ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Hootie/Darius Rucker Most Underrated 20th Century Artist?

Didn’t you see Jerry maguire?
Cuba gooding
You think we could recruit Cuba Gooding Jr. as a WR right now? Haven't seen the movie in awhile but I'm sure there's some Hootie references in there.
Hootie & the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View is among the highest-selling albums of all time (20+ million copies sold). I thought the album was a breath of fresh air when it was released in 1994. Grunge was at its peak at the time. I hated grunge. (I have warmed up to it since.) CRV sounded nothing like grunge and I was ultra grateful. I think millions of other music lovers felt likewise, which made it the best-selling album (10.5 million copies sold) in 1995. The album certainly did not break any new ground musically, but the masses (including me) were loving the familiarity of a bunch of pop rock songs you could sing along with.

Back in 2004, I saw H&TB at the Starland Ballroom. They were on fire that night. It was among the best club shows I've ever witnessed, and I've seen hundreds. The band was in the midst of a tour, playing arenas and amphitheaters. The night at Starland was a one-off club show. Darius mentioned the large venues and commented on how impersonal they can be. He and the band were enjoying the much more intimate Starland, stating it was a great rock and roll club. They were loving the vibe, admitting the club gave them that old feeling of being a hungry band on the way up. Their performance backed up their words.

In addition to playing all their hits, they covered Led Zep, Snoop Dogg, Blackstreet, Allman Bros., Ramones and even sang a few verses of "Growin' Up" because that's what you do in Jersey. A memorable night of music, to be sure. If it weren't so memorable, I would have never remembered so much of the evening.
Well, I hope he's half as good as he was back then cause it'll be a great concert. And all your facts is what baffles me when Darius/Hootie are left out of any All Time 90's lists or best band rankings. They were a really fun band but some of their songs were so deep. I could listen to the album now and it still gives me the same feelings to this day.

Last edited:
Ty Stone is an underrated artist from Michigan. Here's one of my favorite songs/videos of his. He's a blues-oriented rocker on a country label (go figure).

I heard a song I liked on college radio when I was a kid and went to a record store to buy the LP. I couldn't remember the name of the band, just that it was "who-something". So I bought the Hootie & the Blowfish debut.

The next day I was back at the store looking to return my mistake. The kid behind the register took pity on me and allowed me to swap it for Husker Du's "Zen Arcade". I much preferred that.

Although later, I figured out the song I had heard was probably "I want you back" by the Hoodoo Gurus.

I heard a song I liked on college radio when I was a kid and went to a record store to buy the LP. I couldn't remember the name of the band, just that it was "who-something". So I bought the Hootie & the Blowfish debut.

The next day I was back at the store looking to return my mistake. The kid behind the register took pity on me and allowed me to swap it for Husker Du's "Zen Arcade". I much preferred that.

Although later, I figured out the song I had heard was probably "I want you back" by the Hoodoo Gurus.

Husker Du and Hoodoo Gurus are two of my favorites and both are very underrated, even in the "alternative" world. Always thought a great pop/punk song like "What's My Scene?" by HG should've been a big mainstream hit. As Matt Pinfield would often say, "three minutes of pure pop heaven."

Reactions: Knight Shift
I was a big fan of Hootie back in the day. Saw them at MSG and to this day I still consider it the worst concert I have seen (not that its a huge number).

He is now one of the main artists that have helped me appreciate country music. Listen to the song "So I sang". Extremely moving.

giphy.gif

I was a big fan of Hootie back in the day. Saw them at MSG and to this day I still consider it the worst concert I have seen (not that its a huge number).

He is now one of the main artists that have helped me appreciate country music. Listen to the song "So I sang". Extremely moving.

Sorry to hear about the concert :/ But wow that song was beautiful.

Darius is seriously an underrated lyricist. Loved how you can feel his emotions paint the story in that performance.

Last edited:
A friend had some extra tickets for Darius Rucker and Lady Antebellum this past summer. I went on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Darius was a good live performer and remained solidly engaged with the audience throughout the show. Ditto for Antebellum. My friend, who is a country music fan, said this is true of most country acts. They are usually solid performers and demonstrate respect and appreciation for their fans.

Reactions: RUMadBro
Saying Hootie is underrated is like a woman who orders pumpkin spice latte's with her northface jacket and Ugg boots. You know the type that requests Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' at every gathering who totally loves DMB and Oasis?

#whitegirlwednesday

Before he joined the E Street Band, Nils Lofgren had a group called Grin.
IMO, they were terrific with some awesome songs. 'Cry Toughh', 'Keith Don't Go', White Lies, I Came to Dance, Sad Letter, Rock n roll crook, Moon Tears.

Nils Lofgren also was the lead guitar on some of Neil Youngs best early albums too.

Saying Hootie is underrated is like a woman who orders pumpkin spice latte's with her northface jacket and Ugg boots. You know the type that requests Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' at every gathering who totally loves DMB and Oasis?

#whitegirlwednesday
Have to disagree with you on that. Hootie is like finding out the secret menu at Starbucks, ordering a drink no one has ever seen, and then having each person asking you what you got. People may not know what it is at first, but once they have a taste they're hooked.

I'll be blasting some Hootie at the tailgates next year.

#HootieBeforeKickoff

Hootie is another one of those artists that that the oh so sophisticated "rock critics" or the "too cool for school" kids decide they don't like and are too popular. Instead of realizing they were wrong, they double down and refuse to acknowledge that the artist is really good and in fact under-rated.

Darius is a good dude. He's a native South Carolinian who still lives in the Charleston area. Every year he puts on a weekend long concert. He's a huge college football fan and loves them Gamecocks. He's pretty visible in the area and very friendly and approachable.

Reactions: RUMadBro
Darius is a good dude. He's a native South Carolinian who still lives in the Charleston area. Every year he puts on a weekend long concert. He's a huge college football fan and loves them Gamecocks. He's pretty visible in the area and very friendly and approachable.
That’s awesome! Always glad to hear when someone is a great person off stage as well. Also, can’t go wrong with a college football fan. Wonder if he tailgates and busts out the guitar.

Have to disagree with you on that. Hootie is like finding out the secret menu at Starbucks, ordering a drink no one has ever seen, and then having each person asking you what you got. People may not know what it is at first, but once they have a taste they're hooked.

I'll be blasting some Hootie at the tailgates next year.

#HootieBeforeKickoff

Hootie is definitely as underrated as Starbucks, I'll grant you that.

Hootie is definitely as underrated as Starbucks, I'll grant you that.
Hey, you have a grande caramel frappuccino with a delicious Oreo cake pop and you’ll be humming “Only Wanna Be With You” all day long.:sunglasses:

Reactions: fsg2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT