the fat guy . He knows.

Parking on the driveway and driving on the parkway.

Need some legal prescription drugs illegally because you don’t got a prescription? No problem. Hit up your local senior citizens community/building. These places always have a bunch of stuff floating around and deals can be made.

Workplace : don’t be too valuable . If you’re too valuable in your current position , the employer knows they can’t find someone better in that spot . So you won’t get promoted ! Ever!

Doctors office telling you “sorry, we don’t see sick people in the office for appointments”. Ummmm…ok

A foreign car with a "Buy Fresh, Buy Local" farm bumper sticker.

Reactions: BigRnj
Famous/Rich/Political people telling us to be carbon neutral while they fly around every week in their private jets, cruising on their yachts or building mansions.
Yep, my cousin is a "Limosine Liberal" who railed against me for complaining about homeless people on city street corners. Yet, my cousin owns two large homes, one in Jackson Hole Wyoming (where there is no income tax) and a vacation 5 bedroom shore home in a private beach community in Lavallette. Do you think he allows any homeless people to live in either home?

CNN_Mostly_Peaceful_arson_reporting.jpg

Huh?

That’s not politics.

That’s irony.

See the man standing in front of a dangerous, burning riot, stating it is mostly peaceful.

Better than Alannis. :)
Meh. It's political messaging using an oversimplified presentation of fact.

Good and fun irony is when a genius mathematician spends his entire life making fun of people who play the lottery and then winds up playing it just once, buying just one ticket, and winds up winning $10B.

No politics. No moral to the story. No message. No virtue signaling.

Just good clean comic irony.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Meh. It's political messaging using an oversimplified presentation of fact.

Good and fun irony is when a genius mathematician spends his entire life making fun of people who play the lottery and then winds up playing it just once, buying just one ticket, and winds up winning $10B.

No politics. No moral to the story. No message. No virtue signaling.

Just good clean comic irony.
… Mildone exclaimed ironically as he typed a moral judgment of NJG’s post, holding NJG to Mildone’s moral standards for posting and arguing against the imposition of morality and virtue signaling in a post about irony.

Thanks for the chuckle. You’re fun.

Clear Marking Paint.

Not sh*tting you, it's a real thing, almost bought it by mistake yesterday.

-Luckily Steve at Clayton said, "Do you know what you're buying".
-I said, "Sure marking paint".
-He said, "No, it's Clear Marking paint?"
-My Reaction, WTF?

Reactions: mildone
… Mildone exclaimed ironically as he typed a moral judgment of NJG’s post, holding NJG to Mildone’s moral standards for posting and arguing against the imposition of morality and virtue signaling in a post about irony.

Thanks for the chuckle. You’re fun.
My post contained no statements of morality, or virtue, at all. My post was about fun apolitical irony versus political messaging and argument starting.

You posting what you posted begs someone to post the irony of a president leading an insurrection at the Capital while claiming an election was stolen. Which begs someone to post something about antifa using fascist tactics while claming to be opposed to fascism. Which begs someone to post some response to that. You get the idea (although you'll claim you don't).

You're playing dumb now, which you like to do when you know you can't win the argument. But we all know that you know full well that what you're doing is provoking a political debate as opposed to having fun with irony. Because, for you, chasing your political opposition in endless circles on the political mouse wheel and getting nowhere is fun.

For most of us, it's not fun. It's annoying. And we wish y'all (on both sides) would keep it to the CE board instead of polluting the FB forum with it.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Wasn't there a rat poison that was pulled from the market because it caused cancer in rats?

Reactions: RUtix4me
My post contained no statements of morality, or virtue, at all. My post was about fun apolitical irony versus political messaging and argument starting.

You posting what you posted begs someone to post the irony of a president leading an insurrection at the Capital while claiming an election was stolen. Which begs someone to post something about antifa using fascist tactics while claming to be opposed to fascism. Which begs someone to post some response to that. You get the idea (although you'll claim you don't).

You're playing dumb now, which you like to do when you know you can't win the argument. But we all know that you know full well that what you're doing is provoking a political debate as opposed to having fun with irony. Because, for you, chasing your political opposition in endless circles on the political mouse wheel and getting nowhere is fun.

For most of us, it's not fun. It's annoying. And we wish y'all (on both sides) would keep it to the CE board instead of polluting the FB forum with it.
Lots of virtue signaling in this post.

#Ironic

something to consider when you find a post that annoys you is to not read and keep scrolling. That way you dont keep the stuff that annoys you going. Kind of like those emails at work where people say, stop replying all, when they are replying all

Kind of like those emails at work where people say, stop replying all, when they are replying all
Or the person on the e-mail who ALWAYS has to have the last e-mail/word.

Or the same person has to respond "received" to every message in the corporate messaging app that has an indicator that the message was received and/or read by the recipient.

We call them the overmessagers or overinclusive messagers.

Maybe it's not like that at all, but I feel better now.

Reactions: newell138
Never thought about it until seeing Bill Gates. Couple that with his build, and questions arise. Not judging, just asking. Do men do this?

360 post Reddit thread on it.

I think it may have been a fashion thing at one point, but I never did it. Sweaters are meant to keep yourself warm, not wear it around your ass.

I think it may have been a fashion thing at one point, but I never did it. Sweaters are meant to keep yourself warm, not wear it around your ass.
I've tied stuff around my waist like that, so I could retain it, but not wear it. Usually a sweatshirt or jacket. I never felt "feminine," but maybe others were thinking differently when they saw me.

It reminds of the way kids carried books in school back in the day before back packs: dudes at their hip, arm straight down, chicks up at the chest, elbow bent. At least that's how it was in Maryland. I'm pretty sure I would never have considered the "chick" method back then...

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT