ADVERTISEMENT

OT- It's time for the US to get out of the business called The Olympics

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
Listened to an interview of Mattsie Larson on Good Morning America. Sickening. It's not just Dr. Larson and his sexual abuse. It's the entire system where physical and mental abuse are part of the training program. And no one questioned it. No one cared for these kids, no one.
The Olympics are no longer about national pride. The Olympics has been about making money, period! For far too long.
This isn't just a US Gymnastics issue but a USOC problem. Collectively the system is a complete failure.
The Olympics, once an amateur competiions is now a cash cow for those in charge. It needs to be dismantled completely and restructred.

Used to look forward to the Olympics in the "pre-professional" days. Now I only have mild interest in the "off-the-wall" sports like team handball because no one's doing that in the hopes of making $$$ later on.

Otherwise, it's just a track and field meet or an ice skating competition you have to wait four years to see. Other sports channels don't make you wait that long for the same thing.

I still tune in to the opening and closing ceremonies. And, of course, make it a point to cheer for my favorite "Who's that?" country -- Andorra!

Last edited:
All under the "unification" flag for the two Koreas. Total joke and yet another victory for the fat guy.

Olympics same as World Cup. Tremendous corruption in the awarding of the city and the television contracts. Putin made an estimated $20-$30B personally with the Sochi games. I don't like how some athletes make fortunes from the games, while most need 1-2 jobs to help pay for their training.

That being said, I like the downhill skiing, hockey and ski jumping - and gotta admit the curling grabbed my interest a little last time.

Reactions: RUBand
Love short track speed skating, luge, skeleton and bobsled in the Winter Olympics.

And the downhill.

Love short track speed skating, luge, skeleton and bobsled in the Winter Olympics.

And the downhill.
Yep, these are all my favorites as well. Also, I’m actually more pumped this year for hockey since the NHL and KHL aren’t allowing their players to compete in the olympics. Kind of a throw back vibe, which I like.

Reactions: RUMcMahon
I’m still interested, partially for the idea of the olympics (or the former spirit of the Olympics). Then again, I’m a sucker for pomp and circumstance.

I do think the host city thing is ridiculous. They should build a permanent spot in Greece for summer, France for winter. Participating countries contribute to the funding of the sites, and take a percentage of the revenue. Pay to play, but theoretically, you’ll make a profit that can fund your training programs. In the spirit of the games, contribution (and then percentage of the take) can be scaled to what you can afford.

I’m still interested, partially for the idea of the olympics (or the former spirit of the Olympics). Then again, I’m a sucker for pomp and circumstance.

I do think the host city thing is ridiculous. They should build a permanent spot in Greece for summer, France for winter. Participating countries contribute to the funding of the sites, and take a percentage of the revenue. Pay to play, but theoretically, you’ll make a profit that can fund your training programs. In the spirit of the games, contribution (and then percentage of the take) can be scaled to what you can afford.
The current training programs couldn't give a rats ass about the athletes.

Yep, these are all my favorites as well. Also, I’m actually more pumped this year for hockey since the NHL and KHL aren’t allowing their players to compete in the olympics. Kind of a throw back vibe, which I like.
Opposite for me... I looked forward to the battles of the best of the best. Canada vs usa was epic. Now, you give the edge to the euro teams who don't have as many NHL stars but can still play their domestic pros

Reactions: IL Lusciato
The KHL is allowing their players to go. Kovalchuk and Datsyuk will be there. As usual, international hockey could be fantastic to watch, but the NHL once again gets in the way just as they do every spring with the World Championship. Very unfortunate that just as USA becomes a contender, we are left with a horribly chosen roster in 2014 and now a team captained by Brian Gionta in 2018. Missed our chance at gold in 2010.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
A bit dramatic... you should probably turn off college sports too because the same thing is happening... these are all essentially pro athletes and I'm ok with that.

The pride is in being the best.
I don' know of any young teenagers playing college or pro sports. Maybe you should listen to the interview. You will see that the drama is what these kids went through not me talking about it.

The KHL is allowing their players to go. Kovalchuk and Datsyuk will be there. As usual, international hockey could be fantastic to watch, but the NHL once again gets in the way just as they do every spring with the World Championship. Very unfortunate that just as USA becomes a contender, we are left with a horribly chosen roster in 2014 and now a team captained by Brian Gionta in 2018. Missed our chance at gold in 2010.
Nothing in it for the NHL, and plenty to lose. For years the theory was that the league would get a post-Olympic bump in ratings following the the games, but instead they just get a big hole in the middle of their season (during their prime post-football season stretch) and a risk of injuries to their big stars. The bump in ratings never materialized. To make matters worse, games will be shown on tape delay due to the time difference. Just a lose-lose for the NHL. Wish it were not the case, I love Olympic hockey with all the top players.

That why the World Cup is (usually) played in the summer, to avoid conflicts with the big EU leagues. In 2022, it will be played during the winter in Qatar (due to the heat), a lot of folks not happy- it will be very interesting to see how the top teams and players react.

Last edited:
Nothing in it for the NHL, and plenty to lose. For years the theory was that the league would get a post-Olympic bump in ratings following the the games, but instead they just get a big hole in the middle of their season (during their prime post-football season stretch) and a risk of injuries to their big stars. The bump in ratings never materialized. To make matters worse, games will be shown on tape delay due to the time difference. Just a lose-lose for the NHL. Wish it were not the case, I love Olympic hockey with all the top players.

That why the World Cup is (usually) played in the summer, to avoid conflicts with the big EU leagues. In 2022, it will be played during the winter in Qatar (do to the heat), a lot of folks not happy- it will be very interesting to see how the top teams and players react.
Yeah I get why they're not going, it's just a shame that the rest of the world makes the sacrifice so their players can go, but the NHL does not. Of course the NHL has more viewers than any other league though.

They went to Japan in 1998 because 2002 was in the US, and they went to Italy in 2006 because 2010 was in Canada, and they only went to Russia in 2014 because the Russian superstars threatened to go to the KHL if the NHL refused to let them play in the Olympics in their home country. The next winter Olympics won't be in North America, so the NHL doesn't have an interest in being a part of it anymore, which is a shame for both the fans and the players.

The NHL tried to make up for it by bringing back their own international tournament, the World Cup, but it is such a slap in the face. It has no set interval of when it takes place, instead of a defined qualification process they just handpick six countries, and then since that isn't enough teams for a viable tournament they fabricated two other rosters--one made up of the best North American players aged 23 and younger, which results in these players playing in a tournament against their own countries, and one team made up of the best players whose countries weren't chosen, essentially Team Other. I wouldn't root against Team USA, but once they were eliminated I was really hoping Team Other would end up winning just for how awkward the ceremony would have been with no anthem playing.

It's still a chance to compete against the world's best. I wonder how competitive the US eliminated the USOC facilities and bureaucracy and just used it for trials. I'm sure it would vary between sports.

Yeah, uhm, no. Love the Olympics and MOST sports have never had issues as this one in gymnastics NOR have MOST athletes been abused and/or them/their sports tainted in any way by the vast majority of the nations which partake. I get the angst to a point, however, and would love to see the "permanent site(s)" sites idea another poster mentioned, but definitely a tad over-the-top view IMHO buddy.

Reactions: newell138 and theRU
Yeah, uhm, no. Love the Olympics and MOST sports have never had issues as this one in gymnastics NOR have MOST athletes been abused and/or them/their sports tainted in any way by the vast majority of the nations which partake. I get the angst to a point, however, and would love to see the "permanent site(s)" sites idea another poster mentioned, but definitely a tad over-the-top view IMHO buddy.
I think it' a much bigger problem than you realize.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-olympic-sexual-abuse-20171118-story.html

Reactions: MorrisAsh
Abuse...if current and former athletes were to describe their training regimens...would the public recognize this as abuse?

Elite and pre-elite athletes have punished their bodies for years, coached to break down and rebuild stronger, faster, quicker. A populace that considers texting vigorous exercise is to assess that?

After the Iron Curtain fell my interest in the Olympics dropped , the U.S. vs Soviet Union was epic. Now not so much.

USAG built US Gymnastics into a powerhouse down to 5 year-olds. Shame what happened, but you dont give up on all these kids and their Olympic dreams. It has helped gymnastics on all levels including college.

USAG built US Gymnastics into a powerhouse down to 5 year-olds. Shame what happened, but you dont give up on all these kids and their Olympic dreams. It has helped gymnastics on all levels including college.
So close your eyes and let it continue as is and pray that its doesn't happen again?

Abuse...if current and former athletes were to describe their training regimens...would the public recognize this as abuse?

Elite and pre-elite athletes have punished their bodies for years, coached to break down and rebuild stronger, faster, quicker. A populace that considers texting vigorous exercise is to assess that?

This 100%. The gymnastics situation is horrible but let's not confuse elite training with criminal physical abuse.

Olympics were helped by the Cold War but they were big before that as well what with all the other commotions (Jesse Owens v Hitler etc). The IOC needs reforming badly. Get rid of all the pros. Olympics are cool - there are just too many shabby people these days.

Guy I know has a grandson went to the Rio olympics for karate - very happy with the experience.

That's 1 "accused," not "found guilty," every 6 weeks across (only) 15 sports over 36 years. 2 thoughts:

- even 1 person "accused" in 36 years is 1 too many, IMHO

- you would have to compare this #, over the same period of time, and the same # of people, with something I guess like teachers(?), to really get a feel for the depth of how bad this is, I'd guess?

I still think you're premise is over-the-top though. We're NEVER getting out of the "Olympic" business, nor should we, quite honestly. I've known Olympians (quite a few), as well as a couple dozen people who have trained to be an Olympian, and not a single one of them, even alternates and those who didn't make it that far, would EVER change the possibility of making an Olympic Games for anything in the world. I've been to a Games, as well, and it's one of the most amazing sporting events you could ever imagine attending ESPECIALLY to see/meet those athletes who have already finished with their competition. It's a giant party for these guys and gals who have busted their asses for years, if not decades, to get to where they are that point.

That's 1 "accused," not "found guilty," every 6 weeks across (only) 15 sports over 36 years. 2 thoughts:

- even 1 person "accused" in 36 years is 1 too many, IMHO

- you would have to compare this #, over the same period of time, and the same # of people, with something I guess like teachers(?), to really get a feel for the depth of how bad this is, I'd guess?

I still think you're premise is over-the-top though. We're NEVER getting out of the "Olympic" business, nor should we, quite honestly. I've known Olympians (quite a few), as well as a couple dozen people who have trained to be an Olympian, and not a single one of them, even alternates and those who didn't make it that far, would EVER change the possibility of making an Olympic Games for anything in the world. I've been to a Games, as well, and it's one of the most amazing sporting events you could ever imagine attending ESPECIALLY to see/meet those athletes who have already finished with their competition. It's a giant party for these guys and gals who have busted their asses for years, if not decades, to get to where they are that point.
We should get out of the current Olympic setup. It all needs to be restructured from top to bottom. Not just because of the events of the last few weeks but because of the overt corruption that is rampant within. A $10 billion industry and yet the payouts to the particpants is $0.
The IOC is not alone. From a corruption stand point FIFA is the king of them all.

I doubt many 5 year olds are or should be dreaming about the Olympics.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Is there a draft now for people who want to compete or do they still get to choose 1) their sport 2) or even if they want to do it?

Did I miss that part?

Last edited:
All under the "unification" flag for the two Koreas. Total joke and yet another victory for the fat guy.

A "victory?" Sometimes you have to forget about the politics. Sure, people at the top are using the athletes for their own ends, but for the athletes, they don't think much about it and it's a big deal. They won't care if a month after the games are over something unrelated happens as a result. They will remember how Korean people -- you know, actual humans -- were left with good memories.

Olympics same as World Cup. Tremendous corruption in the awarding of the city and the television contracts. Putin made an estimated $20-$30B personally with the Sochi games. I don't like how some athletes make fortunes from the games, while most need 1-2 jobs to help pay for their training.

That being said, I like the downhill skiing, hockey and ski jumping - and gotta admit the curling grabbed my interest a little last time.
I also really enjoy the downhill skiing, just watched a competition at a famous course (can’t remember exactly where)

We should get out of the current Olympic setup. It all needs to be restructured from top to bottom. Not just because of the events of the last few weeks but because of the overt corruption that is rampant within. A $10 billion industry and yet the payouts to the particpants is $0.
The IOC is not alone. From a corruption stand point FIFA is the king of them all.

Both ABSOLUTELY need to be restructured agree!!

Reactions: WhiteBus
Huge fan of the Winter Olympics , Summer close behind. Love seeing the flag on top of the medal stand

I root for the local athletes but don't know too much about the winter sports. I have had several patients that were on the Olympic teams and didn't know it until afterward.

When the Olympics were in Atlanta I went and in addition to the "amateur" sports I saw a couple basketball games - but wouldn't see the USA. I had no interest in watching the NBA guys beat up on everyone else.

If you have been watching teh Olympics for some time.. you know Samsung BOUGHT these Olympics. They have been "official sponsor".. handing out Samsung phones to all participants for selfies during the opening and closing for many olympiads now. Who knows how many palms had to be greased to get these games?

I have almost no interest in the Olympics anymore,especially the Summer Games.I did not watch a single second of the last Summer Games.Might watch a little hockey and ski jumping,but probably under four or five hours total.Prefer college hockey and the NHL.By the way,you can see high school hockey in almost every part of the state now.Tickets are usually three to five dollars tops.Great night out for families.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT