ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ironic things in life

Irony might be someone obsessed with personal freedom not understanding that cancelling an event at a private business is just that business exerting the freedom we find so precious.

Reactions: RU205
Irony might be someone obsessed with personal freedom not understanding that cancelling an event at a private business is just that business exerting the freedom we find so precious.
Not might be. It is. It meets the dictionary definition of irony.

To be fair, one is personal freedom and the other is corporate freedom. But both are freedom of speech. The brewery in question is asserting its freedom of speech by saying the rally doesn’t reflect their values and opting not to host it.

No censorship is involved at all here. Everybody on all sides has fully retained their freedom of speech.

Not might be. It is. It meets the dictionary definition of irony.

To be fair, one is personal freedom and the other is corporate freedom. But both are freedom of speech. The brewery in question is asserting its freedom of speech by saying the rally doesn’t reflect their values and opting not to host it.

No censorship is involved at all here. Everybody on all sides has fully retained their freedom of speech.

Thanks for the insightful response. I understand your point about the nuance between personal freedom and corporate freedom and I agree.

I disagree that this is about freedom of speech at all. Either side. I’m not sure what “freedom” it falls under, but I think a business is free to decide “we don’t want a bunch of jerk*ffs having a rally led by a murderer in our establishment”. That might just fall under “we own it and unless you can find a law we are violating we get to make decisions”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT